- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 640163, 6 pages
An Internalin A Probe-Based Genosensor for Listeria monocytogenes Detection and Differentiation
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Section of Microbiology, University of Cagliari, via Porcell 4, 09124 Cagliari, Italy
Received 19 December 2012; Revised 13 February 2013; Accepted 22 February 2013
Academic Editor: Dimitrios Karpouzas
Copyright © 2013 Laura Bifulco et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. G. Clark, J. Farber, F. Pagotto et al., “Surveillance for Listeria monocytogenes and listeriosis, 1995–2004,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 559–572, 2010.
- R. J. Meldrum, P. W. Ellis, P. T. Mannion, D. Halstead, and J. Garside, “Prevalence of Listeria monocytogenes in ready-to-eat foods sampled from the point of sale in wales, United Kingdom,” Journal of Food Protection, vol. 73, no. 8, pp. 1515–1518, 2010.
- D. Nucera, S. Lomonaco, D. M. Bianchi et al., “A five year surveillance report on PFGE types of Listeria monocytogenes isolated in Italy from food and food related environments,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 140, no. 2-3, pp. 271–276, 2010.
- L. O'Connor, M. O'Leary, N. Leonard et al., “The characterization of Listeria spp. isolated from food products and the food-processing environment,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 490–498, 2010.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks: United States, 2007,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 59, no. 31, pp. 973–979, 2010.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), “Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks—United States, 2006,” Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, vol. 58, pp. 609–615, 2006.
- A. di Pinto, L. Novelleo, F. Montemurro, E. Bonerba, and G. Tantillo, “Occurrence of Listeria monocytogenes in ready-to-eat foods from supermarkets in Southern Italy,” New Microbiologica, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 249–252, 2010.
- C. W. Donnelly, “Listeria monocytogenes: a continuing challenge,” Nutrition Reviews, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 183–194, 2001.
- J. Koch, R. Dworak, R. Prager et al., “Large listeriosis outbreak linked to cheese made from pasteurized milk, Germany, 2006-2007,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 7, no. 12, pp. 1581–1584, 2010.
- S. B. Barbuddhe and T. Chakraborty, “Listeria as an enteroinvasive gastrointestinal pathogen,” Current Topics in Microbiology and Immunology, vol. 337, no. 1, pp. 173–195, 2009.
- I. A. Gillespie, P. Mook, C. L. Little, K. Grant, and G. K. Adak, “Listeria monocytogenes infection in the over-60s in England between 2005 and 2008: a retrospective case-control study utilizing market research panel data,” Foodborne Pathogens and Disease, vol. 7, no. 11, pp. 1373–1379, 2010.
- H. Hof, “History and epidemiology of listeriosis,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 199–202, 2003.
- K. A. Jackson, M. Iwamoto, and D. Swerdlow, “Pregnancy-associated listeriosis,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 138, no. 10, pp. 1503–1509, 2010.
- J. McLauchlin, “Human listeriosis in Britain, 1967–85, a summary of 722 cases: 1. Listeriosis during pregnancy and in the newborn,” Epidemiology and Infection, vol. 104, no. 2, pp. 181–189, 1990.
- P. Mook, K. A. Grant, C. L. Little, G. Kafatos, and I. A. Gillespie, “Emergence of pregnancy-related listeriosis amongst ethnic minorities in England and Wales,” Eurosurveillance, vol. 15, no. 27, pp. 17–23, 2010.
- A. Ingianni, M. Floris, P. Palomba, M. A. Madeddu, M. Quartuccio, and R. Pompei, “Rapid detection of Listeria monocytogenes in foods, by a combination of PCR and DNA probe,” Molecular and Cellular Probes, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 275–280, 2001.
- R. H. Orsi, H. C. D. Bakker, and M. Wiedmann, “Listeria monocytogenes lineages: genomics, evolution, ecology, and phenotypic characteristics,” International Journal of Medical Microbiology, vol. 301, no. 2, pp. 79–96, 2011.
- A. J. Roberts, S. K. Williams, M. Wiedmann, and K. K. Nightingale, “Some Listeria monocytogenes outbreak strains demonstrate significantly reduced invasion, inlA transcript levels, and swarming motility in vitro,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 75, no. 17, pp. 5647–5658, 2009.
- W. D. Schubert, C. Urbanke, T. Ziehm et al., “Structure of internalin, a major invasion protein of Listeria monocytogenes, in complex with its human receptor E-cadherin,” Cell, vol. 111, no. 6, pp. 825–836, 2002.
- D. Elhanafi, V. Utta, and S. Kathariou, “Genetic characterization of plasmid-associated benzalkonium chloride resistance determinants in a Listeria monocytogenes train from the 1998-1999 outbreak,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 76, no. 24, pp. 8231–8238, 2010.
- C. Mammina, A. Aleo, C. Romani et al., “Characterization of Listeria monocytogenes isolates from human listeriosis cases in Italy,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 2925–2930, 2009.
- R. O. Azizoglu, J. Osborne, S. Wilson, and S. Kathariou, “Role of growth temperature in freeze-thaw tolerance of Listeria spp.,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 75, no. 16, pp. 5315–5320, 2009.
- P. P. Banada, S. Guo, B. Bayraktar et al., “Optical forward-scattering for detection of Listeria monocytogenes and other Listeria species,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 22, no. 8, pp. 1664–1671, 2007.
- P. Banerjee and A. K. Bhunia, “Cell-based biosensor for rapid screening of pathogens and toxins,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 26, pp. 99–106, 2010.
- T. Curtis, R. M. Z. G. Naal, C. Batt, J. Tabb, and D. Holowka, “Development of a mast cell-based biosensor,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 23, no. 7, pp. 1024–1031, 2008.
- V. Nanduri, A. K. Bhunia, S. I. Tu, G. C. Paoli, and J. D. Brewster, “SPR biosensor for the detection of L. monocytogenes using phage-displayed antibody,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 23, no. 2, pp. 248–252, 2007.
- E. Tully, S. P. Higson, and R. O'Kennedy, “The development of a “labeless” immunosensor for the detection of Listeria monocytogenes cell surface protein, Internalin B,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 906–912, 2008.
- F. Farabullini, F. Lucarelli, I. Palchetti, G. Marrazza, and M. Mascini, “Disposable electrochemical genosensor for the simultaneous analysis of different bacterial food contaminants,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 1544–1549, 2007.
- Y. Jin, X. Yao, Q. Liu, and J. Li, “Hairpin DNA probe based electrochemical biosensor using methylene blue as hybridization indicator,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 1126–1130, 2007.
- P. Kara, K. Kerman, D. Ozkan et al., “Electrochemical genosensor for the detection of interaction between methylene blue and DNA,” Electrochemistry Communications, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 705–709, 2002.
- K. Kerman, M. Kobayashi, and E. Tamiya, “Recent trends in electrochemical DNA biosensor technology,” Measurement Science and Technology, vol. 15, pp. R1–R11, 2004.
- F. Lucarelli, A. Kicela, I. Palchetti, G. Marrazza, and M. Mascini, “Electrochemical DNA biosensor for analysis of wastewater samples,” Bioelectrochemistry, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 113–118, 2002.
- F. Lucarelli, G. Marrazza, A. P. F. Turner, and M. Mascini, “Carbon and gold electrodes as electrochemical transducers for DNA hybridisation sensors,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 515–530, 2004.
- F. Lucarelli, S. Tombelli, M. Minunni, G. Marrazza, and M. Mascini, “Electrochemical and piezoelectric DNA biosensors for hybridisation detection,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 609, no. 2, pp. 139–159, 2008.
- B. Meric, K. Kerman, G. Marrazza, I. Palchetti, M. Mascini, and M. Ozsoz, “Disposable genosensor, a new tool for the detection of NOS-terminator, a genetic element present in GMOs,” Food Control, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 621–626, 2004.
- O. Pänke, A. Kirbs, and F. Lisdat, “Voltammetric detection of single base-pair mismatches and quantification of label-free target ssDNA using a competitive binding assay,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 22, no. 11, pp. 2656–2662, 2007.
- J. P. Tosar, K. Keel, and J. Laíz, “Two independent label-free detection methods in one electrochemical DNA sensor,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 3036–3042, 2009.
- J. J. Gooding, P. Erokhin, and D. B. Hibbert, “Parameters important in tuning the response of monolayer enzyme electrodes fabricated using self-assembled monolayers of alkanethiols,” Biosensors and Bioelectronics, vol. 15, no. 5-6, pp. 229–239, 2000.
- K. Kerman, D. Ozkan, P. Kara, B. Meric, J. J. Gooding, and M. Ozsoz, “Voltammetric determination of DNA hybridization using methylene blue and self-assembled alkanethiol monolayer on gold electrodes,” Analytica Chimica Acta, vol. 462, no. 1, pp. 39–47, 2002.
- B. Meric, K. Kerman, D. Ozkan et al., “Electrochemical DNA biosensor for the detection of TT and hepatitis B virus from PCR amplified real samples by using,” Talanta, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 837–846, 2002.
- D. Ozkan, P. Kara, K. Kerman et al., “DNA and PNA sensing on mercury and carbon electrodes by using methylene blue as an electrochemical label,” Bioelectrochemistry, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 119–126, 2002.
- W. Yang, J. J. Gooding, and D. B. Hibbert, “Characterisation of gold electrodes modified with self-assembled monolayers of L-cysteine for the adsorptive stripping analysis of copper,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, vol. 516, no. 1-2, pp. 10–16, 2001.