- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 623743, 6 pages
Maternal Deaths in NSW (2000–2006) from Nonmedical Causes (Suicide and Trauma) in the First Year following Birth
1University of Western Sydney, Locked Bag 1797, Penrith South, NSW 2751, Australia
2University of Toronto, 155 College Street, Toronto, ON, Canada M5T 2P8
3University of New South Wales, High Street, Kensington, NSW 2050, Australia
Received 29 April 2013; Revised 18 July 2013; Accepted 18 July 2013
Academic Editor: Nadia Alfaidy
Copyright © 2013 Charlene Thornton et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Li, R. Zeki, L. Hilder, and E. A. Sullivan, Australia's Mothers and Babies 2010, Perinatal Statistics Series no. 27. Cat. no. PER 57, AIHW, Canberra, Australia, 2012.
- L. Say, R. C. Pattinson, and A. M. Gülmezoglu, “WHO systematic review of maternal morbidity and mortality: the prevalence of severe acute maternal morbidity (near miss),” Reproductive Health, vol. 1, p. 3, 2004.
- S. Cliffe, D. Black, J. Bryant, and E. Sullivan, “Maternal deaths in New South Wales, Australia: a data linkage project,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 255–260, 2008.
- T. Tran, E. Roberson, J. Borstell, and D. L. Hoyert, “Evaluation of pregnancy mortality in louisiana using enhanced linkage and different indicators defined by WHO and CDC/ACOG: challenging and practical issues,” Maternal and Child Health Journal, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 955–963, 2011.
- M. Gissler, E. Hemminki, and J. Lönnqvist, “Suicides after pregnancy in Finland, 1987–94: register linkage study,” British Medical Journal, vol. 313, no. 7070, pp. 1431–1434, 1996.
- T. D. Dye, H. Gordon, B. Held, N. J. Tolliver, and A. P. Holmes, “Retrospective maternal mortality case ascertainment in West Virginia, 1985 to 1989,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 167, no. 1, pp. 72–76, 1992.
- H. K. Atrash, S. Alexander, and C. J. Berg, “Maternal mortality in developed countries: not just a concern of the past,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 86, no. 4, pp. 700–705, 1995.
- I. L. Horon, “Underreporting of maternal deaths on death certificates and the magnitude of the problem of maternal mortality,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. 478–482, 2005.
- E. K. Pradhan, K. P. West Jr., J. Katz et al., “Risk of death following pregnancy in rural Nepal,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 887–891, 2002.
- C. M. Oxford, “Trauma in pregnancy,” Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 52, no. 4, pp. 611–629, 2009.
- G. Lewis, Ed., The Confidential Enquiry into Maternal and Child Health (CEMACH). Saving Mothers Lives; Reviewing Maternal Deaths to Make Motherhood Safer 2003–05. The Seventh Report of the United Kingdom Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom, CEMACH, London, UK, 2007, http://www.cmace.org.uk/.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), Information Paper: Sexual Assault Information Development Framework, cat. no. 4518.0, ABS, Canberra, Australia, 2003.
- Victorian Health Promotion Foundation, Violence Against Women in Australia, Vic Health, Victoria, Australia, 2008.
- V. Schmied, M. Johnson, N. Naidoo et al., “Maternal mental health in Australia and New Zealand: a review of longitudinal studies,” Women and Birth, pp. S1871–S5192, 2013.
- L. Appleby, “Suicidal behaviour in childbearing women,” International Review of Psychiatry, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 107–115, 1996.
- V. H. Coleman-Cowger, “Mental health treatment need among pregnant and postpartum women/girls entering substance abuse treatment,” Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, vol. 26, pp. 345–350, 2012.
- Centre for Health Record Linkage, “Quality Assurance Report,” 2012, http://www.cherel.org.au/media/24160/qa_report_2012.pdf.
- World Health Organisation, “International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems 10th Revision,” 2007, http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2010/en.
- M. Gissler, S. Alexander, A. Macfarlane et al., “Stillbirths and infant deaths among migrants in industrialized countries,” Acta Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavica, vol. 88, no. 2, pp. 134–148, 2009.
- M.-P. Austin, S. Kildea, and E. Sullivan, “Maternal mortality and psychiatric morbidity in the perinatal period: challenges and opportunities for prevention in the Australian setting,” Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 186, no. 7, pp. 364–367, 2007.
- V. Ajdacic-Gross, M. G. Weiss, M. Ring et al., “Methods of suicide: international suicide patterns derived from the WHO mortality database,” Bulletin of the World Health Organization, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 726–732, 2008.
- “Australian Bureau of Statistics [Internet],” Gender Indicators, Canberra, Australia, January 2012, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8153.0/.
- J. L. Cox, J. M. Holden, and R. Sagovsky, “Detection of postnatal depression. Development of the 10-item Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale,” British Journal of Psychiatry, vol. 150, pp. 782–786, 1987.
- M. Harris, L. Bailey, C. Bridges-Webb et al., Guidelines for Preventive Activities in General Practice, Supported by a grant from the Australian Government Department of Health and Ageing. Prepared by The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners “Red Book” Taskforce, Canberra, Australia, 6th edition, 2005.
- beyondblue: the national depression initiative, “Clinical Practice guidelines for depression and related disorders—anxiety, bipolar disorder and puerperal psychosis—in the perinatal period,” 2011, http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?link_id=6.1246.
- NSW Health, and Families NSW, NSW Health, Families NSW: Supporting Families Early Package, NSW Dept. of Health, North Sydney, Australia, 2009.
- M. Mohsin and A. E. Bauman, “Socio-demographic factors associated with smoking and smoking cessation among 426,344 pregnant women in New South Wales, Australia,” BMC Public Health, vol. 5, article 138, 2005.
- S. N. Vigod, L. Villegas, C.-L. Dennis, and L. E. Ross, “Prevalence and risk factors for postpartum depression among women with preterm and low-birth-weight infants: a systematic review,” BJOG, vol. 117, no. 5, pp. 540–550, 2010.
- C.-L. Dennis and L. Chung-Lee, “Postpartum depression help-seeking barriers and maternal treatment preferences: a qualitative systematic review,” Birth, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 323–331, 2006.
- J. Yelland, G. Sutherland, and S. J. Brown, “Postpartum anxiety, depression and social health: findings from a population-based survey of Australian women,” BMC Public Health, vol. 10, article 771, 2010.
- H. L. Brown, “Trauma in Pregnancy,” Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 147–160, 2009.
- N. J. Caltabiano and M. L. Caltabiano, “Relationship between exhaustion and postnatal depression,” Psychological Reports, vol. 79, no. 1, pp. 225–226, 1996.
- H. Woolhouse, D. Gartland, K. Hegarty, S. Donath, and S. J. Brown, “Depressive symptoms and intimate partner violence in the 12 months after childbirth: a prospective pregnancy cohort study,” BJOG, vol. 119, no. 3, pp. 315–323, 2012.
- R. Reay, S. Matthey, D. Ellwood, and M. Scott, “Long-term outcomes of participants in a perinatal depression early detection program,” Journal of Affective Disorders, vol. 129, no. 1–3, pp. 94–103, 2011.
- W. Sword, D. Busser, R. Ganann, T. McMillan, and M. Swinton, “Women's care-seeking experiences after referral for postpartum depression,” Qualitative Health Research, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1161–1173, 2008.
- K. A. Myors, V. Schmied, M. Johnson, and M. Cleary, “Collaboration and integrated services for perinatal mental health: an integrative review,” Child and Adolescent Mental Health, vol. 18, pp. 1–10, 2013.
- C. A. Allat, Carer's Guide to Puerperal Psychosis, Canberra, Australia, 2006.
- R. W. Gow, J. A. Lydecker, J. D. Lamanna, and S. E. Mazzeo, “Representations of celebrities' weight and shape during pregnancy and postpartum: a content analysis of three entertainment magazine websites,” Body Image, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 172–175, 2012.
- R. L. Miller, J. F. Pallant, and L. M. Negri, “Anxiety and stress in the postpartum: Is there more to postnatal distress than depression?” BMC Psychiatry, vol. 6, article 12, 2006.
- B. N. Gaynes, N. Gavin, S. Meltzer-Brody et al., “Perinatal depression: prevalence, screening accuracy, and screening outcomes,” Evidence Report/Technology Assessment (Summary), no. 119, pp. 1–8, 2005.