- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 684930, 7 pages
Sonodynamic Excitation of Rose Bengal for Eradication of Gram-Positive and Gram-Negative Bacteria
1Department of Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology and Materials, Ariel University Center of Samaria, 40700 Ariel, Israel
2The Mina and Everard Goodman Faculty of Life Sciences, Bar-Ilan University, 52900 Ramat-Gan, Israel
Received 24 July 2012; Revised 26 August 2012; Accepted 24 September 2012
Academic Editor: Tim Maisch
Copyright © 2013 Faina Nakonechny et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Maisch, “Anti-microbial photodynamic therapy: useful in the future?” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 83–91, 2007.
- T. Maisch, “A new strategy to destroy antibiotic resistant microorganisms: antimicrobial photodynamic treatment,” Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 974–983, 2009.
- I. E. Kochevar, C. R. Lambert, M. C. Lynch, and A. C. Tedesco, “Comparison of photosensitized plasma membrane damage caused by singlet oxygen and free radicals,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1280, no. 2, pp. 223–230, 1996.
- I. J. MacDonald and T. J. Dougherty, “Basic principles of photodynamic therapy,” Journal of Porphyrins and Phthalocyanines, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 105–129, 2001.
- T. Maisch, R. M. Szeimies, G. Jori, and C. Abels, “Antibacterial photodynamic therapy in dermatology,” Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences, vol. 3, no. 10, pp. 907–917, 2004.
- S. Yano, S. Hirohara, M. Obata et al., “Current states and future views in photodynamic therapy,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 46–67, 2011.
- K. Plaetzer, T. Kiesslich, T. Verwanger, and B. Krammer, “The modes of cell death induced by PDT: an overview,” Medical Laser Application, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 7–19, 2003.
- J. Berlanda, T. Kiesslich, V. Engelhardt, B. Krammer, and K. Plaetzer, “Comparative in vitro study on the characteristics of different photosensitizers employed in PDT,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 100, no. 3, pp. 173–180, 2010.
- M. Wainwright, “Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy (PACT),” Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 13–28, 1998.
- C. M. Cassidy, M. M. Tunney, P. A. McCarron, and R. F. Donnelly, “Drug delivery strategies for photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy: from benchtop to clinical practice,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 71–80, 2009.
- K. O'Riordan, O. E. Akilov, and T. Hasan, “The potential for photodynamic therapy in the treatment of localized infections,” Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 247–262, 2005.
- P. Meisel and T. Kocher, “Photodynamic therapy for periodontal diseases: state of the art,” Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology B, vol. 79, no. 2, pp. 159–170, 2005.
- T. Dai, Y. Y. Huang, and M. R. Hamblin, “Photodynamic therapy for localized infections—state of the art,” Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy, vol. 6, no. 3-4, pp. 170–188, 2009.
- A. Tavares, C. M. B. Carvalho, M. A. Faustino, et al., “Antimicrobial photodynamic therapy: study of bacterial recovery viability and potential development of resistance after treatment,” Marine Drugs, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 91–105, 2010.
- L. Brancaleon and H. Moseley, “Laser and non-laser light sources for photodynamic therapy,” Lasers in Medical Science, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 173–186, 2002.
- A. Pieslinger, K. Plaetzer, C. B. Oberdanner et al., “Characterization of a simple and homogeneous irradiation device based on light-emitting diodes: a possible low-cost supplement to conventional light sources for photodynamic treatment,” Medical Laser Application, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 277–283, 2006.
- O. Ceburkov and H. Gollnick, “Photodynamic therapy in dermatology,” European Journal of Dermatology, vol. 10, no. 7, pp. 568–576, 2000.
- R. Laptev, M. Nisnevitch, G. Siboni, Z. Malik, and M. A. Firer, “Intracellular chemiluminescence activates targeted photodynamic destruction of leukaemic cells,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 95, no. 2, pp. 189–196, 2006.
- F. Nakonechny, M. A. Firer, Y. Nitzan, and M. Nisnevitch, “Intracellular antimicrobial photodynamic therapy: a novel technique for efficient eradication of pathogenic bacteria,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 86, no. 6, pp. 1350–1355, 2010.
- F. Nakonechny, M. Nisnevitch, Y. Nitzan, and M. A. Firer, “New techniques in antimicrobial photodynamic therapy: scope of application and overcoming drug resistance in nosocomial infections,” in Science Against Microbial Pathogens: Communicating Current Research and Technological Advances, Microbiology Book Series, no. 3, Formatex Research Center, Spain, 2011.
- S. Carpenter, M. J. Fehr, G. A. Kraus, and J. W. Petrich, “Chemiluminescent activation of the antiviral activity of hypericin: a molecular flashlight,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 91, no. 25, pp. 12273–12277, 1994.
- I. Rosenthal, J. Z. Sostaric, and P. Riesz, “Sonodynamic therapy—a review of the synergistic effects of drugs and ultrasound,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 349–363, 2004.
- P. Wang, L. Xiao, X. Wang, X. Li, and Q. Liu, “Sonodynamic effects of protoporphyrin IX disodium salt on Ehrlich ascetic tumor cells,” Ultrasonics, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 634–638, 2010.
- X. Zhao, Q. Liu, W. Tang et al., “Damage effects of protoporphyrin IX—sonodynamic therapy on the cytoskeletal F-actin of Ehrlich ascites carcinoma cells,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 50–56, 2009.
- Y. He, D. Xing, G. Yan, and K. I. Ueda, “FCLA chemiluminescence from sonodynamic action in vitro and in vivo,” Cancer Letters, vol. 182, no. 2, pp. 141–145, 2002.
- S. I. Umemura, N. Yumita, K. Umemura, and R. Nishigaki, “Sonodynamically induced effect of rose bengal on isolated sarcoma 180 cells,” Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 389–393, 1999.
- A. Juarranz, J. Espada, J. C. Stockert et al., “Photodamage induced by Zinc(II)-phthalocyanine to microtubules, actin, alpha-actinin and keratin of HeLa cells.,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 73, no. 3, pp. 283–289, 2001.
- L. L. He, X. Wang, B. Liu, J. Wang, Y. G. Sun, and S. K. Xu, “Study on the sonodynamic activity and mechanism of promethazine hydrochloride by multi-spectroscopic techniques,” Spectrochimica Acta. Part A, vol. 81, pp. 698–705, 2011.
- N. Yumita, K. Sasaki, S. I. Umemura, A. Yukawa, and R. Nishigaki, “Sonodynamically induced antitumor effect of gallium-porphyrin complex by focused ultrasound on experimental kidney tumor,” Cancer Letters, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 79–86, 1997.
- K. Tachibana, L. B. Feril, and Y. Ikeda-Dantsuji, “Sonodynamic therapy,” Ultrasonics, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 253–259, 2008.
- V. Mišík and P. Riesz, “Free radical intermediates in sonodynamic therapy,” Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, vol. 899, pp. 335–348, 2000.
- T. Yu, Z. Wang, and T. J. Mason, “A review of research into the uses of low level ultrasound in cancer therapy,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 95–103, 2004.
- N. Yumita, R. Nishigaki, K. Umemura, and S. Umemura, “Synergistic effect of ultrasound and hematoporphyrin on sarcoma 180,” Japanese Journal of Cancer Research, vol. 81, no. 3, pp. 304–308, 1990.
- X. Ma, H. Pan, G. Wu, Z. Yang, and J. Yi, “Ultrasound may be exploited for the treatment of microbial diseases,” Medical Hypotheses, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 18–19, 2009.
- T. N. Demidova and M. R. Hamblin, “Photodynamic inactivation of Bacillus spores, mediated by phenothiazinium dyes,” Applied and Environmental Microbiology, vol. 71, no. 11, pp. 6918–6925, 2005.
- M. Schafer, C. Schmitz, R. Facius, et al., “Systematic study of parameters influencing the action of Rose Bengal with visible light on bacterial cells: comparison between the biological effect and singlet-oxygen production,” Photochemistry and Photobiology, vol. 71, pp. 514–523, 2000.
- M. N. Usacheva, M. C. Teichert, and M. A. Biel, “Comparison of the methylene blue and toluidine blue photobactericidal efficacy against gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms,” Lasers in Surgery and Medicine, vol. 29, no. 2, pp. 165–173, 2001.
- M. Nisnevitch, F. Nakonechny, and Y. Nitzan, “Photodynamic antimicrobial chemotherapy by liposome-encapsulated water-soluble photosensitizers,” Russian Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 363–369, 2010.
- F. Nakonechny, Y. Nitzan, and M. Nisnevitch, “Olive oil based delivery of photosensitizes for bacterial eradication,” in Olive Oil, InTech, Rijeka, Croatia, 2012.
- W. Hiraoka, H. Honda, L. B. Feril, N. Kudo, and T. Kondo, “Comparison between sonodynamic effect and photodynamic effect with photosensitizers on free radical formation and cell killing,” Ultrasonics Sonochemistry, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 535–542, 2006.
- S. I. Hatanaka, H. Mitome, K. Yasui, and S. Hayashi, “Single-bubble sonochemiluminescence in aqueous luminol solutions,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, vol. 124, no. 35, pp. 10250–10251, 2002.
- P. D. Sharma, “Microbiology,” Rastogy Publications, New Delphy, India, 2007.
- M. N. Jones, M. Kaszuba, K. J. Hill, Y. H. Song, and J. E. Creeth, “The use of phospholipid liposomes for targeting to oral and skin-associated bacteria,” Journal of Drug Targeting, vol. 2, no. 5, pp. 381–389, 1994.
- M. N. Jones, M. Kaszuba, M. D. Reboiras et al., “The targeting of phospholipid liposomes to bacteria,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1196, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 1994.
- A. M. Robinson, J. E. Creeth, and M. N. Jones, “The specificity and affinity of immunoliposome targeting to oral bacteria,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1369, no. 2, pp. 278–286, 1998.
- P. Fekkes and A. J. M. Driessen, “Protein targeting to the bacterial cytoplasmic membrane,” Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews, vol. 63, no. 1, pp. 161–173, 1999.
- A. S. Manjappa, K. R. Chaudhari, M. P. Venkataraju et al., “Antibody derivatization and conjugation strategies: application in preparation of stealth immunoliposome to target chemotherapeutics to tumor,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 150, no. 1, pp. 2–22, 2011.
- J. H. Ryu, H. Koo, I. C. Sun, et al., “Tumor-targeting multi-functional nanoparticles for theragnosis: new paradigm for cancer therapy,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews. In press.
- H. A. Franks, Q. Wang, and P. M. Patel, “New anticancer immunotherapies,” Anticancer Research, vol. 32, no. 7, pp. 2439–2453, 2012.
- S. Cohen, R. Cahan, E. Ben-Dov, M. Nisnevitch, A. Zaritsky, and M. A. Firer, “Specific targeting to murine myeloma cells of Cyt1Aa toxin from Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 282, no. 39, pp. 28301–28308, 2007.
- K. Umemura, N. Yumita, R. Nishigaki, and S. I. Umemura, “Sonodynamically induced antitumor effect of pheophorbide a,” Cancer Letters, vol. 102, no. 1-2, pp. 151–157, 1996.