- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 624563, 6 pages
Role of Corneal Epithelium in Riboflavin/Ultraviolet-A Mediated Corneal Cross-Linking Treatment in Rabbit Eyes
1Department of Ophthalmology, Shandong Provincial Hospital Affiliated to Shandong University, No. 324, Jing 5 Road, Jinan, Shandong 250021, China
2Department of Ophthalmology, Affiliated Hospital of Weifang Medical College, Weifang, Shandong 261000, China
3Department of Visual Sciences and Ophthalmology, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shatin, Hong Kong
4Centre for Eye Research Australia, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, VIC, Australia
Received 15 April 2013; Accepted 11 June 2013
Academic Editor: Vasilios F. Diakonis
Copyright © 2013 Xiangchen Tao et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- V. Jhanji, N. Sharma, and R. B. Vajpayee, “Management of keratoconus: current scenario,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 95, no. 8, pp. 1044–1050, 2011.
- W. Sekundo and J. D. Stevens, “Surgical treatment of keratoconus at the turn of the 20th century,” Journal of Refractive Surgery, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 69–73, 2001.
- J. Colin, B. Cochener, G. Savary, and F. Malet, “Correcting keratoconus with intracorneal rings,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1117–1122, 2000.
- G. Wollensak, E. Spoerl, and T. Seiler, “Riboflavin/ultraviolet-A-induced collagen crosslinking for the treatment of keratoconus,” American Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 135, no. 5, pp. 620–627, 2003.
- G. Wollensak, E. Spoerl, and T. Seiler, “Stress-strain measurements of human and porcine corneas after riboflavin-ultraviolet-A-induced cross-linking,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 29, no. 9, pp. 1780–1785, 2003.
- K. M. Bottós, P. Schor, J. L. Dreyfuss, H. B. Nader, and W. Chamon, “Effect of corneal epithelium on ultraviolet-A and riboflavin absorption,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Oftalmologia, vol. 74, no. 5, pp. 348–351, 2011.
- K. Samaras, D. P. O'Brart, J. Doutch, S. Hayes, J. Marshall, and K. M. Meek, “Effect of epithelial retention and removal on ribofl avin absorption in porcine corneas,” Journal of Refractive Surgery, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 771–775, 2009.
- S. Hayes, D. P. O'Brart, L. S. Lamdin et al., “Effect of complete epithelial debridement before riboflavin-ultraviolet-A corneal collagen crosslinking therapy,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 657–661, 2008.
- C. Weiyi, X. Wang, C. Wang, L. Tao, X. Li, and Q. Zhang, “An experimental study on collagen content and biomechanical properties of sclera after posterior sclera reinforcement,” Clinical Biomechanics, vol. 23, supplement 1, pp. S17–S20, 2008.
- A. Gefen, R. Shalom, D. Elad, and Y. Mandel, “Biomechanical analysis of the keratoconic cornea,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 224–236, 2009.
- R. Mencucci, M. Marini, I. Paladini et al., “Effects of riboflavin/UVA corneal cross-linking on keratocytes and collagen fibres in human cornea,” Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 49–56, 2010.
- S. Kling, L. Remon, A. Pérez-Escudero, J. Merayo-Lloves, and S. Marcos, “Corneal biomechanical changes after collagen cross-linking from porcine eye inflation experiments,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 51, no. 8, pp. 3961–3968, 2010.
- A. Caporossi, S. Baiocchi, C. Mazzotta, C. Traversi, and T. Caporossi, “Parasurgical therapy for keratoconus by riboflavin-ultraviolet type A rays induced cross-linking of corneal collagen. Preliminary refractive results in an Italian study,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 837–845, 2006.
- F. Raiskup-Wolf, A. Hoyer, E. Spoerl, and L. E. Pillunat, “Collagen crosslinking with riboflavin and ultraviolet-A light in keratoconus: Long-term results,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 796–801, 2008.
- E. Lanchares, M. A. del Buey, J. A. Cristóbal, L. Lavilla, and B. Calvo, “Biomechanical property analysis after corneal collagen cross-linking in relation to ultraviolet A irradiation time,” Graefe's Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, vol. 249, no. 8, pp. 1223–1227, 2011.
- S. Schumacher, M. Mrochen, J. Wernli, M. Bueeler, and T. Seiler, “Optimization model for UV-riboflavin corneal cross-linking,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 762–769, 2012.
- E. Spoerl, M. Mrochen, D. Sliney, S. Trokel, and T. Seiler, “Safety of UVA-riboflavin cross-linking of the cornea,” Cornea, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 385–389, 2007.
- G. T. Kymionis, M. A. Grentzelos, G. A. Kounis, V. F. Diakonis, A. N. Limnopoulou, and S. I. Panagopoulou, “Combined transepithelial phototherapeutic keratectomy and cornal collagen cross-linking for progressive keratoconus,” Ophthalmology, vol. 119, no. 9, pp. 1777–1784, 2012.
- A. Ertan, H. Karacal, and G. Kamburoǧlu, “Refractive and topographic results of transepithelial cross-linking treatment in eyes with intacs,” Cornea, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 719–723, 2009.
- L. L. Vicente and B. S. Boxer Wachler, “Factors that correlate with improvement in vision after combined Intacs and trans-epithelial corneal crosslinking,” British Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 94, no. 12, pp. 1597–1601, 2010.
- A. Leccisotti and T. Islam, “Transepithelial corneal collagen cross-linking in keratoconus,” Journal of Refractive Surgery, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 942–948, 2010.
- M. M. Al Marzouky, H. I. El-Shawaf, and R. Pinelli, “Tensioactive-mediated transepithelial corneal cross-linking-first laboratory report,” European Ophthalmic Review, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 67–70, 2009.
- G. Wollensak and E. Iomdina, “Biomechanical and histological changes after corneal crosslinking with and without epithelial debridement,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 540–546, 2009.
- S. Baiocchi, C. Mazzotta, D. Cerretani, T. Caporossi, and A. Caporossi, “Corneal crosslinking: riboflavin concentration in corneal stroma exposed with and without epithelium,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 35, no. 5, pp. 893–899, 2009.
- A. Kissner, E. Spoerl, R. Jung, K. Spekl, L. E. Pillunat, and F. Raiskup, “Pharmacological modification of the epithelial permeability by benzalkonium chloride in UVA/Riboflavin corneal collagen cross-linking,” Current Eye Research, vol. 35, no. 8, pp. 715–721, 2010.
- F. Raiskup, R. Pinelli, and E. Spoerl, “Riboflavin osmolar modification for transepithelial corneal cross-linking,” Current Eye Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 234–238, 2012.
- L. Kolozsvári, A. Nógrádi, B. Hopp, and Z. Bor, “UV absorbance of the human cornea in the 240- to 400-nm range,” Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science, vol. 43, no. 7, pp. 2165–2168, 2002.
- M. Filippello, E. Stagni, and D. O'Brart, “Transepithelial corneal collagen crosslinking: bilateral study,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 283–291, 2012.
- A. Caporossi, C. Mazzotta, S. Baiocchi, T. Caporossi, and A. L. Paradiso, “Transepithelial corneal collagen crosslinking for keratoconus: qualitative investigation by in vivo HRT II confocal analysis,” European Journal of Ophthalmology, vol. 22, supplement 7, pp. S81–S88, 2012.
- T. A. Alhamad, D. P. S. O'Brart, N. A. L. O'Brart, and K. M. Meek, “Evaluation of transepithelial stromal riboflavin absorption with enhanced riboflavin solution using spectrophotometry,” Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 884–889, 2012.