- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 682849, 7 pages
Reproducibility in Nerve Morphometry: Comparison between Methods and among Observers
1Department of Neurosciences and Behavioral Neurosciences, School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, 14049-900 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
2Department of Surgery and Anatomy, School of Medicine of Ribeirão Preto, University of São Paulo, Avenida Bandeirantes 3900, 14049-900 Ribeirão Preto, SP, Brazil
Received 13 April 2013; Revised 23 May 2013; Accepted 24 May 2013
Academic Editor: Levent Sarıkcıoğlu
Copyright © 2013 Antônio Paulo da Costa Bilego Neto et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. Reith, “Relevance of morphometry in pathology: with special emphasis on cancer-related studies,” Acta Anatomica, vol. 111, article 124, 1981.
- I. R. Zimmerman, J. L. Karnes, P. C. O'Brien, and P. J. Dyck, “Imaging system for nerve and fiber tract morphometry: components, approaches, performance, and results,” Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 409–419, 1980.
- G. Vita, M. Santoro, G. Trombetta, L. Leonardi, and C. Messina, “A computer-assisted automatic method for myelinated nerve fiber morphometry,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 85, no. 1, pp. 18–22, 1992.
- R. N. Auer, “Automated nerve fibre size and myelin sheath measurement using microcomputer-based digital image analysis: theory, method and results,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 51, no. 2, pp. 229–238, 1994.
- D. A. Hunter, A. Moradzadeh, E. L. Whitlock et al., “Binary imaging analysis for comprehensive quantitative histomorphometry of peripheral nerve,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 166, no. 1, pp. 116–124, 2007.
- A. P. D. D. Silva, C. E. R. Jordão, and V. P. S. Fazan, “Peripheral nerve morphometry: comparison between manual and semi-automated methods in the analysis of a small nerve,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 159, no. 1, pp. 153–157, 2007.
- E. Romero, O. Cuisenaire, J. F. Denef, J. Delbeke, B. Macq, and C. Veraart, “Automatic morphometry of nerve histological sections,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 111–122, 2000.
- F. Urso-Baiarda and A. O. Grobbelaar, “Practical nerve morphometry,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 156, no. 1-2, pp. 333–341, 2006.
- A. Jeronimo, C. A. Domingues Jeronimo, O. A. Rodrigues Filho, L. S. Sanada, and V. P. Sassoli Fazan, “Microscopic anatomy of the sural nerve in the postnatal developing rat: a longitudinal and lateral symmetry study,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 93–99, 2005.
- A. Jeronimo, C. A. D. Jeronimo, O. A. R. Filho, L. S. Sanada, and V. P. S. Fazan, “A morphometric study on the longitudinal and lateral symmetry of the sural nerve in mature and aging female rats,” Brain Research, vol. 1222, pp. 51–60, 2008.
- W. A. H. Rushton, “A theory of the effects of fiber size in medullated nerve,” The Journal of Physiology, vol. 115, pp. 101–122, 1951.
- R. S. Smith and Z. J. Koles, “Myelinated nerve fibers: computed effect of myelin thickness on conduction velocity,” The American Journal of Physiology, vol. 219, no. 5, pp. 1256–1258, 1970.
- P. Campadelli, C. Gangai, and F. Pasquale, “Automated morphometric analysis in peripheral neuropathies,” Computers in Biology and Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 147–156, 1999.
- H. H. Donaldson and G. W. Hoke, “On the areas of axis cylinder and medullary sheath as seen in cross sections of the spinal nerves in vertebrates,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 15, pp. 1–16, 1905.
- J. P. Fraher, “Myelin-axon relationships in the rat phrenic nerve: longitudinal variation and lateral asymmetry,” Journal of Comparative Neurology, vol. 323, no. 4, pp. 551–557, 1992.
- H. Adhami, K. H. Sawatzky, and J. Hornung, “Morphometric studies on the relationship between myelin sheath and axon area in the sciatic nerve of adult rats,” Anatomischer Anzeiger, vol. 140, no. 1-2, pp. 52–61, 1976.
- V. P. Sassoli Fazan, H. C. Salgado, G. C. dos Reis, and A. A. Barreira, “Relation between myelin area and axon diameter in the aortic depressor nerve of spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 148, no. 2, pp. 130–136, 2005.
- J. M. Jacobs and S. Love, “Qualitative and quantitative morphology of human sural nerve at different ages,” Brain, vol. 108, no. 4, pp. 897–924, 1985.
- R. L. L. A. Schellens, B. K. van Veen, A. A. W. M. Gabreels-Festen, S. L. H. Notermans, M. A. van't Hof, and D. F. Stegeman, “A statistical approach to fiber diameter distribution in human sural nerve,” Muscle and Nerve, vol. 16, no. 12, pp. 1342–1350, 1993.
- V. Chentanez, S. Agthong, T. Huanmanop, S. Pairoh, and A. Kaewsema, “Morphometric analysis of the human superficial radial nerve,” Anatomical Science International, vol. 85, no. 3, pp. 167–170, 2010.
- A. L. C. R. D. Oliveira, V. P. S. Fazan, W. Marques Jr., and A. A. Barreira, “Dorsal cutaneous branch of the ulnar nerve: a light and electron microscopy histometric study,” Journal of the Peripheral Nervous System, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 98–101, 2011.
- A. K. Sharma, S. Bajada, and P. K. Thomas, “Age changes in the tibial and plantar nerves of the rat,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 130, no. 2, pp. 417–428, 1980.
- D. Ceballos, J. Cuadras, E. Verdú, and X. Navarro, “Morphometric and ultrastructural changes with ageing in mouse peripheral nerve,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 195, no. 4, pp. 563–576, 1999.
- A. P. Santos, C. A. Suaid, V. P. S. Fazan, and A. A. Barreira, “Microscopic anatomy of brachial plexus branches in wistar rats,” Anatomical Record, vol. 290, no. 5, pp. 477–485, 2007.
- R. Saxod, S. Torch, A. Vila, A. Laurent, and P. Stoebner, “The density of myelinated fibres is related to the fascicle diameter in human superficial peroneal nerve. Statistical study of 41 normal samples,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 49–64, 1985.
- Z. Cai, K. Cash, P. D. Thompson, and P. C. Blumbergs, “Accuracy of sampling methods in morphometric studies of human sural nerves,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 181–186, 2002.
- N. T. M. S. Lima, V. P. S. Fazan, J. F. Colafêmina, and A. A. Barreira, “Recurrent laryngeal nerve post-natal development in rats,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 165, no. 1, pp. 18–24, 2007.
- A. C. Licursi de Alcântara, H. C. Salgado, and V. P. Sassoli Fazan, “Morphology and morphometry of the vagus nerve in male and female spontaneously hypertensive rats,” Brain Research, vol. 1197, pp. 170–180, 2008.
- S. Torch, P. Stoebner, Y. Usson, G. Drouet D'Aubigny, and R. Saxod, “There is no simple adequate sampling scheme for estimating the myelinated fibre size distribution in human peripheral nerve: a statistical ultrastructural study,” Journal of Neuroscience Methods, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 149–164, 1989.
- G. C. W. de Ruiter, M. J. A. Malessy, A. O. Alaid et al., “Misdirection of regenerating motor axons after nerve injury and repair in the rat sciatic nerve model,” Experimental Neurology, vol. 211, no. 2, pp. 339–350, 2008.
- A. A. F. Sima, M. B. Brown, A. Prashar, S. Chakrabarti, C. Laudadio, and D. A. Greene, “The reproducibility and sensitivity of sural nerve morphometry in the assessment of diabetic peripheral polyneuropathy,” Diabetologia, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 560–569, 1992.