- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 603782, 7 pages
Influence of BAK-Preserved Prostaglandin Analog Treatment on the Ocular Surface Health in Patients with Newly Diagnosed Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma
1Department of Ophthalmology, University Clinic Vuk Vrhovac, Clinical Hospital Merkur, Zajčeva 19, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
2Department of Ophthalmology, Clinical Hospital Dubrava, Avenija Gojka Šuška 6, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
3Department of Ophthalmology, Clinical Hospital Sveti Duh, Sveti Duh 64, 10000 Zagreb, Croatia
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 1 July 2013
Academic Editor: Alfredo García-Layana
Copyright © 2013 Martina Tomić et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Resnikoff, D. Pascolini, D. Etya'ale et al., “Global data on visual impairment in the year 2002,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 82, no. 11, pp. 844–851, 2004.
- H. A. Quigley and A. T. Broman, “The number of people with glaucoma worldwide in 2010 and 2020,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 262–267, 2006.
- D. S. Friedman, R. C. Wolfs, B. J. O'Colmain, et al., “Prevalence of open-angle glaucoma among adults in the United States,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 122, no. 4, pp. 532–538, 2004.
- P. Martus, A. Stroux, W. M. Budde, C. Y. Mardin, M. Korth, and J. B. Jonas, “Predictive factors for progressive optic nerve damage in various types of chronic open-angle glaucoma,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 139, no. 6, pp. 999–1009, 2005.
- A. Sommer, J. M. Tielsch, J. Katz et al., “Relationship between intraocular pressure and primary open angle glaucoma among white and black Americans: the Baltimore eye survey,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 109, no. 8, pp. 1090–1095, 1991.
- D. A. Lee and E. J. Higginbotham, “Glaucoma and its treatment: a review,” American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 691–699, 2005.
- “New topical drugs for open-angle glaucoma,” Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 12–14, 2003.
- R. van der Valk, C. A. B. Webers, J. S. A. G. Schouten, M. P. Zeegers, F. Hendrikse, and M. H. Prins, “Intraocular pressure-lowering effects of all commonly used glaucoma drugs: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials,” Ophthalmology, vol. 112, no. 7, pp. 1177–1185, 2005.
- G. Holló, “The side effects of the prostaglandin analogues,” Expert Opinion on Drug Safety, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 45–52, 2007.
- N. Jaenen, C. Baudouin, P. Pouliquen, G. Manni, A. Figueiredo, and T. Zeyen, “Ocular symptoms and signs with preserved and preservative-free glaucoma medications,” European Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 341–349, 2007.
- R. W. Yee, “The effect of drop vehicle on the efficacy and side effects of topical glaucoma therapy: a review,” Current Opinion in Ophthalmology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 134–139, 2007.
- O. D. Schein, B. Munuz, J. M. Tielsch, K. Bandeen-Roche, and S. West, “Prevalence of dry eye among the elderly,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 124, no. 6, pp. 723–728, 1997.
- S. Kaštelan, A. Lukenda, J. Salopek-Rabatić, J. Pavan, and M. Gorovac, “Dry eye symptoms and signs in long-term contact lens wearers,” Collegium Antropologicum, vol. 27, supplement 1, pp. 199–203, 2013.
- E. W. Leung, F. A. Medeiros, and R. N. Weinreb, “Prevalence of ocular surface disease in glaucoma patients,” Journal of Glaucoma, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 350–355, 2008.
- E. Hodapp, R. K. Parrish, and D. R. Andersson, Clinical Decisions in Glaucoma, CV Mosby Company, St. Louis, MO, USA, 1993.
- G. Savini, P. Prabhawasat, T. Kojima, M. Grueterich, E. Espana, and E. Goto, “The challenge of dry eye diagnosis,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 31–55, 2008.
- F. Özcura, S. Aydin, and M. R. Helvaci, “Ocular surface disease index for the diagnosis of dry eye syndrome,” Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 389–393, 2007.
- K. L. Miller, J. G. Walt, D. R. Mink et al., “Minimal clinically important difference for the ocular surface disease index,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 128, no. 1, pp. 94–101, 2010.
- L. B. Cantor, J. Hoop, L. Morgan et al., “Intraocular pressure-lowering efficacy of bimatoprost 0.03% and travoprost 0.004% in patients with glaucoma or ocular hypertension,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 11, pp. 1370–1373, 2006.
- M. A. Kass, D. K. Heuer, E. J. Higginbotham et al., “The Ocular Hypertension Treatment Study: a randomized trial determines that topical ocular hypotensive medication delays or prevents the onset of primary open-angle glaucoma,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 6, pp. 701–713, 2002.
- A. Heijl, M. C. Leske, B. Bengtsson, L. Hyman, B. Bengtsson, and M. Hussein, “Reduction of intraocular pressure and glaucoma progression: results from the Early Manifest Glaucoma Trial,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 120, no. 10, pp. 1268–1279, 2002.
- D. C. Musch, B. W. Gillespie, L. M. Niziol, P. R. Lichter, and R. Varma, “Intraocular pressure control and long-term visual field loss in the collaborative initial glaucoma treatment study,” Ophthalmology, vol. 118, no. 9, pp. 1766–1773, 2011.
- H. B. Dubiner and R. Noecker, “Sustained intraocular pressure reduction throughout the day with travoprost ophthalmic solution 0.004%,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 525–531, 2012.
- R. Noecker, “Effects of common ophthalmic preservatives on ocular health,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 18, no. 5, pp. 205–215, 2001.
- M. Y. Kahook and R. J. Noecker, “Comparison of corneal and conjunctival changes after dosing of travoprost preserved with sofZia, latanoprost with 0.02% benzalkonium chloride, and preservative-free artificial tears,” Cornea, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 339–343, 2008.
- M. Y. Kahook and R. Noecker, “Quantitative analysis of conjunctival goblet cells after chronic application of topical drops,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 743–751, 2008.
- W. S. Wilson, A. J. Duncan, and J. L. Jay, “Effect of benzalkonium chloride on the stability of the precorneal tear film in rabbit and man,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 59, no. 11, pp. 667–669, 1975.
- J. M. Herreras, J. C. Pastor, M. Calonge, and V. M. Asensio, “Ocular surface alteration after long-term treatment with an antiglaucomatous drug,” Ophthalmology, vol. 99, no. 7, pp. 1082–1088, 1992.
- D. C. Broadway, I. Grierson, C. O'Brien, and R. A. Hitchings, “Adverse effects of topical antiglaucoma medication: I. The conjunctival cell profile,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 112, no. 11, pp. 1437–1445, 1994.
- D. C. Broadway, I. Grierson, C. O'Brien, and R. A. Hitchings, “Adverse effects of topical antiglaucoma medication: II. The outcome of filtration surgery,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 112, no. 11, pp. 1446–1454, 1994.
- A. C. Crichton, S. Vold, J. M. Williams, and D. A. Hollander, “Ocular surface tolerability of prostaglandin analogs and prostamides in patients with glaucoma or ocular hypertension,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 260–270, 2013.
- M. B. Horsley and M. Y. Kahook, “Effects of prostaglandin analog therapy on the ocular surface of glaucoma patients,” Clinical Ophthalmology, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 291–295, 2009.
- D. A. Ammar, R. J. Noecker, and M. Y. Kahook, “Effects of benzalkonium chloride-preserved, polyquad-preserved, and sofZia-preserved topical glaucoma medications on human ocular epithelial cells,” Advances in Therapy, vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 837–845, 2010.
- G. F. Schwartz, S. Kotak, J. Mardekian, and J. M. Fain, “Incidence of new coding for dry eye and ocular infection in open-angle glaucoma and ocular hypertension patients treated with prostaglandin analogs: retrospective analysis of three medical/pharmacy claims databases,” BMC Ophthalmology, vol. 11, article 14, 2011.
- C. Charnock, “Are multidose over-the-counter artificial tears adequately preserved?” Cornea, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 432–437, 2006.