- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 652604, 8 pages
Ultraviolet-Visible and Fluorescence Spectroscopy Techniques Are Important Diagnostic Tools during the Progression of Atherosclerosis: Diet Zinc Supplementation Retarded or Delayed Atherosclerosis
1Department of Physics and Astronomy, College of Science, King Saud University, P.O. Box 2455, Riyadh 11451, Saudi Arabia
2Department of Physics, College of Science, Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University, P.O. Box 90950, Riyadh 11623, Saudi Arabia
3Biochemistry Department, Biophysics group, National Research Centre, Dokki, Giza, Egypt
Received 23 June 2013; Revised 27 August 2013; Accepted 28 August 2013
Academic Editor: Kota V. Ramana
Copyright © 2013 Mohamed Anwar K. Abdelhalim et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. K. Glass and J. L. Witztum, “Atherosclerosis: the road ahead,” Cell, vol. 104, no. 4, pp. 503–516, 2001.
- R. Ross, “Atherosclerosis—an inflammatory disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 340, no. 2, pp. 115–126, 1999.
- R. S. Cotran, V. Kumar, and T. Collins, Patologia Estrutural E Funcional, Guanabara Koogan, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2000.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and M. Mady, “Liver uptake of gold nanoparticles after intraperitoneal administration in vivo: a fluorescence study,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 195, 2011.
- M. Abdelhalim and B. M. Jarrar, “Gold nanoparticles administration induced prominent inflammatory, central vein intima disruption, fatty change and Kupffer cells hyperplasia,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 133, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and B. M. Jarrar, “The appearance of renal cells cytoplasmic degeneration and nuclear destruction might be an indication of GNPs toxicity,” Lipids in Health and Disease, vol. 10, article 147, 2011.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim, “The bioaccumulation and toxicity induced by gold nanoparticles in rats in vivo can be detected by ultraviolet-visible (UV-visible) spectroscopy,” African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 11, no. 39, pp. 9399–9406, 2012.
- E. Braunwald, Tratado de Medicina Cardiovascular, Editora Roca LTDA, São Paulo, Brazil, 1999.
- R. S. Cotran, V. Kumar, and C. T. Robbins, Patología Estrutural e Funcional, Guanabara Koogan, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2000.
- H. C. Stary, “Evolution and progression of atherosclerotic lesions in coronary arteries of children and young adults,” Atherosclerosis Supplements, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. I19–I32, 1989.
- M. Keijzer, R. Richards-Kortum, S. L. Jacques, and M. S. Feld, “Fluorescence spectroscopy of turbid media: autofluorescence of human aorta,” Applied Optics, vol. 28, no. 20, pp. 4286–4292, 1989.
- C. Kittrell, R. L. Willett, and C. De Los Santos-Pacheo, “Diagnosis of fibrous arterial atherosclerosis using fluorescence,” Applied Optics, vol. 24, no. 15, pp. 2280–2281, 1985.
- A. Warnholtz, H. Mollnau, M. Oelze, M. Wendt, and T. Münzel, “Antioxidants and endothelial dysfunction in hyperlipidemia,” Current Hypertension Reports, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 53–60, 2001.
- A. J. Lusis, “Atherosclerosis,” Nature, vol. 407, no. 6801, pp. 233–241, 2000.
- R. Kohen and A. Nyska, “Oxidation of biological systems: oxidative stress phenomena, antioxidants, redox reactions, and methods for their quantification,” Toxicologic Pathology, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 620–650, 2002.
- M. A. K. Abdelhalim and S. A. Moussa, “Biochemical changes of hemoglobin and osmotic fragility of red blood cells in high fat diet rabbits,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 73–77, 2010.
- P. Weinmann, M. Jouan, N. Quy Dao et al., “Quantitative analysis of cholesterol and cholesteryl esters in human atherosclerotic plaques using near-infrared Raman spectroscopy,” Atherosclerosis, vol. 140, no. 1, pp. 81–88, 1998.
- T. J. Römer, J. F. Brennan III, M. Fitzmaurice et al., “Histopathology of human coronary atherosclerosis by quantifying its chemical composition with Raman spectroscopy,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 9, pp. 878–885, 1998.
- G. Deinum, D. Rodriguez, T. J. Römer, M. Fitzmaurice, J. R. Kramer, and M. S. Feld, “Histological classification of Raman spectra of human coronary artery atherosclerosis using principal component analysis,” Applied Spectroscopy, vol. 53, no. 8, pp. 938–942, 1999.
- A. E. Pearse, Histochemistry. Theoritical and Applied. Analytical Technology, vol. 2, Churchill-Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 4th edition, 1985.
- J. V. Dacie and S. M. Lewis, Practical Haematology, Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK, 7th edition, 1991.
- L. Silveira Jr., S. Sathaiah, R. A. Zngaro, M. T. T. Pacheco, M. C. Chavantes, and C. A. G. Pasqualucci, “Correlation between near-infrared Raman spectroscopy and the histopathological analysis of atherosclerosis in human coronary arteries,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 290–297, 2002.
- A. Jetsrisuparb, K. Sanchaisuriya, G. Fucharoen et al., “Development of severe anemia during fever episodes in patients with hemoglobin E trait and hemoglobin H disease combinations,” Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 249–253, 2006.
- H. Esterbauer, J. Gebicki, H. Puhl, and G. Jurgens, “The role of lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in oxidative modification of LDL,” Free Radical Biology and Medicine, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 341–390, 1992.