- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 608430, 11 pages
Molecular Imaging in Traditional Chinese Medicine Therapy for Neurological Diseases
1Department of Nuclear Medicine, The Second Affiliated Hospital of Zhejiang University School of Medicine, 88 Jiefang Road, Hangzhou, Zhejiang 310009, China
2Zhejiang University Medical PET Center, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, China
3Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310009, China
4Key Laboratory of Medical Molecular Imaging of Zhejiang Province, Hangzhou 310009, China
5Institute of Cardiocerbrovascular Diseases, Zhejiang Chinese Medical University, Hangzhou 310053, China
Received 23 April 2013; Accepted 21 August 2013
Academic Editor: Ignasi Carrio
Copyright © 2013 Zefeng Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Lukman, Y. He, and S. Hui, “Computational methods for traditional Chinese medicine: a survey,” Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, vol. 88, no. 3, pp. 283–294, 2007.
- T. F. Massoud and S. S. Gambhir, “Molecular imaging in living subjects: seeing fundamental biological processes in a new light,” Genes and Development, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 545–580, 2003.
- M. E. Smith and S. Bauer-Wu, “Traditional Chinese medicine for cancer-related symptoms,” Seminars in Oncology Nursing, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 64–74, 2012.
- J. Shi, Y. Liu, Y. Fang, G. Xu, H. Zhai, and L. Lu, “Traditional Chinese medicine in treatment of opiate addiction,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 27, no. 10, pp. 1303–1308, 2006.
- J. Li, H. Wan, H. Zhang, and M. Tian, “Current applications of molecular imaging and luminescence-based techniques in traditional Chinese medicine,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 16–26, 2011.
- G. Cai, B. Liu, W. Liu et al., “Buyang Huanwu Decoction can improve recovery of neurological function, reduce infarction volume, stimulate neural proliferation and modulate VEGF and Flk1 expressions in transient focal cerebral ischaemic rat brains,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 292–299, 2007.
- H. Wang, K. Liou, Y. Wang et al., “Deciphering the neuroprotective mechanisms of Bu-yang Huan-wu decoction by an integrative neurofunctional and genomic approach in ischemic stroke mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 138, no. 1, pp. 22–33, 2011.
- L. Zhao, Y. Ding, L. Zhang, and L. Li, “Cornel iridoid glycoside improves memory ability and promotes neuronal survival in fimbria-fornix transected rats,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 647, no. 1–3, pp. 68–74, 2010.
- B. J. Chen, “Triptolide, a novel immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory agent purified from a Chinese herb Tripterygium Wilfordii Hook F,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 253–265, 2001.
- D. Qui and P. N. Kao, “Immunosuppressive and anti-inflammatory mechanisms of triptolide, the principal active diterpenoid from the Chinese medicinal herb Tripterygium Wilfordii Hook,” Drugs in R and D, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 1–18, 2003.
- H. Zhou, X. Liu, D. Niu, F. Li, Q. He, and X. Wang, “Triptolide protects dopaminergic neurons from inflammation-mediated damage induced by lipopolysaccharide intranigral injection,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 441–449, 2005.
- H. Wang, Y. Pan, B. Xue et al., “The antioxidative effect of electro-acupuncture in a mouse model of Parkinson's disease,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 5, Article ID e19790, 2011.
- G. Li, X. Zhang, H. Cheng, et al., “Acupuncture improves cognitive deficits and increases neuron density of the hippocampus in middle-aged SAMP8 mice,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 339–345, 2012.
- S. Ding, “Clinical observation on treatment of 87 cases of Parkinson’s disease with combined acupuncture and cupping therapies,” Liaoning Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, vol. 33, no. 6, p. 737, 2006 (Chinese).
- N. Robinson, A. Lorenc, W. Ding, J. Jia, M. Bovey, and X. Wang, “Exploring practice characteristics and research priorities of practitioners of traditional acupuncture in China and the EU—a survey,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 140, no. 3, pp. 604–613, 2012.
- R. Temple, The Genius of China: 3,000 Years of Science, Discovery and Invention, Simon and Schuster, New York, NY, USA, 1986.
- T. Takeda, “Senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM) with special references to neurodegeneration models, SAMP8 and SAMP10 mice,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 639–659, 2009.
- C. Liu, J. Yu, X. Zhang, W. Fu, T. Wang, and J. Han, “Acupuncture prevents cognitive deficits and oxidative stress in cerebral multi-infarction rats,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 393, no. 1, pp. 45–50, 2006.
- X. Ding, J. Yu, T. Yu, Y. Fu, and J. Han, “Acupuncture regulates the aging-related changes in gene profile expression of the hippocampus in senescence-accelerated mouse (SAMP10),” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 399, no. 1-2, pp. 11–16, 2006.
- C. Iz, Cupping Therapy, Elservier, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2007.
- Y. Wang, X. Lin, and G. Zheng, “Traditional Chinese medicine for Parkinson's disease in China and beyond,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 385–388, 2011.
- H. Cao, M. Han, X. Li et al., “Clinical research evidence of cupping therapy in China: a systematic literature review,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 10, no. 1, article 70, 2010.
- S. Y. Zhang, “Warm needle treatment for stroke hemiplegic of high limb end of the edema in 150 cases,” China Academic Journal of Electronics, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 489–490, 2002.
- Y. C. Park, “Cupping plus blood letting therapy of hemiplegia after stroke of shoulder pain in 30 cases,” Traditional Chinese Medicine Research, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 54–56, 2008.
- F. L. Liu, “Treatment of chronic aphasia with blood letting puncture and cupping at acupoint of aphasia due to wind stroke: a report of 16 cases,” Shanghai Journal of Acupuncture Moxibustion, vol. S1, 2000.
- H. Huang, “Shenque point cupping therapy for stroke after intractable hiccup in 6 cases,” Journal of Clinical Acupuncture and Moxibustion, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 33–34, 2009.
- G. Stoll, C. Kleinschnitz, and B. Nieswandt, “Molecular mechanisms of thrombus formation in ischemic stroke: novel insights and targets for treatment,” Blood, vol. 112, no. 9, pp. 3555–3562, 2008.
- C. Zhao, Z. Chen, X. Ye et al., “Imaging a pancreatic carcinoma xenograft model with 11C-acetate: a comparison study with 18F-FDG,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 971–977, 2009.
- S. R. Cherry and S. S. Gambhir, “Use of positron emission tomography in animal research,” ILAR Journal, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 219–232, 2001.
- H. T. Chugani, D. A. Hovda, J. R. Villablanca, M. E. Phelps, and W.-F. Xu, “Metabolic maturation of the brain: a study of local cerebral glucose utilization in the developing cat,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 35–47, 1991.
- J. Yang, J. Li, J. Lu, Y. Zhang, Z. Zhu, and H. Wan, “Synergistic protective effect of astragaloside IV-tetramethylpyrazine against cerebral ischemic-reperfusion injury induced by transient focal ischemia,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 64–72, 2012.
- H. Wan, H. Zhu, M. Tian et al., “Protective effect of chuanxiongzine-puerarin in a rat model of transient middle cerebral artery occlusion-induced focal cerebral ischemia,” Nuclear Medicine Communications, vol. 29, no. 12, pp. 1113–1122, 2008.
- M. Hoehn, K. Nicolay, C. Franke, and B. D. van Sanden, “Application of magnetic resonance to animal models of cerebral Ischemia,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 14, no. 5, pp. 491–509, 2001.
- Z. Zhang, P. Li, Z. Wang et al., “A comparative study on the individual and combined effects of baicalin and jasminoidin on focal cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury,” Brain Research, vol. 1123, no. 1, pp. 188–195, 2006.
- Z. Wu, J. Hu, F. Du, X. Zhou, Q. Xiang, and F. Miao, “Long-term changes of diffusion tensor imaging and behavioural status after acupuncture treatment in rats with transient focal cerebral ischaemia,” Acupuncture in Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 331–338, 2012.
- Y. Shen, M. Li, R. Wei, and M. Lou, “Effect of acupuncture therapy for postponing Wallerian degeneration of cerebral infarction as shown by diffusion tensor imaging,” The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 1154–1160, 2012.
- G. J. Li, C. R. Yang, and S. Edward, “An fMRI study of somatosensory-implicated acupuncture points in stable somatosensory stroke patients,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 1018–1024, 2006.
- P. Huang, C. M. Zhou, Qin-Hu, et al., “Cerebralcare Granule attenuates blood-brain barrier disruption after middle cerebral artery occlusion in rats,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 237, no. 2, pp. 453–463, 2012.
- F. Zhang, Y. Wu, and J. Jia, “Electro-acupuncture can alleviate the cerebral oedema of rat after ischemia,” Brain Injury, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 895–900, 2011.
- H. Liu, X. Shen, H. Tang, J. Li, T. Xiang, and W. Yu, “Using microPET imaging in quantitative verification of the acupuncture effect in ischemia stroke treatment,” Scientific Reports, vol. 3, article 1070, 2013.
- M. Bi, S. Tong, Z. Zhang et al., “Changes in cerebral glucose metabolism in patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer's disease: a pilot study with the Chinese herbal medicine fuzhisan,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 501, no. 1, pp. 35–40, 2011.
- A. Drzezga, N. Lautenschlager, H. Siebner et al., “Cerebral metabolic changes accompanying conversion of mild cognitive impairment into alzheimer's disease: a PET follow-up study,” European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 1104–1113, 2003.
- S. Yuan, K. Gao, D. Wang et al., “Evodiamine improves congnitive abilities in SAMP8 and APPswe/PS1ΔE9 transgenic mouse models of Alzheimer's disease,” Acta Pharmacologica Sinica, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 295–302, 2011.
- M. P. Mattson, “Pathways towards and away from Alzheimer's disease,” Nature, vol. 430, no. 7000, pp. 631–639, 2004.
- X. L. Li, D. S. Wang, B. Q. Zhao et al., “Effects of Chinese herbal medicine fuzhisan on aged rats,” Experimental Gerontology, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 853–858, 2008.
- X. Wang, X. Liang, F. Li et al., “Therapeutic strategies for Parkinson's disease: the ancient meets the future—traditional Chinese herbal medicine, electroacupuncture, gene therapy and stem cells,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 33, no. 10, pp. 1956–1963, 2008.
- Z. Zhang, Z. Dong, and G. C. Román, “Early descriptions of Parkinson disease in ancient China,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 63, no. 5, pp. 782–784, 2006.
- Y. Huang, X. Jiang, Y. Zhuo, A. Tang, and G. Wik, “Complementary acupuncture treatment increases cerebral metabolism in patients with Parkinson's disease,” International Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 119, no. 8, pp. 1190–1197, 2009.
- Y. Assaf and O. Pasternak, “Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI)-based white matter mapping in brain research: a review,” Journal of Molecular Neuroscience, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 51–61, 2008.
- M. E. Moseley, Y. Cohen, J. Mintorovitch et al., “Early detection of regional cerebral ischemia in cats: comparison of diffusion- and T2-weighted MRI and spectroscopy,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 14, no. 2, pp. 330–346, 1990.
- C. Yu, C. Zhu, Y. Zhang et al., “A longitudinal diffusion tensor imaging study on Wallerian degeneration of corticospinal tract after motor pathway stroke,” NeuroImage, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 451–458, 2009.
- H. T. Chugani, M. E. Phelps, and J. C. Mazziotta, “Positron emission tomography study of human brain functional development,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 487–497, 1987.
- W. J. Schwartz, C. B. Smith, and L. Davidsen, “Metabolic mapping of functional activity in the hypothalamo-neurohypophysial system of the rat,” Science, vol. 205, no. 4407, pp. 723–725, 1979.
- D. A. Evans, H. H. Funkenstein, M. S. Albert et al., “Prevalence of Alzheimer's disease in a community population of older persons. Higher than previously reported,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 262, no. 18, pp. 2551–2556, 1989.
- H. Jiang, X. Luo, and D. Bai, “Progress in clinical, pharmacological, chemical and structural biological studies of huperzine A: a drug of traditional Chinese medicine origin for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 21, pp. 2231–2252, 2003.
- M. Shoji, “Drug therapy for Alzheimer disease,” Brain and Nerve, vol. 62, no. 7, pp. 777–785, 2010.
- T. Y. Wu, C. P. Chen, and T. R. Jinn, “Traditional Chinese medicines and Alzheimer's disease,” Taiwanese Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 131–135, 2011.
- C. Haense, K. Herholz, W. J. Jagust, and W. D. Heiss, “Performance of FDG PET for detection of Alzheimer's disease in two independent multicentre samples (NEST-DD and ADNI),” Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders, vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 259–266, 2009.
- Y. Zhou and J. Jia, “Effect of acupuncture given at the HT 7, ST 36, ST 40 and KI 3 acupoints on various parts of the brains of Alzheimer's disease patients,” Acupuncture and Electro-Therapeutics Research, vol. 33, no. 1-2, pp. 9–17, 2008.
- Z. Wang, B. Nie, D. Li et al., “Effect of acupuncture in mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer disease: a functional MRI study,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 8, Article ID e42730, 2012.
- T. Gasser, “Mendelian forms of Parkinson's disease,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1792, no. 7, pp. 587–596, 2009.
- G. Zheng, “Therapeutic history of Parkinson's disease in Chinese medical treatises,” Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, vol. 15, no. 11, pp. 1223–1230, 2009.
- G. T. Gullberg, B. W. Reutter, A. Sitek, J. S. Maltz, and T. F. Budinger, “Dynamic single photon emission computed tomography-basic principles and cardiac applications,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 55, no. 20, pp. R111–R191, 2010.
- Y. Huang, X. Jiang, Y. Zhuo, and G. Wik, “Complementary acupuncture in Parkinson's disease: a spect study,” International Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 150–154, 2010.
- J. Yang, J. S. C. Chen, Y. Yang et al., “Neuroprotection effects of retained acupuncture in neurotoxin-induced Parkinson's disease mice,” Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, vol. 25, no. 7, pp. 1452–1459, 2011.
- G. Wolf and N. Abolmaali, “Preclinical molecular imaging using PET and MRI,” Recent Results Cancer Research, vol. 187, pp. 257–310, 2013.
- Y. F. Tai and P. Piccini, “Applications of positron emission tomography (PET) in neurology,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 75, no. 5, pp. 669–676, 2004.
- Y. He, H. Wan, Y. Du et al., “Protective effect of Danhong injection on cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 387–394, 2012.