- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 640638, 4 pages
Cerebral Blood Flow Dynamics and Head-of-Bed Changes in the Setting of Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
1Department of Neurosurgery, University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, 200 Hawkins Drive, JCP 1616, Iowa City, IA 52242, USA
2Department of Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Hospital for Neuroscience, Philadelphia, PA, USA
3Department of Neurological Surgery, University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, VA, USA
Received 16 September 2013; Accepted 30 October 2013
Academic Editor: Steven J. Monteith
Copyright © 2013 David K. Kung et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. W. Wojner-Alexandrov, Z. Garami, O. Y. Chernyshev, and A. V. Alexandrov, “Heads down: flat positioning improves blood flow velocity in acute ischemic stroke,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 8, pp. 1354–1357, 2005.
- T. Kulik, Y. Kusano, S. Aronhime, A. L. Sandler, and H. R. Winn, “Regulation of cerebral vasculature in normal and ischemic brain,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 281–288, 2008.
- K. March, P. Mitchell, S. Grady, and R. Winn, “Effect of backrest position on intracranial and cerebral perfusion pressures,” The Journal of Neuroscience Nursing, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 375–381, 1990.
- T. Lovell, A. C. Marshall, C. E. Elwell, M. Smith, and J. C. Goldstone, “Changes in cerebral blood volume with changes in position in awake and anesthetized subjects,” Anesthesia and Analgesia, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 372–376, 2000.
- G. Lefthériotis, M. P. Preckel, L. Fizanne, J. Victor, J. M. Dupuis, and J. L. Saumet, “Effect of head-upright tilt on the dynamic of cerebral autoregulation,” Clinical Physiology, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 41–47, 1998.
- R. A. Asher, “The dangers of going to bed,” The British Medical Journal, vol. 2, no. 4536, p. 967, 1947.
- D. K. Dittmer and R. Teasell, “Complications of immobilization and bed rest—part 1: musculoskeletal and cardiovascular complications,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 39, pp. 1428–1432, 1435–1437, 1993.
- R. Teasell and D. K. Dittmer, “Complications of immobilization and bed rest—part 2: other complications,” Canadian Family Physician, vol. 39, pp. 1440–1445, 1993.
- M. B. Drakulovic, A. Torres, T. T. Bauer, J. M. Nicolas, S. Nogué, and M. Ferrer, “Supine body position as a risk factor for nosocomial pneumonia in mechanically ventilated patients: a randomised trial,” The Lancet, vol. 354, no. 9193, pp. 1851–1858, 1999.
- J. E. Deitrick, G. D. Whedon, and E. Shorr, “Effects of immobilization upon various metabolic and physiologic functions of normal men,” The American Journal of Medicine, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 3–36, 1948.
- J. A. Frontera, A. Fernandez, J. M. Schmidt et al., “Defining vasospasm after subarachnoid hemorrhage: what is the most clinically relevant definition?” Stroke, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 1963–1968, 2009.
- R. W. Stremel, V. A. Convertino, E. M. Bernauer, and J. E. Greenleaf, “Cardiorespiratory deconditioning with static and dynamic leg exercise during bed rest,” Journal of Applied Physiology, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 905–909, 1976.
- L. Svanberg, “Influence of posture on the lung volumes, ventilation and circulation in normals, a spirometric-bronchospirometric investigation,” Scandinavian Journal of Clinical & Laboratory Investigation, vol. 9, supplement 25, pp. 1–195, 1957.
- T. Elizabeth, J. Singarayar, J. Ellul, D. Barer, and M. Lye, “Arterial oxygen saturation and posture in acute stroke,” Age and Ageing, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 269–272, 1993.
- E. D. O'Connor and J. Walsham, “Should we mobilise critically ill patients? A review,” Critical Care and Resuscitation, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 290–300, 2009.
- M. T. Torbey, T.-K. Hauser, A. Bhardwaj et al., “Effect of age on cerebral blood flow velocity and incidence of vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 9, pp. 2005–2011, 2001.
- C. Charpentier, G. Audibert, F. Guillemin et al., “Multivariate analysis of predictors of cerebral vasospasm occurrence after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage,” Stroke, vol. 30, no. 7, pp. 1402–1408, 1999.
- Y. Zhang and A. A. Rabinstein, “Lower head of the bed position does not change blood flow velocity in subarachnoid hemorrhage,” Neurocritical Care, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 73–76, 2011.
- P. A. Blissitt, P. H. Mitchell, D. W. Newell, S. L. Woods, and B. Belza, “Cerebrovascular dynamics with head-of-bed elevation in patients with mild or moderate vasospasm after aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage,” American Journal of Critical Care, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 206–216, 2006.