- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 689768, 9 pages
Autophagy and Human Parturition: Evaluation of LC3 Expression in Placenta from Spontaneous or Medically Induced Onset of Labor
1Unit of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Department of Health Sciences, San Paolo Hospital Medical School, University of Milan, Via A. di Rudinì 8, 20142 Milan, Italy
2Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Laboratories, Department of Health Sciences, San Paolo Hospital Medical School, University of Milan, Via A. di Rudinì 8, 20142 Milan, Italy
3Unit of Human Pathology, Department of Health Sciences, San Paolo Hospital Medical School, University of Milan, Via A. di Rudinì 8, 20142 Milan, Italy
Received 3 April 2013; Revised 7 June 2013; Accepted 11 June 2013
Academic Editor: Takeshi Noda
Copyright © 2013 Laura Avagliano et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- A. M. Choi, S. W. Ryter, and B. Levine, “Autophagy in human health and disease,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 368, no. 7, pp. 651–662, 2013.
- P. Signorelli, L. Avagliano, E. Virgili et al., “Autophagy in term normal human placentas,” Placenta, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 482–485, 2011.
- S.-Y. Oh, S.-J. Choi, K. H. K. Kyung Hee Kim, E. Cho, J.-H. Kim, and C.-R. Roh, “Autophagy-related proteins, LC3 and beclin-1, in placentas from pregnancies complicated by preeclampsia,” Reproductive Sciences, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 912–920, 2008.
- T. H. Hung, S. F. Chen, L. M. Lo, M. J. Li, Y. L. Yeh, and T. T. Hsieh, “Increased autophagy in placentas from intrauterine growth-restricted pregnancies,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 7, article e40957, 2012.
- Y. L. Chang, T. H. Wang, S. D. Chang, A. S. Chao, P. C. Hsieh, and C. N. Wang, “Increased autophagy in the placental territory of selective intrauterine growth-restricted monochorionic twins,” Prenatal Diagnosis, vol. 3, pp. 1–4, 2013.
- S. Curtis, C. J. Jones, A. Garrod, C. H. Hulme, and A. E. Heazell, “Identification of autophagic vacuoles and regulators of autophagy in villous trophoblast from normal term pregnancies and in fetal growth restriction,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 339–346, 2013.
- E. Mozurkewich, J. Chilimigras, E. Koepke, K. Keeton, and V. J. King, “Indications for induction of labour: a best-evidence review,” BJOG, vol. 116, no. 5, pp. 626–636, 2009.
- S. P. Chauhan and C. V. Ananth, “Induction of labor in the United States: a critical appraisal of appropriateness and reducibility,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 336–343, 2012.
- Z. Yang and D. J. Klionsky, “Eaten alive: a history of macroautophagy,” Nature Cell Biology, vol. 12, no. 9, pp. 814–822, 2010.
- T. Yorimitsu and D. J. Klionsky, “Autophagy: molecular machinery for self-eating,” Cell Death and Differentiation, vol. 12, supplement 2, pp. 1542–1552, 2005.
- C. He and D. J. Klionsky, “Regulation mechanisms and signaling pathways of autophagy,” Annual Review of Genetics, vol. 43, pp. 67–93, 2009.
- H. W. P. Quartero and C. H. Fry, “Placental corticotrophin releasing factor may modulate human parturition,” Placenta, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 439–443, 1989.
- M. Mclean, A. Bisits, J. Davies, R. Woods, P. Lowry, and R. Smith, “A placental clock controlling the length of human pregnancy,” Nature Medicine, vol. 1, no. 5, pp. 460–463, 1995.
- A. J. Majmundar, W. J. Wong, and M. C. Simon, “Hypoxia-inducible factors and the response to hypoxic stress,” Molecular Cell, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 294–309, 2010.
- C. de Duve and R. Wattiaux, “Functions of lysosomes,” Annual Review of Physiology, vol. 28, pp. 435–492, 1966.
- D. J. Klionsky and S. D. Emr, “Autophagy as a regulated pathway of cellular degradation,” Science, vol. 290, no. 5497, pp. 1717–1721, 2000.
- T. Ochȩdalski, K. Zylinńska, T. Laudański, and A. Lachowicz, “Corticotrophin-releasing hormone and ACTH levels in maternal and fetal blood during spontaneous and oxytocin-induced labour,” European Journal of Endocrinology, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 117–121, 2001.
- R. Smith, “Parturition,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 356, no. 3, pp. 271–283, 2007.
- J. P. Rooks, “Oxytocin as a high alert medication: a multilayered challenge to the status quo,” Birth, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 345–348, 2009.
- A. Fleischer, A. A. Anyaegbunam, H. Schulman, G. Farmakides, and G. Randolph, “Uterine and umbilical artery velocimetry during normal labor,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 157, no. 1, pp. 40–43, 1987.
- A. Many and J. M. Roberts, “Increased xanthine oxidase during labour—implications for oxidative stress,” Placenta, vol. 18, no. 8, pp. 725–726, 1997.
- T. Cindrova-Davies, H.-W. Yung, J. Johns et al., “Oxidative stress, gene expression, and protein changes induced in the human placenta during labor,” American Journal of Pathology, vol. 171, no. 4, pp. 1168–1179, 2007.
- T.-H. Hung, S.-F. Chen, T.-T. Hsieh, L.-M. Lo, M.-J. Li, and Y.-L. Yeh, “The associations between labor and delivery mode and maternal and placental oxidative stress,” Reproductive Toxicology, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 144–150, 2011.
- R. Kiffin, U. Bandyopadhyay, and A. M. Cuervo, “Oxidative stress and autophagy,” Antioxidants and Redox Signaling, vol. 8, no. 1-2, pp. 152–162, 2006.
- M. G. Tuuli, M. S. Longtine, and D. M. Nelson, “Review: oxygen and trophoblast biology—a source of controversy,” Placenta, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. S109–S118, 2011.
- I. Bildirici, M. S. Longtine, B. Chen, and D. M. Nelson, “Survival by self-destruction: a role for autophagy in the placenta?” Placenta, vol. 33, no. 8, pp. 591–598, 2012.
- A. Nakashima, M. Yamanaka-Tatematsu, N. Fujita et al., “Impaired autophagy by soluble endoglin, under physiological hypoxia in early pregnant period, is involved in poor placentation in preeclampsia,” Autophagy, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 303–316, 2013.
- S. Saito and A. Nakashima, “The role of autophagy in extravillous trophoblast function under hypoxia,” Placenta, vol. 34, Supplement A, no. 27, pp. S79–S84, 2013.