- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 672614, 6 pages
HBV Genotype B/C and Response to Lamivudine Therapy: A Systematic Review
1Department of Gastroenterology, The Second Hospital of Hebei Medical University, Hebei Key Laboratory of Gastroenterology, Hebei Institute of Gastroenterology, No. 215 Heping West Road, Shijiazhuang 050000, China
2Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Hebei Medical University, Shijiazhuang, Hebei 050017, China
Received 23 July 2013; Revised 11 October 2013; Accepted 22 October 2013
Academic Editor: Xin Yao
Copyright © 2013 Xiu-Li Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. L. Dienstag, “Drug therapy: hepatitis B virus infection,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 359, no. 14, pp. 1486–1500, 2008.
- S. Schaefer, “Hepatitis B virus taxonomy and hepatitis B virus genotypes,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 14–21, 2007.
- A. Bartholomeusz and S. Schaefer, “Hepatitis B virus genotypes: comparison of genotyping methods,” Reviews in Medical Virology, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 3–16, 2004.
- A. Zeng, H. Deng, C. Yang et al., “Hepatitis B virus genotype-associated variability in antiviral response to adefovir dipivoxil therapy in Chinese han population,” Tohoku Journal of Experimental Medicine, vol. 216, no. 3, pp. 205–211, 2008.
- G. Zeng, Z. Wang, S. Wen et al., “Geographic distribution, virologic and clinical characteristics of hepatitis B virus genotypes in China,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 609–617, 2005.
- I. Carey and P. M. Harrison, “Monotherapy versus combination therapy for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1655–1666, 2009.
- E. Palumbo, “Hepatitis B genotypes and response to antiviral therapy: a review,” American Journal of Therapeutics, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 306–309, 2007.
- H. J. Flink, M. van Zonneveld, B. E. Hansen, R. A. de Man, S. W. Schalm, and H. L. A. Janssen, “Treatment with Peg-interferon α-2b for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B: HBsAg loss is associated with HBV genotype,” American Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 101, no. 2, pp. 297–303, 2006.
- X. P. Pan, L. J. Li, W. B. Du, M. W. Li, H. C. Cao, and J. F. Sheng, “Differences of YMDD mutational patterns, precore/core promoter mutations, serum HBV DNA levels in lamivudine-resistant hepatitis B genotypes B and C,” Journal of Viral Hepatitis, vol. 14, no. 11, pp. 767–774, 2007.
- T. Piratvisuth, G. Lau, Y. Chao et al., “Sustained response to peginterferon alfa-2a (40 kD) with or without lamivudine in Asian patients with HBeAg-positive and HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B,” Hepatology International, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 102–110, 2008.
- H. Zou, L. Zhu, G. Zhao et al., “The relationship between HBV genotypes and the efficacy of antiviral therapies in hepatitis B e antigen-positive patients,” Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 425–427, 2007.
- S. Song, H. Zhuang, J. Yan et al., “Relationship between B virus hepatitis genotypes and therapeutic efficacy in early treatment for chronic hepatitis B by using lamivudine,” Zhonghua Yu Fang Yi Xue Za Zhi, vol. 39, no. 3, pp. 203–205, 2005.
- J. Chen, Z. Wang, S. Ma et al., “Changes of serum HBsAg in HBeAg positive chronic hepatitis patients with sustained viral response to long-term lamivudine treatment,” Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 416–420, 2008.
- S. G. Selabe, E. Song, R. J. Burnett, and M. J. Mphahlele, “Frequent detection of hepatitis B virus variants associated with lamivudine resistance in treated South African patients infected chronically with different HBV genotypes,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 996–1001, 2009.
- M. Kobayashi, F. Suzuki, N. Akuta et al., “Response to long-term lamivudine treatment in patients infected with hepatitis B virus genotypes A, B, and C,” Journal of Medical Virology, vol. 78, no. 10, pp. 1276–1283, 2006.
- R. Chien, C. Yeh, S. Tsai, C. Chu, and Y. Liaw, “Determinants for sustained HBeAg response to lamivudine therapy,” Hepatology, vol. 38, no. 5, pp. 1267–1273, 2003.
- H. Lu, L. Zhuang, Y. Yu, C. Si, and J. Li, “Effects of antiviral agents on intrahepatic ccc DNA in HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B patients,” Zhonghua Gan Zang Bing Za Zhi, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 198–202, 2008.
- S. Li, L. Qin, L. Zhang et al., “Molecular epidemical characteristics of Lamivudine resistance mutations of HBV in southern China,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. PH75–PH80, 2011.
- E. Orito, K. Fujiwara, Y. Tanaka et al., “A case-control study of response to lamivudine therapy for 2 years in Japanese and Chinese patients chronically infected with hepatitis B virus of genotypes Bj, Ba and C,” Hepatology Research, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 127–134, 2006.
- F. Bonino, P. Marcellin, G. K. K. Lau et al., “Predicting response to peginterferon α-2a, lamivudine and the two combined for HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B,” Gut, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 699–705, 2007.
- G. K. K. Lau, T. Piratvisuth, X. L. Kang et al., “Peginterferon Alfa-2a, lamivudine, and the combination for HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 352, no. 26, pp. 2682–2695, 2005.
- F. Suzuki, A. Tsubota, Y. Arase et al., “Efficacy of lamivudine therapy and factors associated with emergence of resistance in chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Japan,” Intervirology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 182–189, 2003.
- D. Zhou, L. Lin, H. Wang, and J. Huang, “The relationship between HBV lamivudine resistance and HBV genotypes or basic core promoter mutations,” Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Diseases International, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 85–89, 2003.
- J. P. T. Higgins, S. G. Thompson, J. J. Deeks, and D. G. Altman, “Measuring inconsistency in meta-analyses,” British Medical Journal, vol. 327, no. 7414, pp. 557–560, 2003.
- C. B. Begg and M. Mazumdar, “Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias,” Biometrics, vol. 50, no. 4, pp. 1088–1101, 1994.
- M. Egger, G. D. Smith, M. Schneider, and C. Minder, “Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7109, pp. 629–634, 1997.
- J. Pawlotsky, G. Dusheiko, A. Hatzakis et al., “Virologic monitoring of hepatitis B virus therapy in clinical trials and practice: recommendations for a standardized approach,” Gastroenterology, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 405–415, 2008.
- H. Sumi, O. Yokosuka, N. Seki et al., “Influence of hepatitis B virus genotypes on the progression of chronic type B liver disease,” Hepatology, vol. 37, no. 1, pp. 19–26, 2003.
- C. Liu, W. Huang, P. Chen, M. Lai, J. Kao, and D. Chen, “End-of-treatment virologic response does not predict relapse after lamivudine treatment for chronic hepatitis B,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 10, no. 24, pp. 3574–3578, 2004.
- I. Merican, R. Guan, D. Amarapuka et al., “Chronic hepatitis B virus infection in Asian countries,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 15, no. 12, pp. 1356–1361, 2000.
- M.-F. Yuen, H.-J. Yuan, D. K.-H. Wong et al., “Prognostic determinants for chronic hepatitis B in Asians: therapeutic implications,” Gut, vol. 54, no. 11, pp. 1610–1614, 2005.
- N. Leung, “Treatment of chronic hepatitis B: case selection and duration of therapy,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 409–414, 2002.
- S. Villet, C. Pichoud, G. Billioud et al., “Impact of hepatitis B virus rtA181V/T mutants on hepatitis B treatment failure,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 747–755, 2008.
- J. J. Y. Sung, J. Lai, S. Zeuzem et al., “Lamivudine compared with lamivudine and adefovir dipivoxil for the treatment of HBeAg-positive chronic hepatitis B,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 728–735, 2008.
- H. L. Chan, M. Wong, A. Y. Hui et al., “Hepatitis B virus genotype has no impact on hepatitis B e antigen seroconversion after lamivudine treatment,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 9, no. 12, pp. 2695–2697, 2003.
- M. Economou, S. Manolakopoulos, T. A. Trikalinos et al., “Interferon-α plus lamivudine vs lamivudine reduces breakthroughs, but does not affect sustained response in HBeAg negative chronic hepatitis B,” World Journal of Gastroenterology, vol. 11, no. 37, pp. 5882–5887, 2005.
- M. Sheu, H. Kuo, C. Lin et al., “Lamivudine monotherapy for chronic hepatitis B infection with acute exacerbation revisited,” European Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 447–451, 2009.
- M. Buti, I. Elefsiniotis, R. Jardi et al., “Viral genotype and baseline load predict the response to adefovir treatment in lamivudine-resistant chronic hepatitis B patients,” Journal of Hepatology, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 366–372, 2007.