- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 604635, 6 pages
Hormonal Receptors in Skeletal Muscles of Dystrophic Mdx Mice
1Department of Pharmacology, ABC Medical School, FMABC, Avenue Príncipe de Gales 821, 09060-650 Santo Andre, SP, Brazil
2Department of Medicine, ABC Medical School, FMABC, Avenue Príncipe de Gales 821, 09060-650 Santo Andre, SP, Brazil
3Federal University of São Paulo (UNIFESP), Rue Prof. Artur Riedel 270, 09972-270 Diadema, SP, Brazil
4Department of Neurology, ABC Medical School, FMABC, Avenue Príncipe de Gales 821, 09060-650 Santo Andre, SP, Brazil
5Department of Pharmacology, University of São Paulo (USP), Avenue Professor Lineu Prestes 152, 05508-900 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
Received 21 June 2012; Accepted 6 September 2012
Academic Editor: Fabio Ferreira Perazzo
Copyright © 2013 David Feder et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- B. Balaban, D. J. Matthews, G. H. Clayton, and T. Carry, “Corticosteroid treatment and functional improvement in Duchenne muscular dystrophy long-term effect,” American Journal of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, vol. 84, no. 11, pp. 843–850, 2005.
- M. D. Grounds, H. G. Radley, G. S. Lynch, K. Nagaraju, and A. De Luca, “Towards developing standard operating procedures for pre-clinical testing in the mdx mouse model of Duchenne muscular dystrophy,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 1–19, 2008.
- F. Muntoni, I. Fisher, J. E. Morgan, and D. Abraham, “Steroids in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: from clinical trials to genomic research,” Neuromuscular Disorders, vol. 12, pp. S162–S165, 2002.
- H. P. Rang, M. M. Dale, J. M. Ritter, and R. Flower, Rang & Dale's Pharmacology, Elservier, 5th edition, 2003.
- A. G. Smith and G. E. O. Muscat, “Skeletal muscle and nuclear hormone receptors: implications for cardiovascular and metabolic disease,” International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 2047–2063, 2005.
- H. Schäcke, W. D. Döcke, and K. Asadullah, “Mechanisms involved in the side effects of glucocorticoids,” Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 23–43, 2002.
- P. Bielefeld, “Present status of cortisone myopathy,” Revue de Médecine Interne, vol. 17, pp. 255–261, 1996.
- K. Ma, C. Mallidis, S. Bhasin et al., “Glucocorticoid-induced skeletal muscle atrophy is associated with upregulation of myostatin gene expression,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 285, no. 2, pp. E363–E371, 2003.
- I. Sinha-Hikim, W. E. Taylor, N. F. Gonzalez-Cadavid, W. Zheng, and S. Bhasin, “Androgen receptor in human skeletal muscle and cultured muscle satellite cells: up-regulation by androgen treatment,” Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 89, no. 10, pp. 5245–5255, 2004.
- M. R. Deschenes, C. M. Maresh, L. E. Armstrong, J. Covault, W. J. Kraemer, and J. F. Crivello, “Endurance and resistance exercise induce muscle fiber type specific responses in androgen binding capacity,” Journal of Steroid Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, vol. 50, no. 3-4, pp. 175–179, 1994.
- Z. V. Kendrick, C. A. Steffen, W. L. Rumsey, and D. I. Goldberg, “Effect of estradiol on tissue glycogen metabolism in exercised oophorectomized rats,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 492–496, 1987.
- D. A. Skelton, S. K. Phillips, S. A. Bruce, C. H. Naylor, and R. C. Woledge, “Hormone replacement therapy increases isometric muscle strength of adductor pollicis in post-menopausal women,” Clinical Science, vol. 96, no. 4, pp. 357–364, 1999.
- R. Sarwar, B. B. Niclos, and O. M. Rutherford, “Changes in muscle strength, relaxation rate and fatiguability during the human menstrual cycle,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 493, no. 1, pp. 267–272, 1996.
- S. K. Phillips, A. G. Sanderson, K. Birch, S. A. Bruce, and R. C. Woledge, “Changes in maximal voluntary force of human adductor pollicis muscle during the menstrual cycle,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 496, no. 2, pp. 551–557, 1996.
- S. Lemoine, P. Granier, C. Tiffoche, F. Rannou-Bekono, M. L. Thieulant, and P. Delamarche, “Estrogen receptor alpha mRNA in human skeletal muscles,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 439–443, 2003.
- J. P. Greeves, N. T. Cable, M. J. M. Luckas, T. Reilly, and M. M. Biljan, “Effects of acute changes in oestrogen on muscle function of the first dorsal interosseus muscle in humans,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 500, no. 1, pp. 265–270, 1997.
- X. A. K. Janse De Jonge, C. R. L. Boot, J. M. Thom, P. A. Ruell, and M. W. Thompson, “The influence of menstrual cycle phase on skeletal muscle contractile characteristics in humans,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 530, no. 1, pp. 161–166, 2001.
- J. Komulainen, S. O. A. Koskinen, R. Kalliokoski, T. E. S. Takala, and V. Vihko, “Gender differences in skeletal muscle fibre damage after eccentrically biased downhill running in rats,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 57–63, 1999.
- P. R. Bar, G. J. Amelink, B. Oldenburg, and M. A. Blankenstein, “Prevention of exercise-induced muscle membrane damage by oestradiol,” Life Sciences, vol. 42, no. 26, pp. 2677–2681, 1988.
- Z. Paroo, E. S. Dipchand, and E. G. Noble, “Estrogen attenuates postexercise HSP70 expression in skeletal muscle,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 282, no. 2, pp. C245–C251, 2002.
- S. Lemoine, P. Granier, C. Tiffoche et al., “Effect of endurance training on oestrogen receptor alpha transcripts in rat skeletal muscle,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 174, no. 3, pp. 283–289, 2002.
- A. Wiik, T. Gustafsson, M. Esbjörnsson et al., “Expression of oestrogen receptor α and β is higher in skeletal muscle of highly endurance-trained than of moderately active men,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 184, no. 2, pp. 105–112, 2005.
- S. Lemoine, P. Granier, C. Tiffoche et al., “Effect of endurance training on oestrogen receptor alpha expression in different rat skeletal muscle type,” Acta Physiologica Scandinavica, vol. 175, no. 3, pp. 211–217, 2002.
- D. C. DuBois and R. R. Almon, “Increased content of glucocorticoid receptors in mouse muscular dystrophy,” Endocrine Research, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 3–10, 1984.
- D. C. DuBois and R. R. Almon, “The chicken dystrophic model: does hypersensitivity to glucocorticoids cause atrophy?” Experimental Neurology, vol. 75, no. 3, pp. 555–565, 1982.
- G. M. Fenichel, R. C. Griggs, J. Kissel et al., “A randomized efficacy and safety trial of oxandrolone in the treatment of Duchenne dystrophy,” Neurology, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 1075–1079, 2001.
- P. Balagopal, R. Olney, D. Darmaun et al., “Oxandrolone enhances skeletal muscle myosin synthesis and alters global gene expression profile in Duchenne muscular dystrophy,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 290, no. 3, pp. E530–E539, 2006.
- F. Usuki, O. Nakazato, M. Osame, and A. Igata, “Hyperestrogenemia in neuromuscular diseases,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 89, no. 2-3, pp. 189–197, 1989.
- L. Cohen and J. Morgan, “Diethylstilbestrol effects on serum enzymes and isozymes in muscular dystrophy,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 480–484, 1976.
- D. Rudman, S. B. Chyatte, J. H. Patterson et al., “Metabolic effects of human growth hormone and of estrogens in boys with Duchenne muscular dystrophy,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1118–1124, 1972.
- M. C. Salimena, J. Lagrota-Candido, and T. Quírico-Santos, “Gender dimorphism influences extracellular matrix expression and regeneration of muscular tissue in mdx dystrophic mice,” Histochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 122, no. 5, pp. 435–444, 2004.
- B. J. Johnson, N. Halstead, M. E. White, M. R. Hathaway, A. DiCostanzo, and W. R. Dayton, “Activation state of muscle stellate cells isolated from steers implanted with a combined trenbolone acetate and estradiol implant,” Journal of Animal Science, vol. 76, no. 11, pp. 2779–2786, 1998.
- J. B. Kurek, S. Nouri, G. Kannourakis, M. Murphy, and L. Austin, “Leukemia inhibitory factor and interleukin-6 are produced by diseased and regenerating skeletal muscle,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1291–1301, 1996.