- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 627412, 17 pages
Marked Ethnic, Nativity, and Socioeconomic Disparities in Disability and Health Insurance among US Children and Adults: The 2008–2010 American Community Survey
1US Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, 5600 Fishers Lane, Room 18-41, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
2US Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Bureau of Primary Health Care, 5600 Fishers Lane, Room 6A-55, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 4 September 2013
Academic Editor: Anna Karakatsani
Copyright © 2013 Gopal K. Singh and Sue C. Lin. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- US Census Bureau, Statistical Abstract of the United States, Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 131th edition, 2012.
- US Census Bureau, American Community Survey, Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 131th edition, 2012.
- J. D. Pinal and S. J. Lapham, We, the American Hispanics, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 1993.
- D. L. Johnson, M. J. Levin, and E. L. Paisano, We, the Asian and Pacific Islander Americans, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 1988.
- Pew Research Center, The Rise of Asian Americans, Pew Social & Demographic Trends, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- L. P. Walters and E. N. Trevelyan, The Newly Arrived Foreign-Born Population of the United States: 2010, American Community Survey Briefs, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, 2011.
- E. M. Grieco and E. N. Trevelyan, Place of Birth of the ForeignBorn Population: 2009, American Community Survey Briefs, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- E. M. Grieco, “Race and hispanic origin of the foreign-born population in the United States: 2007,” American Community Survey Reports, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2010.
- L. J. Larsen, “The Foreign-Born Population in the United States: March 2003,” Current Population Reports, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2004.
- Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics, America’S Children: Key National Indicators of Well-Being, US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, USA, 2012.
- G. K. Singh and B. A. Miller, “Health, life expectancy, and mortality patterns among immigrant populations in the United States,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, vol. 95, no. 3, pp. I14–I21, 2004.
- G. K. Singh and R. A. Hiatt, “Trends and disparities in socioeconomic and behavioural characteristics, life expectancy, and cause-specific mortality of native-born and foreign-born populations in the United States, 1979-2003,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 903–919, 2006.
- Y. Cho and R. A. Hummer, “Disability status differentials across fifteen asian and pacific islander groups and the effect of nativity and duration of residence in the U.S,” Social Biology, vol. 48, no. 3-4, pp. 171–195, 2001.
- C. Huang, N. K. Mehta, I. T. Elo et al., “Region of birth and disability among recent U.S. immigrants: evidence from the 2000 Census,” Population Research and Policy Review, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 399–418, 2011.
- J. E. Mutchler, A. Prakash, and J. A. Burr, “The demography of disability and the effects of immigrant history: older Asians in the United States,” Demography, vol. 44, no. 2, pp. 251–263, 2007.
- E. Fuller-Thomson, S. Brennenstuhl, and M. Hurd, “Comparison of disability rates among older adults in aggregated and separate Asian American/Pacific Islander subpopulations,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 101, no. 1, pp. 94–100, 2011.
- J. Waldrop and S. M. Stern, Disability Status: 2000. Census 2000 Brief, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- M. W. Brault, Disability Among the Working Age Population: 2008 and 2009, American Community Survey Briefs, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA.
- M. W. Brault, School-Aged Children With Disabilities in U.S. Metropolitan Statistical Areas: 2010, American Community Survey Briefs, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2011.
- US Census Bureau, “2000 Census of Population and Housing, Summary File 3,” Technical Documentation, US Department of Commerce, Washington, DC, USA, 2003.
- World Health Organization and The World Bank, World Report on Disability, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland, 2011.
- National Center for Health Statistics, Health, United States, 2011 with Special Feature on Socioeconomic Status and Health, US Department of Health and Human Services, Hyattsville, Md, USA, 2012.
- B. Altman and A. Bernstein, Disability and Health in the United States, 2001-2005, National Center for Health Statistics, Hyattsville, Md, USA, 2011.
- B. W. Ward and J. S. Schiller, “Prevalence of complex activity limitations among racial/ethnic groups and Hispanic subgroups of adults: United States, 2003-2009,” NCHS Data Brief, vol. 73, pp. 1–8, 2011.
- VicHealth, Disability and Health Inequalities in Australia, Victoria Health Promotion Foundation, Victoria, Australia, 2012, http://www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/publications.
- A. P. Wilper, S. Woolhandler, K. E. Lasser, D. McCormick, D. H. Bor, and D. U. Himmelstein, “Health insurance and mortality in US adults,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 99, no. 12, pp. 2289–2295, 2009.
- J. M. McWilliams, A. M. Zaslavsky, E. Meara, and J. Z. Ayanian, “Health insurance coverage and mortality among the near-elderly,” Health Affairs, vol. 23, no. 4, pp. 223–233, 2004.
- F. Abdullah, Y. Zhang, T. Lardaro et al., “Analysis of 23 million US hospitalizations: uninsured children have higher all-cause in-hospital mortality,” Journal of Public Health, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 236–244, 2010.
- G. K. Singh and M. Siahpush, “All-cause and cause-specific mortality of immigrants and native born in the United States,” American Journal of Public Health, vol. 91, no. 3, pp. 392–399, 2001.
- G. K. Singh and M. Siahpush, “Widening socioeconomic inequalities in US life expectancy, 1980-2000,” International Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 969–979, 2006.
- J. S. Schiller, J. W. Lucas, B. W. Ward, and J. A. Peregoy, “Summary health statistics for U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey, 2010,” Vital and Health Statistics, vol. 10, no. 252, pp. 1–207, 2012.
- P. F. Adams, M. E. Martinez, J. L. Vickerie, and W. K. Krizinger, “Summary health statistics for the U.S. population: National Health Interview Survey, 2010,” Vital and Health Statistics, vol. 10, no. 251, pp. 1–117, 2011.
- S. E. Ramsay, P. H. Whincup, R. W. Morris, L. T. Lennon, and S. G. Wannamethee, “Extent of social inequalities in disability in the elderly: results from a population-based study of British men,” Annals of Epidemiology, vol. 18, no. 12, pp. 896–903, 2008.
- L. M. Verbrugge and A. M. Jette, “The disablement process,” Social Science and Medicine, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 1–14, 1994.
- US Department of Health and Human Services, “Healthy people 2020,” 2013, http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/default.aspx.
- US Census Bureau, The American Community Survey 2008-2010 ACS 3-Year PUMS Files and Data Documentation, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, 2011, http://www.census.gov/acs/www/.
- USCensus Bureau , A Compass Ffor Understanding and Using American Community Survey Data: What Researchers Need to Know, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2009.
- US Census Bureau, The American Community Survey Design and Methodology Report, US Census Bureau, Washington, DC, USA, 2013, http://www.census.gov/acs/www/methodology/methodology_main/.
- R. Wilkinson and M. Marmot, Eds., Social Determinants of Health: the Solid Facts, World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2nd edition, 2003.
- SAS Institute, SAS/STAT USer’S Guide, VerSion 9.1: the LOGISTIC Procedure, SAS Institute Inc, Cary, NC, USA, 2004.
- SUDAAN, Software for the Statistical Analysis of Correlated Data, Release 10. 0. 1., Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, NC, USA, 2009.
- G. K. Singh and S. M. Yu, “The impact of ethnic-immigrant status and obesity-related risk factors on behavioral problems among US children and adolescents,” Scientifica, vol. 2012, Article ID 648152, 14 pages, 2012.
- H. J. Gans, “Toward a reconciliation of “assimilation” and “pluralism”: the interplay of acculturation and ethnic retention,” International Migration Review, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 875–892, 1997.
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, Disability in Canada: A, 2006 Profile, Human Resources and Skills Development Canada, Quebec, Canada, 2011, http://www12.hrsdc.gc.ca.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Sickness, Disability and Work: Breaking the Barriers. A Synthesis of Findings Across OECD Countries, OECD, Paris, France, 2010.
- J. E. DeVoe, C. J. Tillotson, and L. S. Wallace, “Childrens receipt of health care services and family health insurance patterns,” Annals of Familyy Medicine, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 406–412, 2009.
- H. Yoshikawa and A. Kalil, “The effects of parental undocumented status on the developmental contexts of young children in immigrant families,” Child Development Perspectives, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 291–297, 2011.
- Connecting Kids to Coverage: Steady Growth and New Innovation, CHIPRA Annual Report, 2011, http://insurekidsnow.gov/.
- S. Lindsay, G. King, A. F. Klassen, V. Esses, and M. Stachel, “Stachel M. Working with immigrant families raising a child with a disability: challenges and recommendations for healthcare and community service providers,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 34, no. 23, pp. 2007–2017, 2012.
- S. C. Lin, S. M. Yu, and R. L. Harwood, “Autism spectrum disorders and developmental disabilities in children from immigrant families in the United States,” Pediatrics, vol. 130, supplement 2, pp. S191–S197, 2012.
- K. Pitkin Derose, B. W. Bahney, N. Lurie, and J. J. Escarce, “Immigrants and health care access, quality, and cost,” Medical Care Research and Review, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 355–408, 2009.
- Affordable Care Act: the New Health Care Law at Two Years, http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/uploads/careact.pdf.
- New Funding Opportunity Announcement for Navigators in Federally-facilitated and State Partnership Marketplaces, http://cciio.cms.gov/resources/factsheets/navigator-foa.html.