- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 654354, 11 pages
Increased Expression of Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGF-R) in Patients with Different Forms of Lung Fibrosis
1Department of Pneumonology, University Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Medical school, Democritus University of Thrace, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
2Department of Pathology, Veterans Administration Hospital (NIMTS), 11521 Athens, Greece
3Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Medical School, Democritus University of Thrace, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
4Department of Pathology, University Hospital of Alexandroupolis, Medical school, Democritus University of Thrace, 68100 Alexandroupolis, Greece
Received 18 April 2013; Accepted 21 May 2013
Academic Editor: Shoichiro Ono
Copyright © 2013 Argyris Tzouvelekis et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- “American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society International Multidisciplinary Consensus Classification of the Idiopathic Interstitial Pneumonias. This joint statement of the American Thoracic Society (ATS), and the European Respiratory Society (ERS) was adopted by the ATS board of directors, June 2001 and by the ERS Executive Committee, June 2001,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 165, p. 304, 2002.
- R. S. Herbst and A. B. Sandler, “Overview of the current status of human epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors in lung cancer,” Clinical Lung Cancer, vol. 6, supplement 1, pp. S7–S19, 2004.
- R. S. Herbst, “Review of epidermal growth factor receptor biology,” International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 21–26, 2004.
- D. S. Salomon, R. Brandt, F. Ciardiello, and N. Normanno, “Epidermal growth factor-related peptides and their receptors in human malignancies,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 183–232, 1995.
- C. L. Arteaga, “Epidermal growth factor receptor dependence in human tumors: more than just expression?” Oncologist, vol. 7, supplement 4, pp. 31–39, 2002.
- C. L. Arteaga, A. O'Neill, S. L. Moulder et al., “A phase I-II study of combined blockade of the ErbB receptor network with trastuzumab and gefitinib in patients with HER2 (ErbB2)-overexpressing metastatic breast cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 14, no. 19, pp. 6277–6283, 2008.
- X. Chen, T. K. Yeung, and Z. Wang, “Enhanced drug resistance in cells coexpressing ErbB2 with EGF receptor or ErbB3,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 277, no. 3, pp. 757–763, 2000.
- J. Fischer-Colbrie, A. Witt, H. Heinzl et al., “EGFR and steroid receptors in ovarian carcinoma: comparison with prognostic parameters and outcome of patients,” Anticancer Research, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 613–619, 1997.
- J. G. M. Klijn, M. P. Look, H. Portengen, J. Alexieva-Figusch, W. L. J. Van Putten, and J. A. Fockens, “The prognostic value of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGF-R) in primary breast cancer: results of a 10 year follow-up study,” Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 73–83, 1994.
- N. Magné, X. Pivot, R.-J. Bensadoun et al., “The relationship of epidermal growth factor receptor levels to the prognosis of unresectable pharyngeal cancer patients treated by chemo-radiotherapy,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 37, no. 17, pp. 2169–2177, 2001.
- J. C. Newby, S. R. D. Johnston, I. E. Smith, and M. Dowsett, “Expression of epidermal growth factor receptor and c-erbB2 during the development of tamoxifen resistance in human breast cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 3, no. 9, pp. 1643–1651, 1997.
- C. I. Sartor, “Biological modifiers as potential radiosensitizers: targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor family,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 27, no. 6, pp. 15–20, 2000.
- R. S. Herbst and P. A. Bunn Jr., “Targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor in non-small cell lung cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 9, no. 16, pp. 5813–5824, 2003.
- R. S. Herbst, “Erlotinib (Tarceva): an update on the clinical trial program,” Seminars in Oncology, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 34–46, 2003.
- R. S. Herbst and A. Sandler, “Bevacizumab and erlotinib: a promising new approach to the treatment of advanced NSCLC,” Oncologist, vol. 13, no. 11, pp. 1166–1176, 2008.
- T. S. Mok, Y.-L. Wu, S. Thongprasert et al., “Gefitinib or carboplatin-paclitaxel in pulmonary adenocarcinoma,” New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 361, no. 10, pp. 947–957, 2009.
- A. B. Rice, C. R. Moomaw, D. L. Morgan, and J. C. Bonner, “Specific inhibitors of platelet-derived growth factor or epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase reduce pulmonary fibrosis in rats,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 155, no. 1, pp. 213–221, 1999.
- W. D. Hardie, C. Davidson, M. Ikegami et al., “EGF receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors diminish transforming growth factor-α-induced pulmonary fibrosis,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 294, no. 6, pp. L1217–L1225, 2008.
- Y. Ishii, S. Fujimoto, and T. Fukuda, “Gefitinib prevents bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis in mice,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 174, no. 5, pp. 550–556, 2006.
- H. Suzuki, K. Aoshiba, N. Yokohori, and A. Nagai, “Epidermal growth factor receptor tyrosine kinase inhibition augments a murine model of pulmonary fibrosis,” Cancer Research, vol. 63, no. 16, pp. 5054–5059, 2003.
- M. Ando, I. Okamoto, N. Yamamoto et al., “Predictive factors for interstitial lung disease, antitumor response, and survival in non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with gefitinib,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 24, no. 16, pp. 2549–2556, 2006.
- M. H. Cohen, J. R. Johnson, S. Chattopadhyay et al., “Approval summary: erlotinib maintenance therapy of advanced/metastatic non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC),” Oncologist, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1344–1351, 2010.
- A. Inoue, Y. Saijo, M. Maemondo et al., “Severe acute interstitial pneumonia and gefitinib,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9352, pp. 137–139, 2003.
- J. G. Paez, P. A. Jänne, J. C. Lee et al., “EGFR mutations in lung, cancer: correlation with clinical response to gefitinib therapy,” Science, vol. 304, no. 5676, pp. 1497–1500, 2004.
- S. Kudoh, H. Kato, Y. Nishiwaki et al., “Interstitial lung disease in Japanese patients with lung cancer: a cohort and nested case-control study,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 177, no. 12, pp. 1348–1357, 2008.
- S. Danson, F. Blackhall, P. Hulse, and M. Ranson, “Interstitial lung disease in lung cancer: separating disease progression from treatment effects,” Drug Safety, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 103–113, 2005.
- I. Dimopoulou, A. Bamias, P. Lyberopoulos, and M. A. Dimopoulos, “Pulmonary toxicity from novel antineoplastic agents,” Annals of Oncology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 372–379, 2006.
- M. Suzuki, H. Asahina, J. Konishi, K. Yamazaki, and M. Nishimura, “Recurrent gefitinib-induced interstitial lung disease,” Internal Medicine, vol. 47, no. 6, pp. 533–536, 2008.
- G. Raghu, H. R. Collard, J. J. Egan et al., “An Official ATS/ERS/JRS/ALAT Statement: idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: evidence-based guidelines for diagnosis and management,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 183, no. 6, pp. 788–824, 2011.
- R. Dziadziuszko, S. E. Witta, F. Cappuzzo et al., “Epidermal growth factor receptor messenger RNA expression, gene dosage, and gefitinib sensitivity in non-small cell lung cancer,” Clinical Cancer Research, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 3078–3084, 2006.
- K. M. Antoniou, D. M. Hansell, M. B. Rubens et al., “Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: outcome in relation to smoking status,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 177, no. 2, pp. 190–194, 2008.
- K. D. Samara, G. Margaritopoulos, A. U. Wells, N. M. Siafakas, and K. M. Antoniou, “Smoking and pulmonary fibrosis: novel insights,” Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 2011, Article ID 461439, 4 pages, 2011.
- M. Selman, J. King T.E., and A. Pardo, “Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: prevailing and evolving hypotheses about its pathogenesis and implications for therapy,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 136–151, 2001.
- M. Selman, A. Pardo, and N. Kaminski, “Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: aberrant recapitulation of developmental programs?” PLoS Medicine, vol. 5, no. 3, article e62, 2008.
- K. Archontogeorgis, P. Steiropoulos, A. Tzouvelekis, E. Nena, and D. Bouros, “Lung cancer and interstitial lung diseases: a systematic review,” Pulmonary Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 315918, 11 pages, 2012.