- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 676845, 11 pages
P-Glycoprotein-Activity Measurements in Multidrug Resistant Cell Lines: Single-Cell versus Single-Well Population Fluorescence Methods
1Laboratory of Ecotoxicology UPRES EA 3222, IFRMP 23, University of Le Havre, 76058 Le Havre Cedex, France
2Department of Genetic Medicine, Weill Cornell Medical College, New York, NY 10022, USA
3Stem Cell and Microenvironment Laboratory, Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar, Doha 24144, Qatar
Received 17 June 2013; Accepted 29 September 2013
Academic Editor: Beric Henderson
Copyright © 2013 Jennifer Pasquier et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Pluen, Y. Boucher, S. Ramanujan et al., “Role of tumor-host interactions in interstitial diffusion of macromolecules: cranial versus subcutaneous tumors,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 98, no. 8, pp. 4628–4633, 2001.
- B. J. Druker, C. L. Sawyers, H. Kantarjian et al., “Activity of a specific inhibitor of the BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase in the blast crisis of chronic myeloid leukemia and acute lymphoblastic leukemia with the Philadelphia chromosome,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 344, no. 14, pp. 1038–1042, 2001.
- J. L. Biedler and H. Riehm, “Cellular resistance to actinomycin D in Chinese hamster cells in vitro: cross-resistance, radioautographic, and cytogenetic studies,” Cancer Research, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1174–1184, 1970.
- J. A. Endicott and V. Ling, “The biochemistry of P-glycoprotein-mediated multidrug resistance,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 58, pp. 137–171, 1989.
- I. Bosch and J. Croop, “P-glycoprotein multidrug resistance and cancer,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1288, no. 2, pp. F37–F54, 1996.
- S. V. Ambudkar, S. Dey, C. A. Hrycyna, M. Ramachandra, I. Pastan, and M. M. Gottesman, “Biochemical, cellular, and pharmacological aspects of the multidrug transporter,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 39, pp. 361–398, 1999.
- S. V. Ambudkar, C. Kimchi-Sarfaty, Z. E. Sauna, and M. M. Gottesman, “P-glycoprotein: from genomics to mechanism,” Oncogene, vol. 22, no. 47, pp. 7468–7485, 2003.
- A. H. Schinkel, “The physiological function of drug-transporting P-glycoproteins,” Seminars in Cancer Biology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 161–170, 1997.
- I. B. Holland and M. A. Blight, “ABC-ATPases, adaptable energy generators fuelling transmembrane movement of a variety of molecules in organisms from bacteria to humans,” Journal of Molecular Biology, vol. 293, no. 2, pp. 381–399, 1999.
- D. Turk and G. Szakacs, “Relevance of multidrug resistance in the age of targeted therapy,” Current opinion in Drug Discovery & Development, vol. 12, pp. 246–252, 2009.
- B. J. Trock, F. Leonessa, and R. Clarke, “Multidrug resistance in breast cancer: a meta-analysis of MDR1/gp170 expression and its possible functional significance,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 89, no. 13, pp. 917–931, 1997.
- I. F. Faneyte, P. M. Kristel, and M. J. van de Vijver, “Determining MDR1/P-glycoprotein expression in breast cancer,” The International Journal of Cancer, vol. 93, pp. 114–122, 2001.
- W. T. Beck, T. M. Grogan, C. L. Willman et al., “Methods to detect P-glycoprotein-associated multidrug resistance in patients' tumors: consensus recommendations,” Cancer Research, vol. 56, no. 13, pp. 3010–3020, 1996.
- H. J. Broxterman, P. Sonneveld, N. Feller et al., “Quality control of multidrug resistance assays in adult acute leukemia: correlation between assays for P-glycoprotein expression and activity,” Blood, vol. 87, no. 11, pp. 4809–4816, 1996.
- J. Meesungnoen, J.-P. Jay-Gerin, and S. Mankhetkorn, “Relation between MDR1 mRNA levels, resistance factor, and the efficiency of P-glycoprotein-mediated efflux of pirarubicin in multidrug-resistant K562 sublines,” Canadian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 80, no. 11, pp. 1054–1063, 2002.
- J. Pasquier, L. Galas, C. Boulangé-Lecomte et al., “Different modalities of intercellular membrane exchanges mediate cell-to-cell P-glycoprotein transfers in MCF-7 breast cancer cells,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 287, no. 10, pp. 7374–7387, 2012.
- O. Legrand, G. Simonin, J. Y. Perrot, R. Zittoun, and J. P. Marie, “Pgp and MRP activities using calcein-AM are prognostic factors in adult acute myeloid leukemia patients,” Blood, vol. 91, no. 12, pp. 4480–4488, 1998.
- L. Homolya, Z. Hollo, U. A. Germann, I. Pastan, M. M. Gottesman, and B. Sarkadi, “Fluorescent cellular indicators are extruded by the multidrug resistance protein,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 29, pp. 21493–21496, 1993.
- M. Marin, H. Legros, A. Poret, F. Leboulenger, and F. Le Foll, “Cell responses to xenobiotics: comparison of MCF7 multi-drug- and mussel blood cell multi-xenobiotic-defense mechanisms,” Marine Environmental Research, vol. 58, no. 2–5, pp. 209–213, 2004.
- J. Pasquier, P. Magal, C. Boulangé-Lecomte, G. Webb, and F. Le Foll, “Consequences of cell-to-cell P-glycoprotein transfer on acquired multidrug resistance in breast cancer: a cell population dynamics model,” Biology Direct, vol. 6, article 5, 2011.
- D. G. Altman and J. M. Bland, “Comparison of methods of measuring blood pressure,” Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, vol. 40, no. 3, pp. 274–277, 1986.
- C. Maulard, J.-P. Marie, S. Delanian, and M. Housset, “Clinical effects on CA 15-3 level of cyclosporin A as a chemosensitiser in chemoresistant metastatic breast cancer,” European Journal of Cancer A, vol. 29, no. 3, p. 480, 1993.