- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 679463, 8 pages
Rapid Identification of Aldose Reductase Inhibitory Compounds from Perilla frutescens
1Department of Food Science and Nutrition, Hallym University, 1 Hallymdaehak-gil, Chuncheon, Gangwon-do 200-702, Republic of Korea
2Korea Institute of Science and Technology Information, Seoul 130-741, Republic of Korea
3Department of Center for Aging and Health Care, Hallym University, 1 Hallymdaehak-gil, Chuncheon, Gangwon-do 200-702, Republic of Korea
4Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Hallym University, 1 Hallymdaehak-gil, Chuncheon, Gangwon-do 200-702, Republic of Korea
5Institute of Natural Medicine, Hallym University, 1 Hallymdaehak-gil, Chuncheon, Gangwon-do 200-702, Republic of Korea
Received 23 April 2013; Accepted 11 September 2013
Academic Editor: Kota V. Ramana
Copyright © 2013 Ji Hun Paek et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. Brownlee, “Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications,” Nature, vol. 414, no. 6865, pp. 813–820, 2001.
- P. J. Oates and B. L. Mylari, “Aldose reductase inhibitors: therapeutic implications for diabetic complications,” Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs, vol. 8, no. 12, pp. 2095–2119, 1999.
- D. R. Tomlinson, E. J. Stevens, and L. T. Diemel, “Aldose reductase inhibitors and their potential for the treatment of diabetic complications,” Trends in Pharmacological Sciences, vol. 15, no. 8, pp. 293–297, 1994.
- R. L. Engerman and T. S. Kern, “Aldose reductase inhibition fails to prevent retinopathy in diabetic and galactosemic dogs,” Diabetes, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 820–825, 1993.
- A. Bhatnagar and S. K. Srivastava, “Aldose reductase: congenial and injurious profiles of an enigmatic enzyme,” Biochemical Medicine and Metabolic Biology, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 91–121, 1992.
- P. Raskin and J. Rosenstock, “Aldose reductase inhibitors and diabetic complications,” American Journal of Medicine, vol. 83, no. 2, pp. 298–306, 1987.
- T. J. Ha, J. H. Lee, M. H. Lee, et al., “Isolation and identification of phenolic compounds from the seeds of Perilla frutescens (L.) and their inhibitory activities against α-glucosidase and aldose reductase,” Food Chemistry, vol. 135, no. 3, pp. 1397–1403, 2012.
- J.-H. Liu, A. Steigel, E. Reininger, and R. Bauer, “Two new prenylated 3-benzoxepin derivatives as cyclooxygenase inhibitors from Perilla frutescens var. acuta,” Journal of Natural Products, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 403–405, 2000.
- H. Takeda, M. Tsuji, T. Matsumiya, and M. Kubo, “Identification of rosmarinic acid as a novel antidepressive substance in the leaves of Perilla frutescens Britton var. acuta Kudo (Perillae Herba),” Japanese Journal of Psychopharmacology, vol. 22, no. 1, pp. 15–22, 2002.
- K. N. Lee, H. H. Shin, D. S. Han et al., “Development of anticancer agents from Korean medicinal plants. Part 5. Cytotoxic activity of the butanol soluble fraction of Perilla frutescens against human skin melanoma cells,” SaengyakHakhoechi, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 264–270, 1997.
- Y. Nakamura, Y. Ohto, A. Murakami, and H. Ohigashi, “Superoxide scavenging activity of rosmarinic acid from Perilla frutescens britton var. acuta f. viridis,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 46, no. 11, pp. 4545–4550, 1998.
- H. Ueda, C. Yamazaki, and M. Yamazaki, “Luteolin as an anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic constituent of Perilla frutescens,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 25, no. 9, pp. 1197–1202, 2002.
- J. H. Chen, Z. H. Xia, and R. X. Tan, “High-performance liquid chromatographic analysis of bioactive triterpenes in Perilla frutescens,” Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 1175–1179, 2003.
- N. S. Kang and J. H. Lee, “Characterisation of phenolic phytochemicals and quality changes related to the harvest times from the leaves of Korean purple perilla (Perilla frutescens),” Food Chemistry, vol. 124, no. 2, pp. 556–562, 2011.
- Y. Peng, J. Ye, and J. Kong, “Determination of phenolic compounds in Perilla frutescens L. by capillary electrophoresis with electrochemical detection,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 53, no. 21, pp. 8141–8147, 2005.
- M. Öztürk, M. E. Duru, B. Ince, M. Harmandar, and G. Topçu, “A new rapid spectrophotometric method to determine the rosmarinic acid level in plant extracts,” Food Chemistry, vol. 123, no. 4, pp. 1352–1356, 2010.
- J. H. Zhang, T. D. Chung, and K. R. Oldenburg, “A simple statisticalprarameter for use in evaluation and validation of high troughputscreening assay,” Journal of Biomolecular Screening, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 67–73, 1999.
- S. Bollini, J. J. Herbst, G. T. Gaughan et al., “High-throughput fluorescence polarization method for identification of FKBP12 ligands,” Journal of Biomolecular Screening, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 526–530, 2002.
- Y. S. Lee, S. H. Kim, J. K. Kim et al., “Rapid identification and preparative isolation of antioxidant components in licorice,” Journal of Separation Science, vol. 33, no. 4-5, pp. 664–671, 2010.
- S. Hayman and J. H. Kinoshita, “Isolation and properties of lens aldose reductase,” The Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 240, pp. 877–882, 1965.
- Y. S. Lee, Y.-H. Kang, J.-Y. Jung et al., “Inhibitory constituents of aldose reductase in the fruiting body of Phellinus linteus,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 765–768, 2008.
- K. Kawanishi, H. Ueda, and M. Moriyasu, “Aldose reductase inhibitors from the nature,” Current Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 10, no. 15, pp. 1353–1374, 2003.
- J. Á. de la Fuente and S. Manzanaro, “Aldose reductase inhibitors from natural sources,” Natural Product Reports, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 243–251, 2003.
- M. N. Clifford, K. L. Johnston, S. Knight, and N. Kuhnert, “Hierarchical scheme for LC-MSn identification of chlorogenic acids,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 51, no. 10, pp. 2900–2911, 2003.
- R. J. Grayer, M. R. Eckert, N. C. Veitch et al., “The chemotaxonomic significance of two bioactive caffeic acid esters, nepetoidins A and B, in the Lamiaceae,” Phytochemistry, vol. 64, no. 2, pp. 519–528, 2003.
- M. B. Hossain, D. K. Rai, N. P. Brunton, A. B. Martin-Diana, and A. C. Barry-Ryan, “Characterization of phenolic composition in lamiaceae spices by LC-ESI-MS/MS,” Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, vol. 58, no. 19, pp. 10576–10581, 2010.
- Y. Ito, “Golden rules and pitfalls in selecting optimum conditions for high-speed counter-current chromatography,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1065, no. 2, pp. 145–168, 2005.
- H. Guzlek, P. L. Wood, and L. Janaway, “Performance comparison using the GUESS mixture to evaluate counter-current chromatography instruments,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1216, no. 19, pp. 4181–4186, 2009.
- W. Peng, T. Han, Y. Wang, W.-B. Xin, C.-J. Zheng, and L.-P. Qin, “Chemical constituents of the aerial part of Atractylodes macrocephala,” Chemistry of Natural Compounds, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 959–960, 2011.
- C. Dai, P. Liu, C. Liu, B. Wang, and R.-Y. Chen, “Studies on chemical constituents from moss Rhodobryum roseum II,” China Journal of Chinese Materia Medica, vol. 31, no. 13, pp. 1080–1082, 2006.
- H. Li, Y. Luo, Z. He, and G. Zhang, “Chemical constituents from Lonicera saccata,” Chinese Journal of Applied and Environmental Biology, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 188–191, 2007.
- M. Zhang, C. F. Zhang, and Z. T. Wang, “The chemical constituents of Ligularia pleurocaulis,” Acta Pharmaceutica Sinica, vol. 40, no. 6, pp. 529–532, 2005.
- X.-M. Wei, J.-K. Cheng, D.-L. Cheng, and L.-M. Gao, “Chemical constituents from Clinopodium urticifolium,” Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 1043–1049, 2004.
- T. Satake, K. Kamiya, Y. Saiki et al., “Studies on the constituents of fruits of Helicteres isora L.,” Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 47, no. 10, pp. 1444–1447, 1999.
- M. Biesaga and K. Pyrzynska, “Liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry studies of the phenolic compounds in honey,” Journal of Chromatography A, vol. 1216, no. 38, pp. 6620–6626, 2009.
- Z. J. Wang, Y. Y. Zhao, B. Wang, T. M. Ai, and Y. Y. Chen, “Depsides from Prunella vulgaris,” Chinese Chemical Letters, vol. 11, no. 11, pp. 997–1000, 2000.