- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 618595, 8 pages
Peak Oxygen Uptake Responses to Training in Obese Adolescents: A Multilevel Allometric Framework to Partition the Influence of Body Size and Maturity Status
1Faculty of Sport Sciences and Physical Education, University of Coimbra, 3040-156 Coimbra, Portugal
2Department of Physical Education, Federal University of Paraná, 81690-100 Curitiba, PR, Brazil
3Department of Physical Education, State University of Campinas, 13083-851 Campinas, SP, Brazil
4Pediatric Endocrinology Unit, Department of Nutrition, Federal University of Paraná, 80210-170 Curitiba, PR, Brazil
Received 21 April 2013; Revised 21 June 2013; Accepted 24 June 2013
Academic Editor: Konstantinos Kantartzis
Copyright © 2013 Humberto M. Carvalho et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Armstrong and J. R. Welsman, “Assessment and interpretation of aerobic fitness in children and adolescents,” Exercise and Sport Sciences Reviews, vol. 22, pp. 435–476, 1994.
- ACSM. American College of Sports Medicine, ACSM’S Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 2006.
- N. Armstrong and A. R. Barker, “Endurance training and elite young athletes,” Medicine and Sport Science, vol. 56, pp. 59–83, 2011.
- N. Armstrong, J. R. Welsman, A. M. Nevill, and B. J. Kirby, “Modeling growth and maturation changes in peak oxygen uptake in 11–13 yr olds,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 87, no. 6, pp. 2230–2236, 1999.
- J. M. Tanner, “Fallacy of per-weight and per-surface area standards, and their relation to spurious correlation,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1–15, 1949.
- J. R. Welsman, N. Armstrong, A. M. Nevill, E. M. Winter, and B. J. Kirby, “Scaling peak VO2 for differences in body size,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 259–265, 1996.
- R. Gueorguieva and J. H. Krystal, “Move over ANOVA: progress in analyzing repeated-measures data and its reflection in papers published in the Archives of General Psychiatry,” Archives of General Psychiatry, vol. 61, no. 3, pp. 310–317, 2004.
- M. Kristensen and T. Hansen, “Statistical analyses of repeated measures in physiological research: a tutorial,” Advances in Physiology Education, vol. 28, pp. 2–14, 2004.
- A. M. Nevill, R. L. Holder, A. Baxter-Jones, J. M. Round, and D. A. Jones, “Modeling developmental changes in strength and aerobic power in children,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 84, no. 3, pp. 963–970, 1998.
- C. L. Ogden, M. D. Carroll, B. K. Kit, and K. M. Flegal, “Prevalence of obesity and trends in body mass index among US children and adolescents, 1999-2010,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 307, no. 5, pp. 483–490, 2012.
- D. S. Freedman, Z. Mei, S. R. Srinivasan, G. S. Berenson, and W. H. Dietz, “Cardiovascular risk factors and excess adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 12–17, 2007.
- A. S. Singh, C. Mulder, J. W. R. Twisk, W. van Mechelen, and M. J. M. Chinapaw, “Tracking of childhood overweight into adulthood: a systematic review of the literature,” Obesity Reviews, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 474–488, 2008.
- D. A. Caranti, M. T. de Mello, W. L. Prado et al., “Short- and long-term beneficial effects of a multidisciplinary therapy for the control of metabolic syndrome in obese adolescents,” Metabolism, vol. 56, no. 9, pp. 1293–1300, 2007.
- B. H. Knöpfli, T. Radtke, M. Lehmann et al., “Effects of a multidisciplinary inpatient intervention on body composition, aerobic fitness, and quality of life in severely obese girls and boys,” Journal of Adolescent Health, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 119–127, 2008.
- S. Lazzer, Y. Boirie, C. Montaurier, J. Vernet, M. Meyer, and M. Vermorel, “A weight reduction program preserves fat-free mass but not metabolic rate in obese adolescents,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 233–240, 2004.
- I. Janssen, P. T. Katzmarzyk, R. Ross et al., “Fitness alters the associations of BMI and waist circumference with total and abdominal fat,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 525–537, 2004.
- M. de Onis, A. W. Onyango, E. Borghi, A. Siyam, C. Nishida, and J. Siekmann, “Development of a WHO growth reference for school-aged children and adolescents,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 85, no. 9, pp. 660–667, 2007.
- T. J. Cole, M. C. Bellizzi, K. M. Flegal, and W. H. Dietz, “Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey,” British Medical Journal, vol. 320, no. 7244, pp. 1240–1243, 2000.
- C. Bouchard, A. Tremblay, C. Leblanc, G. Lortie, R. Savard, and G. Thériault, “A method to assess energy expenditure in children and adults,” American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 461–467, 1983.
- J. M. Tanner, Growth at Adolescence: With a General Consideration of the Effects of Hereditary and Environmental Factors Upon Growth and Maturation from Birth to Maturity, Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, UK, 2nd edition, 1962.
- T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and R. Martorell, Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1988.
- R. J. Kuczmarski, C. L. Ogden, L. M. Grummer-Strawn et al., “CDC growth charts: United States,” Advance Data, no. 314, pp. 1–27, 2000.
- L. B. Houtkooper, S. B. Going, T. G. Lohman, A. F. Roche, and M. van Loan, “Bioelectrical impedance estimation of fat-free body mass in children and youth: a cross-validation study,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 366–373, 1992.
- S. Z. Yanovski, V. S. Hubbard, S. B. Heymsfield, and H. C. Lukaski, “Bioelectrical impedance analysis in body composition measurement: National Institutes of Health Technology Assessment Conference Statement,” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 64, pp. 524S–532S, 1996.
- T. W. Rowland, Aerobic Testing Protocols: Pediatric Laboratory Exercise Testing, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 1993.
- L. F. Tinker, R. Patterson, A. Kristal et al., “Measurement characteristics of 2 different self-monitoring tools used in a dietary intervention study,” Journal of the American Dietetic Association, vol. 101, no. 9, pp. 1031–1040, 2001.
- A. M. Batterham and W. G. Hopkins, “Making meaningful inferences about magnitudes,” International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 50–57, 2006.
- J. D. Singer and J. B. Willett, Applied Longitudinal Data Analysis: Methods for Studying Change and Event Occurrence, Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, 2003.
- B. Deforche, I. de Bourdeaudhuij, P. Debode et al., “Changes in fat mass, fat-free mass and aerobic fitness in severely obese children and adolescents following a residential treatment programme,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 162, no. 9, pp. 616–622, 2003.
- B. Gutin and S. Owens, “Role of exercise intervention in improving body fat distribution and risk profile in children,” American Journal of Human Biology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 237–247, 1999.
- R. M. Malina, C. Bouchard, and O. Bar-Or, Growth, Maturation, and Physical Activity, Human Kinetics, Champaign, Ill, USA, 2nd edition, 2004.
- U. Ekelund, P. W. Franks, N. J. Wareham, and J. Åman, “Oxygen uptakes adjusted for body composition in normal-weight and obese adolescents,” Obesity Research, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 513–520, 2004.
- G. Beunen, A. D. G. Baxter-Jones, R. L. Mirwald et al., “Intraindividual allometric development of aerobic power in 8- to 16-year-old boys,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 503–510, 2002.
- C. A. Geithner, M. A. Thomis, B. Vanden Eynde et al., “Growth in peak aerobic power during adolescence,” Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, vol. 36, no. 9, pp. 1616–1624, 2004.
- N. Armstrong and J. R. Welsman, “Peak oxygen uptake in relation to growth and maturation in 11- to 17-year-old humans,” European Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 85, no. 6, pp. 546–551, 2001.