- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 676489, 10 pages
Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cardiovascular Fibrosis and Inflammation: From Clinical Practice to Animal Studies and Back
Department of Internal Medicine/Cardiology, German Heart Institute Berlin, Augustenburger Platz 1, 13353 Berlin, Germany
Received 30 April 2013; Revised 13 July 2013; Accepted 21 July 2013
Academic Editor: Monvadi Barbara Srichai
Copyright © 2013 Adelina Doltra et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- R. J. Kim, D. S. Fieno, T. B. Parrish et al., “Relationship of MRI delayed contrast enhancement to irreversible injury, infarct age, and contractile function,” Circulation, vol. 100, no. 19, pp. 1992–2002, 1999.
- H. Mahrholdt, A. Wagner, T. A. Holly et al., “Reproducibility of chronic infarct size measurement by contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging,” Circulation, vol. 106, no. 18, pp. 2322–2327, 2002.
- R. C. Hendel, M. R. Patel, C. M. Kramer, et al., “ACCF/ACR/SCCT/SCMR/ASNC/NASCI/SCAI/SIR, 2006 appropriateness criteria for cardiac computed tomography and cardiac magnetic resonance imaging: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Quality Strategic Directions Committee Appropriateness Criteria Working Group, American College of Radiology, Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography, Society for Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, American Society of Nuclear Cardiology, North American Society for Cardiac Imaging, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, and Society of Interventional Radiology,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 48, pp. 1475–1497, 2006.
- O. Bruder, A. Wagner, M. Lombardi, et al., “European Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance (EuroCMR) registry—multi national results from 57 centers in 15 countries,” Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, vol. 15, article 9, 2013.
- T. Thouet, B. Schnackenburg, T. Kokocinski, E. Fleck, E. Nagel, and S. Kelle, “Visualization of chronic myocardial infarction using the intravascular contrast agent MS-325 (gadofosveset) in patients,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 2012, Article ID 236401, 6 pages, 2012.
- D. S. Chow, S. Bahrami, S. S. Raman et al., “Risk of nephrogenic systemic fibrosis in liver transplantation patients,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 197, no. 3, pp. 658–662, 2011.
- F. G. Shellock and A. Spinazzi, “MRI safety update 2008: part 1, MRI contrast agents and nephrogenic systemic fibrosis,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 191, no. 4, pp. 1129–1139, 2008.
- S. Becker, S. Walter, O. Witzke et al., “The German registry for nephrogenic systemic fibrosis: findings from 23 patients,” Clinical Nephrology, vol. 73, no. 6, pp. 426–430, 2010.
- C. Klein, T. R. Schmal, S. G. Nekolla, B. Schnackenburg, E. Fleck, and E. Nagel, “Mechanism of late gadolinium enhancement in patients with acute myocardial infarction,” Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 653–658, 2007.
- C. Klein, S. G. Nekolla, T. Balbach et al., “The influence of myocardial blood flow and volume of distribution on late Gd-DTPA kinetics in ischemic heart failure,” Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 588–594, 2004.
- L. C. Amado, B. L. Gerber, S. N. Gupta et al., “Accurate and objective infarct sizing by contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in a canine myocardial infarction model,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 44, no. 12, pp. 2383–2389, 2004.
- R. S. Pereira, F. S. Prato, G. Wisenberg, and J. Sykes, “The determination of myocardial viability using Gd-DTPA in a canine model of acute myocardial ischemia and reperfusion,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 684–693, 1996.
- R. S. Pereira, F. S. Prato, J. Sykes, and G. Wisenberg, “Assessment of myocardial viability using MRI during a constant infusion of Gd-DTPA: further studies at early and late periods of reperfusion,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 42, pp. 60–68, 1999.
- M. J. Ricciardi, E. Wu, C. J. Davidson et al., “Visualization of discrete microinfarction after percutaneous coronary intervention associated with mild creatine kinase-MB elevation,” Circulation, vol. 103, no. 23, pp. 2780–2783, 2001.
- A. Wagner, H. Mahrholdt, T. A. Holly et al., “Contrast-enhanced MRI and routine single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) perfusion imaging for detection of subendocardial myocardial infarcts: an imaging study,” The Lancet, vol. 361, no. 9355, pp. 374–379, 2003.
- W. P. Ingkanisorn, K. L. Rhoads, A. H. Aletras, P. Kellman, and A. E. Arai, “Gadolinium delayed enhancement cardiovascular magnetic resonance correlates with clinical measures of myocardial infarction,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 43, no. 12, pp. 2253–2259, 2004.
- A. M. Beek, H. P. Kühl, O. Bondarenko et al., “Delayed contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging for the prediction of regional functional improvement after acute myocardial infarction,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 42, no. 5, pp. 895–901, 2003.
- K. M. Choi, R. J. Kim, G. Gubernikoff, J. D. Vargas, M. Parker, and R. M. Judd, “Transmural extent of acute myocardial infarction predicts long-term improvement in contractile function,” Circulation, vol. 104, no. 10, pp. 1101–1107, 2001.
- A. N. Mather, T. Lockie, E. Nagel et al., “Appearance of microvascular obstruction on high resolution first-pass perfusion, early and late gadolinium enhancement CMR in patients with acute myocardial infarction,” Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, vol. 11, no. 1, article 33, 2009.
- K. C. Wu, E. A. Zerhouni, R. M. Judd et al., “Prognostic significance of microvascular obstruction by magnetic resonance imaging in patients with acute myocardial infarction,” Circulation, vol. 97, no. 8, pp. 765–772, 1998.
- I. Eitel, K. Kubusch, O. Strohm et al., “Prognostic value and determinants of a hypointense infarct core in T2-weighted cardiac magnetic resonance in acute reperfused ST-elevation- myocardial infarction,” Circulation, vol. 4, no. 4, pp. 354–362, 2011.
- N. R. Ghugre, V. Ramanan, M. Pop et al., “Quantitative tracking of edema, hemorrhage, and microvascular obstruction in subacute myocardial infarction in a porcine model by MRI,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 66, no. 4, pp. 1129–1141, 2011.
- A. Kumar, J. D. Green, J. M. Sykes et al., “Detection and quantification of myocardial reperfusion hemorrhage Using T2*-weighted CMR,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 4, no. 12, pp. 1274–1283, 2011.
- A. T. Yan, A. J. Shayne, K. A. Brown et al., “Characterization of the peri-infarct zone by contrast-enhanced cardiac magnetic resonance imaging is a powerful predictor of post-myocardial infarction mortality,” Circulation, vol. 114, no. 1, pp. 32–39, 2006.
- D. Andreu, A. Berruezo, J. T. Ortiz-Pérez et al., “Integration of 3D electroanatomic maps and magnetic resonance scar characterization into the navigation system to guide ventricular tachycardia ablation,” Circulation, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 674–683, 2011.
- J. A. McCrohon, J. C. C. Moon, S. K. Prasad et al., “Differentiation of heart failure related to dilated cardiomyopathy and coronary artery disease using gadolinium-enhanced cardiovascular magnetic resonance,” Circulation, vol. 108, no. 1, pp. 54–59, 2003.
- R. J. Kim, E. Wu, A. Rafael et al., “The use of contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging to identify reversible myocardial dysfunction,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 343, no. 20, pp. 1445–1453, 2000.
- E. Wellnhofer, A. Olariu, C. Klein et al., “Magnetic resonance low-dose dobutamine test is superior to SCAR quantification for the prediction of functional recovery,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 18, pp. 2172–2174, 2004.
- S. Kelle, S. D. Roes, C. Klein et al., “Prognostic value of myocardial infarct size and contractile reserve using magnetic resonance imaging,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 54, no. 19, pp. 1770–1777, 2009.
- S. Kelle, E. Nagel, A. Voss, et al., “A bi-center cardiovascular magnetic resonance prognosis study focusing on dobutamine wall motion and late gadolinium enhancement in 3138 consecutive patients,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 61, pp. 2310–2312, 2013.
- L. Jiang, D. Li, F. Yan, X. Dai, Y. Li, and L. Ma, “Evaluation of Takayasu arteritis activity by delayed contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging,” International Journal of Cardiology, vol. 155, no. 2, pp. 262–267, 2012.
- M. Y. Desai, J. H. Stone, T. K. F. Foo, D. B. Hellmann, J. A. C. Lima, and D. A. Bluemke, “Delayed contrast-enhanced MRI of the aortic wall in Takayasu's arteritis: initial experience,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 184, no. 5, pp. 1427–1431, 2005.
- S. Kelle, K. Schlendorf, G. A. Hirsch et al., “Gadolinium enhanced MR coronary vessel wall imaging at 3.0 Tesla,” Cardiology Research and Practice, vol. 1, no. 1, Article ID 856418, 2010.
- S. B. Yeon, A. Sabir, M. Clouse et al., “Delayed-enhancement cardiovascular magnetic resonance coronary artery wall imaging: comparison with multislice computed tomography and quantitative coronary angiography,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 50, no. 5, pp. 441–447, 2007.
- C. Schneeweis, B. Schnackenburg, M. Stuber, et al., “Delayed contrast-enhanced MRI of the coronary artery wall in takayasu arteritis,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, Article ID e50655, 2012.
- D. Maintz, M. Ozgun, A. Hoffmeier et al., “Selective coronary artery plaque visualization and differentiation by contrast-enhanced inversion prepared MRI,” European Heart Journal, vol. 27, no. 14, pp. 1732–1736, 2006.
- T. Dietrich, T. Hucko, R. Bourayou et al., “High resolution magnetic resonance imaging in atherosclerotic mice treated with ezetimibe,” International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 827–836, 2009.
- H. Mahrholdt, C. Goedecke, A. Wagner et al., “Cardiovascular magnetic resonance assessment of human myocarditis: a comparison to histology and molecular pathology,” Circulation, vol. 109, no. 10, pp. 1250–1258, 2004.
- H. Abdel-Aty, P. Boyé, A. Zagrosek et al., “Diagnostic performance of cardiovascular magnetic resonance in patients with suspected acute myocarditis: comparison of different approaches,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1815–1822, 2005.
- H. Baccouche, H. Mahrholdt, G. Meinhardt et al., “Diagnostic synergy of non-invasive cardiovascular magnetic resonance and invasive endomyocardial biopsy in troponin-positive patients without coronary artery disease,” European Heart Journal, vol. 30, no. 23, pp. 2869–2879, 2009.
- J. Laissy, F. Hyafil, L. J. Feldman et al., “Differentiating acute myocardial infarction from myocarditis: diagnostic value of early- and delayed-perfusion cardiac MR imaging,” Radiology, vol. 237, no. 1, pp. 75–82, 2005.
- A. Zagrosek, H. Abdel-Aty, P. Boyé et al., “Cardiac magnetic resonance monitors reversible and irreversible myocardial injury in myocarditis,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 131–138, 2009.
- S. Grn, J. Schumm, S. Greulich et al., “Long-term follow-up of biopsy-proven viral myocarditis: predictors of mortality and incomplete recovery,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 59, no. 18, pp. 1604–1615, 2012.
- E. Perugini, C. Rapezzi, T. Piva et al., “Non-invasive evaluation of the myocardial substrate of cardiac amyloidosis by gadolinium cardiac magnetic resonance,” Heart, vol. 92, no. 3, pp. 343–349, 2006.
- O. Bruder, A. Wagner, C. J. Jensen et al., “Myocardial scar visualized by cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging predicts major adverse events in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 56, no. 11, pp. 875–887, 2010.
- A. S. Adabag, B. J. Maron, E. Appelbaum et al., “Occurrence and frequency of arrhythmias in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in relation to delayed enhancement on cardiovascular magnetic resonance,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 51, no. 14, pp. 1369–1374, 2008.
- C. T. Sibley, R. A. Noureldin, N. Gai, et al., “T1 Mapping in cardiomyopathy at cardiac MR: comparison with endomyocardial biopsy,” Radiology, vol. 265, pp. 724–732, 2012.
- L. Iles, H. Pfluger, A. Phrommintikul et al., “Evaluation of diffuse myocardial fibrosis in heart failure with cardiac magnetic resonance contrast-enhanced T1 mapping,” Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 52, no. 19, pp. 1574–1580, 2008.
- D. R. Messroghli, S. Plein, D. M. Higgins et al., “Human myocardium: single-breath-hold MR T1 mapping with high spatial resolution—reproducibility study,” Radiology, vol. 238, no. 3, pp. 1004–1012, 2006.
- D. R. Messroghli, K. Walters, S. Plein et al., “Myocardial T1 mapping: application to patients with acute and chronic myocardial infarction,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 58, no. 1, pp. 34–40, 2007.
- N. Kawel, M. Nacif, A. Zavodni, et al., “T1 mapping of the myocardium: intra-individual assessment of the effect of field strength, cardiac cycle and variation by myocardial region,” Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance, vol. 14, article 27, 2012.
- J. Ruiz-Cabello, B. P. Barnett, P. A. Bottomley, and J. W. M. Bulte, “Fluorine (19F) MRS and MRI in biomedicine,” NMR in Biomedicine, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 114–129, 2011.
- D. J. Smith, E. S. Kornbrust, and T. A. Lane, “Phagocytosis of a fluorescently labeled perflubron emulsion by a human monocyte cell line,” Artificial Cells, Blood Substitutes, and Immobilization Biotechnology, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 1215–1221, 1994.
- U. Flogel, Z. Ding, H. Hardung et al., “In vivo monitoring of inflammation after cardiac and cerebral ischemia by fluorine magnetic resonance imaging,” Circulation, vol. 118, no. 2, pp. 140–148, 2008.
- T. K. Hitchens, Q. Ye, D. F. Eytan, J. M. Janjic, E. T. Ahrens, and C. Ho, “19F MRI detection of acute allograft rejection with in vivo perfluorocarbon labeling of immune cells,” Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, vol. 65, no. 4, pp. 1145–1153, 2011.