- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 642848, 10 pages
Combination of Telmisartan with Cisplatin Controls Oral Cancer Cachexia in Rats
Institute of Pharmacy, Nirma University, Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway, Ahmedabad, Gujarat 382 481, India
Received 22 April 2013; Revised 9 July 2013; Accepted 1 September 2013
Academic Editor: Vickram Ramkumar
Copyright © 2013 Bhoomika M. Patel and Deepak Damle. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. Khalili, “Oral cancer: risk factors, prevention and diagnostic,” Experimental Oncology, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 259–264, 2008.
- K. Fearon, F. Strasser, S. D. Anker et al., “Definition and classification of cancer cachexia: an international consensus,” The Lancet Oncology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 489–495, 2011.
- D. Blum, A. Omlin, V. E. Baracos et al., “Cancer cachexia: a systematic literature review of items and domains associated with involuntary weight loss in cancer,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 114–144, 2011.
- T. Hirano, “Interleukin 6,” in The Cytokine Handbook, A. W. Thomson, Ed., pp. 145–168, Academic Press, London, UK, 2nd edition, 1994.
- T. Tsujinaka, J. Fujita, C. Ebisui et al., “Interleukin 6 receptor antibody inhibits muscle atrophy and modulates proteolytic systems in interleukin 6 transgenic mice,” Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 97, no. 1, pp. 244–249, 1996.
- K. Black, I. R. Garrett, and G. R. Mundy, “Chinese hamster ovarian cells transfected with the murine interleukin-6 gene cause hypercalcemia as well as cachexia, leukocytosis and thrombocytosis in tumor-bearing nude mice,” Endocrinology, vol. 128, no. 5, pp. 2657–2659, 1991.
- A. K. Reka, M. T. Goswami, R. Krishnapuram, T. J. Standiford, and V. G. Keshamouni, “Molecular cross-regulation between PPAR-γ and other signaling pathways: implications for lung cancer therapy,” Lung Cancer, vol. 72, no. 2, pp. 154–159, 2011.
- P. M. Sanders, S. T. Russell, and M. J. Tisdale, “Angiotensin II directly induces muscle protein catabolism through the ubiquitin-proteasome proteolytic pathway and may play a role in cancer cachexia,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 93, no. 4, pp. 425–434, 2005.
- H. Kakuta, K. Sudoh, M. Sasamata, and S. Yamagishi, “Telmisartan has the strongest binding affinity to angiotensin II type 1 receptor: comparison with other angiotensin II type 1 receptor blockers,” International Journal of Clinical Pharmacology Research, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 41–46, 2005.
- S. C. Benson, H. A. Pershadsingh, C. I. Ho et al., “Identification of telmisartan as a unique angiotensin II receptor antagonist with selective PPARγ-modulating activity,” Hypertension, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 993–1002, 2004.
- T. Ichiki, Q. Tian, I. Imayama, and K. Sunagawa, “Telmisartan manifests powerful anti-inflammatory effects beyond class effects of angiotensin II type 1 blocker by inhibiting tumor necrosis factor alpha-induced interleukin 6 expressions through peroxisome proliferator activated receptory activation,” Circulation, vol. 118, p. 513, 2008.
- B. R. Goyal, P. Mesariya, R. K. Goyal, and A. A. Mehta, “Effect of telmisartan on cardiovascular complications associated with streptozotocin diabetic rats,” Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, vol. 314, no. 1-2, pp. 123–131, 2008.
- B. R. Goyal, K. Parmar, R. K. Goyal, and A. A. Mehta, “Beneficial role of telmisartan on cardiovascular complications associated with STZ-induced type 2 diabetes in rats,” Pharmacological Reports, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 956–966, 2011.
- B. R. Goyal and A. A. Mehta, “Beneficial role of spironolactone, telmisartan and their combination on isoproterenol induced cardiac hypertrophy,” Acta Cardiologica, vol. 67, pp. 203–211, 2012.
- B. R. Goyal, S. V. Bhadada, and M. M. Patel, “Comparative evaluation of spironolactone, atenolol, metoprolol, ramipril and perindopril on diabetes-induced cardiovascular complications in type 1 diabetes in rats,” International Journal of Diabetes and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 11–18, 2011.
- B. M. Patel and S. V. Bhadada, “Type 2 diabetes-induced cardiovascular complications: comparative evaluation of spironolactone, atenolol, metoprolol, ramipril and perindopril,” Clinical and Experimental Hypertension, 2013.
- H. Ohkawa, N. Ohishi, and K. Yagi, “Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 351–358, 1979.
- E. Beutler, O. Duron, and B. M. Kelly, “Improved method for the determination of blood glutathione,” The Journal of Laboratory and Clinical Medicine, vol. 61, pp. 882–888, 1963.
- H. P. Misra and I. Fridovich, “The role of superoxide anion in the autoxidation of epinephrine and a simple assay for superoxide dismutase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 247, no. 10, pp. 3170–3175, 1972.
- K. C. H. Fearon and T. Preston, “Body composition in cancer cachexia,” Infusionstherapie, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 63–66, 1990.
- Q. Tian, R. Miyazaki, T. Ichiki et al., “Inhibition of tumor necrosis factor-α-induced interleukin-6 expression by telmisartan through cross-talk of peroxisome proliferator- activated receptor-γ with nuclear factor κB and CCAAT/enhancer- binding protein-β,” Hypertension, vol. 53, no. 5, pp. 798–804, 2009.
- Y. Noguchi, T. Yoshikawa, D. Marat et al., “Insulin resistance in cancer patients is associated with enhanced tumor necrosis factor-α expression in skeletal muscle,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 253, no. 3, pp. 887–892, 1998.
- N. Togashi, N. Ura, K. Higashiura, H. Murakami, and K. Shimamoto, “The contribution of skeletal muscle tumor necrosis factor-α to insulin resistance and hypertension in fructose-fed rats,” Journal of Hypertension, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1605–1610, 2000.
- G. Rose and M. J. Shipley, “Plasma lipids and mortality: a source of error,” The Lancet, vol. 1, no. 8167, pp. 523–526, 1980.
- S. Dessi, B. Batetta, D. Pulisci et al., “Altered pattern of lipid metabolism in patients with lung cancer,” Oncology, vol. 49, no. 6, pp. 436–441, 1992.
- H. Cai, K. K. Griendling, and D. G. Harrison, “The vascular NAD(P)H oxidases as therapeutic targets in cardiovascular diseases,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 24, no. 9, pp. 471–478, 2003.
- G. Nickenig and D. G. Harrison, “The AT1-type angiotensin receptor in oxidative stress and atherogenesis—part I: oxidative stress and atherogenesis,” Circulation, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 393–396, 2002.
- J. P. Granger, “An emerging role for inflammatory cytokines in hypertension,” American Journal of Physiology—Heart and Circulatory Physiology, vol. 290, no. 3, pp. H923–H924, 2006.
- A. Hyltander, C. Drott, U. Körner, R. Sandström, and K. Lundholm, “Elevated energy expenditure in cancer patients with solid tumours,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 9–15, 1991.
- D. R. Oliveira, R. A. S. Santos, G. F. F. Santos, M. C. Khosla, and M. J. Campagnole-Santos, “Changes in the baroreflex control of heart rate produced by central infusion of selective angiotensin antagonists in hypertensive rats,” Hypertension, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 1284–1290, 1996.
- A. Wysong, M. Couch, S. Shadfar et al., “NF-κB inhibition protects against tumor-induced cardiac atrophy in vivo,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 178, no. 3, pp. 1059–1068, 2011.
- B. R. Goyal, N. Solanki, R. K. Goyal, and A. A. Mehta, “Investigation into the cardiac effects of spironolactone in the experimental model of type 1 diabetes,” Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology, vol. 54, no. 6, pp. 502–509, 2009.
- B. M. Patel, J. Kakadiya, R. K. Goyal, and A. A. Mehta, “Effect of spironolactone on cardiovascular complications associated with type-2 diabetes in rats,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology & Diabetes, vol. 121, no. 8, pp. 441–447, 2013.
- K. C. H. Fearon, “Cancer cachexia: developing multimodal therapy for a multidimensional problem,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 44, no. 8, pp. 1124–1132, 2008.
- M. Honors and K. Kinzig, “The role of insulin resistance in the development of muscle wasting during cancer cachexia,” Journal of Cachexia, Sarcopenia and Muscle, vol. 3, pp. 5–11, 2012.
- J. Kodama, S. Katayama, K. Tanaka, A. Itabashi, S. Kawazu, and J. Ishii, “Effect of captopril on glucose concentration: possible role of augmented postprandial forearm blood flow,” Diabetes Care, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1109–1111, 1990.
- F. Folli, M. J. A. Saad, L. Velloso et al., “Crosstalk between insulin and angiotensin II signalling systems,” Experimental and Clinical Endocrinology and Diabetes, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 133–139, 1999.
- K. Higashiura, N. Ura, T. Takada et al., “The effects of an angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor and an angiotensin II receptor antagonist on insulin resistance in fructose-fed rats,” American Journal of Hypertension, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 290–297, 2000.
- F. A. Mahmoud and N. I. Rivera, “The role of C-reactive protein as a prognostic indicator in advanced cancer,” Current Oncology Reports, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 250–255, 2002.
- H. Iwagaki, A. Hizuta, N. Tanaka, and K. Orita, “Plasma neopterin/C-reactive protein ratio as an adjunct to the assessment of infection and cancer cachexia,” Immunological Investigations, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 479–487, 1995.
- H. R. Scott, D. C. McMillan, A. Crilly, C. S. McArdle, and R. Milroy, “The relationship between weight loss and interleukin 6 in non-small-cell lung cancer,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 73, no. 12, pp. 1560–1562, 1996.
- G. Strassmann, M. Fong, J. S. Kenney, and C. O. Jacob, “Evidence for the involvement of interleukin 6 in experimental cancer cachexia,” The Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 89, no. 5, pp. 1681–1684, 1992.
- H. K. van Halteren, G. P. A. Bongaerts, C. A. M. Verhagen et al., “Recombinant human erythropoietin attenuates weight loss in a murine cancer cachexia model,” Journal of Cancer Research and Clinical Oncology, vol. 130, no. 4, pp. 211–216, 2004.
- C. P. Woodbury, Biochemistry for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Jones & Bartlett Learning, Sudbury, Mass, USA, 2012.
- T. Yoshikawa, Y. Noguchi, C. Doi, T. Makino, T. Okamoto, and A. Matsumoto, “Insulin resistance was connected with the alterations of substrate utilization in patients with cancer,” Cancer Letters, vol. 141, no. 1-2, pp. 93–98, 1999.
- D. Mock, B. Whitestone, and J. Freeman, “Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase activity in human oral squamous cell carcinoma,” Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 197–201, 1987.
- J. B. Whitfield, “Gamma glutamyl transferase,” Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 263–355, 2001.
- D. M. Townsend, K. D. Tew, and H. Tapiero, “The importance of glutathione in human disease,” Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy, vol. 57, no. 3, pp. 145–155, 2003.
- W. Zhong, L. W. Oberley, T. D. Oberley, and D. K. St Clair, “Suppression of the malignant phenotype of human glioma cells by overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase,” Oncogene, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 481–490, 1997.
- N. Li, T. Oberley, L. Oberley, and W. Zhong, “Inhibition of cell growth in NIH/3T3 fibroblasts by overexpression of manganese superoxide dismutase: mechanistic studies,” Journal of Cellular Physiology, vol. 175, pp. 359–369, 1998.
- C. Culmsee and J. Krieglstein, “Mechanisms of neuronal degeneration after ischemic stroke—emerging targets for novel therapeutic strategies,” Drug Discovery Today: Disease Mechanisms, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 463–470, 2005.
- D. A. Ribeiro, D. M. Fávero Salvadori, R. N. da Silva, B. Ribeiro Darros, and M. E. Alencar Marques, “Genomic instability in non-neoplastic oral mucosa cells can predict risk during 4-nitroquinoline 1-oxide-induced rat tongue carcinogenesis,” Oral Oncology, vol. 40, no. 9, pp. 910–915, 2004.