- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 587460, 8 pages
The Variety of Vertebrate Mechanisms of Sex Determination
Department of Genetics and Biotechnology, Saint-Petersburg State University, Saint-Petersburg 199034, Russia
Received 27 February 2013; Revised 26 September 2013; Accepted 28 October 2013
Academic Editor: Vassily Lyubetsky
Copyright © 2013 Antonina V. Trukhina et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Gamble and D. Zarkower, “Sex determination,” Current Biology, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. R257–R262, 2012.
- A. P. Arnold, “The end of gonad-centric sex determination in mammals,” Trends in Genetics, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 55–61, 2011.
- A. P. Arnold, X. Chen, J. C. Link, Y. Itoh, and K. Reue, “Cell-autonomous sex determination outside of the gonad,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 242, no. 4, pp. 371–379, 2013.
- A. Cutting, J. Chue, and C. A. Smith, “Just how conserved is vertebrate sex determination?” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 242, pp. 380–387, 2013.
- H. Merchant-Larios and V. Diaz-Hernandez, “Environmental sex determination mechanisms in reptiles,” Sexual Development, vol. 7, pp. 95–103, 2013.
- N. Valenzuela, J. L. Neuwald, and R. Literman, “Transcriptional evolution underlying vertebrate sexual development,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 242, pp. 307–319, 2013.
- Y. Kobayashi, Y. Nagahama, and M. Nakamura, “Diversity and plasticity of sex determination and differentiation in fishes,” Sexual Development, vol. 7, pp. 115–125, 2013.
- K. Kikuchi and S. Hamaguchi, “Novel sex-determining genes in fish and sex chromosome evolution,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 242, pp. 339–353, 2013.
- N. F. Parnell and J. T. Streelman, “Genetic interactions controlling sex and color establish the potential for sexual conflict in Lake Malawi cichlid fishes,” Heredity, vol. 110, no. 3, pp. 239–246, 2013.
- M. Nakamura, “The mechanism of sex determination in vertebrates—are sex steroids the key-factor?” Journal of Experimental Zoology, vol. 313, no. 7, pp. 381–398, 2010.
- M. I. Nakamura, “Is a sex-determining gene(s) necessary for sex-determination in amphibians? Steroid hormones may be key factor,” Sexual Development, vol. 7, pp. 104–114, 2013.
- A. J. Pask, “A role for estrogen in somatic cell fate of the mammalian gonad,” Chromosome Research, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 239–245, 2012.
- A. C. Ditewig and H. H. Yao, “Organogenesis of the ovary: a comparative review on vertebrate ovary formation,” Organogenesis, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 36–41, 2005.
- X. Yang, J. Zheng, L. Qu et al., “Methylation status of cMHM and expression of sex-specific genes in adult sex-reversed female chickens,” Sexual Development, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 147–154, 2011.
- H. L. Ellis, K. Shioda, N. F. Rosenthal, K. R. Coser, and T. Shioda, “Masculine epigenetic sex marks of the CYP19A1/Aromatase promoter in genetically male chicken embryonic gonads are resistant to estrogen-induced phenotypic sex conversion,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 87, no. 1, article 23, pp. 1–12, 2012.
- L. Fang, R. Xin, Y. Che, and S. Xu, “Expression of sex-related genes in chicken embryos during male-to-female sex reversal exposure to diethylstilbestrol,” Integrative Agriculture, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 127–135, 2013.
- T. Jiang, C. C. Hou, Z. Y. She, and W. X. Yang, “The SOX gene family: function and regulation in testis determination and male fertility maintenance,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 40, pp. 2187–2194, 2013.
- C. A. Smith, K. N. Roeszler, T. Ohnesorg et al., “The avian Z-linked gene DMRT1 is required for male sex determination in the chicken,” Nature, vol. 461, no. 7261, pp. 267–271, 2009.
- K. L. Ayers, A. H. Sinclair, and C. A. Smith, “The molecular genetics of ovarian differentiation in the avian model,” Sexual Development, vol. 7, no. 1–3, pp. 80–94, 2013.
- J. A. Graves, “How to evolve new vertebrate sex determining genes,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 242, pp. 354–359, 2013.
- F. Piferrer, “Epigenetics of sex determination and gonadogenesis,” Developmental Dynamics, vol. 242, pp. 360–370, 2013.