- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 598056, 11 pages
Biocompatibility Assessment of Novel Collagen-Sericin Scaffolds Improved with Hyaluronic Acid and Chondroitin Sulfate for Cartilage Regeneration
1Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Bucharest, 91-95 Splaiul Independentei, 050095 Bucharest, Romania
2Collagen Department, Leather and Footwear Research Institute, 93 Ion Minulescu, 031215 Bucharest, Romania
3Advanced Polymer Materials Group, Department of Bioresources and Polymer Science, University Politehnica of Bucharest, 149 Calea Victoriei, 010072 Bucharest, Romania
4Molecular Biology and Pathology Research Lab “Molimagex”, University Hospital Bucharest, 169 Splaiul Independentei, 050098 Bucharest, Romania
5Department of Histology, Faculty of Medicine, Pharmacy and Dentistry, Vasile Goldis Western University of Arad, 1 Feleacului, 310396 Arad, Romania
6Department of Experimental and Applied Biology, Institute of Life Sciences, Vasile Goldis Western University of Arad, 86 Rebreanu, 310414 Arad, Romania
Received 19 July 2013; Accepted 27 September 2013
Academic Editor: Antonio Salgado
Copyright © 2013 Sorina Dinescu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- F. Guilak, “Functional tissue engineering: the role of biomechanics in reparative medicine,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 961, pp. 193–195, 2002.
- R. Katayama, S. Wakitani, N. Tsumaki et al., “Repair of articular cartilage defects in rabbits using CDMP1 gene-transfected autologous mesenchymal cells derived from bone marrow,” Rheumatology, vol. 43, no. 8, pp. 980–985, 2004.
- H. Fan, Y. Hu, C. Zhang et al., “Cartilage regeneration using mesenchymal stem cells and a PLGA-gelatin/chondroitin/hyaluronate hybrid scaffold,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 26, pp. 4573–4580, 2006.
- H. Park, B. Choi, J. Hu, and M. Lee, “Injectable chitosan hyaluronic acid hydrogels for cartilage tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 4779–4786, 2013.
- R. A. A. Muzzarelli, F. Greco, A. Busilacchi, V. Sollazzo, and A. Gigante, “Chitosan, hyaluronan and chondroitin sulfate in tissue engineering for cartilage regeneration: a review,” Carbohydrate Polymers, vol. 89, no. 3, pp. 723–739, 2012.
- J. A. Buckwalter and H. J. Mankin, “Articular cartilage. Part I: tissue design and chondrocyte-matrix interactions,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 600–611, 1997.
- Y. Wang, U.-J. Kim, D. J. Blasioli, H.-J. Kim, and D. L. Kaplan, “In vitro cartilage tissue engineering with 3D porous aqueous-derived silk scaffolds and mesenchymal stem cells,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 34, pp. 7082–7094, 2005.
- C.-H. Chang, H.-C. Liu, C.-C. Lin, C.-H. Chou, and F.-H. Lin, “Gelatin-chondroitin-hyaluronan tri-copolymer scaffold for cartilage tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 26, pp. 4853–4858, 2003.
- C. Chung and J. A. Burdick, “Engineering cartilage tissue,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 60, no. 2, pp. 243–262, 2008.
- S. Wakitani, T. Goto, R. G. Young, J. M. Mansour, V. M. Goldberg, and A. I. Caplan, “Repair of large full-thickness articular cartilage defects with allograft articular chondrocytes embedded in a collagen gel,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 429–444, 1998.
- C. R. Lee, A. J. Grodzinsky, H.-P. Hsu, and M. Spector, “Effects of a cultured autologous chondrocyte-seeded type II collagen scaffold on the healing of a chondral defect in a canine model,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 272–281, 2003.
- B. Galateanu, S. Dinescu, A. Cimpean, A. Dinischiotu, and M. Costache, “Modulation of adipogenic conditions for prospective use of ASCs in adipose tissue engineering,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 12, pp. 15881–15900, 2012.
- G. H. Altman, F. Diaz, C. Jakuba et al., “Silk-based biomaterials,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 401–416, 2003.
- S. Terada, T. Nishimura, M. Sasaki, H. Yamada, and M. Miki, “Sericin, a protein derived from silkworms, accelerates the proliferation of several mammalian cell lines including a hybridoma,” Cytotechnology, vol. 40, no. 1–3, pp. 3–12, 2002.
- K. Tsubouchi, Y. Igarashi, Y. Takasu, and H. Yamada, “Sericin enhances attachment of cultured human skin fibroblasts,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 69, no. 2, pp. 403–405, 2005.
- S. Terada, M. Sasaki, K. Yanagihara, and H. Yamada, “Preparation of silk protein sericin as mitogenic factor for better mammalian cell culture,” Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, vol. 100, no. 6, pp. 667–671, 2005.
- P. Aramwit, S. Kanokpanont, W. De-Eknamkul, K. Kamei, and T. Srichana, “The effect of sericin with variable amino-acid content from different silk strains on the production of collagen and nitric oxide,” Journal of Biomaterials Science, Polymer Edition, vol. 20, no. 9, pp. 1295–1306, 2009.
- P. Aramwit and A. Sangcakul, “The effects of sericin cream on wound healing in rats,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 71, no. 10, pp. 2473–2477, 2007.
- P. Aramwit, S. Kanokpanont, T. Nakpheng, and T. Srichana, “The effect of sericin from various extraction methods on cell viability and collagen production,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 2200–2211, 2010.
- S. Yamane, N. Iwasaki, T. Majima et al., “Feasibility of chitosan-based hyaluronic acid hybrid biomaterial for a novel scaffold in cartilage tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 611–619, 2005.
- H. B. Fan, Y. Y. Hu, and X. S. Li, “Experimental study on gelatin-chondroitin sulfate-sodium hyaluronate tri-copolymer as novel scaffolds for cartilage tissue engineering,” Chinese Journal of Reparatıve and Reconstructıve Surgery, vol. 19, pp. 473–477, 2005.
- Y.-L. Chen, H.-P. Lee, H.-Y. Chan, L.-Y. Sung, H.-C. Chen, and Y.-C. Hu, “Composite chondroitin-6-sulfate/dermatan sulfate/chitosan scaffolds for cartilage tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 28, no. 14, pp. 2294–2305, 2007.
- H. Tan, C. R. Chu, K. A. Payne, and K. G. Marra, “Injectable in situ forming biodegradable chitosan-hyaluronic acid based hydrogels for cartilage tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 13, pp. 2499–2506, 2009.
- R. Jin, L. S. Moreira Teixeira, P. J. Dijkstra, C. A. van Blitterswijk, M. Karperien, and J. Feijen, “Enzymatically-crosslinked injectable hydrogels based on biomimetic dextran-hyaluronic acid conjugates for cartilage tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 3103–3113, 2010.
- K.-Y. Chang, L.-W. Cheng, G.-H. Ho, Y.-P. Huang, and Y.-D. Lee, “Fabrication and characterization of poly(γ-glutamic acid)-graft-chondroitin sulfate/polycaprolactone porous scaffolds for cartilage tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 1937–1947, 2009.
- X. Hu, D. Li, F. Zhou, and C. Gao, “Biological hydrogel synthesized from hyaluronic acid, gelatin and chondroitin sulfate by click chemistry,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 4, pp. 1618–1626, 2011.
- B. P. Toole, “Hyaluronan in morphogenesis,” Seminars in Cell and Developmental Biology, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 79–87, 2001.
- E. Tognana, R. F. Padera, F. Chen, G. Vunjak-Novakovic, and L. E. Freed, “Development and remodeling of engineered cartilage-explant composites in vitro and in vivo,” Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, vol. 13, no. 10, pp. 896–905, 2005.
- N. Gerwin, C. Hops, and A. Lucke, “Intraarticular drug delivery in osteoarthritis,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 226–242, 2006.
- M. Akmal, A. Singh, A. Anand et al., “The effects of hyaluronic acid on articular chondrocytes,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 8, pp. 1143–1149, 2005.
- J. Jerosch, “Effects of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate on cartilage metabolism in OA: outlook on other nutrient partners especially omega-3 fatty acids,” International Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 2011, Article ID 969012, 17 pages, 2011.
- R. Servaty, J. Schiller, H. Binder, and K. Arnold, “Hydration of polymeric components of cartilage—an infrared spectroscopic study on hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 121–127, 2001.
- X. He, Y. Wang, and G. Wu, “Layer-by-layer assembly of type I collagen and chondroitin sulfate on aminolyzed PU for potential cartilage tissue engineering application,” Applied Surface Science, vol. 258, no. 24, pp. 9918–9925, 2012.
- Q. Li, C. G. Williams, D. D. N. Sun, J. Wang, K. Leong, and J. H. Elisseeff, “Photocrosslinkable polysaccharides based on chondroitin sulfate,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 68, no. 1, pp. 28–33, 2004.
- J. M. Gimble, A. J. Katz, and B. A. Bunnell, “Adipose-derived stem cells for regenerative medicine,” Circulation Research, vol. 100, no. 9, pp. 1249–1260, 2007.
- M. F. Pittenger, A. M. Mackay, S. C. Beck et al., “Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5411, pp. 143–147, 1999.
- J. K. Fraser, I. Wulur, Z. Alfonso, and M. H. Hedrick, “Fat tissue: an underappreciated source of stem cells for biotechnology,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 150–154, 2006.
- T. G. Ebrahimian, F. Pouzoulet, C. Squiban et al., “Cell therapy based on adipose tissue-derived stromal cells promotes physiological and pathological wound healing,” Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 503–510, 2009.
- A. T. Badillo, R. A. Redden, L. Zhang, E. J. Doolin, and K. W. Liechty, “Treatment of diabetic wounds with fetal murine mesenchymal stromal cells enhances wound closure,” Cell and Tissue Research, vol. 329, no. 2, pp. 301–311, 2007.
- N. San Martín and B. G. Gálvez, “A new paradigm for the understanding of obesity: the role of stem cells,” Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 188–194, 2011.
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, P. Ashjian et al., “Human adipose tissue is a source of multipotent stem cells,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 4279–4295, 2002.
- H. A. Awad, Y.-D. C. Halvorsen, J. M. Gimble, and F. Guilak, “Effects of transforming growth factor β1 and dexamethasone on the growth and chondrogenic differentiation of adipose-derived stromal cells,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 1301–1312, 2003.
- J. M. Gimble and F. Guilak, “Adipose-derived adult stem cells: isolation, characterization, and differentiation potential,” Cytotherapy, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 362–369, 2003.
- S. Gronthos, D. M. Franklin, H. A. Leddy, P. G. Robey, R. W. Storms, and J. M. Gimble, “Surface protein characterization of human adipose tissue-derived stromal cells,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 189, no. 1, pp. 54–63, 2001.
- H. Mizuno, P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, H. P. Lorenz, P. Benhaim, and M. H. Hedrick, “Myogenic differentiation by human processed lipoaspirate cells,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 199–209, 2002.
- K. M. Safford, S. D. Safford, J. M. Gimble, A. K. Shetty, and H. E. Rice, “Characterization of neuronal/glial differentiation of murine adipose-derived adult stromal cells,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 187, no. 2, pp. 319–328, 2004.
- P. A. Zuk, M. Zhu, H. Mizuno et al., “Multilineage cells from human adipose tissue: implications for cell-based therapies,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 211–228, 2001.
- R. B. Jakobsen, A. Shahdadfar, F. P. Reinholt, and J. E. Brinchmann, “Chondrogenesis in a hyaluronic acid scaffold: comparison between chondrocytes and MSC from bone marrow and adipose tissue,” Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1407–1416, 2010.
- M. G. Albu, Collagen Gels and Matrices for Biomedical Applications, Lambert Academic Publishing, Saarbrücken, Germany, 2011.
- S. Dinescu, B. Galateanu, M. G. Albu, A. Cimpean, A. Dinischiotu, and M. Costache, “Sericin enhances the bioperformance of collagen-based matrices preseeded with ASCs,” International Journal of Molecular Sciences, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1870–1889, 2013.
- A. Lungu, M. G. Albu, N. M. Florea, I. C. Stancu, E. Vasile, and H. Iovu, “The influence of glycosaminoglycan type on the collagen-glycosaminoglycan porous scaffolds,” Digest Journal of Nanomaterials and Biostructures, vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1867–1875, 2011.
- A. Lungu, M. G. Albu, I. C. Stancu, N. M. Florea, E. Vasile, and H. Iovu, “Superporous collagen-sericin scaffolds,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 127, no. 3, pp. 2269–2279, 2013.
- M. G. Albu, M. Ferdes, D. A. Kaya et al., “Collagen wound dressings with anti-inflammatory activity,” Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals, vol. 555, no. 1, pp. 271–279, 2012.