- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 604598, 6 pages
Genetic Dissection of New Genotypes of Drumstick Tree (Moringa oleifera Lam.) Using Random Amplified Polymorphic DNA Marker
1Food Crops Laboratory, Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
2Department of Crop Science, Faculty of Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia
Received 18 January 2013; Revised 12 March 2013; Accepted 27 March 2013
Academic Editor: Kok Tat Tan
Copyright © 2013 Shamsuddeen Rufai et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Mendieta-Araica, E. Spörndly, N. Reyes-Sánchez, F. Salmerón-Miranda, and M. Halling, “Biomass production and chemical composition of Moringa oleifera under different planting densities and levels of nitrogen fertilization,” Agroforestry Systems, vol. 87, no. 1, pp. 81–92, 2012.
- A. Pandey, K. Pradheep, R. Gupta, E. Roshini Nayar, and D. C. Bhandari, “‘Drumstick tree’ (Moringa oleifera Lam.): a multipurpose potential species in India,” Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution, vol. 58, no. 3, pp. 453–460, 2011.
- H. J. von Maydell, Trees and Shrubs of the Sahel: Their Characteristics and Uses, Verlag Josef Margraf, 1990.
- M. R. Berger, M. Habs, S. A. A. Jahn, and D. Schmahl, “Toxicological assessment of seeds from Moringa oleifera and Moringa stenopetala, two highly efficient primary coagulants for domestic water treatment of tropical raw waters,” East African Medical Journal, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 712–716, 1984.
- C. Ramachandran, K. V. Peter, and P. Gopalakrishnan, “(Moringa oleifera): economic,” Botany, vol. 34, pp. 276–283, 1980.
- M. G. Mgendi, M. K. Manoko, and A. M. Nyomora, “Genetic diversity between cultivated and non-cultivated Moringa oleifera Lam. provenances assessed by RAPD markers,” Journal of Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 95–102, 2010.
- National Research Council, Lost Crops of Africa, vol. 1, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA, 2006.
- G. S. Madrona, G. B. Serpelloni, A. M. S. Vieira, L. Nishi, K. C. Cardoso, and R. Bergamasco, “Study of the effect of saline solution on the extraction of the Moringa oleifera seed's active component for water treatment,” Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, vol. 211, no. 1–4, pp. 409–415, 2010.
- B. Y. Abubakar, R. Wusirika, S. MuA’zu, A. U. Khan, and A. K. Adamu, “Detection of genetic variability using random amplified polymorphic DNA marker in some accession of Moringa oleifera Lam from Northern Nigeria,” International Journal of Botany, vol. 7, pp. 237–242, 2011.
- R. Ayerza (h), “Seed and oil yields of Moringa oleifera variety Periyakalum-1 introduced for oil production in four ecosystems of South America,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 70–73, 2012.
- M. A. Somali, M. A. Bajneid, and S. S. Al-Fhaimani, “Chemical composition and characteristics of Moringa peregrina seeds and seeds oil,” Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society, vol. 61, no. 1, pp. 85–86, 1984.
- J. P. V. Da Silva, T. M. Serra, M. Gossmann, C. R. Wolf, M. R. Meneghetti, and S. M. P. Meneghetti, “Moringa oleifera oil: studies of characterization and biodiesel production,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 1527–1530, 2010.
- M. Y. Rafii, I. W. Arolu, M. H. A. Omar, and M. A. Latif, “Genetic variation and heritability estimation in Jatropha curcas L. population for seed yield and vegetative traits,” Journal of Medicinal Plants Research, vol. 6, pp. 2178–2183, 2012.
- M. Y. Rafii, M. Shabanimofrad, M. W. Puteri Edaroyati, and M. A. Latif, “Analysis of the genetic diversity of physic nut, Jatropha curcas L. accessions using RAPD markers,” Molecular Biology Reports, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 6505–6511, 2012.
- Y. Wang, Y. Qin, and Z. Du G Yan, “Genetic diversity and differentiation of the endangered tree Elaeagnus mollis Diels (Elaeagnus L.) as revealed by simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers,” Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, vol. 40, pp. 25–33, 2012.
- P. Tanya, P. Taeprayoon, Y. Hadkam, and P. Srinives, “Genetic diversity among Jatropha and Jatropha-related species based on ISSR markers,” Plant Molecular Biology Reporter, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 252–264, 2011.
- H. M. Abdelmigid, “Efficiency of random amplified polymorphic DNA, (RAPD) and inter-simple sequence repeats (ISSR) markers for genotype fingerprinting and genetic diversity studies in canola (Brassica napus),” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 11, pp. 6409–6419, 2012.
- F. Bardakci, “Random amplified polymorphic DNA, (RAPD) markers,” Turkish Journal of Biology, vol. 25, pp. 185–196, 2001.
- J. Ferdous, M. M. Hanafi, M. Y. Rafii, and K. Muhammad, “A quick DNA extraction protocol: without liquid nitrogen in ambient temperature,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 11, no. 27, pp. 6956–6964, 2012.
- D. S. Resmi, V. A. Celine, L. Rajamony, and K. B. Sony, “Detection of genetic variability in Dramstick (Moringa oleifera Lam.) using RAPD markers,” in Recent Trends in Horticultural Biotechnology, R. Keshvachandran and P.A. Nazeem, Eds., pp. 587–592, New India Publishing Agency, New Delhi, India, 2007.
- M. Kimura and J. F. Crow, “The number of alleles that can be maintained in a finite population,” Genetics, vol. 49, pp. 725–738, 1964.
- R. C. Lewontine, “Testing the theory of natural selection,” Nature, vol. 236, pp. 181–182, 1972.
- I. W. Arolu, M. Y. Rafii, M. M. Hanafi, T. M. M. Mahmud, and M. A. Latif, “Molecular characterization of Jatropha curcas germplasm using inter simple sequence repeat (ISSR) markers in Peninsular Malaysia,” Australian Journal of Crop Science, vol. 6, no. 12, pp. 1666–1673, 2012.
- S. Verma and T. S. Rana, “Genetic diversity within and among the wild populations of Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng., as revealed by ISSR analysis,” Biochemical Systematics and Ecology, vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 139–144, 2011.
- I. B. El Hadj Ali, A. Guetat, and M. Boussaid, “Genetic diversity, population structure and relationships of Tunisian Thymus algeriensis Boiss. et Reut. and Thymus capitatus Hoffm. et link assessed by isozymes,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 149–163, 2012.
- F. Nejatzadeh-Barandozi, M. R. Naghavi, S. T. Enferadi, A. Mousavi, Y. Mostofi, and M. E. Hassani, “Genetic diversity of accessions of Iranian Aloe vera based on horticultural traits and RAPD markers,” Industrial Crops and Products, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 347–351, 2012.
- S. Kumar, S. Kumaria, S. K. Sharma, S. R. Rao, and P. Tandon, “Genetic diversity assessment of Jatropha curcas L. germplasm from Northeast India,” Biomass and Bioenergy, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 3063–3070, 2011.
- M. Parvaresh, M. Talebi, and B. E. Sayed-Tabatabaei, “Molecular diversity and genetic relationship of pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) genotypes using microsatellite markers,” Scientia Horticulturae, vol. 138, pp. 244–252, 2012.