- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 685174, 9 pages
The Influence of Hemocoagulation Disorders on the Development of Posttraumatic Cerebral Infarction and Outcome in Patients with Moderate or Severe Head Trauma
1Department of Neurosurgery, Shanghai 6th People Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, 600 Yishan Road, Shanghai 200233, China
2Department of Neurology, Shanghai 6th People Hospital, Shanghai Jiaotong University, Shanghai 200233, China
Received 4 April 2013; Accepted 2 July 2013
Academic Editor: Alessandro Landi
Copyright © 2013 Hao Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- G. A. Alexiou, D. Pahatouridis, and S. Voulgaris, “Coagulopathy in traumatic brain injury,” Injury, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 113–114, 2011.
- C. H. Halpern, P. M. Reilly, A. R. Turtz, and S. C. Stein, “Traumatic coagulopathy: the effect of brain injury,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 25, no. 8, pp. 997–1001, 2008.
- R. Marino, R. Gasparotti, L. Pinelli et al., “Posttraumatic cerebral infarction in patients with moderate or severe head trauma,” Neurology, vol. 67, no. 7, pp. 1165–1171, 2006.
- I. Tawil, D. M. Stein, S. E. Mirvis, and T. M. Scalea, “Posttraumatic cerebral infarction: incidence, outcome, and risk factors,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 849–853, 2008.
- H.-L. Tian, Z. Geng, Y.-H. Cui et al., “Risk factors for posttraumatic cerebral infarction in patients with moderate or severe head trauma,” Neurosurgical Review, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 431–436, 2008.
- C. B. Allard, S. Scarpelini, S. G. Rhind et al., “Abnormal coagulation tests are associated with progression of traumatic intracranial hemorrhage,” The Journal of trauma, vol. 67, no. 5, pp. 959–967, 2009.
- H.-L. Tian, H. Chen, B.-S. Wu et al., “D-dimer as a predictor of progressive hemorrhagic injury in patients with traumatic brain injury: analysis of 194 cases,” Neurosurgical Review, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 359–365, 2010.
- B. M. Selladurai, M. Vickneswaran, S. Duraisamy, and M. Atan, “Coagulopathy in acute head injury—a study of its role as a prognostic indicator,” British Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 11, no. 5, pp. 398–404, 1997.
- J.-R. Kuo, T.-J. Chou, and C.-C. Chio, “Coagulopathy as a parameter to predict the outcome in head injury patients—analysis of 61 cases,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 11, no. 7, pp. 710–714, 2004.
- V. Saggar, R. S. Mittal, and M. C. Vyas, “Hemostatic abnormalities in patients with closed head injuries and their role in predicting early mortality,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 26, no. 10, pp. 1665–1668, 2009.
- T. Lustenberger, P. Talving, L. Kobayashi et al., “Time course of coagulopathy in isolated severe traumatic brain injury,” Injury, vol. 41, no. 9, pp. 924–928, 2010.
- S. E. Mirvis, A. L. Wolf, Y. Numaguchi, G. Corradino, and J. N. Joslyn, “Posttraumatic cerebral infarction diagnosed by CT: prevalence, origin, and outcome,” American Journal of Neuroradiology, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 355–360, 1990.
- B. Jennett and M. Bond, “Assessment of outcome after severe brain damage. A practical scale,” The Lancet, vol. I, no. 7905, pp. 480–484, 1975.
- F.B. Taylor Jr., C.-H. Toh, W. K. Hoots, H. Wada, and M. Levi, “Towards definition, clinical and laboratory criteria, and a scoring system for disseminated intravascular coagulation,” Thrombosis and Haemostasis, vol. 86, no. 5, pp. 1327–1330, 2001.
- P. Cauchle, C. Cauchie, K. Z. Boudjeltia et al., “Diagnostic and prognosis of overt disseminated intravascular coagulation in a general hospital—meaning of the isth score system, fibrin monomers, and lipoprotein-C-reactive protein complex formation,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 81, no. 6, pp. 414–419, 2006.
- K. Okabayashi, H. Wada, S. Ohta, H. Shiku, T. Nobori, and K. Maruyama, “Hemostatic markers and the sepsis-related organ failure assessment score in patients with disseminated intravascular coagulation in an intensive care unit,” American Journal of Hematology, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 225–229, 2004.
- A. Server, R. Dullerud, M. Haakonsen, P. H. Nakstad, U. L.-H. Johnsen, and B. Magnæs, “Post-traumatic cerebral infarction: neuroimaging findings, etiology and outcome,” Acta Radiologica, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 254–260, 2001.
- R. L. Sacco, “Risk factors and outcomes for ischemic stroke,” Neurology, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. S10–S14, 1995.
- M. Ivanusa and Z. Ivanusa, “Risk factors and in-hospital outcomes in stroke and myocardial infarction patients,” BMC Public Health, vol. 4, article 26, pp. 1–7, 2004.
- S. P. Waddy, “Disorders of coagulation in stroke,” Seminars in Neurology, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 57–64, 2006.
- M. M. Carrick, A. H. Tyroch, C. A. Youens et al., “Subsequent development of thrombocytopenia and coagulopathy in moderate and severe head injury: support for serial laboratory examination,” Journal of Trauma, vol. 58, no. 4, pp. 725–730, 2005.
- M. Nekludov, J. Antovic, S. Bredbacka, and M. Blombäck, “Coagulation abnormalities associated with severe isolated traumatic brain injury: cerebral arterio-venous differences in coagulation and inflammatory markers,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 174–180, 2007.
- M. Nekludov, B.-M. Bellander, M. Blombäck, and H. N. Wallen, “Platelet dysfunction in patients with severe traumatic brain injury,” Journal of Neurotrauma, vol. 24, no. 11, pp. 1699–1706, 2007.
- G. Lippi and G. Cervellin, “Disseminated intravascular coagulation in trauma injuries,” Seminars in Thrombosis and Hemostasis, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 378–387, 2010.
- K. Lozance, I. Dejanov, and M. Mircevski, “Role of coagulopathy in patients with head trauma,” Journal of Clinical Neuroscience, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 394–398, 1998.
- A. Chiaretti, P. Pezzotti, J. Mestrovic et al., “The influence of hemocoagulative disorders on the outcome of children with head injury,” Pediatric Neurosurgery, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 131–137, 2001.