- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 592426, 9 pages
Topography of Striate-Extrastriate Connections in Neonatally Enucleated Rats
1Department of Psychology, and Behavior and Neuroscience Program, University of Washington, P.O. Box 351525, Seattle, WA 98195-1525, USA
2Laboratory for Motor Neuron Disease, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-Shi, Saitama Prefecture 351-0198, Japan
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 15 August 2013; Accepted 29 August 2013
Academic Editor: Eduardo Puelles
Copyright © 2013 Robyn J. Laing et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. K. Simon and D. D. M. O'Leary, “Development of topographic order in the mammalian retinocollicular projection,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 1212–1232, 1992.
- T. McLaughlin, C. L. Torborg, M. B. Feller, and D. D. M. O'Leary, “Retinotopic map refinement requires spontaneous retinal waves during a brief critical period of development,” Neuron, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1147–1160, 2003.
- J. G. Flanagan, “Neural map specification by gradients,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 59–66, 2006.
- L. C. Katz and C. J. Shatz, “Synaptic activity and the construction of cortical circuits,” Science, vol. 274, no. 5290, pp. 1133–1138, 1996.
- E. M. Miyashita-Lin, R. Hevner, K. M. Wassarman, S. Martinez, and J. L. R. Rubenstein, “Early neocortical regionalization in the absence of thalamic innervation,” Science, vol. 285, no. 5429, pp. 906–909, 1999.
- P. Vanderhaeghen, Q. Lu, N. Prakash et al., “A mapping label required for normal scale of body representation in the cortex,” Nature Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 358–365, 2000.
- A. Dufour, J. Seibt, L. Passante et al., “Area specificity and topography of thalamocortical projections are controlled by ephrin/Eph genes,” Neuron, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 453–465, 2003.
- J. Cang, M. Kaneko, J. Yamada, G. Woods, M. P. Stryker, and D. A. Feldheim, “Ephrin-As guide the formation of functional maps in the visual cortex,” Neuron, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 577–589, 2005.
- J. F. Olavarria, “Non-mirror-symmetric patterns of callosal linkages in areas 17 and 18 in cat visual cortex,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 366, no. 4, pp. 643–655, 1996.
- J. F. Olavarria, “Callosal connections correlate preferentially with ipsilateral cortical domains in cat areas 17 and 18, and with contralateral domains in the 17/18 transition zone,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 433, no. 4, pp. 441–457, 2001.
- W. H. Bosking, R. Kretz, M. L. Pucak, and D. Fitzpatrick, “Functional specificity of callosal connections in tree shrew striate cortex,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 2346–2359, 2000.
- J. F. Olavarria and C. P. Li, “Effects of neonatal enucleation on the organization of callosal linkages in striate cortex of the rat,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 361, no. 1, pp. 138–151, 1995.
- J. F. Olavarria and R. Hiroi, “Retinal influences specify cortico-cortical maps by postnatal day six in rats and mice,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 459, no. 2, pp. 156–172, 2003.
- M. E. Laramée, G. Bronchti, and D. Boire, “Primary visual cortex projections to extrastriate cortices in enucleated and anopthalmic mice,” Brain Structure and Function, 2013.
- V. M. Montero, H. Bravo, and V. Fernández, “Striate-peristriate cortico-cortical connections in the albino and gray rat,” Brain Research, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 202–207, 1973.
- V. M. Montero, A. Rojas, and F. Torrealba, “Retinotopic organization of striate and peristriate visual cortex in the albino rat,” Brain Research, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 197–201, 1973.
- V. M. Montero, “Retinotopy of cortical connections between the striate cortex and extrastriate visual areas in the rat,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 94, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1993.
- Q. Wang and A. Burkhalter, “Area map of mouse visual cortex,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 502, no. 3, pp. 339–357, 2007.
- J. Olavarria and V. M. Montero, “Relation of callosal and striate-extrastriate cortical connections in the rat: morphological definition of extrastriate visual areas,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 240–252, 1984.
- S. G. Espinoza and H. C. Thomas, “Retinotopic organization of striate and extrastriate visual cortex in the hooded rat,” Brain Research, vol. 272, no. 1, pp. 137–144, 1983.
- H. C. Thomas and S. G. Espinoza, “Relationships between interhemispheric cortical connections and visual areas in hooded rats,” Brain Research, vol. 417, no. 2, pp. 214–224, 1987.
- T. A. Coogan and A. Burkhalter, “Hierarchical organization of areas in rat visual cortex,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 13, no. 9, pp. 3749–3772, 1993.
- R. J. Laing, A. S. Bock, J. Lasiene, and J. F. Olavarria, “Role of retinal input on the development of striate-extrastriate patterns of connections in the rat,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 520, no. 14, pp. 3256–3276, 2012.
- J. Olavarria and R. C. van Sluyters, “Organization and postnatal development of callosal connections in the visual cortex of the rat,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 239, no. 1, pp. 1–26, 1985.
- M. M. Mesulam, “Tetramethyl benzidine for horseradish peroxidase neurohistochemistry: a non-carcinogenic blue reaction-product with superior sensitivity for visualizing neural afferents and efferents,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 106–117, 1978.
- W. J. S. Krieg, “Connections of the cerebral cortex I. The albino rat. A. Topography of the cortical areas,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 84, no. 2, pp. 221–275, 1946.
- V. S. Caviness Jr., “Architectonic map of neocortex of the normal mouse,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 164, no. 2, pp. 247–263, 1975.
- K. Zilles, B. Zilles, and A. Schleicher, “A quantitative approach to cytoarchitectonics. VI. The areal pattern of the cortex of the albino rat,” Anatomy and Embryology, vol. 159, no. 3, pp. 335–360, 1980.
- C. P. Richter and C. L. Warner, “Comparison of Weigert stained sections with unfixed, unstained sections for study of myelin sheaths,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 598–601, 1974.
- J. Olavarria, R. Malach, and R. C. van Sluyters, “Development of visual callosal connections in neonatally enucleated rats,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 260, no. 3, pp. 321–348, 1987.
- J. Olavarria and V. M. Montero, “Organization of visual cortex in the mouse revealed by correlating callosal and striate-extrastriate connections,” Visual Neuroscience, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 59–69, 1989.
- V. M. Montero, J. F. Brugge, and R. E. Beitel, “Relation of the visual field to the lateral geniculate body of the albino rat,” Journal of Neurophysiology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 221–236, 1968.
- P. Godement, P. Saillour, and M. Imbert, “Thalamic afferents to the visual cortex in congenitally anophthalmic mice,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 271–278, 1979.
- I. R. Kaiserman-Abramof, A. M. Graybiel, and W. J. H. Nauta, “The thalamic projection to cortical area 17 in a congenitally anophthalmic mouse strain,” Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 41–52, 1980.
- R. W. Guillery, M. Ombrellaro, and A. L. LaMantia, “The organization of the lateral geniculate nucleus and of the geniculocortical pathway that develops without retinal afferents,” Brain Research, vol. 352, no. 2, pp. 221–233, 1985.
- S. S. Warton, S. E. Dyson, and A. R. Harvey, “Visual thalamocortical projections in normal and enucleated rats: HRP and fluorescent dye studies,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 23–39, 1988.
- H. Bravo and O. Inzunza, “Effect of pre- and postnatal retinal deprivation on the striate-peristriate cortical connections in the rat,” Biological Research, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 73–77, 1994.
- D. Heumann and R. T. Rabinowicz Th., “Postnatal development of the dorsal lateral geniculate nucleus in the normal and enucleated albino mouse,” Experimental Brain Research, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 75–85, 1980.
- J. F. Olavarria and P. Safaeian, “Development of callosal topography in visual cortex of normal and enucleated rats,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 496, no. 4, pp. 495–512, 2006.
- C. E. Ribak and A. Peters, “An autoradiographic study of the projections from the lateral geniculate body of the rat,” Brain Research, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 341–368, 1975.
- W. Schober and E. Winkelmann, “Die Geniculo-Kortikale Projektion bei Albinoratten,” Journal für Hirnforschung, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 1–20, 1977.
- J. Olavarria, “A horseradish peroxidase study of the projections from the latero-posterior nucleus to three lateral peristriate areas in the rat,” Brain Research, vol. 173, no. 1, pp. 137–141, 1979.
- S. J. Karlen and L. Krubitzer, “Effects of bilateral enucleation on the size of visual and nonvisual areas of the brain,” Cerebral Cortex, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 1360–1371, 2009.
- H. C. Hughes, “Anatomical and neurobehavioral investigations concerning the thalamo cortical organization of the rat's visual system,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 311–335, 1977.
- E. G. Jones, The Thalamus, Plenum Press, New York, NY, USA, 1985.
- L. Négyessy, V. Gál, T. Farkas, and J. Toldi, “Cross-modal plasticity of the corticothalamic circuits in rats enucleated on the first postnatal day,” European Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 1654–1668, 2000.