- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 690382, 9 pages
Long-Term Impact of Immunosuppressants at Therapeutic Doses on Male Reproductive System in Unilateral Nephrectomized Rats: A Comparative Study
1Department of Urology, Guangzhou First People’s Hospital, Guangzhou Medical University, 1 Panfu Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510180, China
2Reproductive Center, Guangdong General Hospital, Guangdong Academy of Medical Science, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510080, China
3Department of Organ Transplantation, The First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510080, China
4Laboratory of Electron Microscope, Southern Medical University, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510450, China
5Department of Laboratory Medicine, Guangzhou First People’s Hospital, Guangzhou Medical University, 1 Panfu Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510180, China
6Department of Pathology, Guangzhou First People’s Hospital, Guangzhou Medical University, 1 Panfu Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510180, China
7Department of Pharmacy, Guangzhou First People’s Hospital, Guangzhou Medical University, 1 Panfu Road, Guangzhou, Guangdong 510180, China
8Division of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, VA Loma Linda Healthcare System and Loma Linda University, VA Loma Linda Healthcare System (111N), 11201 Benton Street, Loma Linda, CA 92357, USA
Received 19 April 2013; Revised 20 June 2013; Accepted 20 June 2013
Academic Editor: Rodomiro Ortiz
Copyright © 2013 Yehui Chen et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L.-G. Xu, H.-W. Wang, W.-L. Peng et al., “Marital status and fertility of 185 male renal transplant recipients in China,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 618–621, 2008.
- M. L. Byrd, P. Donnai, and R. Gokal, “Outcome of pregnancy following renal transplantation,” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 15–18, 2000.
- M. J. Gutiérrez, M. Acebedo-Ribó, J. A. García-Donaire et al., “Pregnancy in renal transplant recipients,” Transplantation Proceedings, vol. 37, no. 9, pp. 3721–3722, 2005.
- A. Hisatomi, S. Fujihira, Y. Fujimoto, T. Fujii, Y. Mine, and K. Ohara, “Effect of Prograf (FK506) on spermatogenesis in rats,” Toxicology, vol. 109, no. 2-3, pp. 75–83, 1996.
- J. Rovira, F. Diekmann, M. Ramírez-Bajo, E. Bañó-Maneus, D. Moya-Rull, and J. M. Campistol, “Sirolimus-associated testicular toxicity: detrimental but reversible,” Transplantation, vol. 93, pp. 874–879, 2012.
- H. Masuda, S. Fujihira, H. Ueno, M. Kagawa, Y. Katsuoka, and H. Mori, “Ultrastructural study on cytotoxic effects of cyclosporine A in spermiogenesis in rats,” Medical Electron Microscopy, vol. 36, no. 3, pp. 183–191, 2003.
- M. M. Eid, I. A. Abdel-Hamid, M. A. Sobh, and M. A. El-Saied, “Assessment of sperm motion characteristics in infertile renal transplant recipients using computerized analysis,” International Journal of Andrology, vol. 19, no. 6, pp. 338–344, 1996.
- L. Fritsche, K. Budde, D. Dragun, G. Einecke, F. Diekmann, and H.-H. Neumayer, “Testosterone concentrations and sirolimus in male renal transplant patients,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 130–131, 2004.
- L. Bererhi, M. Flamant, F. Martinez, A. Karras, E. Thervet, and C. Legendre, “Rapamycin-induced oligospermia,” Transplantation, vol. 76, no. 5, pp. 885–886, 2003.
- J. Zuber, D. Anglicheau, C. Elie et al., “Sirolimus may reduce fertility in male renal transplant recipients,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1471–1479, 2008.
- J. Skrzypek and W. Krause, “Azoospermia in a renal transplant recipient during sirolimus (rapamycin) treatment,” Andrologia, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 198–199, 2007.
- R. Quinn, “Comparing rat's to human's age: how old is my rat in people years?” Nutrition, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 775–777, 2005.
- M. J. Cosentino, M. Nishida, R. Rabinowitz, and A. T. K. Cockett, “Histological changes occurring in the contralateral testes of prepubertal rats subjected to various durations of unilateral spermatic cord torsion,” Journal of Urology, vol. 133, no. 5, pp. 906–911, 1985.
- D. B. McKay, M. A. Josephson, V. T. Armenti et al., “Reproduction and transplantation: report on the AST Consensus Conference on Reproductive Issues and Transplantation,” American Journal of Transplantation, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 1592–1599, 2005.
- L. Seethalakshmi, M. Menon, R. K. Malhotra, and D. A. Diamond, “Effect of cyclosporine A on male reproduction in rats,” Journal of Urology, vol. 138, no. 4, pp. 991–995, 1987.
- J. C. Monteiro, F. S. Predes, S. L. P. Matta, and H. Dolder, “Heteropterys aphrodisiaca infusion reduces the collateral effects of cyclosporine a on the testis,” Anatomical Record, vol. 291, no. 7, pp. 809–817, 2008.
- L. Seethalakshmi, C. Flores, A. A. Carboni, and M. Menon, “Quantitative maintenance of spermatogenesis in cyclosporine-treated rats by exogenous administration of testosterone propionate,” Journal of Andrology, vol. 11, no. 6, pp. 491–497, 1990.
- L. Seethalakshmi, C. Flores, D. A. Diamond, and M. Menon, “Reversal of the toxic effects of cyclosporine on male reproduction and kidney function of rats by simultaneous administration of hCG + FSH,” Journal of Urology, vol. 144, no. 6, pp. 1489–1492, 1990.
- L. Seethalakshmi, C. Flores, R. B. Khauli, D. A. Diamond, and M. Menon, “Evaluation of the effect of experimental cyclosporine toxicity on male reproduction and renal function. Reversal by concomitant human chorionic gonadotropin administration,” Transplantation, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 17–19, 1990.
- G. Turk, A. Atessahin, M. Sonmez, A. Yuce, and A. O. Ceribasi, “Lycopene protects against cyclosporine A-induced testicular toxicity in rats,” Theriogenology, vol. 67, pp. 778–785, 2007.
- M. Winkler and U. Christians, “A risk-benefit assessment of tacrolimus in transplantation,” Drug Safety, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 348–357, 1995.
- B. H. Caneguim, P. S. Cerri, L. C. Spolidório, S. M. Miraglia, and E. Sasso-Cerri, “Structural alterations in the seminiferous tubules of rats treated with immunosuppressor tacrolimus,” Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology, vol. 7, article 19, 2009.
- K. Yoshinaga, S. Nishikawa, M. Ogawa, S.-I. Hayashi, T. Kunisada, and T. S.-I. Fujimoto Nishikawa, “Role of c-kit in mouse spermatogenesis: Identification of spermatogonia as a specific site of c-kit expression and function,” Development, vol. 113, no. 2, pp. 689–699, 1991.
- L.-X. Feng, N. Ravindranath, and M. Dym, “Stem cell factor/c-kit up-regulates cyclin D3 and promotes cell cycle progression via the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/p70 S6 kinase pathway in spermatogonia,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 275, no. 33, pp. 25572–25576, 2000.