- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 635143, 8 pages
Protective Efficacy of N-(2-Hydroxyphenyl) Acetamide against Adjuvant-Induced Arthritis in Rats
1Dr. Panjwani Center for Molecular Medicine and Drug Research, International Center of Chemical and Biological Sciences,
University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
2H.E.J. Research Institute of Chemistry, International Center of Chemical and Biological Sciences, University of Karachi, Karachi 75270, Pakistan
Received 9 April 2013; Revised 14 June 2013; Accepted 27 June 2013
Academic Editor: Akio Hiura
Copyright © 2013 Kahkashan Perveen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. D. Harris Jr., “Rheumatoid arthritis. Pathophysiology and implications for therapy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 322, no. 18, pp. 1277–1289, 1990.
- M. Feldmann, F. M. Brennan, and R. N. Maini, “Role of cytokines in rheumatoid arthritis,” Annual Review of Immunology, vol. 14, pp. 397–440, 1996.
- V. Murunikkara, S. J. Pragasam, G. Kodandaraman, E. P. Sabina, and M. Rasool, “Anti-inflammatory effect of piperine in adjuvant-induced arthritic rats: a biochemical approach,” Inflammation, vol. 35, no. 4, pp. 1348–1356, 2012.
- A. E. Koch, “Angiogenesis: implications for rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 951–962, 1998.
- J. Folkman, “Angiogenesis in cancer, vascular, rheumatoid and other disease,” Nature Medicine, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 27–31, 1995.
- U. Feige, Y.-L. Hu, J. Gasser, G. Campagnuolo, L. Munyakazi, and B. Bolon, “Anti-interleukin-1 and anti-tumor necrosis factor-α synergistically inhibit adjuvant arthritis in lewis rats,” Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 1457–1470, 2000.
- W. B. Van den Berg, “Uncoupling of inflammatory and destructive mechanisms in arthritis,” Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 7–16, 2001.
- I. Rioja, K. A. Bush, J. B. Buckton, M. C. Dickson, and P. F. Life, “Joint cytokine quantification in two rodent arthritis models: kinetics of expression, correlation of mRNA and protein levels and response to prednisolone treatment,” Clinical and Experimental Immunology, vol. 137, no. 1, pp. 65–73, 2004.
- G. Campagnuolo, B. Bolon, and U. Feige, “Kinetics of bone protection by recombinant osteoprotegerin therapy in Lewis rats with adjuvant arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 46, no. 7, pp. 1926–1936, 2002.
- E. M. Gravallese, “Bone destruction in arthritis,” Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. ii84–ii86, 2002.
- M. Stolina, S. Adamu, M. Ominsky et al., “RANKL is a marker and mediator of local and systemic bone loss in two rat models of inflammatory arthritis,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 1756–1765, 2005.
- M. P. Hazenberg, I. S. Klasen, J. Kool, J. G. H. Ruseler-Van Embden, and A. J. Severijnen, “Are intestinal bacteria involved in the etiology of rheumatoid arthritis?” APMIS, vol. 100, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 1992.
- R. Roubenoff, R. A. Roubenoff, J. G. Cannon et al., “Rheumatoid cachexia: cytokine-driven hypermetabolism accompanying reduced body cell mass in chronic inflammation,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 93, no. 6, pp. 2379–2386, 1994.
- R. Roubenoff, L. M. Freeman, D. E. Smith, L. W. Abad, C. A. Dinarello, and J. J. Kehayias, “Adjuvant arthritis as a model of inflammatory cachexia,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 534–539, 1997.
- L. C. Rall and R. Roubenoff, “Body composition, metabolism, and resistance exercise in patients with rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Care and Research, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 151–156, 1996.
- E. H. S. Choy and G. S. Panayi, “Cytokine pathways and joint inflamation in rheumatoid arthritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 12, pp. 907–916, 2001.
- J. R. O'Dell, “Therapeutic strategies for rheumatoid arthritis,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 350, no. 25, pp. 2591–2630, 2004.
- G. S. Firestein, “Etiology and pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis,” in Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology, E. D. Harris Jr., R. C. Budd, M. C. Genovese, G. S. Firestein, J. S. Sargent, and C. B. Sledge, Eds., pp. 996–1042, Elsevier Saunders, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 2005.
- F. C. McDuffie, “Morbidity impact of rheumatoid arthritis on society,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 1–5, 1985.
- J. S. Smolen and G. Steiner, “Therapeutic strategies for rheumatoid arthritis,” Nature Reviews Drug Discovery, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 473–488, 2003.
- M. Zimmermann, “Ethical guidelines for investigations of experimental pain in conscious animals,” Pain, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 109–110, 1983.
- O. Bakharevski, A. N. Stein-Oakley, N. M. Thomson, and P. F. J. Ryan, “Collagen induced arthritis in rats. Contrasting effect of subcutaneous versus intradermal inoculation of type II collagen,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1945–1952, 1998.
- F. C. Colpaert, “Evidence that adjuvant arthritis in the rat is associated with chronic pain,” Pain, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 201–222, 1987.
- T. Nanayama, Y. Kuraishi, H. Ohno, and M. Satoh, “Capsaicin-induced release of calcitonin gene-related peptide from dorsal horn slices is enhanced in adjuvant arthritic rats,” Neuroscience Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 569–572, 1989.
- P. Honoré, P. M. Menning, S. D. Rogers et al., “Spinal substance P receptor expression and internalization in acute, short-term, and long-term inflammatory pain states,” Journal of Neuroscience, vol. 19, no. 17, pp. 7670–7678, 1999.
- K. Ren and R. Dubner, “Inflammatory models of pain and hyperalgesia,” ILAR Journal, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 111–118, 1999.
- H.-G. Schaible, M. Schmelz, and I. Tegeder, “Pathophysiology and treatment of pain in joint disease,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 323–342, 2006.
- P. Bajaj, P. Bajaj, T. Graven-Nielsen, and L. Arendt-Nielsen, “Osteoarthritis and its association with muscle hyperalgesia: an experimental controlled study,” Pain, vol. 93, no. 2, pp. 107–114, 2001.
- C. J. Woolf and M. W. Salter, “Neuronal plasticity: increasing the gain in pain,” Science, vol. 288, no. 5472, pp. 1765–1768, 2000.
- H.-G. Schaible and B. D. Grubb, “Afferent and spinal mechanisms of joint pain,” Pain, vol. 55, no. 1, pp. 5–54, 1993.
- R. W. Kinne, R. Bräuer, B. Stuhlmüller, E. Palombo-Kinne, and G.-R. Burmester, “Macrophages in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 189–202, 2000.
- J. Keffer, L. Probert, H. Cazlaris et al., “Transgenic mice expressing human tumour necrosis factor: a predictive genetic model of arthritis,” EMBO Journal, vol. 10, no. 13, pp. 4025–4031, 1991.
- C. O. Bingham III, “The pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis: pivotal cytokines involved in bone degradation and imflammation,” Journal of Rheumatology, vol. 29, supplement 65, pp. 3–9, 2002.
- C. Rommel, M. Camps, and H. Ji, “PI3Kδ and PI3Kγ: partners in crime in inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis and beyond?” Nature Reviews Immunology, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 191–201, 2007.
- L. C. Huber, O. Distler, I. Tarner, R. E. Gay, S. Gay, and T. Pap, “Synovial fibroblasts: key players in rheumatoid arthritis,” Rheumatology, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 669–675, 2006.
- G. S. Panayi, J. S. Lanchbury, and G. H. Kingsley, “The importance of the T cell in initiating and maintaining the chronic synovitis of rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis and Rheumatism, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 729–735, 1992.
- Z. Szekanecz, A. E. Koch, S. L. Kunkel, and R. M. Strieter, “Cytokines in rheumatoid arthritis. Potential targets for pharmacological intervention,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 377–390, 1998.
- E. M. Gravallese and S. R. Goldring, “Cellular mechanism and the role of cytokines in bone erosions in rheumatoid arthritis,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 43, pp. 2143–2151, 2000.
- A. Y. Fan, L. Lao, R. X. Zhang et al., “Effects of an acetone extract of Boswellia carterii Birdw. (Burseraceae) gum resin on adjuvant-induced arthritis in lewis rats,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 101, no. 1–3, pp. 104–109, 2005.
- X. Cai, H. Zhou, Y. F. Wong et al., “Suppression of the onset and progression of collagen-induced arthritis in rats by QFGJS, a preparation from an anti-arthritic Chinese herbal formula,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 39–48, 2007.
- L. J. Crofford, R. L. Wilder, A. P. Ristimaki et al., “Cyclooxygenase-1 and -2 expression in rheumatoid synovial tissues. Effects of interleukin-1β, phorbol ester, and corticosteroids,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 93, no. 3, pp. 1095–1101, 1994.
- G. D. Anderson, S. D. Hauser, K. L. McGarity, M. E. Bremer, P. C. Isakson, and S. A. Gregory, “Selective inhibition of cyclooxygenase (COX)-2 reverses inflammation and expression of COX-2 and interleukin 6 in rat adjuvant arthritis,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 97, no. 11, pp. 2672–2679, 1996.
- J. P. Portanova, Y. Zhang, G. D. Anderson et al., “Selective neutralization of prostaglandin E2 blocks inflammation, hyperalgesia, and interleukin 6 production in vivo,” Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 184, no. 3, pp. 883–891, 1996.