- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 680767, 8 pages
Effects of Processing and Storage on Pediococcus pentosaceus SB83 in Vaginal Formulations: Lyophilized Powder and Tablets
1Centro de Biotecnologia e Química Fina (CBQF), Laboratório Associado, Escola Superior de Biotecnologia, Universidade Católica Portuguesa/Porto, Rua Dr. António Bernardino Almeida, 4200-072 Porto, Portugal
2Departamento de Ciências do Medicamento, Laboratório de Tecnologia Farmacêutica, Faculdade de Farmácia, Universidade do Porto, Rua de Jorge Viterbo Ferreira 228, 4050-313 Porto, Portugal
Received 5 April 2013; Accepted 4 June 2013
Academic Editor: Vicky Kett
Copyright © 2013 Sandra Borges et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- S. Boris and C. Barbés, “Role played by lactobacilli in controlling the population of vaginal pathogens,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 543–546, 2000.
- M. A. Farage, K. W. Miller, and J. D. Sobel, “Dynamics of the vaginal ecosystem-hormonal influences,” Infectious Diseases, vol. 3, pp. 1–15, 2010.
- L. Jin, L. Tao, S. I. Pavlova et al., “Species diversity and relative abundance of vaginal lactic acid bacteria from women in Uganda and Korea,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 102, no. 4, pp. 1107–1115, 2007.
- J. R. Schwebke, “Role of vaginal flora as a barrier to HIV acquisition,” Current Infectious Disease Reports, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 152–155, 2001.
- C. Charlier, M. Cretenet, S. Even, and Y. le Loir, “Interactions between Staphylococcus aureus and lactic acid bacteria: an old story with new perspectives,” International Journal of Food Microbiology, vol. 131, no. 1, pp. 30–39, 2009.
- G. Reid and A. Bocking, “The potential for probiotics to prevent bacterial vaginosis and preterm labor,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 189, no. 4, pp. 1202–1208, 2003.
- M. Wilks, R. Wiggins, A. Whiley et al., “Identification and H2O2 production of vaginal lactobacilli from pregnant women at high risk of preterm birth and relation with outcome,” Journal of Clinical Microbiology, vol. 42, no. 2, pp. 713–717, 2004.
- L. Donati, A. di Vico, M. Nucci et al., “Vaginal microbial flora and outcome of pregnancy,” Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics, vol. 281, no. 4, pp. 589–600, 2010.
- S. Cribby, M. Taylor, and G. Reid, “Vaginal microbiota and the use of probiotics,” Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Infectious Diseases, vol. 2008, 9 pages, 2008.
- K. C. Anukam, “The potential role of probiotics in reducing poverty-associated infections in developing countries,” Journal of Infection in Developing Countries, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 81–83, 2007.
- T. Iannitti and B. Palmieri, “Therapeutical use of probiotic formulations in clinical practice,” Clinical Nutrition, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 701–725, 2010.
- M. Bolton, A. van der Straten, and C. R. Cohen, “Probiotics: potential to prevent HIV and sexually transmitted infections in women,” Sexually Transmitted Diseases, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 214–225, 2008.
- S. Garg, D. Goldman, M. Krumme, L. C. Rohan, S. Smoot, and D. R. Friend, “Advances in development, scale-up and manufacturing of microbicide gels, films, and tablets,” Antiviral Research, vol. 88, supplement, pp. S19–S29, 2010.
- S. Borges, J. Barbosa, J. Silva, and P. Teixeira, “Characterization of a bacteriocin of Pediococcus pentosaceus SB83 and its potential for vaginal application,” Anti-Infective Agents, vol. 11, no. 2, 2013.
- S. Borges, J. Barbosa, J. Silva, and P. Teixeira, “Evaluation of characteristics of Pediococcus spp. to be used as a vaginal probiotic,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, 2013.
- L. Maggi, P. Mastromarino, S. Macchia et al., “Technological and biological evaluation of tablets containing different strains of lactobacilli for vaginal administration,” European Journal of Pharmaceutics and Biopharmaceutics, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 389–395, 2000.
- S. Klayraung, H. Viernstein, and S. Okonogi, “Development of tablets containing probiotics: effects of formulation and processing parameters on bacterial viability,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 370, no. 1-2, pp. 54–60, 2009.
- D. H. Owen and D. F. Katz, “A vaginal fluid simulant,” Contraception, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 1999.
- E. Baloglu, Z. A. Senyigit, S. Y. Karavana, and A. Bernkop-Schnürch, “Strategies to prolong the intravaginal residence time of drug delivery systems,” Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 312–336, 2009.
- P. Mastromarino, P. Brigidi, S. Macchia et al., “Characterization and selection of vaginal Lactobacillus strains for the preparation of vaginal tablets,” Journal of Applied Microbiology, vol. 93, no. 5, pp. 884–893, 2002.
- P.-G. Larsson, B. Stray-Pedersen, K. R. Ryttig, and S. Larsen, “Human lactobacilli as supplementation of clindamycin to patients with bacterial vaginosis reduce the recurrence rate; a 6-month, double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study,” BMC Women's Health, vol. 8, article 3, 2008.
- S. Ehrström, K. Daroczy, E. Rylander et al., “Lactic acid bacteria colonization and clinical outcome after probiotic supplementation in conventionally treated bacterial vaginosis and vulvovaginal candidiasis,” Microbes and Infection, vol. 12, no. 10, pp. 691–699, 2010.
- G. G. G. Donders, T. Caeyers, P. Tydhof, I. Riphagen, T. van den Bosch, and G. Bellen, “Comparison of two types of dipsticks to measure vaginal pH in clinical practice,” European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, vol. 134, no. 2, pp. 220–224, 2007.
- C. Tevi-Bénissan, L. Bélec, M. Lévy et al., “In vivo semen-associated pH neutralization of cervicovaginal secretions,” Clinical and Diagnostic Laboratory Immunology, vol. 4, no. 3, pp. 367–374, 1997.
- M. R. Fazeli, T. Toliyat, N. Samadi, S. Hajjaran, and H. Jamalifar, “Viability of Lactobacillus acidophilus in various vaginal tablet formulations,” Daru, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 172–177, 2006.
- S. Kaewnopparat and N. Kaewnopparat, “Formulation and evaluation of vaginal suppositories containing Lactobacillus,” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 55, pp. 25–28, 2009.
- A. S. Carvalho, J. Silva, P. Ho, P. Teixeira, F. X. Malcata, and P. Gibbs, “Relevant factors for the preparation of freeze-dried lactic acid bacteria,” International Dairy Journal, vol. 14, no. 10, pp. 835–847, 2004.
- A. R. Delgado, “Listeriosis in pregnancy,” Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 255–259, 2008.
- K. M. Posfay-Barbe and E. R. Wald, “Listeriosis,” Seminars in Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 228–233, 2009.
- H. DiMaio, “Listeria infection in women,” Primary Care Update for Ob/Gyns, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 40–45, 2000.
- S. F. Borges, J. G. L. Silva, and P. C. M. Teixeira, “Survival and biofilm formation of Listeria monocytogenes in simulated vaginal fluid: influence of pH and strain origin,” FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 315–320, 2011.
- G. Zárate and M. E. Nader-Macias, “Influence of probiotic vaginal lactobacilli on in vitro adhesion of urogenital pathogens to vaginal epithelial cells,” Letters in Applied Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 2, pp. 174–180, 2006.
- M. S. J. Tomás and M. E. Nader-Macías, “Effect of a medium simulating vaginal fluid on the growth and expression of beneficial characteristics of potentially probiotic lactobacilli,” Communicating Current Research and Educational Topics and Trends in Applied Microbiology, vol. 2, pp. 732–739, 2007.
- E. V. Pingitore, E. Bru, and M. E. Nader-Macías, “Effect of lyophilization and storage temperature on the activity of salivaricin CRL, 1328, a potential bioactive ingredient of a urogenital probiotic product,” Journal of General and Applied Microbiology, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 71–81, 2012.
- S. Borges, J. Silva, and P. Teixeira, “Survival and biofilm formation by Group B streptococci in simulated vaginal fluid at different pHs,” Antonie van Leeuwenhoek, vol. 101, no. 3, pp. 677–682, 2012.
- R. Hemalatha, P. Mastromarino, B. A. Ramalaxmi, N. V. Balakrishna, and S. Sesikeran, “Effectiveness of vaginal tablets containing lactobacilli versus pH tablets on vaginal health and inflammatory cytokines: a randomized, double-blind study,” European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases, vol. 31, no. 11, pp. 3097–3105, 2012.