- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 641515, 7 pages
Impact of Genetic Variants of Apolipoprotein E on Lipid Profile in Patients with Parkinson's Disease
1Department of Molecular Biology, Sao Jose do Rio Preto Medical School (FAMERP), 15090000 Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
2Sao Jose do Rio Preto Medical School (FAMERP), Center of Research in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, NPBIM, Avenida Brigadeiro Faria Lima 5416, Vila Sao Pedro, 15090000 Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
3Federal University of São Paulo (UNIFESP), 04021001 São Paulo, SP, Brazil
4Hospital de Base, 15090000 Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
5Sao Jose do Rio Preto Medical School (FAMERP), 15090000 Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
6Department of Neuroscience/Molecular Biology, Sao Jose do Rio Preto Medical School (FAMERP), 15090000 Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
7Department of Molecular Biology, Sao Jose do Rio Preto Medical School—FAMERP, 15090000 Sao Jose do Rio Preto, SP, Brazil
Received 12 April 2013; Revised 7 August 2013; Accepted 19 August 2013
Academic Editor: Patrick Kehoe
Copyright © 2013 Michele L. Gregório et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Federoff, B. Jimenez-Rolando, M. A. Nalls, and A. B. Singleton, “A large study reveals no association between APOE and Parkinson's disease,” Neurobiology of Disease, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 389–392, 2012.
- J. Jankovic, “Parkinson's disease: clinical features and diagnosis,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 368–376, 2008.
- J. M. Shulman, P. L. de Jager, and M. B. Feany, “Parkinson's disease: genetics and pathogenesis,” Annual Review of Pathology, vol. 6, pp. 193–222, 2011.
- T. Alberio, E. M. Bucci, M. Natale, et al., “Parkinson's disease plasma biomarkers: an automated literature analysis followed by experimental validation,” Journal of Proteomics, vol. 4, no. 13, pp. S1874–S3919, 2013.
- “DATASUS—sistema Único de saúde 2010,” 2010, http://portal.saude.gov.br/portal/arquivos/pdf/pcdt_doenca_parkinson_livro_2010.pdf.
- H. Ischiropoulos and J. S. Beckman, “Oxidative stress and nitration in neurodegeneration: cause, effect, or association?” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 111, no. 2, pp. 163–169, 2003.
- M. M. G. Pimentel, K. C. Moura, C. B. Abdalla, et al., “A study of LRRK2 mutations and Parkinson's disease in Brazil,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 443, no. 1, pp. 17–21, 2008.
- M. Maral Mouradian, “Recent advances in the genetics and pathogenesis of Parkinson disease,” Neurology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 179–185, 2002.
- J. Davignon, R. E. Gregg, and C. F. Sing, “Apolipoprotein E polymorphism and atherosclerosis,” Arteriosclerosis, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 1–21, 1988.
- R. M. Corbo and R. Scacchp, “Apolipoprotein E (APOE) allele distribution in the world. Is APOE*4 a ‘thrifty’ allele?” Annals of Human Genetics, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 301–310, 1999.
- U. Beisiegel, W. Weber, G. Ihrke, J. Herz, and K. K. Stanley, “The LDL-receptor-related protein, LRP, is an apolipoprotein E-binding protein,” Nature, vol. 341, no. 6238, pp. 162–164, 1989.
- A. M. Bennet, E. di Angelantonio, Z. Ye et al., “Association of apolipoprotein e genotypes with lipid levels and coronary risk,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 298, no. 11, pp. 1300–1311, 2007.
- D. R. S. Souza, M. R. de Godoy, J. Hotta et al., “Association of apolipoprotein E polymorphism in late-onset Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia in Brazilians,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 36, no. 7, pp. 919–923, 2003.
- M. A. S. Pinhel, M. A. Nakazone, J. C. Cação et al., “Glutathione S-transferase variants increase susceptibility for late-onset Alzheimer's disease: association study and relationship with apolipoprotein E ε4 allele,” Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 439–445, 2008.
- Y. J. Li, M. A. Hauser, W. K. Scott et al., “Apolipoprotein E controls the risk and age at onset of Parkinson disease,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 11, pp. 2005–2009, 2004.
- T. Pulkes, C. Papsing, S. Mahasirimongkol, M. Busabaratana, K. Kulkantrakorn, and S. Tiamkao, “Association between apolipoprotein E genotypes and Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1333–1335, 2011.
- M. Smit, E. van der Kooij-Meijs, R. R. Frantz, L. Havekes, and E. C. Klasen, “Apolipoprotein gene cluster on chromosome 19. Definite localization of the APOC2 gene and the polymorphic Hpa I site associated with type III hyperlipoproteinemia,” Human Genetics, vol. 78, no. 1, pp. 90–93, 1988.
- X. Huang, P. C. Chen, and C. Poole, “APOE-ε2 allele associated with higher pevalence of sporadic Parkinson disease,” Neurology, vol. 62, no. 12, pp. 2198–2202, 2004.
- R. W. Mahley and S. C. Rall Jr., “Apolipoprotein E: far more than a lipid transport protein,” Annual Review of Genomics and Human Genetics, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 507–537, 2000.
- The French Parkinson's Disease Genetics Study Group, “Apolipoprotein E genotype in familial Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 394–395, 1997.
- B. S. Harhangi, M. C. de Rijk, C. M. van Duijn, C. van Broeckhoven, A. Hofman, and M. M. B. Breteler, “APOE and the risk of PD with or without dementia in a population-based study,” Neurology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 1272–1276, 2000.
- H. Arai, T. Maramatsu, S. Higuchi, H. Sasaki, and J. Q. Trojanowski, “Apolipoprotein E gene in Parkinson's disease with or without dementia,” The Lancet, vol. 344, no. 8926, p. 889, 1994.
- X. Huang, P. Chen, D. I. Kaufer, A. I. Tröster, and C. Poole, “Apolipoprotein E and dementia in Parkinson disease: a meta-analysis,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 63, no. 2, pp. 189–193, 2006.
- K. R. Bales, J. C. Dodart, R. B. DeMattos, D. M. Holtzman, and S. M. Paul, “Apolipoprotein E, amyloid, and Alzheimer disease,” Molecular Interventions, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 363–339, 2002.
- J. Dallongeville, S. Lussier-Cacan, and J. Davignon, “Modulation of plasma triglyceride levels by apoE phenotype: a meta- analysis,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 33, no. 4, pp. 447–454, 1992.
- D. D. Buchanan, P. A. Silburn, J. A. Prince, and G. D. Mellick, “Association of APOE with Parkinson disease age-at-onset in women,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 411, no. 3, pp. 185–188, 2007.
- M. Ezquerra, J. Campdelacreu, C. Gaig et al., “Lack of association of APOE and tau polymorphisms with dementia in Parkinson's disease,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 448, no. 1, pp. 20–23, 2008.
- M. P. Gallegos-Arreola, L. E. Figuera, G. G. Ortiz et al., “Apolipoprotein e genotypes in Mexican patients with Parkinson's disease,” Disease Markers, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 225–230, 2009.
- M. W. Kurz, G. Dekomien, O. B. Nilsen, J. P. Larsen, D. Aarsland, and G. Alves, “APOE alleles in parkinson disease and their relationship to cognitive decline: a population-based, longitudinal study,” Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 166–170, 2009.
- M. López, J. Guerrero, P. Yescas et al., “Apolipoprotein E ε4 allele is associated with Parkinson disease risk in a Mexican Mestizo population,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 417–420, 2007.
- M. Martinez, A. Brice, J. R. Vaughan et al., “Apolipoprotein E4 is probably responsible for the chromosome 19 linkage peak for Parkinson's disease,” American Journal of Medical Genetics B, vol. 136, no. 1, pp. 72–74, 2005.
- N. Pankratz, L. Byder, C. Halter et al., “Presence of an APOE4 allele results in significantly earlier onset of Parkinson's disease and a higher risk with dementia,” Movement Disorders, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 45–49, 2006.
- H. G. Ryu and O. D. Kwon, “Apolipoprotein E epsilon 4 allele is not associated with age at onset or MMSE of Parkinson's disease in a Korean study,” Parkinsonism and Related Disorders, vol. 16, no. 9, pp. 615–617, 2010.
- H. Vefring, K. Haugarvoll, O.-B. Tysnes, J. P. Larsen, and M. W. Kurz, “The role of APOE alleles in incident Parkinson's disease. The Norwegian ParkWest Study,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 122, no. 6, pp. 438–441, 2010.
- G. Hu, R. Antikainen, P. Jousilahti, M. Kivipelto, and J. Tuomilehto, “Total cholesterol and the risk of Parkinson disease,” Neurology, vol. 70, no. 21, pp. 1972–1979, 2008.
- M. Sohmiya, M. Tanaka, N. Wei Tak et al., “Redox status of plasma coenzyme Q10 indicates elevated systemic oxidative stress in Parkinson's disease,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 223, no. 2, pp. 161–166, 2004.
- X. Huang, H. Chen, W. C. Miller, et al., “Lower Low density lipid cholesterol levels are associated with Parkinson's disease,” Movement Disorders, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 377–381, 2007.
- L. M. L. de Lau, P. J. Koudstaal, A. Hofman, and M. M. B. Breteler, “Serum cholesterol levels and the risk of Parkinson's disease,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 164, no. 10, pp. 998–1002, 2006.
- K. C. Simon, H. Chen, M. Schwarzschild, and A. Ascherio, “Hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, diabetes, and risk of Parkinson disease,” Neurology, vol. 69, no. 17, pp. 1688–1695, 2007.
- S. D. J. Pena, L. Bastos-Rodrigues, J. R. Pimenta, and S. P. Bydlowski, “DNA tests probe the genomic ancestry of Brazilians,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 870–876, 2009.
- L. A. Salazar, M. H. Hirata, S. A. Cavalli, M. O. Machado, and R. D. C. Hirata, “Optimized procedure for DNA isolation from fresh and cryopreserved clotted human blood useful in clinical molecular testing,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 44, no. 8 I, pp. 1748–1750, 1998.
- J. E. Hixson and D. T. Vernier, “Restriction isotyping of human apolipoprotein E by gene amplification and cleavage with HhaI,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 545–548, 1990.
- C. H. Williams-Gray, A. Goris, M. Saiki et al., “Apolipoprotein e genotype as a risk factor for susceptibility to and dementia in Parkinson's disease,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 256, no. 3, pp. 493–498, 2009.
- J. E. Eichner, S. T. Dunn, G. Perveen, D. M. Thompson, K. E. Stewart, and B. C. Stroehla, “Apolipoprotein E polymorphism and cardiovascular disease: a HuGE review,” American Journal of Epidemiology, vol. 155, no. 6, pp. 487–495, 2002.
- M. Jacquier, D. Arango, E. Villareal et al., “APOE ε4 and Alzheimer's disease: positive association in a Colombian clinical series and review of the Latin-American studies,” Arquivos de Neuro-Psiquiatria, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 11–17, 2001.
- Z. Hawi, K. Sheehan, A. Lynch et al., “Late onset Alzheimer's disease and apolipoprotein association in the Irish population: relative risk and attributable fraction,” Irish Journal of Medical Science, vol. 172, no. 2, pp. 74–76, 2003.
- R. Monastero, E. Mariani, C. Camarda et al., “Association between apolipoprotein E ε4 allele and apathy in probable Alzheimer's disease,” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 59–63, 2006.
- C. N. Ferreira, M. G. Carvalho, A. P. S. M. Fernandes et al., “Comparative study of apolipoprotein-E polymorphism and plasma lipid levels in dyslipidemic and asymptomatic subjects, and their implication in cardio/cerebro-vascular disorders,” Neurochemistry International, vol. 56, no. 1, pp. 177–182, 2010.
- Sociedade Brasileira de Cardiologia, “IV diretriz brasileira sobre dislipidemias e prevenção da aterosclerose,” Arquivos Brasileiros de Cardiologia, vol. 88, supplement 1, 2007.
- W. H. Ettinger Jr. and T. Harris, “Causes of hypocholesterolemia,” Coronary Artery Disease, vol. 4, no. 10, pp. 854–859, 1993.
- C. Iribarren, D. M. Reed, R. Chen, K. Yano, and J. H. Dwyer, “Low serum cholesterol and mortality: which is the cause and which is the effect?” Circulation, vol. 92, no. 9, pp. 2396–2403, 1995.
- W. H. Ettinger Jr., T. Harris, R. B. Verdery, R. Tracy, and E. Kouba, “Evidence for inflammation as a cause of hypocholesterolemia in older people,” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, vol. 43, no. 3, pp. 264–266, 1995.
- C. E. Teunissen, D. Lütjohann, K. Von Bergmann et al., “Combination of serum markers related to several mechanisms in Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 24, no. 7, pp. 893–902, 2003.
- A. B. Reiss, K. A. Siller, M. M. Rahman, E. S. L. Chan, J. Ghiso, and M. J. de Leon, “Cholesterol in neurologic disorders of the elderly: stroke and Alzheimer's disease,” Neurobiology of Aging, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 977–989, 2004.
- R. Musanti, E. Parati, E. Lamperi, and G. Ghiselli, “Decreased cholesterol biosynthesis in fibroblasts from patients with Parkinson disease,” Biochemical Medicine and Metabolic Biology, vol. 49, no. 2, pp. 133–142, 1993.
- R. D. Abbott, G. W. Ross, L. R. White et al., “Midlife adiposity and the future risk of Parkinson's disease,” Neurology, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 1051–1057, 2002.
- R. D. Abbott, G. W. Ross, L. R. White et al., “Environmental, life-style, and physical precursors of clinical Parkinson's disease: recent findings from the Honolulu-Asia Aging Study,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 250, supplement 3, pp. iii30–iii39, 2003.
- L. M. L. de Lau, M. Bornebroek, J. C. M. Witteman, A. Hofman, P. J. Koudstaal, and M. M. B. Breteler, “Dietary fatty acids and the risk of Parkinson disease: The Rotterdam Study,” Neurology, vol. 64, no. 12, pp. 2040–2045, 2005.