- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 659183, 9 pages
Antimicrobial Activity, Growth Inhibition of Human Tumour Cell Lines, and Phytochemical Characterization of the Hydromethanolic Extract Obtained from Sapindus saponaria L. Aerial Parts
1Pharmacognosy Department, National Research Centre, Dokki, Giza 12311, Egypt
2Institute for Biological Research “Siniša Stanković”, University of Belgrade, Boulevard, Despota Stefana 142, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
3Montain Research Center (CIMO), ESA, Polytechnic Institute of Bragança, Campus de Santa Apolónia, Apartado 1172, 5301-855 Bragança, Portugal
4Centre of Chemistry, University of Minho, Campus de Gualtar, 4710-057 Braga, Portugal
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 7 October 2013; Accepted 9 October 2013
Academic Editor: Ziad Daoud
Copyright © 2013 Khaled N. Rashed et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- I. Raskin, D. M. Ribnicky, S. Komarnytsky et al., “Plants and human health in the twenty-first century,” Trends in Biotechnology, vol. 20, no. 12, pp. 522–531, 2002.
- M. M. Cowan, “Plant products as antimicrobial agents,” Clinical Microbiology Reviews, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 564–582, 1999.
- E. N. Quiroga, A. R. Sampietro, and M. A. Vattuone, “Screening antifungal activities of selected medicinal plants,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 74, no. 1, pp. 89–96, 2001.
- A. Ghosh, B. K. Das, A. Roy, B. Mandal, and G. Chandra, “Antibacterial activity of some medicinal plant extracts,” Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 259–262, 2008.
- J. N. Eloff, “Which extractant should be used for the screening and isolation of antimicrobial components from plants?” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 60, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 1998.
- G. Karp, Cell and Molecular Biology—Concepts and Experiments, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA, 2nd edition, 1999.
- V. S. Neergheen, T. Bahorun, E. W. Taylor, L. S. Jen, and O. I. Aruoma, “Targeting specific cell signaling transduction pathways by dietary and medicinal phytochemicals in cancer chemoprevention,” Toxicology, vol. 278, no. 2, pp. 229–241, 2010.
- M. L. A. Albiero, M. E. Bacchi, and M. S. K. Mourao, “Caracterizacao anatomica das folhas, frutos e sementes de Sapindus saponaria L., (Sapindaceae),” Acta Science, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 549–560, 2001.
- O. Castro, J. M. Gutiérrez, M. Barrios, I. Castro, M. Romero, and E. Umaña, “Neutralización del efecto hemorrágico inducido por veneno de Bothrops asper (Serpentes: Viperidae) por extractos de plantas tropicales,” Revista de Biología Tropical, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 605–615, 1999.
- J. K. Tsuzuki, T. I. E. Svidzinski, C. S. Shinobu et al., “Antifungal activity of the extracts and saponins from Sapindus saponaria L,” Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciencias, vol. 79, no. 4, pp. 577–583, 2007.
- F. C. Barreto, M. G. Cavasin, G. H. H. Silva, and G. I. Silva, “Estudo das alteracoes morfo-histologicas em larvas de Aedes aegypti (diptera, culicidae) submetidas ao extrato bruto etanolico de Sapindus saponaria Lin (SAPINDACEAE),” Revista de Patalogía Tropical, vol. 35, pp. 37–57, 2006.
- M. S. Abdel-Wahab and A. M. Selim, “Lipids and flavonoids of Sapindus saponaria,” Fitoterapia, vol. 56, no. 3, pp. 167–168, 1985.
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, “Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically,” Approved standard, 8th ed. CLSI publication M07-A8, Wayne, PA, USA, 2009.
- T. Tsukatani, H. Suenaga, M. Shiga et al., “Comparison of the WST-8 colorimetric method and the CLSI broth microdilution method for susceptibility testing against drug-resistant bacteria,” Journal of Microbiological Methods, vol. 90, no. 3, pp. 160–166, 2012.
- H. Hanel and W. Raether, “A more sophisticated method of determining the fungicidal effect of water-insoluble preparations with a cell harvester, using miconazole as an example,” Mycoses, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 148–154, 1988.
- A. Espinel-Ingroff, “Comparison of the E-test with the NCCLS M38-P method for antifungal susceptibility testing of common and emerging pathogenic filamentous fungi,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 1360–1367, 2001.
- R. Guimarães, L. Barros, M. Dueñas et al., “Nutrients, phytochemicals and bioactivity of wild Roman chamomile: a comparison between the herb and its preparations,” Food Chemistry, vol. 136, no. 2, pp. 718–725, 2013.
- T. L. G. Lemos, A. L. Mendes, M. P. Sousa, and R. Braz-Filho, “New saponin from Sapindus saponaria,” Fitoterapia, vol. 63, no. 6, pp. 515–517, 1992.
- Z. Du, N. Zhu, N. Ze-Ren-Wang-Mu, and Y. Shen, “Two new antifungal saponins from the Tibetan herbal medicine Clematis tangutica,” Planta Medica, vol. 69, no. 6, pp. 547–551, 2003.
- M. W. Lee, S. U. Kim, and D. R. Hahn, “Antifungal activity of modified hederagenin glycosides from the leaves of Kalopanax pictum var. chinense,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 718–719, 2001 (Chinese).
- L. C. Scalon Cunha, M. L. Andrade E Silva, N. A. J. Cardoso Furtado et al., “Antibacterial activity of triterpene acids and semi-synthetic derivatives against oral pathogens,” Zeitschrift fur Naturforschung C, vol. 62, no. 9-10, pp. 668–672, 2007.
- S. S. Guo, Y. J. Shi, Y. J. Gao, D. Su, and X. L. Cui, “The cytology mechanism of anti-parainfluenza virus infection of total flavone of Scutellaria barbata,” Yao-xue Xue-bao (Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica), vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 1348–1352, 2009.
- C. Nishino, N. Enoki, and S. Tawata, “Antibacterial activity of flavonoids against Staphylococcus epidermidis, a skin bacterium,” Agricultural and Biological Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 139–143, 1987.
- H. P. Baise, T. S. Walker, F. R. Stermitz, R. S. Hufbauer, and J. M. Vivanco, “Enantiometric dependent phytotoxic and antimicrobial activity of (±) catechin, a rhizosecreted racemic mixture fromCentaurea maculosa(spotted knapweed),” Plant Physiology, vol. 128, pp. 1173–1177, 2002.
- I. Aljančić, V. Vajs, N. Menković et al., “Flavones and sesquiterpene lactones from Achillea atrata subsp, multifida: antimicrobial activity,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 909–911, 1999.
- T. E. Tshikalange, J. J. M. Meyer, and A. A. Hussein, “Antimicrobial activity, toxicity and the isolation of a bioactive compound from plants used to treat sexually transmitted diseases,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 96, no. 3, pp. 515–519, 2005.
- J. Kukić, V. Popović, S. Petrović et al., “Antioxidant and antimicrobial activity of Cynara cardunculus extracts,” Food Chemistry, vol. 107, no. 2, pp. 861–868, 2008.
- X. Zhu, H. Zhang, and R. Lo, “Phenolic compounds from the leaf extract of artichoke (Cynara scolymus L.) and their antimicrobial activities,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 52, no. 24, pp. 7272–7278, 2004.
- M. Soković, P. D. Marin, and D. Brkić, “Antifungal activity of ethanolic extract from Phlomis fruticosa L,” Archives of Biological Sciences, vol. 52, pp. 203–208, 2000.
- G. Tirtha, M. K. Tapan, and J. Singh, “Evaluation of antitumor activity of stigmasterol, a constituent isolated from Bacopa monnieri Linn aerial parts against ehrlich ascites carcinoma in mice,” Orient Pharmaceutical and Experimental Medicine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 41–49, 2011.
- Z. Ovesna, A. Vachalkova, K. Horvathova, and D. Tothova, “Pentacyclic triterpenic acids: new chemoprotective compounds,” Neoplasma, vol. 51, pp. 327–333, 2004.
- I. Yinusa, N. G. Ilogbulem, and A. O. Joseph, “Isolation of stigmasterol from serial plant part of Spillanthes acmella Murr,” World Journal of Life Sciences and Medical Research, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 77–80, 2012.
- M. Y. Baek, J. G. Cho, D. Y. Lee, E. M. Ahn, T. S. Jeong, and N. I. Baek, “Isolation of triterpenoids from the stem bark of Albizia julibrissin and their inhibition activity on ACAT-1 and ACAT-2,” Journal of Applied Biological Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 310–315, 2010.
- S. Saeidnia, N. Yassa, R. Rezaeipoor et al., “Immunosuppressive principles from achillea talagonica, an endemic species of Iran,” Daru, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 37–41, 2009.
- J. T. Mabry, R. K. Markham, and B. M. Thomas, The Systematic Identification of Flavonoids, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 1970.
- B. J. Harborne, J. T. Mabry, and H. Mabry, The Flavonoids, Chapman and Hall, London, UK, 1975.
- K. P. Agrawal, 13C-NMR of Flavonoids, vol. 39 of Studies in Organic Chemistry, Elsevier, Amesterdam, Netherlands, 1989.
- A. Kuruüzüm-Uz, Z. Güvenalp, K. Ströch, L. Ö. Demirezer, and A. Zeeck, “Antioxidant potency of flavonoids from Vitex agnus-castus L. growing in Turkey,” Fabad Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 33, no. 1, pp. 11–16, 2008.
- Y. Lu and L. Yeap Foo, “Flavonoid and phenolic glycosides from Salvia officinalis,” Phytochemistry, vol. 55, no. 3, pp. 263–267, 2000.
- Z. Güvenalp, N. Kiliç, C. Kazaz, Y. Kaya, and L. Ö. Demirezer, “Chemical constituents of Galium tortumense,” Turkish Journal of Chemistry, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 515–523, 2006.