- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 638348, 8 pages
Titanium Surface Coating with a Laminin-Derived Functional Peptide Promotes Bone Cell Adhesion
1Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, School of Dentistry, Seoul National University, Seoul 110-749, Republic of Korea
2Department of Oral Biochemistry, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, Seoul 110-749, Republic of Korea
3Department of Prosthodontics, School of Dentistry and Dental Research Institute, Seoul National University, Seoul 110-749, Republic of Korea
Received 7 November 2012; Revised 4 March 2013; Accepted 4 March 2013
Academic Editor: Willy Zorzi
Copyright © 2013 Seung-Ki Min et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- Z. Berke, S. Palmer, T. Bergman et al., “A short peptide eluted from the H-2Kb molecule of a polyomavirus-positive tumor corresponds to polyomavirus large T antigen peptide at amino acids 578 to 585 and induces polyomavirus-specific immunity,” Journal of Virology, vol. 70, no. 5, pp. 3093–3097, 1996.
- S. Y. Jung, J. M. Kim, H. K. Kang, D. H. Jang, and B. M. Min, “A biologically active sequence of the laminin α2 large globular 1 domain promotes cell adhesion through syndecan-1 by inducing phosphorylation and membrane localization of protein kinase Cδ,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 284, no. 46, pp. 31764–31775, 2009.
- M. Nomizu, S. Y. Song, Y. Kuratomi et al., “Active peptides from the carboxyl-terminal globular domain of laminin α2 and Drosophila α chains,” FEBS Letters, vol. 396, no. 1, pp. 37–42, 1996.
- N. Suzuki, F. Yokoyama, and M. Nomizu, “Functional sites in the laminin alpha chains,” Connective Tissue Research, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 142–152, 2005.
- R. Vuolteenaho, M. Nissinen, K. Sainio et al., “Human laminin M chain (merosin): complete primary structure, chromosomal assignment, and expression of the M and A chain in human fetal tissues,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 124, no. 3, pp. 381–394, 1994.
- T. Albrektsson and A. Wennerberg, “Oral implant surfaces: part 1-review focusing on topographic and chemical properties of different surfaces and in vivo responses to them,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 536–543, 2004.
- L. F. Cooper, “A role for surface topography in creating and maintaining bone at titanium endosseous implants,” Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, vol. 84, no. 5, pp. 522–534, 2000.
- J. E. Ellingsen, “Surface configurations of dental implants,” Periodontology 2000, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 36–46, 1998.
- A. Wennerberg and T. Albrektsson, “On implant surfaces: a review of current knowledge and opinions,” The International Journal of Oral & Maxillofacial Implants, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 63–74, 2010.
- I. C. Mackenzie and M. S. Tonetti, “Formation of normal gingival epithelial phenotypes around osseo-integrated oral implants in humans,” Journal of Periodontology, vol. 66, no. 11, pp. 933–943, 1995.
- S. Roessler, R. Born, D. Scharnweber, H. Worch, A. Sewing, and M. Dard, “Biomimetic coatings functionalized with adhesion peptides for dental implants,” Journal of Materials Science, vol. 12, no. 10–12, pp. 871–877, 2001.
- S. Werner, O. Huck, B. Frisch et al., “The effect of microstructured surfaces and laminin-derived peptide coatings on soft tissue interactions with titanium dental implants,” Biomaterials, vol. 30, no. 12, pp. 2291–2301, 2009.
- K. Bougas, R. Jimbo, S. Vandeweghe, et al., “Bone apposition to laminin-1 coated implants: histologic and 3D evaluation,” International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 2012.
- K. Bougas, R. Jimbo, S. Vandeweghe, et al., “In vivo evaluation of a novel implant coating agent: laminin-1,” Clinical Implant Dentistry and Related Research, 2013.
- K. Bougas, R. Jimbo, Y. Xue, K. Mustafa, and A. Wennerberg, “Novel implant coating agent promotes gene expression of osteogenic markers in rats during early osseointegration,” International Journal of Biomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 579274, 2012.
- H. O. Schwartz-Filho, K. Bougas, P. G. Coelho, et al., “The effect of laminin-1-doped nanoroughened implant surfaces: gene expression and morphological evaluation,” International Journal of Biomaterials, vol. 2012, Article ID 305638, 2012.
- J. W. Koh, J. H. Yang, J. S. Han, J. B. Lee, and S. H. Kim, “Biomechanical evaluation of dental implants with different surfaces: removal torque and resonance frequency analysis in rabbits,” The Journal of Advanced Prosthodontics, vol. 1, pp. 107–112, 2009.
- F. Rupp, L. Scheideier, N. Olshanska, M. De Wild, M. Wieland, and J. Geis-Gerstorfer, “Enhancing surface free energy and hydrophilicity through chemical modification of microstructured titanium implant surfaces,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 76, no. 2, pp. 323–334, 2006.
- J. Y. Choi, H. J. Lee, J. U. Jang, and I. S. Yeo, “Comparison between bioactive fluoride modified and bioinert anodically oxidized implant surfaces in early bone response using rabbit Tibia Model,” Implant Dentistry, vol. 21, pp. 124–128, 2012.
- D. M. Dohan Ehrenfest, L. Vazquez, Y. J. Park, G. Sammartino, and J. P. Bernard, “Identification card and codification of the chemical and morphological characteristics of 14 dental implant surfaces,” Journal of Oral Implantology, vol. 37, pp. 525–542, 2011.
- I. S. Yeo, J. S. Han, and J. H. Yang, “Biomechanical and histomorphometric study of dental implants with different surface characteristics,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research B, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 303–311, 2008.
- C. You, I. S. Yeo, M. D. Kim, T. K. Eom, J. Y. Lee, and S. Kim, “Characterization and in vivo evaluation of calcium phosphate coated cp-titanium by dip-spin method,” Current Applied Physics, vol. 5, no. 5, pp. 501–506, 2005.
- A. Wennerberg, T. Albrektsson, B. Andersson, and J. J. Krol, “A histomorphometric and removal torque study of screw-shaped titanium implants with three different surface topographies,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 24–30, 1995.
- A. Wennerberg, T. Albrektsson, and J. Lausmaa, “Torque and histomorphometric evaluation of c.p. titanium screws blasted with 25- and 75-microns-sized particles of Al2O3,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 30, pp. 251–260, 1996.
- A. Wennerberg, C. Hallgren, C. Johansson, and S. Danelli, “A histomorphometric evaluation of screw-shaped implants each prepared with two surface roughnesses,” Clinical Oral Implants Research, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 11–19, 1998.
- T. Albrektsson and A. Wennerberg, “Oral implant surfaces: part 2-review focusing on clinical knowledge of different surfaces,” International Journal of Prosthodontics, vol. 17, no. 5, pp. 544–564, 2004.
- O. Fromigué, Z. Hamidouche, S. Chateauvieux, P. Charbord, and P. J. Marie, “Distinct osteoblastic differentiation potential of murine fetal liver and bone marrow stroma-derived mesenchymal stem cells,” Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 620–628, 2008.
- H. K. Kang, S. Roh, G. Lee, S. D. Hong, H. Kang, and B. M. Min, “Osteogenic potential of embryonic stem cells in tooth sockets,” International Journal of Molecular Medicine, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 539–544, 2008.
- N. I. Zur Nieden, F. D. Price, L. A. Davis, R. E. Everitt, and D. E. Rancourt, “Gene profiling on mixed embryonic stem cell populations reveals a biphasic role for β-catenin in osteogenic differentiation,” Molecular Endocrinology, vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 674–685, 2007.
- K. Turksen, U. Bhargava, H. K. Moe, and J. E. Aubin, “Isolation of monoclonal antibodies recognizing rat bone-associated molecules in vitro and in vivo,” Journal of Histochemistry and Cytochemistry, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 1339–1352, 1992.