- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 652321, 7 pages
Who Receives Home-Based Perinatal Palliative Care: Experience from Poland
1Pediatric Palliative Care Unit, Department of Pediatrics, Oncology, Hematology and Diabetology, Medical University of Lodz, 36/50 Sporna Street, 91-738 Lodz, Poland
2Gajusz Foundation, Pediatric Palliative Care Center, Home Hospice for Children of Lodz Region, 87 Dąbrowskiego Street, 93-271 Lodz, Poland
3Institute of Psychology, University of Lodz, 10/12 Smugowa Street, 91-433 Lodz, Poland
4Department of Pediatrics, Oncology, Hematology and Diabetology, Medical University of Lodz, 36/50 Sporna Street, 91-738 Lodz, Poland
Received 12 April 2013; Revised 28 June 2013; Accepted 4 August 2013
Academic Editor: Beverly Muhlhausler
Copyright © 2013 Aleksandra Korzeniewska-Eksterowicz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. Wool, “Systematic review of the literature: parental outcomes after diagnosis of fetal anomaly,” Advances in Neonatal Care, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 182–192, 2011.
- A. Balaguer, A. Martín-Ancel, D. Ortigoza-Escobar, J. Escribano, and J. Argemi, “The model of palliative care in the perinatal setting: a review of the literature,” BMC Pediatrics, vol. 12, article 25, 2012.
- A. Catlin and B. Carter, “Creation of a neonatal end-of-life palliative care protocol,” Journal of Perinatology, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 184–195, 2002.
- A. C. G. Breeze, C. C. Lees, A. Kumar, H. H. Missfelder-Lobos, and E. M. Murdoch, “Palliative care for prenatally diagnosed lethal fetal abnormality,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 92, no. 1, pp. F56–F58, 2007.
- T. Dangel, S. Fowler-Kerry, M. Karwacki, and J. Bereda, “An evaluation of a home palliative care programme for children,” Ambulatory Child Health, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 101–114, 2000.
- T. Dangel, M. Murawska, W. Marciniak, and J. Bereda, “Pediatric palliative home care in Poland (2010),” Medycyna Paliatywna, vol. 3, pp. 129–150, 2011.
- B. C. Calhoun, P. Napolitano, M. Terry, C. Bussey, and N. J. Hoeldtke, “Perinatal hospice: comprehensive care for the family of the fetus with a lethal condition,” Journal of Reproductive Medicine for the Obstetrician and Gynecologist, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 343–348, 2003.
- C. April and M. Parker, “End of life decision-making in neonatal care,” Journal of Medical Ethics, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 126–127, 2007.
- D. J. Wilkinson, J. J. Fitzsimons, P. A. Dargaville et al., “Death in the neonatal intensive care unit: changing patterns of end of life care over two decades,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. F268–F271, 2006.
- http://apps.who.int/classifications/icd10/browse/2010/en, 2012.
- http://www.stat.gov.pl/bdlen/app/strona.html?p_name=indeks, 2012.
- C. Feudtner, R. M. Hays, G. Haynes, J. R. Geyer, J. M. Neff, and T. D. Koepsell, “Deaths attributed to pediatric complex chronic conditions: national trends and implications for supportive care services,” Pediatrics, vol. 107, no. 6, p. E99, 2001.
- J. Wolff, R. Robert, A. Sommerer, and M. Volz-Fleckenstein, “Impact of a pediatric palliative care program,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 279–283, 2010.
- C. Feudtner, J. A. Feinstein, M. Satchell, H. Zhao, and T. I. Kang, “Shifting place of death among children with complex chronic conditions in the United States, 1989–2003,” Journal of the American Medical Association, vol. 297, no. 24, pp. 2725–2732, 2007.
- L. K. Fraser, M. Miller, E. S. Draper, P. A. McKinney, and R. C. Parslow, “Place of death and palliative care following discharge from paediatric intensive care units,” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 96, no. 12, pp. 1195–1198, 2011.
- A. Korzeniewska, Ł. Przysło, E. Filipiak, A. Grzelewska, and M. Stolarska, “Demand for palliative home care for children in Lodz Region,” Pediatria Polska, vol. 81, no. 11, pp. 799–805, 2006.
- S. Leuthner and E. L. Jones, “Fetal concerns program: a model for perinatal palliative care,” MCN The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 272–278, 2007.
- E. D. Howard, “Family-centered care in the context of fetal abnormality,” Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 237–242, 2006.
- J. B. Brown and L. Sutton, “A neurological care pathway for meeting the palliative care needs of people with life-limiting neurological conditions,” International Journal of Palliative Nursing, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 120–127, 2009.
- C. Feudtner, T. I. Kang, K. R. Hexem et al., “Pediatric palliative care patients: a prospective multicenter cohort study,” Pediatrics, vol. 127, no. 6, pp. 1094–1101, 2011.
- N. I. Wolf, A. García-Cazorla, and G. F. Hoffmann, “Epilepsy and inborn errors of metabolism in children,” Journal of Inherited Metabolic Disease, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 609–617, 2009.
- M. O'Malley and R. G. Hutcheon, “Genetic disorders and congenital malformations in pediatric long-term care,” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 332–334, 2007.
- A. N. Prasad and G. F. Hoffmann, “Early onset epilepsy and inherited metabolic disorders: diagnosis and management,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 37, no. 3, pp. 350–358, 2010.
- E. K. St. Louis, “Truly “rational” polytherapy: maximizing efficacy and minimizing drug interactions, drug load, and adverse effects,” Current Neuropharmacology, vol. 7, no. 2, pp. 96–105, 2009.
- E. H. Kossoff, “Intractable Childhood Epilepsy: choosing Between the Treatments,” Seminars in Pediatric Neurology, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 145–149, 2011.
- P. B. Sullivan and E. McIntyre, “Gastrointestinal problems in disabled children,” Current Paediatrics, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 347–353, 2005.
- C. Braegger, T. Decsi, J. A. Dias et al., “Practical approach to paediatric enteral nutrition: a comment by the ESPGHAN committee on nutrition,” Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 110–122, 2010.
- S. Postovsky, B. Moaed, E. Krivoy, R. Ofir, and M. W. B. Arush, “Practice of palliative sedation in children with brain tumors and sarcomas at the end of life,” Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 409–415, 2007.
- R. Kiman, A. C. Wuiloud, and M. L. Requena, “End of life care sedation for children,” Current Opinion in Supportive and Palliative Care, vol. 5, no. 3, pp. 285–290, 2011.
- G. Pousset, J. Bilsen, J. Cohen, F. Mortier, and L. Deliens, “Continuous deep sedation at the end of life of children in Flanders, Belgium,” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, vol. 41, no. 2, pp. 449–455, 2011.