- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 624815, 12 pages
The Ehrlich Tumor Induces Pain-Like Behavior in Mice: A Novel Model of Cancer Pain for Pathophysiological Studies and Pharmacological Screening
1Departamento de Ciências Patológicas, Centro de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Rod. Celso Garcia Cid KM480 PR445, 86051-990 Londrina, PR, Brazil
2Departamento de Ciências Fisiológicas, Centro de Ciências Biológicas, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Rod. Celso Garcia Cid KM480 PR445, 86051-990 Londrina, PR, Brazil
3Departamento de Enfermagem, Centro de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Avenida Robert Koch 60, 86038-350 Londrina, PR, Brazil
4Departamento Ciências Farmacêuticas, Centro de Ciências da Saúde, Universidade Estadual de Londrina, Avenida Robert Koch 60, 86038-350 Londrina, PR, Brazil
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 10 July 2013
Academic Editor: Monica Fedele
Copyright © 2013 Cassia Calixto-Campos et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- P. E. Greenberg, S. A. Leong, H. G. Birnbaum, and R. L. Robinson, “The economic burden of depression with painful symptoms,” Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, vol. 64, no. 7, pp. 17–23, 2003.
- C. R. Green, S. K. Ndao-Brumblay, and T. Hart-Johnson, “Sleep problems in a racially diverse chronic pain population,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 423–430, 2009.
- W. F. Stewart, J. A. Ricci, E. Chee, D. Morganstein, and R. Lipton, “Lost productive time and cost due to common pain conditions in the US workforce,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 290, no. 18, pp. 2443–2454, 2003.
- D. C. Turk, “Clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of treatments for patients with chronic pain,” Clinical Journal of Pain, vol. 18, no. 6, pp. 355–365, 2002.
- K. O. Anderson, T. R. Mendoza, V. Valero et al., “Minority cancer patients and their providers: pain management attitudes and practice,” Cancer, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 1929–1938, 2000.
- J. E. Nelson, D. E. Meier, E. J. Oei et al., “Self-reported symptom experience of critically ill cancer patients receiving intensive care,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 277–282, 2001.
- A. Caraceni, “Evaluation and assessment of cancer pain and cancer pain treatment,” Acta Anaesthesiologica Scandinavica, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 1067–1075, 2001.
- C. R. Green, T. Hart-Johnson, and D. R. Loeffler, “Cancer-related chronic pain,” Cancer, vol. 117, no. 9, pp. 1994–2003, 2011.
- M. H. J. van den Beuken-van Everdingen, J. M. de Rijke, A. G. Kessels, H. C. Schouten, M. van Kleef, and J. Patijn, “Prevalence of pain in patients with cancer: a systematic review of the past 40 years,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 18, no. 9, pp. 1437–1449, 2007.
- T. Sasamura, S. Nakamura, Y. Iida et al., “Morphine analgesia suppresses tumor growth and metastasis in a mouse model of cancer pain produced by orthotopic tumor inoculation,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 441, no. 3, pp. 185–191, 2002.
- M. Shimoyama, K. Tanaka, F. Hasue, and N. Shimoyama, “A mouse model of neuropathic cancer pain,” Pain, vol. 99, no. 1-2, pp. 167–174, 2002.
- M. J. Schwei, P. Honore, S. D. Rogers et al., “Neurochemical and cellular reorganization of the spinal cord in a murine model of bone cancer pain,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 24, pp. 10886–10897, 1999.
- P. W. Wacnik, L. J. Eikmeier, T. R. Ruggles et al., “Functional interactions between tumor and peripheral nerve: morphology, algogen identification, and behavioral characterization of a new murine model of cancer pain,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 21, no. 23, pp. 9355–9366, 2001.
- P. W. Mantyh, “Mechanisms of malignant bone pain,” in Cancer Pain: From Molecules to Suffering, A. J. Paice, R. F. Bell, E. A. Kalso, and O. A. Soyannwo, Eds., chapter 3, pp. 45–62, IASP Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1st edition, 2010.
- M. Kress, “Cytokines and cancer pain,” in Cancer Pain: From Molecules to Suffering, A. J. Paice, R. F. Bell, E. A. Kalso, and O. A. Soyannwo, Eds., chapter 4, pp. 63–84, IASP Press, Washington, DC, USA, 1st edition, 2010.
- P. Ehrlich and H. Apolant, “Beobachtungen uber maligne mausetumoren,” Berliner Klinische Wochenschrift, vol. 42, pp. 871–874, 1905.
- H. Loewenthal and G. Jahn, “Übertragunsversuche mit carcinomatöser Mäuse-Ascitesflüssigkeit und ihr Verhalten gegen physikalische und chemische Einwirkungen,” Zeitschrift für Krebsforschung, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 439–447, 1932.
- H. Ahmed, B. P. Chatterjee, and A. K. Debnath, “Interaction and in vivo growth inhibition of Ehrlich ascites tumor cells by jacalin,” Journal of Biosciences, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 419–424, 1988.
- S. Kametani, T. Oikawa, A. Kojima-Yuasa et al., “Mechanism of growth inhibitory effect of cape aloe extract in Ehrlich ascites tumor cells,” Journal of Nutritional Science and Vitaminology, vol. 53, no. 6, pp. 540–546, 2007.
- E. Balamurugan, B. V. Reddy, and V. P. Menon, “Antitumor and antioxidant role of Chrysaora quinquecirrha (sea nettle) nematocyst venom peptide against ehrlich ascites carcinoma in Swiss Albino mice,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 338, no. 1-2, pp. 69–76, 2009.
- A. Kumar, S. S. D'Souza, S. R. Mysore Nagaraj, S. L. Gaonkar, B. P. Salimath, and K. M. L. Rai, “Antiangiogenic and antiproliferative effects of substituted-1,3,4-oxadiazole derivatives is mediated by down regulation of VEGF and inhibition of translocation of HIF-1α in Ehrlich ascites tumor cells,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 64, no. 6, pp. 1221–1233, 2009.
- J. Fastaia and A. E. Dumont, “Pathogenesis of ascites in mice with peritoneal carcinomatosis,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 547–550, 1976.
- F. Hartveit, “The immediate cause of death in mice with Ehrlich's ascites carcinoma,” Acta Pathologica et Microbiologica Scandinavica, vol. 65, no. 3, pp. 359–365, 1965.
- K. D. Mayer, “The pathogenicity of the Ehrlich ascites tumour,” British Journal of Experimental Pathology, vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 537–544, 1966.
- J. Vieira, P. Matsuzaki, M. K. Nagamine et al., “Inhibition of ascitic Ehrlich tumor cell growth by intraperitoneal injection of Pfaffia paniculata (Brazilian ginseng) butanolic residue,” Brazilian Archives of Biology and Technology, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 609–613, 2010.
- X. Zhu, H. Wu, J. Xia, M. Zhao, and Z. Xianyu, “The relationship between c-MIBI uptakes and tumor cell death/proliferation state under irradiation,” Cancer Letters, vol. 182, no. 2, pp. 217–222, 2002.
- P. Brigatte, S. C. Sampaio, V. P. Gutierrez et al., “Walker 256 tumor-bearing rats as a model to study cancer pain,” Journal of Pain, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 412–421, 2007.
- T. M. Cunha, W. A. Verri Jr., G. G. Vivancos et al., “An electronic pressure-meter nociception paw test for mice,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 401–407, 2004.
- D. A. R. Valério, T. M. Cunha, N. S. Arakawa et al., “Anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects of the sesquiterpene lactone budlein A in mice: inhibition of cytokine production-dependent mechanism,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 562, no. 1-2, pp. 155–163, 2007.
- S. J. Medhurst, K. Walker, M. Bowes et al., “A rat model of bone cancer pain,” Pain, vol. 96, no. 1-2, pp. 129–140, 2002.
- D. R. Clohisy, C. M. Ogilvie, and M. L. R. Ramnaraine, “Tumor osteolysis in osteopetrotic mice,” Journal of Orthopaedic Research, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 892–897, 1995.
- L. Menendéz, L. Juárez, V. García, A. Hidalgo, and A. Baamond, “Involvement of nitric oxide in the inhibition of bone cancer-induced hyperalgesia thought the activation of peripheral opioid receptors in mice,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 71–80, 2007.
- Y. Kuraishi, Y. Iida, H. Zhang et al., “Suppression by gabapentin of pain-related mechano-responses in mice given orthotopic tumor inoculation,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 550–552, 2003.
- N. M. Luger, P. Honore, M. A. C. Sabino et al., “Osteoprotegerin diminishes advanced bone cancer pain,” Cancer Research, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 4038–4047, 2001.
- R. K. Portenoy and G. Frager, “Pain management: pharmacological approaches,” Cancer Treatment and Research, vol. 100, pp. 1–29, 1999.
- M. Shimoyama, H. Tatsuoka, S. Ohtori, K. Tanaka, and N. Shimoyama, “Change of dorsal horn neurochemistry in a mouse model of neuropathic cancer pain,” Pain, vol. 114, no. 1-2, pp. 221–230, 2005.
- M. E. Mouedden and T. F. Meert, “Pharmacological evaluation of opioid and non-opioid analgesics in a murine bone cancer model of pain,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 86, no. 3, pp. 458–467, 2007.
- O. Saito, T. Aoe, and T. Yamamoto, “Analgesic effects of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, acetaminophen, and morphine in a mouse model of bone cancer pain,” Journal of Anesthesia, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 218–224, 2005.
- K. Vissers, V. Hoffmann, F. Geenen, R. Biermans, and T. Meert, “Is the second phase of the formalin test useful to predict activity in chronic constriction injury models? A pharmacological comparison in different species,” Journal of World Institute of Pain, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 298–309, 2003.
- W. G. Harris, E. A. Benson, D. Cartwright et al., “Symptoms and signs of operable breast cancer,” The Journal of the Royal College of General Practitioners, vol. 33, pp. 473–476, 1983.
- K. Kroner, B. Krebs, J. Skov, and H. S. Jorgensen, “Immediate and long-term phantom breast syndrome after mastectomy: incidence, clinical characteristics and relationship to pre-mastectomy breast pain,” Pain, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 327–334, 1989.