- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 651945, 11 pages
Modification of Decellularized Goat-Lung Scaffold with Chitosan/Nanohydroxyapatite Composite for Bone Tissue Engineering Applications
1Department of Polymer and Process Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Saharanpur Campus, Saharanpur, UP 247001, India
2Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
3Department of Molecular Medicine & Biology, Jaslok Hospital and Research Center, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400026, India
Received 2 April 2013; Accepted 26 May 2013
Academic Editor: Ulrich Kneser
Copyright © 2013 Sweta K. Gupta et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Kroeze, M. N. Helder, L. E. Govaert, and T. H. Smit, “Biodegradable polymers in bone tissue engineering,” Materials, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 833–856, 2009.
- S. Oh, N. Oh, M. Appleford, and J. L. Ong, “Bioceramics for tissue engineering applications—a review,” American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 49–56, 2006.
- S. Gupta, C. Sharma, A. K. Dinda, A. K. Ray, and N. C. Mishra, “Tooth tissue engineering: potential and piffalls,” Journal of Biomimetics, Biomaterials, and Tissue Engineering, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 59–81, 2012.
- J. J. Yoon and T. G. Park, “Degradation behaviors of biodegradable macroporous scaffolds prepared by gas foaming of effervescent salts,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 401–408, 2001.
- C. Sharma, A. K. Dinda, and N. C. Mishra, “Fabrication and characterization of natural origin chitosan-gelatin-alginate composite scaffold by foaming method without using surfactant,” Journal of Applied Polymer Science, vol. 127, no. 4, pp. 3228–3241, 2012.
- C. Schugens, V. Maquet, C. Grandfils, R. Jerome, and P. Teyssie, “Polylactide macroporous biodegradable implants for cell transplantation. II. Preparation of polylactide foams by liquid-liquid phase separation,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 449–461, 1996.
- T. B. F. Woodfield, J. Malda, J. De Wijn, F. Péters, J. Riesle, and C. A. Van Blitterswijk, “Design of porous scaffolds for cartilage tissue engineering using a three-dimensional fiber-deposition technique,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 18, pp. 4149–4161, 2004.
- Z. Ma, M. Kotaki, T. Yong, W. He, and S. Ramakrishna, “Surface engineering of electrospun polyethylene terephthalate (PET) nanofibers towards development of a new material for blood vessel engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 15, pp. 2527–2536, 2005.
- S. Gautam, A. K. Dinda, and N. C. Mishra, “Fabrication and characterization of PCL/gelatin composite nanofibrous scaffold for tissue engineering applications by electrospinning method,” Materials Science and Engineering C, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 1228–1235, 2013.
- T. W. Gilbert, T. L. Sellaro, and S. F. Badylak, “Decellularization of tissues and organs,” Biomaterials, vol. 27, no. 19, pp. 3675–3683, 2006.
- T. W. Gilbert, D. B. Stolz, F. Biancaniello, A. Simmons-Byrd, and S. F. Badylak, “Production and characterization of ECM powder: implications for tissue engineering applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 12, pp. 1431–1435, 2005.
- M. J. Cozad, S. L. Bachman, and S. A. Grant, “Assessment of decellularized porcine diaphragm conjugated with gold nanomaterials as a tissue scaffold for wound healing,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research A, vol. 99, no. 3, pp. 426–434, 2011.
- E. Rieder, M.-T. Kasimir, G. Silberhumer et al., “Decellularization protocols of porcine heart valves differ importantly in efficiency of cell removal and susceptibility of the matrix to recellularization with human vascular cells,” Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, vol. 127, no. 2, pp. 399–405, 2004.
- B. Mendoza-Novelo, E. E. Avila, J. V. Cauich-RodriguezS et al., “Decellularization of pericardial tissue and its impact on tensile viscoelasticity and glycosaminoglycan content,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 1241–1248, 2011.
- C. E. Schmidt and J. M. Baier, “Acellular vascular tissues: natural biomaterials for tissue repair and tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 21, no. 22, pp. 2215–2231, 2000.
- T. W. Hudson, S. Y. Liu, and C. E. Schmidt, “Engineering an improved acellular nerve graft via optimized chemical processing,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 10, no. 9-10, pp. 1346–1358, 2004.
- G. H. Borschel, R. G. Dennis, and W. M. Kuzon Jr., “Contractile skeletal muscle tissue-engineered on an acellular scaffold,” Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 595–602, 2004.
- J. S. Cartmell and M. G. Dunn, “Effect of chemical treatments on tendon cellularity and mechanical properties,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 134–140, 2000.
- T. Woods and P. F. Gratzer, “Effectiveness of three extraction techniques in the development of a decellularized bone-anterior cruciate ligament-bone graft,” Biomaterials, vol. 26, no. 35, pp. 7339–7349, 2005.
- P. Lin, W. C. W. Chan, S. F. Badylak, and S. N. Bhatia, “Assessing porcine liver-derived biomatrix for hepatic tissue engineering,” Tissue Engineering, vol. 10, no. 7-8, pp. 1046–1053, 2004.
- R.-N. Chen, H.-O. Ho, Y.-T. Tsai, and M.-T. Sheu, “Process development of an acellular dermal matrix (ADM) for biomedical applications,” Biomaterials, vol. 25, no. 13, pp. 2679–2686, 2004.
- A. Yoshida, T. Miyazaki, E. Ishida, and M. Ashizuka, “Preparation of bioactive chitosan-hydroxyapatite nanocomposites for bone repair through mechanochemical reaction,” Materials Transactions, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 994–998, 2004.
- D. Verma, K. S. Katti, and D. R. Katti, “Osteoblast adhesion, proliferation and growth on polyelectrolyte complex-hydroxyapatite nanocomposites,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, vol. 368, no. 1917, pp. 2083–2097, 2010.
- Z. Li, L. Yubao, Y. Aiping, P. Xuelin, W. Xuejiang, and Z. Xiang, “Preparation and in vitro investigation of chitosan/nano-hydroxyapatite composite used as bone substitute materials,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 213–219, 2005.
- B. Mendoza-Novelo and J. V. Cauich-Rodriguez, “Decellularization, stabilization and functionalization of collagenous tissues used as cardiovascular biomaterials,” in Biomaterials: Physics and Chemistry, R. Pignatello, Ed., pp. 159–182, InTech, 2011.
- F. Lumachi, V. Camozzi, V. Tombolan, and G. Luisetto, “Bone mineral density, osteocalcin, and bone-specific alkaline phosphatase in patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 1173, no. 1, pp. E64–E67, 2009.
- K. Fulzele, R. C. Riddle, D. J. DiGirolamo et al., “Insulin receptor signaling in osteoblasts regulates postnatal bone acquisition and body composition,” Cell, vol. 142, no. 2, pp. 309–319, 2010.
- M. Pi, Y. Wu, and L. D. Quarles, “GPRC6A mediates responses to osteocalcin in β-cells in vitro and pancreas in vivo,” Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 1680–1683, 2011.
- W. W. Thein-Han and R. D. K. Misra, “Biomimetic chitosan-nanohydroxyapatite composite scaffolds for bone tissue engineering,” Acta Biomaterialia, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 1182–1197, 2009.
- B. Hafemann, K. Ghofrani, H.-G. Gattner, H. Stieve, and N. Pallua, “Cross-linking by 1-ethyl-3-(3-dimethylaminopropyl)-carbodiimide (EDC) of a collagen/elastin membrane meant to be used as a dermal substitute: effects on physical, biochemical and biological features in vitro,” Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 437–446, 2001.
- R. Zeeman, P. J. Dijkstra, P. B. Van Wachem et al., “Successive epoxy and carbodiimide cross-linking of dermal sheep collagen,” Biomaterials, vol. 20, no. 10, pp. 921–931, 1999.
- L. H. H. Olde Damink, P. J. Dijkstra, M. J. A. Van Luyn, P. B. Van Wachem, P. Nieuwenhuis, and J. Feijen, “Cross-linking of dermal sheep collagen using a water-soluble carbodiimide,” Biomaterials, vol. 17, no. 8, pp. 765–773, 1996.
- J. Sodek, Q. Zhang, H. A. Goldberg, et al., Non-Collagenous Bone Proteins and Their Role in Substrate-Induced Bioactivity, University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Canada, 1991.
- G. Blackburn, T. G. Scott, I. S. Bayer, A. Ghosh, A. S. Birisf, and A. Biswas, “Bionanomaterials for bone tumor engineering and tumor destruction,” Jounal of Material Chemistry B, vol. 1, no. 11, pp. 1519–1534, 2013.
- C. V. M. Rodrigues, P. Serricella, A. B. R. Linhares et al., “Characterization of a bovine collagen-hydroxyapatite composite scaffold for bone tissue engineering,” Biomaterials, vol. 24, no. 27, pp. 4987–4997, 2003.