- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 597863, 11 pages
Application of a Low-Level Laser Therapy and the Purified Protein from Natural Latex (Hevea brasiliensis) in the Controlled Crush Injury of the Sciatic Nerve of Rats: A Morphological, Quantitative, and Ultrastructural Study
1Department of Anatomy, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, University of Sao Paulo, 2415 Avenida Professor Lineu Prestes, 05508-900 Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
2Department of Morphology, Physiology and Basic Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, S/N Avenida do Café, 14040-904 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
3Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine of Ribeirao Preto, University of Sao Paulo, 3900 Avenida Bandeirantes, 14049-900 Ribeirao Preto, SP, Brazil
4Dental School, University of La Frontera, 1145 Avenida Francisco Salazar, 01145 Temuco, Chile
Received 10 April 2013; Revised 5 June 2013; Accepted 5 June 2013
Academic Editor: Richard Tucker
Copyright © 2013 Fernando José Dias et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. Lundborg, “Nerve regeneration and repair: a review,” Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 145–169, 1987.
- J. Ijkema-Paassen, K. Jansen, A. Gramsbergen, and M. F. Meek, “Transection of peripheral nerves, bridging strategies and effect evaluation,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1583–1592, 2004.
- M. F. Meek, A. S. P. Varejão, and S. Geuna, “Use of skeletal muscle tissue in peripheral nerve repair: review of the literature,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 10, no. 7-8, pp. 1027–1036, 2004.
- C.-C. Shen, Y.-C. Yang, and B.-S. Liu, “Large-area irradiated low-level laser effect in a biodegradable nerve guide conduit on neural regeneration of peripheral nerve injury in rats,” Injury, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 803–813, 2011.
- C. A. S. Pachioni, N. Mazzer, C. H. Barbieri et al., “Rats' ischiatic nerve injury caused by smashing: a vascularization study,” Acta Ortopedica Brasileira, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 203–207, 2006.
- P. M. De Albornoz, P. J. Delgado, F. Forriol, and N. Maffulli, “Non-surgical therapies for peripheral nerve injury,” British Medical Bulletin, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 73–100, 2011.
- S. Rochkind, L. Leider-Trejo, M. Nissan, M. H. Shamir, O. Kharenko, and M. Alon, “Efficacy of 780-nm laser phototherapy on peripheral nerve regeneration after neurotube reconstruction procedure (double-blind randomized study),” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 25, no. 3, pp. 137–143, 2007.
- S. Rochkind, “Phototherapy in peripheral nerve regeneration: from basic science to clinical study,” Neurosurgical Focus, vol. 26, no. 2, article E8, 2009.
- S. Rochkind, V. Drory, M. Alon, M. Nissan, and G. E. Ouaknine, “Laser phototherapy (780 nm), a new modality in treatment of long-term incomplete peripheral nerve injury: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study,” Photomedicine and Laser Surgery, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 436–442, 2007.
- S. Rochkind, S. Geuna, and A. Shainberg, “Chapter 25: phototherapy in peripheral nerve injury: effects on muscle preservation and nerve regeneration,” International Review of Neurobiology, vol. 87, pp. 445–464, 2009.
- C. C. Medalha, G. C. Di Gangi, C. B. Barbosa et al., “Low-level laser therapy improves repair following complete resection of the sciatic nerve in rats,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 629–635, 2012.
- A. Dakowicz, A. Kuryliszyn-Moskal, B. Kosztyła-Hojna, D. Moskal, and R. Latosiewicz, “Comparison of the long-term effectiveness of physiotherapy programs with low-level laser therapy and pulsed magnetic field in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome,” Advances in Medical Sciences, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 270–274, 2011.
- K. R. Byrnes, R. W. Waynant, I. K. Ilev et al., “Light promotes regeneration and functional recovery and alters the immune response after spinal cord injury,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 171–185, 2005.
- S. O. Yazdani, A. F. Golestaneh, A. Shafiee, M. Hafizi, H.-A. G. Omrani, and M. Soleimani, “Effects of low level laser therapy on proliferation and neurotrophic factor gene expression of human schwann cells in vitro,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 107, no. 1, pp. 9–13, 2012.
- D. Gigo-Benato, T. L. Russo, E. H. Tanaka, L. Assis, T. F. Salvini, and N. A. Parizotto, “Effects of 660 and 780 nm low-level laser therapy on neuromuscular recovery after crush injury in rat sciatic nerve,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 42, no. 9, pp. 673–682, 2010.
- F. Mrué, Replacement of the cervical esophagus by prosthesis biossitética Latex experimental study in dogs [Dissertation (Master’s Degree Research)], University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil, 1996.
- C. A. C. A. Balabanian, J. Coutinho-Netto, T. L. Lamano-Carvalho, S. A. Lacerda, and L. G. Brentegani, “Biocompatibility of natural latex implanted into dental alveolus of rats,” Journal of Oral Science, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 201–205, 2006.
- R. J. Mendonça, V. B. Maurício, L. De Bortolli Teixeira, J. J. Lachat, and J. Coutinho-Netto, “Increased vascular permeability, angiogenesis and wound healing induced by the serum of natural latex of the rubber tree Hevea brasiliensis,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 764–768, 2010.
- R. B. Sampaio, R. J. Mendonca, A. R. Simioni et al., “Rabbit retinal neovascularization induced by latex angiogenic-derived fraction: an experimental model,” Current Eye Research, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 56–62, 2010.
- J. P. M. Issa, H. L. A. Defino, Y. C. L. Pereira et al., “Bone repair investigation using rhBMP-2 and angiogenic protein extracted from latex,” Microscopy Research and Technique, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 145–152, 2012.
- M. V. M. Ganga, Use of a membrane derived from natural latex (Hevea brasiliensis) in regenerating rat sciatic nerve [Dissertation (Master’s Degree Research)], University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil, 2010.
- V. F. Garcez, Influence of nitric oxide in the post-injury of the sciatic nerve in rats [Dissertation (Master’s Degree Research)], University of Sao Paulo, Ribeirao Preto, Brazil, 2004.
- J. Park, E. Lim, S. Back, H. Na, Y. Park, and K. Sun, “Nerve regeneration following spinal cord injury using matrix metalloproteinase-sensitive, hyaluronic acid-based biomimetic hydrogel scaffold containing brain-derived neurotrophic factor,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 1091–1099, 2010.
- I. Watanabe and E. Yamada, “The fine structure of lamellated nerve endings found in the rat gingiva,” Archivum Histologicum Japonicum, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 173–182, 1983.
- T. A. Ferguson and Y. J. Son, “Extrinsic and intrinsic determinants of nerve regeneration,” Journal of Tissue Engineering, 2011.
- S. Raimondo, M. Fornaro, P. Tos, B. Battiston, M. G. Giacobini-Robecchi, and S. Geuna, “Perspectives in regeneration and tissue engineering of peripheral nerves,” Annals of Anatomy, vol. 193, no. 4, pp. 334–340, 2011.
- S. Kiryu-Seo and H. Kiyama, “The nuclear events guiding successful nerve regeneration,” Frontiers in Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 4, article 53, 2011.
- E. F. Oliveira, N. Mazzer, C. H. Barbieri, and M. Selli, “Correlation between functional index and morphometry to evaluate recovery of the rat sciatic nerve following crush injury: experimental study,” Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 69–75, 2001.
- M. D. Wood, S. W. P. Kemp, C. Weber, G. H. Borschel, and T. Gordon, “Outcome measures of peripheral nerve regeneration,” Annals of Anatomy, vol. 193, no. 4, pp. 321–333, 2011.
- S. P. J. Fancy, J. R. Chan, S. E. Baranzini, R. J. M. Franklin, and D. H. Rowitch, “Myelin regeneration: a recapitulation of development?” Annual Review of Neuroscience, vol. 34, pp. 21–43, 2011.
- P. Dubový, “Wallerian degeneration and peripheral nerve conditions for both axonal regeneration and neuropathic pain induction,” Annals of Anatomy, vol. 193, no. 4, pp. 267–275, 2011.
- L. Muratori, G. Ronchi, S. Raimondo, M. G. Giacobini-Robecchi, M. Fornaro, and S. Geuna, “Can regenerated nerve fibers return to normal size? A long-term post-traumatic study of the rat median nerve crush injury model,” Microsurgery, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 383–387, 2012.
- W. A. Rushton, “A theory of the effects of fibre size in medullated nerve,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 101–122, 1951.
- S. Geuna, S. Raimondo, G. Ronchi et al., “Chapter 3: histology of the peripheral nerve and changes occurring during nerve regeneration,” International Review of Neurobiology, vol. 87, pp. 27–46, 2009.
- A. P. Santos, C. A. Suaid, M. Xavier, and F. Yamane, “Functional and morphometric differences between the early and delayed use of phototherapy in crushed median nerves of rats,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 479–486, 2012.
- C. N. D. S. Câmara, M. V. H. Brito, E. L. Silveira, D. S. G. Da Silva, V. R. F. Simões, and R. W. F. Pontes, “Histological analysis of low-intensity laser therapy effects in peripheral nerve regeneration in Wistar rats,” Acta Cirurgica Brasileira, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 12–18, 2011.
- J. K. Huang, S. P. J. Fancy, C. Zhao, D. H. Rowitch, C. ffrench-Constant, and R. J. M. Franklin, “Myelin regeneration in multiple sclerosis: targeting endogenous stem cells,” Neurotherapeutics, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 650–658, 2011.
- L. C. de Andrade, R. Ceneviva, J. Coutinho-Netto, O. D. C. Silva Jr., J. S. dos Santos, and D. H. Sukeda, “Morphological features of utilization intraperitoneal double-sided prostheses in inguinoplasty in dogs,” Revista do Colegio Brasileiro de Cirurgioes, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 431–437, 2009.