- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 627496, 13 pages
Pharmacodynamic Analysis of Magnetic Resonance Imaging-Monitored Focused Ultrasound-Induced Blood-Brain Barrier Opening for Drug Delivery to Brain Tumors
1Department of Electrical Engineering, Chang-Gung University, 259 Wen-Hwa 1st Road, Kwei-Shan, Tao-Yuan 333, Taiwan
2Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Chang-Gung University and Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu-shin Street, Kwei-Shan, Tao-Yuan 333, Taiwan
3Department of Medical Imaging and Radiological Sciences, Chang-Gung University, 259 Wen-Hwa 1st Road, Kwei-Shan, Tao-Yuan 333, Taiwan
4Department of Neurosurgery, Chang-Gung Memorial Hospital, 5 Fu-shin Street, Kwei-Shan, Tao-Yuan 333, Taiwan
Received 21 January 2013; Accepted 25 February 2013
Academic Editor: Fan-Lin Kong
Copyright © 2013 Po-Chun Chu et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Hynynen, N. McDannold, N. Vykhodtseva, and F. A. Jolesz, “Noninvasive MR imaging-guided focal opening of the blood-brain barrier in rabbits,” Radiology, vol. 220, no. 3, pp. 640–646, 2001.
- K. Hynynen, N. McDannold, N. A. Sheikov, F. A. Jolesz, and N. Vykhodtseva, “Local and reversible blood-brain barrier disruption by noninvasive focused ultrasound at frequencies suitable for trans-skull sonications,” NeuroImage, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 12–20, 2005.
- K. Hynynen, N. McDannold, N. Vykhodtseva et al., “Focal disruption of the blood-brain barrier due to 260-kHz ultrasound bursts: a method for molecular imaging and targeted drug delivery,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 445–454, 2006.
- M. Kinoshita, N. McDannold, F. A. Jolesz, and K. Hynynen, “Targeted delivery of antibodies through the blood-brain barrier by MRI-guided focused ultrasound,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 340, no. 4, pp. 1085–1090, 2006.
- N. McDannold, N. Vykhodtseva, and K. Hynynen, “Effects of acoustic parameters and ultrasound contrast agent dose on focused-ultrasound induced blood-brain barrier disruption,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 34, no. 6, pp. 930–937, 2008.
- H. L. Liu, Y. Y. Wai, W. S. Chen et al., “Hemorrhage detection during focused-ultrasound induced blood-brain-barrier opening by using susceptibility-weighted magnetic resonance imaging,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 598–606, 2008.
- H. L. Liu, P. H. Hsu, P. N. Chu et al., “Magnetic resonance imaging enhanced by superparamagnetic iron oxide particles: usefulness for distinguishing between focused ultrasound-induced blood-brain barrier disruption and brain hemorrhage,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 31–38, 2009.
- M. Kinoshita, N. McDannold, F. A. Jolesz, and K. Hynynen, “Noninvasive localized delivery of Herceptin to the mouse brain by MRI-guided focused ultrasound-induced blood-brain barrier disruption,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 103, no. 31, pp. 11719–11723, 2006.
- L. H. Treat, N. McDannold, N. Vykhodtseva, Y. Zhang, K. Tam, and K. Hynynen, “Targeted delivery of doxorubicin to the rat brain at therapeutic levels using MRI-guided focused ultrasound,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 121, no. 4, pp. 901–907, 2007.
- J. Mei, Y. Cheng, Y. Song et al., “Experimental study on targeted methotrexate delivery to the rabbit brain via magnetic resonance imaging-guided focused ultrasound,” Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, vol. 28, no. 7, pp. 871–880, 2009.
- H. L. Liu, M. Y. Hua, P. Y. Chen et al., “Blood-brain barrier disruption with focused ultrasound enhances delivery of chemotherapeutic drugs for glioblastoma treatment,” Radiology, vol. 255, no. 2, pp. 415–425, 2010.
- W. M. Pardridge, “The blood-brain barrier: bottleneck in brain drug development,” NeuroRx, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 3–14, 2005.
- A. Jemal, R. Siegel, E. Ward et al., “Cancer statistics, 2006,” CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 106–130, 2006.
- S. A. Grossman and J. F. Batara, “Current management of glioblastoma multiforme,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 635–644, 2004.
- L. H. Treat, N. McDannold, Y. Zhang, N. Vykhodtseva, and K. Hynynen, “Improved anti-tumor effect of liposomal doxorubicin after targeted blood-brain barrier disruption by MRI-guided focused ultrasound in rat glioma,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1716–1725, 2012.
- H. L. Liu, M. Y. Hua, H. W. Yang et al., “Magnetic resonance monitoring of focused ultrasound/magnetic nanoparticle targeting delivery of therapeutic agents to the brain,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 107, no. 34, pp. 15205–15210, 2010.
- K. Liu, G. Wen, X. F. Lv et al., “MR imaging of cerebral extraventricular neurocytoma: a report of 9 cases,” The American Journal of Neuroradiology, 2012.
- N. McDannold, N. Vykhodtseva, and K. Hynynen, “Blood-brain barrier disruption induced by focused ultrasound and circulating preformed microbubbles appears to be characterized by the mechanical index,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 834–840, 2008.
- N. Vykhodtseva, N. McDannold, and K. Hynynen, “Progress and problems in the application of focused ultrasound for blood-brain barrier disruption,” Ultrasonics, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 279–296, 2008.
- F. Y. Yang, W. M. Fu, W. S. Chen, W. L. Yeh, and W. L. Lin, “Quantitative evaluation of the use of microbubbles with transcranial focused ultrasound on blood-brain-barrier disruption,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 636–643, 2008.
- F. Y. Yang, W. M. Fu, R. S. Yang, H. C. Liou, K. H. Kang, and W. L. Lin, “Quantitative evaluation of focused ultrasound with a contrast agent on blood-brain barrier disruption,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 33, no. 9, pp. 1421–1427, 2007.
- J. J. Choi, J. A. Feshitan, B. Baseri et al., “Microbubble-size dependence of focused ultrasound-induced bloodBrain barrier opening in mice in vivo,” IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 57, no. 1, pp. 145–154, 2010.
- R. Chopra, N. Vykhodtseva, and K. Hynynen, “Influence of exposure time and pressure amplitude on blood-brain-barrier opening using transcranial ultrasound exposures,” ACS Chemical Neuroscience, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 391–398, 2010.
- J. Park, Y. Zhang, N. Vykhodtseva, F. A. Jolesz, and N. J. McDannold, “The kinetics of blood brain barrier permeability and targeted doxorubicin delivery into brain induced by focused ultrasound,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 162, no. 1, pp. 134–142, 2012.
- P. S. Tofts and A. G. Kermode, “Measurement of the blood-brain barrier permeability and leakage space using dynamic MR imaging. 1. Fundamental concepts,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 357–367, 1991.
- F. Vlachos, Y. S. Tung, and E. Konofagou, “Permeability dependence study of the focused ultrasound-induced blood-brain barrier opening at distinct pressures and microbubble diameters using DCE-MRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 66, no. 3, pp. 821–830, 2011.
- I. M. Noebauer-Huhmann, P. Szomolanyi, V. Juras, O. Kraff, M. E. Ladd, and S. Trattnig, “Gadolinium-based magnetic resonance contrast agents at 7 tesla: in vitro T1 relaxivities in human blood plasma,” Investigative Radiology, vol. 45, no. 9, pp. 554–558, 2010.
- E. A. Neuwelt, P. A. Barnett, C. I. McCormick, L. G. Remsen, R. A. Kroll, and G. Sexton, “Differential permeability of a human brain tumor xenograft in the nude rat: impact of tumor size and method of administration on optimizing delivery of biologically diverse agents,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 1549–1555, 1998.
- H. Sarin, A. S. Kanevsky, H. Wu et al., “Effective transvascular delivery of nanoparticles across the blood-brain tumor barrier into malignant glioma cells,” Journal of Translational Medicine, vol. 6, article 80, 2008.
- A. R. Padhani and J. E. Husband, “Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI studies in oncology with an emphasis on quantification, validation and human studies,” Clinical Radiology, vol. 56, no. 8, pp. 607–620, 2001.
- P. S. Tofts, G. Brix, D. L. Buckley et al., “Estimating kinetic parameters from dynamic contrast-enhanced T(1)-weighted MRI of a diffusable tracer: standardized quantities and symbols,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 223–232, 1999.
- H. Olsson, C. Halldin, C. G. Swahn, and L. Farde, “Quantification of [11C]FLB 457 binding to extrastriatal dopamine receptors in the human brain,” Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 10, pp. 1164–1173, 1999.
- K. W. Kang, D. S. Lee, J. H. Cho et al., “Quantification of F-18 FDG PET images in temporal lobe epilepsy patients using probabilistic brain atlas,” NeuroImage, vol. 14, no. 1, part 1, pp. 1–6, 2001.
- S. L. Bacharach, S. K. Libutti, and J. A. Carrasquillo, “Measuring tumor blood flow with H2: practical considerations,” Nuclear Medicine and Biology, vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 671–676, 2000.
- M. S. Alavijeh and A. M. Palmer, “Measurement of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of neuroactive compounds,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 38–47, 2010.
- H. F. Dvorak, L. F. Brown, M. Detmar, and A. M. Dvorak, “Vascular permeability factor/vascular endothelial growth factor, microvascular hyperpermeability, and angiogenesis,” The American Journal of Pathology, vol. 146, no. 5, pp. 1029–1039, 1995.
- L. E. Benjamin, D. Golijanin, A. Itin, D. Pode, and E. Keshet, “Selective ablation of immature blood vessels in established human tumors follows vascular endothelial growth factor withdrawal,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 103, no. 2, pp. 159–165, 1999.
- J. S. Taylor, P. S. Tofts, R. Port et al., “MR imaging of tumor microcirculation: promise for the new millennium,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 903–907, 1999.
- L. F. Brown, K. T. Yeo, B. Berse et al., “Expression of vascular permeability factor (vascular endothelial growth factor) by epidermal keratinocytes during wound healing,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 176, no. 5, pp. 1375–1379, 1992.
- M. A. O'Reilly, A. Muller, and K. Hynynen, “Ultrasound insertion loss of rat parietal bone appears to be proportional to animal mass at submegahertz frequencies,” Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology, vol. 37, no. 11, pp. 1930–1937, 2011.
- M. A. O'Reilly, Y. Huang, and K. Hynynen, “The impact of standing wave effects on transcranial focused ultrasound disruption of the blood-brain barrier in a rat model,” Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol. 55, no. 18, pp. 5251–5267, 2010.