- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 627907, 9 pages
Modulation of the Rat Hepatic Cytochrome P4501A Subfamily Using Biotin Supplementation
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomédicas, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Apdo. Postal 70228, 04510 México, DF, Mexico
Received 14 April 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editor: Anastasia Kotanidou
Copyright © 2013 M. D. Ronquillo-Sánchez et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Dakshinamurti, “Biotin—a regulator of gene expression,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 16, no. 7, pp. 419–423, 2005.
- J. Zempleni, “Uptake, localization, and noncarboxylase roles of biotin,” Annual Review of Nutrition, vol. 25, pp. 175–196, 2005.
- R. Rodriguez-Melendez and J. Zempleni, “Regulation of gene expression by biotin (review),” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 680–690, 2003.
- S. Wiedmann, J. D. Eudy, and J. Zempleni, “Biotin supplementation increases expression of genes encoding interferon-γ, interleukin-1β, and 3-methylcrotonyl-CoA carboxylase, and decreases expression of the gene encoding interleukin-4 in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 133, no. 3, pp. 716–719, 2003.
- S. Wiedmann, R. Rodriguez-Melendez, D. Ortega-Cuellar, and J. Zempleni, “Clusters of biotin-responsive genes in human peripheral blood mononuclear cells,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 433–439, 2004.
- C. Fernández-Mejía, “A new panorama for understanding the molecular connections between obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Revista de Investigacion Clinica, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 209–211, 2001.
- R. Rodriguez-Melendez, J. B. Griffin, J. Zempleni, and G. Sarath, “High-throughput immunoblotting identifies biotin-dependent signaling proteins in HepG2 hepatocarcinoma cells,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 135, no. 7, pp. 1659–1666, 2005.
- J. Chauhan and K. Dakshinamurti, “Transcriptional regulation of the glucokinase gene by biotin in starved rats,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 266, no. 16, pp. 10035–10038, 1991.
- L. A. de la Vega and R. J. Stockert, “Regulation of the insulin and asialoglycoprotein receptors via cGMP-dependent protein kinase,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 279, no. 6, pp. C2037–C2042, 2000.
- K. Dakshinamurti and W. Li, “Transcriptional regulation of liver phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase by biotin in diabetic rats,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 132, no. 2, pp. 127–132, 1994.
- A. Vilches-Flores, A. R. Tovar, A. Marin-Hernandez, A. Rojas-Ochoa, and C. Fernandez-Mejia, “Biotin increases glucokinase expression via soluble guanylate cyclase/protein kinase G, adenosine triphosphate production and autocrine action of insulin in pancreatic rat islets,” The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 606–612, 2010.
- G. Romero-Navarro, G. Cabrera-Valladares, M. S. German et al., “Biotin regulation of pancreatic glucokinase and insulin in primary cultured rat islets and in biotin-deficient rats,” Endocrinology, vol. 140, no. 10, pp. 4595–4600, 1999.
- Y. Sugita, H. Shirakawa, R. Sugimoto, Y. Furukawa, and M. Komai, “Effect of biotin treatment on hepatic gene expression in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats,” Bioscience, Biotechnology and Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 5, pp. 1290–1298, 2008.
- E. Larrieta, F. Velasco, P. Vital et al., “Pharmacological concentrations of biotin reduce serum triglycerides and the expression of lipogenic genes,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 644, no. 1–3, pp. 263–268, 2010.
- J. C. Coggeshall, J. P. Heggers, M. C. Robson, et al., “Biotin status and plasma glucose in diabetics,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 447, pp. 389–392, 1985.
- M. Maebashi, Y. Makino, Y. Furukawa, et al., “Therapeutic evaluation of the effect of biotin on hyperglycemia in patients with non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus,” Journal of Clinical Biochemistry and Nutrition, vol. 14, pp. 211–218, 1993.
- D. Koutsikos, C. Fourtounas, A. Kapetanaki et al., “Oral glucose tolerance test after high-dose i.v. biotin administration in normoglucemic hemodialysis patients,” Renal Failure, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 131–137, 1996.
- O. K. Dokusova and I. V. Krivoruchenko, “The effect of biotin on the level of cholesterol in the blood of patients with atherosclerosis and essential hyperlipidemia,” Kardiologiya, vol. 12, no. 12, p. 113, 1972.
- C. Revilla-Monsalve, I. Zendejas-Ruiz, S. Islas-Andrade et al., “Biotin supplementation reduces plasma triacylglycerol and VLDL in type 2 diabetic patients and in nondiabetic subjects with hypertriglyceridemia,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 60, no. 4, pp. 182–185, 2006.
- C. Albarracin, B. Fuqua, J. Geohas, et al., “Improvement in glycemic control, lipids and insulin sensitivity with the combination of chromium picolinate and biotin in type 2 diabetes mellitus,” Diabetes Care, vol. 54, pp. 428–433, 2005.
- G. M. Singer and J. Geohas, “The effect of chromium picolinate and biotin supplementation on glycemic control in poorly controlled patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a placebo-controlled, double-blinded, randomized trial,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 636–643, 2006.
- M. Z. Fiume, “Final report on the safety assessment of biotin,” International Journal of Toxicology, vol. 20, supplement 4, pp. 1–12, 2001.
- S. Hayes, A. Gordon, I. Sadowski, and C. Hayes, “RK bacterial test for independently measuring chemical toxicity and mutagenicity: short-term forward selection assay,” Mutation Research, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 97–106, 1984.
- T. H. Ma, M. M. Harris, and V. A. Anderson, “Tradescantia-micronucleus (Trad-MCN) tests on 140 health-related agents,” Mutation Research, vol. 138, no. 2-3, pp. 157–167, 1984.
- SRI-International, “Microbial mutagenesis testing of substances compound report:F76-041, D-Biotin,” Tech. Rep. PB89-169072, National Technical Information Service, 1979.
- R. Rodriguez-Melendez, J. B. Griffin, and J. Zempleni, “Biotin supplementation increases expression of the cytochrome P450 1B1 gene in Jurkat cells, increasing the occurrence of single-stranded DNA breaks,” Journal of Nutrition, vol. 134, no. 9, pp. 2222–2228, 2004.
- Y. Fujii-Kuriyama and K. Kawajiri, “Molecular mechanisms of the physiological functions of the aryl hydrocarbon (dioxin) receptor, a multifunctional regulator that senses and responds to environmental stimuli,” Proceedings of the Japan Academy B, vol. 86, no. 1, pp. 40–53, 2010.
- D. W. Nebert, “The Ah locus: genetic differences in toxicity, cancer, mutation, and birth defects,” Critical Reviews in Toxicology, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 153–174, 1989.
- S. Rendic, “Summary of information on human CYP enzymes: human P450 metabolism data,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, vol. 34, no. 1-2, pp. 83–448, 2002.
- D. M. Maron and B. N. Ames, “Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test,” Mutation Research, vol. 113, no. 3-4, pp. 173–215, 1983.
- M. M. Bradford, “A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 72, no. 1-2, pp. 248–254, 1976.
- K. J. Livak and T. D. Schmittgen, “Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) method,” Methods, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 402–408, 2001.
- M. D. Burke, S. Thompson, R. J. Weaver, C. R. Wolf, and R. T. Mayer, “Cytochrome P450 specificities of alkoxyresorufin O-dealkylation in human and rat liver,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 923–936, 1994.
- H. Towbin, T. Staehelin, and J. Gordon, “Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 76, no. 9, pp. 4350–4354, 1979.
- F. P. Guengerich, P. Wang, and N. K. Davidson, “Estimation of isozymes of microsomal cytochrome P-450 in rats, rabbits, and humans using immunochemical staining coupled with sodium dodecyl sulfate-polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis,” Biochemistry, vol. 21, no. 7, pp. 1698–1706, 1982.
- K. Dakshinamurti, L. Tarrago-Litvak, and H. C. Hong, “Biotin and glucose metabolism,” Canadian Journal of Biochemistry, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 493–500, 1970.
- S. F. Zhou, B. Wang, L. P. Yang, and J. P. Liu, “Structure, function, regulation and polymorphism and the clinical significance of human cytochrome P450 1A2,” Drug Metabolism Reviews, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 268–354, 2010.
- M. T. Granfors, J. T. Backman, M. Neuvonen, and P. J. Neuvonen, “Ciprofloxacin greatly increases concentrations and hypotensive effect of tizanidine by inhibiting its cytochrome P450 1A2-mediated presystemic metabolism,” Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, vol. 76, no. 6, pp. 598–606, 2004.
- Z. Hu, X. Yang, P. C. L. Ho et al., “Herb-drug interactions: a literature review,” Drugs, vol. 65, no. 9, pp. 1239–1282, 2005.
- B. D. Jeffy, R. B. Chirnomas, and D. F. Romagnolo, “Epigenetics of breast cancer: polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons as risk factors,” Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, vol. 39, no. 2-3, pp. 235–244, 2002.
- M. Shou, K. W. Krausz, F. J. Gonzalez, and H. V. Gelboin, “Metabolic activation of the potent carcinogen dibenzo[a,l]pyrene by human recombinant cytochromes P450, lung and liver microsomes,” Carcinogenesis, vol. 17, no. 11, pp. 2429–2433, 1996.
- L. Cancino-Badías, R. E. Reyes, R. Nosti et al., “Modulation of rat liver cytochrome P450 by protein restriction assessed by biochemical and bacterial mutagenicity methods,” Mutagenesis, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 95–100, 2003.
- A. Aguilera-Méndez and C. Fernández-Mejía, “The hypotriglyceridemic effect of biotin supplementation involves increased levels of cGMP and AMPK activation,” Biofactors, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 387–395, 2012.
- N. Rodríguez-Fuentes, I. López-Rosas, G. Román-Cisneros, and A. Velázquez-Arellano, “Biotin deficiency affects both synthesis and degradation of pyruvate carboxylase in rat primary hepatocyte cultures,” Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 222–228, 2007.
- K. Chen and N. Rajewsky, “The evolution of gene regulation by transcription factors and microRNAs,” Nature Reviews Genetics, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 93–103, 2007.
- A. Eulalio, I. Behm-Ansmant, and E. Izaurralde, “P bodies: at the crossroads of post-transcriptional pathways,” Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 9–22, 2007.
- S. P. Chan and F. J. Slack, “microRNA-mediated silencing inside P-bodies,” RNA Biology, vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 97–100, 2006.
- Y. Z. Pan, W. Gao, and A. M. Yu, “MicroRNAs regulate CYP3A4 expression via direct and indirect targeting,” Drug Metabolism and Disposition, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 2112–2117, 2009.
- Y. Tsuchiya, M. Nakajima, S. Takagi, T. Taniya, and T. Yokoi, “MicroRNA regulates the expression of human cytochrome P450 1B1,” Cancer Research, vol. 66, no. 18, pp. 9090–9098, 2006.
- T. Mohri, M. Nakajima, T. Fukami, M. Takamiya, Y. Aoki, and T. Yokoi, “Human CYP2E1 is regulated by miR-378,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 79, no. 7, pp. 1045–1052, 2010.