- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 689089, 10 pages
Preliminary Results of Implantation in Animal Model and Osteoblast Culture Evaluation of Prototypes of Biomimetic Multispiked Connecting Scaffold for Noncemented Stemless Resurfacing Hip Arthroplasty Endoprostheses
1Department of Medical Bioengineering Fundamentals, Institute of Technology, Casimir the Great University, Karola Chodkiewicza 30, 85-064 Bydgoszcz, Poland
2Department of Process Engineering, Institute of Technology and Chemical Engineering, Poznan University of Technology, Marii Sklodowskiej-Curie 2, 60-965 Poznan, Poland
3Department of Spine Surgery, Oncologic Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 28 Czerwca 1956 135/147, 61-545 Poznan, Poland
4Department of Clinical Auxology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Szpitalna 27/33, 60-572 Poznan, Poland
5Growth Hormone & Growing Skeleton Research Group, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, 28 Czerwca 1956 135/147, 61-545 Poznan, Poland
6Department of Pharmacology, Poznan University of Medical Sciences, Rokietnicka 5A, 60-806 Poznan, Poland
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 3 July 2013
Academic Editor: Adrian Dragu
Copyright © 2013 Ryszard Uklejewski et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- E. M. Schwarz, R. J. Looney, and R. J. O'Keefe, “Anti-TNF-α therapy as a clinical intervention for periprosthetic osteolysis,” Arthritis Research, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 165–168, 2000.
- R. D. Altman, M. C. Hochberg, R. W. Moskowitz, and T. J. Schnitzer, “Recommendations for the medical management of osteoarthritis of the hip and knee: 2000 update. American College of Rheumatology Subcommittee on Osteoarthritis Guidelines,” Arthritis & Rheumatism, vol. 43, no. 9, pp. 1905–1915, 2000.
- J. D. Bobyn, E. S. Mortimer, A. H. Glassman, C. A. Engh, J. E. Miller, and C. E. Brooks, “Producing and avoiding stress shielding: laboratory and clinical observations of noncemented total hip arthroplasty,” Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, no. 274, pp. 79–96, 1992.
- R. Howald, U. Kesteris, R. Klabunde, and J. Krevolin, “Factors affecting the cement penetration of a hip resurfacing implant: an in vitro study,” HIP International, vol. 16, supplement 4, pp. S82–S89, 2006.
- P. E. Beaulé, R. Ganz, and M. Leunig, “Blood flow to the femoral head and hip resurfacing arthroplasty,” Orthopade, vol. 37, no. 7, pp. 659–666, 2008.
- M. H. Huo, J. Parvizi, and N. F. Gilbert, “What's new in hip arthroplasty,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 2100–2113, 2006.
- H. C. Amstutz, P. A. Campbell, and M. J. le Duff, “Fracture of the neck of the femur after surface arthroplasty of the hip,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery A, vol. 86, no. 9, pp. 1874–1877, 2004.
- A. J. Shimmin and D. Back, “Femoral neck fractures following Birmingham hip resurfacing,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 87, no. 4, pp. 463–464, 2005.
- A. J. Shimmin, J. Bare, and D. L. Back, “Complications associated with hip resurfacing arthroplasty,” Orthopedic Clinics of North America, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 187–193, 2005.
- P. F. Indelli, N. Veins, D. Dominguez, K. Kitaoka, and T. P. Vail, “Bioceramics and alternative bearings in joint arthroplasty,” in Ceramics in Orthopaedics, F. Benazzo, F. Falez, and M. Dietrich, Eds., pp. 47–50, Steinkopff Verlag, Darmstadt, Germany, 2006.
- D. R. Marker, T. M. Seyler, R. H. Jinnah, R. E. Delanois, S. D. Ulrich, and M. A. Mont, “Femoral neck fractures after metal-on-metal total hip resurfacing. A Prospective Cohort Study,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 22, no. 7, supplement 3, pp. 66–71, 2007.
- P. R. Kim, P. E. Beaulé, G. Y. Laflamme, and M. Dunbar, “Causes of early failure in a multicenter clinical trial of hip resurfacing,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 23, no. 6, supplement 1, pp. 44–49, 2008.
- H. C. Amstutz and M. J. le Duff, “Eleven years of experience with metal-on-metal hybrid hip resurfacing. A review of 1000 conserve plus,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 23, no. 6, supplement 1, pp. 36–43, 2008.
- S. Spencer, R. Carter, H. Murray, and R. M. D. Meek, “Femoral neck narrowing after metal-on-metal hip resurfacing,” Journal of Arthroplasty, vol. 23, no. 8, pp. 1105–1109, 2008.
- D. Morgan, G. Myers, K. O'Dwyer, and A. M. Thomas, “Intertrochanteric fracture below Birmingham Hip Resurfacing: successful non-operative management in two cases,” Injury Extra, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 313–315, 2008.
- T. S. Aulakh, C. Rao, J.-H. Kuiper, and J. B. Richardson, “Hip resurfacing and osteonecrosis: results from an independent hip resurfacing register,” Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery, vol. 130, no. 7, pp. 841–845, 2010.
- V. C. Bose and B. D. Baruah, “Resurfacing arthroplasty of the hip for avascular necrosis of the femoral head: a minimum follow-up of four years,” Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery B, vol. 92, no. 7, pp. 922–928, 2010.
- R. Pailhé, A. Sharma, N. Reina, E. Cavaignac, P. Chiron, and J.-M. Laffosse, “Hip resurfacing: a systematic review of literature,” International Orthopaedics (SICOT), vol. 36, no. 12, pp. 2399–2410, 2012.
- J. T. Munro, B. A. Masri, C. P. Duncan, and D. S. Garbuz, “High complication rate after 9 revision of large-head metal-onmetal total hip arthroplasty,” Symposium: Hip Society Proceedings, Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research, 2013.
- F. Falez, F. Favetti, F. Casella, and G. Panegrossi, “Hip resurfacing: why does it fail? Early results and critical analysis of our first 60 cases,” International Orthopaedics, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 209–216, 2008.
- G. Ullmark, K. Sundgren, J. Milbrink, O. Nilsson, and J. Sörensen, “Osteonecrosis following resurfacing arthroplasty a clinical positron emission tomography study of 14 cases,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 80, no. 6, pp. 670–674, 2009.
- R. N. de Steiger, L. N. Miller, G. H. Prosser, S. E. Graves, D. C. Davidson, and T. E. Stanford, “Poor outcome of revised resurfacing hip arthroplasty: 397 cases from the Australian Joint Replacement Registry,” Acta Orthopaedica, vol. 81, no. 1, pp. 72–76, 2010.
- P. Rogala, Endoprosthesis [EU patent nr 072418 B1], 1999.
- P. Rogala, Acetabulum endoprosthesis and head [US patent nr 5, 91, 759], 1999.
- P. Rogala, Method and endoprosthesis to apply this implantation [Canadian patent nr 2, 200, 064], 2002.
- R. Uklejewski, “Experimental investigation and design of the constructional properties of bone-porous implants fixations,” Research No. 4T07C05629, Polish Ministry of Science, 2005–2008.
- R. Uklejewski, P. Rogala, M. Winiecki, and J. Mielniczuk, “Prototype of innovating bone tissue preserving THRA endoprosthesis with multi-spiked connecting scaffold manufactured in selective laser melting technology,” Engineering of Biomaterials, vol. 12, no. 87, pp. 2–6, 2009.
- R. Uklejewski, P. Rogala, M. Winiecki, and J. Mielniczuk, “Prototype of minimally invasive hip resurfacing endoprosthesis—bioengineering design and manufacturing,” Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 65–70, 2009.
- R. Uklejewski, M. Winiecki, P. Rogal, and J. Mielniczuk, “Selective laser melted prototype of original minimally invasive resurfacing hip endoprosthesis,” Rapid Prototyping Journal, vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 76–85, 2011.
- R. Uklejewski, M. Winiecki, R. Tokłowicz, S. Kowalski, G. Musielak, and P. Rogala, “Mechanical behaviour of preprototypes of MSC-Scaffold for non-cemented stemless joints endoprostheses during push-in tests into periarticular cancellous bone,” Engineering of Biomaterials. Submitted.
- I. Gerber and I. ap Gwynn, “Influence of cell isolation, cell culture density, and cell nutrition on differentiation of rat calvarial osteoblast-like cells in vitro,” European Cells and Materials, vol. 2, pp. 10–20, 2001.
- X. Liu, P. K. Chu, and C. Ding, “Surface modification of titanium, titanium alloys, and related materials for biomedical applications,” Materials Science and Engineering R, vol. 47, no. 3-4, pp. 49–121, 2004.
- R. Uklejewski, M. Winiecki, R. Tokłowicz, and P. Rogala, “Modification of titanium alloys surfaces of connecting scaffolds to improve their osteointegration,” in Proceedings of the 21st Polish Conference of Chemical and Process Engineering, Kolobrzeg, Poland, September 2013.
- S. Milz and R. Putz, “Quantitative morphology of the subchondral plate of the tibial plateau,” Journal of Anatomy, vol. 185, pp. 103–110, 1994.