- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 605308, 10 pages
Microscopic Evaluation, Molecular Identification, Antifungal Susceptibility, and Clinical Outcomes in Fusarium, Aspergillus and, Dematiaceous Keratitis
1Department of Microbiology and Biotechnology Centre, Faculty of Science, M. S. University of Baroda, Vadodara 390 002, India
2Iladevi Cataract and IOL Research Centre, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 380052, India
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 22 July 2013; Accepted 16 August 2013
Academic Editor: Kelvin To
Copyright © 2013 Devarshi U. Gajjar et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Chander, N. Singla, N. Agnihotri, S. K. Arya, and A. Deep, “Keratomycosis in and around Chandigarh: a five-year study from a north Indian tertiary care hospital,” Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 304–306, 2008.
- A. Chowdhary and K. Singh, “Spectrum of fungal keratitis in North India,” Cornea, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 8–15, 2005.
- S. D. Deshpande and G. V. Koppikar, “A study of mycotic keratitis in Mumbai,” Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 81–87, 1999.
- U. Gopinathan, S. Sharma, P. Garg, and G. N. Rao, “Review of epidemiological features, microbiological diagnosis and treatment outcome of microbial keratitis: experience of over a decade,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 273–279, 2009.
- M. J. Bharathi, R. Ramakrishnan, R. Meenakshi, S. Padmavathy, C. Shivakumar, and M. Srinivasan, “Microbial keratitis in South India: Influence of risk factors, climate, and geographical variation,” Ophthalmic Epidemiology, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 61–69, 2007.
- M. Srinivasan, M. P. Upadhyay, B. Priyadarsini, R. Mahalakshmi, and J. P. Whitcher, “Corneal ulceration in south-east Asia III: prevention of fungal keratitis at the village level in south India using topical antibiotics,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 12, pp. 1472–1475, 2006.
- M. A. G. Tanure, E. J. Cohen, S. Sudesh, C. J. Rapuano, and P. R. Laibson, “Spectrum of fungal keratitis at Wills eye hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania,” Cornea, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 307–312, 2000.
- C. L. Schoch, K. A. Seifert, S. Huhndorf et al., “Nuclear ribosomal internal transcribed spacer (ITS) region as a universal DNA barcode marker for Fungi,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 109, no. 16, pp. 6241–6246, 2012.
- M. Azor, J. Gené, J. Cano, and J. Guarro, “Universal in vitro antifungal resistance of genetic clades of the Fusarium solani species complex,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 1500–1503, 2007.
- P. Manikandan, J. Varga, S. Kocsubé et al., “Epidemiology of Aspergillus keratitis at a tertiary care eye hospital in South India and antifungal susceptibilities of the causative agents,” Mycoses, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 26–33, 2012.
- K. O'Donnell, D. A. Sutton, A. Fothergill et al., “Molecular phylogenetic diversity, multilocus haplotype nomenclature, and in vitro antifungal resistance within the Fusarium solani species complex,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 8, pp. 2477–2490, 2008.
- R. A. Oechsler, M. R. Feilmeier, D. Miller, et al., “Fusarium keratitis: genotyping, in vitro susceptibility and clinical outcomes,” Cornea, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 667–673, 2013.
- P. Lalitha, N. V. Prajna, C. E. Oldenburg et al., “Organism, minimum inhibitory concentration, and outcome in a fungal corneal ulcer clinical trial,” Cornea, vol. 31, no. 6, pp. 662–667, 2012.
- P. Lalitha, B. L. Shapiro, M. Srinivasan et al., “Antimicrobial susceptibility of Fusarium, Aspergillus, and other filamentous fungi isolated from keratitis,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 125, no. 6, pp. 789–793, 2007.
- P. Lalitha, R. Vijaykumar, N. V. Prajna, and A. W. Fothergill, “In vitro natamycin susceptibility of ocular isolates of Fusarium and Aspergillus species: comparison of commercially formulated natamycin eye drops to pharmaceutical-grade powder,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 46, no. 10, pp. 3477–3478, 2008.
- L. Pradhan, S. Sharma, S. Nalamada, S. K. Sahu, S. Das, and P. Garg, “Natamycin in the treatment of keratomycosis: correlation of treatment outcome and in vitro susceptibility of fungal isolates,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 512–514, 2011.
- A. Alastruey-Izquierdo, M. Cuenca-Estrella, A. Monzón, E. Mellado, and J. L. Rodríguez-Tudela, “Antifungal susceptibility profile of clinical Fusarium spp. isolates identified by molecular methods,” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 805–809, 2008.
- N. J. Iqbal, A. Boey, B. J. Park, and M. E. Brandt, “Determination of in vitro susceptibility of ocular Fusarium spp. isolates from keratitis cases and comparison of clinical and laboratory standards institute M38-A2 and E test methods,” Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 348–350, 2008.
- J. Chander, A. Chakrabarti, A. Sharma, J. S. Saini, and D. Panigarhi, “Evaluation of calcofluor staining in the diagnosis of fungal corneal ulcer,” Mycoses, vol. 36, no. 7-8, pp. 243–245, 1993.
- G. S. de Hoog, J. Guarro, J. Gené, and M. J. Figueras, Atlas of Clinical Fungi, 3rd edition, 2009.
- Institute CLS, Reference Method For Broth Dilution Antifungal Susceptibility Testing of Filamentous Fungi, Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pa, USA, 2nd edition, 2008.
- S. L. Sharma, “Keratomycosis in corneal sepsis,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 443–445, 1981.
- O. P. Kulshrestha, S. Bhargava, and M. K. Dube, “Keratomycosis: a report of 23 cases,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 51–55, 1973.
- M. J. Bharathi, R. Ramakrishnan, S. Vasu, R. Meenakshi, and R. Palaniappan, “Epidemiological characteristics and laboratory diagnosis of fungal keratitis. A three-year study,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 315–321, 2003.
- A. Kumar, S. Pandya, G. Kavathia, et al., “Microbial keratitis in Gujarat, Western India: findings from 200 cases,” The Pan African Medical Journal, vol. 10, no. 48, 2011.
- A. Tewari, N. Sood, M. M. Vegad, and D. C. Mehta, “Epidemiological and microbiological profile of infective keratitis in Ahmedabad,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 267–272, 2012.
- R. Nath, S. Baruah, L. Saikia, B. Devi, A. Borthakur, and J. Mahanta, “Mycotic corneal ulcers in upper Assam,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 59, no. 5, pp. 367–371, 2011.
- M. J. Bharathi, R. Ramakrishnan, R. Meenakshi, C. Shivakumar, and L. L. Raj, “Analysis of the risk factors predisposing to fungal, bacterial & Acanthamoeba keratitis in south India,” Indian Journal of Medical Research, vol. 130, no. 6, pp. 749–757, 2009.
- F. M. Polack, H. E. Kaufman, and E. Newmark, “Keratomycosis. Medical and surgical treatment,” Archives of Ophthalmology, vol. 85, no. 4, pp. 410–416, 1971.
- M. Srinivasan, C. A. Gonzales, C. George et al., “Epidemiology and aetiological diagnosis of corneal ulceration in Madurai, south India,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 965–971, 1997.
- P. A. Thomas, A. K. Leck, and M. Myatt, “Characteristic clinical features as an aid to the diagnosis of suppurative keratitis caused by filamentous fungi,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 89, no. 12, pp. 1554–1558, 2005.
- R. Srinivasan, R. Kanungo, and J. L. Goyal, “Spectrum of oculomycosis in South India,” Acta Ophthalmologica, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 744–749, 1991.
- P. Garg, U. Gopinathan, K. Choudhary, and G. N. Rao, “Keratomycosis: clinical and microbiologic experience with dematiaceous fungi,” Ophthalmology, vol. 107, no. 3, pp. 574–580, 2000.
- P. Garg, G. K. Vemuganti, S. Chatarjee, U. Gopinathan, and G. N. Rao, “Pigmented plaque presentation of dematiaceous fungal keratitis: a clinicopathologic correlation,” Cornea, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 571–576, 2004.
- M. J. Bharathi, R. Ramakrishnan, R. Meenakshi, S. Mittal, C. Shivakumar, and M. Srinivasan, “Microbiological diagnosis of infective keratitis: comparative evaluation of direct microscopy and culture results,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 90, no. 10, pp. 1271–1276, 2006.
- K. Liu, D. N. Howell, J. R. Perfect, and W. A. Schell, “Morphologic criteria for the preliminary identification of Fusarium, Paecilomyces, and Acremonium species by histopathology,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 45–54, 1998.
- P. A. Thomas, C. A. N. Jesudasan, P. Geraldine, and J. Kaliamurthy, “Adventitious sporulation in Fusarium keratitis,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 249, no. 9, pp. 1429–1431, 2011.
- R. K. Forster, G. Rebell, and L. A. Wilson, “Dematiaceous fungal keratitis. Clinical isolates and management,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 372–376, 1975.
- K. R. Wilhelmus and D. B. Jones, “Curvularia keratitis,” Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society, vol. 99, pp. 111–130, 2001.
- S. A. Balajee, A. M. Borman, M. E. Brandt et al., “Sequence-based identification of Aspergillus, Fusarium, and mucorales species in the clinical mycology laboratory: where are we and where should we go from here?” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 4, pp. 877–884, 2009.
- M. Murphy, E. M. Bernard, T. Ishimaru, and D. Armstrong, “Activity of voriconazole (UK-109,496) against clinical isolates of Aspergillus species and its effectiveness in an experimental model of invasive pulmonary aspergillosis,” Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 696–698, 1997.
- D. J. Diekema, S. A. Messer, R. J. Hollis, R. N. Jones, and M. A. Pfaller, “Activities of caspofungin, itraconazole, posaconazole, ravuconazole, voriconazole, and amphotericin B against 448 recent clinical isolates of filamentous fungi,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 3623–3626, 2003.
- S. M. Singh, S. Sharma, and P. K. Chatterjee, “Clinical and experimental mycotic keratitis caused by Aspergillus terreus and the effect of subconjunctival oxiconazole treatment in the animal model,” Mycopathologia, vol. 112, no. 3, pp. 127–137, 1990.
- S. Sengupta, S. Rajan, P. R. Reddy et al., “Comparative study on the incidence and outcomes of pigmented versus non pigmented keratomycosis,” Indian Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 59, no. 4, pp. 291–296, 2011.