- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 685196, 4 pages
Toxocara Seroprevalence in Patients with Idiopathic Parkinson's Disease: Chance Association or Coincidence?
1School of Health, Adiyaman University, 02040 Adiyaman, Turkey
2Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine, Inonu University, 44280 Malatya, Turkey
3Department of Neurology, Faculty of Medicine, Firat University, 23119 Elazig, Turkey
4Department of Biostatistics, Faculty of Medicine, Ankara University, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
Received 10 April 2012; Accepted 23 July 2012
Academic Editor: Luis I. Terrazas
Copyright © 2013 Tuncay Çelik et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. B. Koprich, T. H. Johnston, P. Huot, M. G. Reyes, M. Espinosa, and J. M. Brotchie, “Progressive neurodegeneration or endogenous compensation in an animal model of Parkinson's disease produced by decreasing doses of alpha-synuclein,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 3, Article ID e17698, 2011.
- M. Takahashi and T. Yamada, “Viral etiology for Parkinson's disease—a possible role of influenza A virus infection,” Japanese Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 52, no. 3, pp. 89–98, 1999.
- T. Celik, O. Kamisli, C. Babur, et al., “Is there a relationship between Toxoplasma gondii infection and idiopathic Parkinson's disease?” Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases, vol. 42, no. 8, pp. 604–608, 2010.
- O. Miman, O. Y. Kusbeci, O. C. Aktepe, and Z. Cetinkaya, “The probable relation between Toxoplasma gondii and Parkinson's disease,” Neuroscience Letters, vol. 475, no. 3, pp. 129–131, 2010.
- C. W. Olanow, P. Jenner, and N. A. Tatton, “Neurodegeneration and Parkinson’s Disease,” in Parkinson Disease and Movement Disorders, J. Jankovic and E. Tolosa, Eds., pp. 67–103, Williams-Wilkins, 3rd edition, 1998.
- J. Finsterer and H. Auer, “Neurotoxocarosis,” Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de Sao Paulo, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 279–287, 2007.
- A. Nicoletti, V. Sofia, A. Mantella et al., “Epilepsy and toxocariasis: a case-control study in Italy,” Epilepsia, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 594–599, 2008.
- N. Z. Mikhael, V. J. A. Montpetit, and M. Orizaga, “Toxocara canis infestation with encephalitis,” Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 114–120, 1974.
- P. J. Donovick and R. G. Burright, “The consequences of parasitic infection for the behavior of the mammalian host,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 73, pp. 247–250, 1987.
- J. Finsterer, V. Kallab, and H. Auer, “Neurotoxocariasis associated with lower motor neuron disease. Report of one case,” Revista Medica de Chile, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 483–486, 2010.
- I. H. Lee, S. T. Kim, D. K. Oh et al., “MRI findings of spinal visceral larva migrans of Toxocara canis,” European Journal of Radiology, vol. 75, no. 2, pp. 236–240, 2010.
- N. Akao and N. Ohta, “Toxocariasis in Japan,” Parasitology International, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 87–93, 2007.
- A. E. Abdel Ghafar, S. E. Elkowrany, S. A. Salem, A. A. Menaisy, W. A. Fadel, and W. M. Awara, “Effect of some parasitic infection on neurotransmitters in the brain of experimentally infected mice before and after treatment,” Journal of the Egyptian Society of Parasitology, vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 497–508, 1996.
- A. A. Othman, G. A. Abdel-Aleem, E. M. Saied, W. W. Mayah, and A. M. Elatrash, “Biochemical and immunopathological changes in experimental neurotoxocariasis,” Molecular and Biochemical Parasitology, vol. 172, no. 1, pp. 1–8, 2010.
- K. U. Tufekci, S. Genc, and K. Genc, “The endotoxin-induced neuroinflammation model of Parkinson's disease,” Parkinson's Disease, vol. 2011, Article ID 487450, 25 pages, 2011.
- N. P. Turrin and C. R. Plata-Salamán, “Cytokine-cytokine interactions and the brain,” Brain Research Bulletin, vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 3–9, 2000.
- M. Kaplan, A. Godekmerdan, A. Kalkan, and A. Erensoy, “Toxocara canisSeroprevalence in Elazığ suburb in Turkey,” in Firat University Journal of Health Science, vol. 13, pp. 51–54, 1999.
- M. G. Saglam, Evaluation of Toxocara canis occurrence by the ELISA method [Master of Philosophy thesis], Institute of Health Sciences, Istanbul University, 1999.
- N. Doǧan, E. C. Dinleyici, O. Bor, S. O. Töz, and Y. Ozbel, “Seroepidemiological survey for Toxocara canis infection in the northwestern part of Turkey,” Acta Parasitologica Turcica, vol. 31, no. 4, pp. 288–291, 2007.
- S. Yazar, O. Yaman, U. Cetinkaya, et al., “Investigation of anti-Toxocara canisIgG antibodies in patients presenting at the Erciyes University Medical Faculty, Department of Parasitology,” Acta Parasitologica Turcica, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 24–26, 2010.
- Ç. Güngör, E. Çiftçi, and G. A. Akarsu, “Nedeni bilinmeyen karın ağrısı şikayeti olan çocuklarda Toxocaraantikoru prevalansı,” Acta Parasitologica Turcica, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 24–27, 1999 (Turkish).
- H. Oğuztürk and H and G. Saygı, “Toxocara canis larvaları ile oluşan infeksiyonun ilköğretim okulu öğrencilerinde araştırılması,” Acta Parasitologica Turcica, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 409–414, 2002 (Turkish).
- O. Büyükbaba, E. Ozkan, and E. Buget, “Toxocara canis ve çocuklardaki seroprevalansının ELISA ile araştırılması,” Turkish Journal of Infection, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 7–11, 1996 (Turkish).
- P. Scalzo, A. S. De Miranda, D. C. Guerra Amaral, M. De Carvalho Vilela, F. Cardoso, and A. L. Teixeira, “Serum levels of chemokines in parkinson's disease,” NeuroImmunoModulation, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 240–244, 2011.