- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 690491, 12 pages
The Therapeutic Potential of Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stem Cells in Mice Premature Ovarian Failure
1Blood Transfusion Department, the General Hospital of the People’s Liberation Army, Beijing 100853, China
2Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, First Affiliated Hospital of the General Hospital of the People’s Liberation Army, Beijing 100048, China
3Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Tangdu Hospital, Fourth Military Medical University, Xi’an 710038, China
4Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the General Hospital of the People’s Liberation Army, Beijing 100853, China
5Tissue Engineering Research Center of Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing 100850, China
Received 26 April 2013; Revised 25 June 2013; Accepted 11 July 2013
Academic Editor: Elena Jones
Copyright © 2013 Shufang Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. Panay and A. Fenton, “Premature ovarian failure: a growing concern,” Climacteric, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 1–3, 2008.
- M. L. Shelling and R. S. Kirsner, “Failure to counsel patients with psoriasis to decrease alcohol consumption (and smoking),” Archives of Dermatology, vol. 146, no. 12, p. 1370, 2010.
- C. Wilson, “Autoimmunity: autoimmune Addison disease and premature ovarian failure,” Nature Reviews Endocrinology, vol. 7, no. 9, p. 498, 2011.
- P. B. Hoyer and I. G. Sipes, “Assessment of follicle destruction in chemical-induced ovarian toxicity,” Annual Review of Pharmacology and Toxicology, vol. 36, pp. 307–331, 1996.
- K. J. Woad, W. J. Watkins, D. Prendergast, and A. N. Shelling, “The genetic basis of premature ovarian failure,” Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 242–244, 2006.
- E. Kalu and N. Panay, “Spontaneous premature ovarian failure: management challenges,” Gynecological Endocrinology, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 273–279, 2008.
- H. Chen, J. Li, T. Cui, and L. Hu, “Adjuvant gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogues for the prevention of chemotherapy induced premature ovarian failure in premenopausal women,” Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, no. 11, Article ID CD008018, 2011.
- J. Ginsburg, A. J. Isaacs, M. B. R. Gore, and C. W. H. Harvard, “Use of clomiphene and luteinizing hormone/follicle stimulating hormone releasing hormone in investigation of ovulatory failure,” British Medical Journal, vol. 3, no. 5976, pp. 130–133, 1975.
- M. F. Pittenger, A. M. Mackay, S. C. Beck et al., “Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells,” Science, vol. 284, no. 5411, pp. 143–147, 1999.
- N. Forraz and C. P. Mcguckin, “The umbilical cord: a rich and ethical stem cell source to advance regenerative medicine,” Cell Proliferation, vol. 44, supplement 1, pp. 60–69, 2011.
- R. Anzalone, M. L. Iacono, S. Corrao et al., “New emerging potentials for human wharton's jelly mesenchymal stem cells: immunological features and hepatocyte-like differentiative capacity,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 423–438, 2010.
- A.-J. Shang, S.-Q. Hong, Q. Xu et al., “NT-3-secreting human umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cell transplantation for the treatment of acute spinal cord injury in rats,” Brain Research, vol. 1391, pp. 102–113, 2011.
- W. Liao, J. Xie, J. Zhong et al., “Therapeutic effect of human umbilical cord multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells in a rat model of stroke,” Transplantation, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 350–359, 2009.
- S. Tipnis, C. Viswanathan, and A. S. Majumdar, “Immunosuppressive properties of human umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stem cells: role of B7-H1 and IDO,” Immunology and Cell Biology, vol. 88, no. 8, pp. 795–806, 2010.
- J. Guo, J. Yang, G. Cao et al., “Xenogeneic immunosuppression of human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells in a major histocompatibility complex-mismatched allogeneic acute graft-versus-host disease murine model,” European Journal of Haematology, vol. 87, no. 3, pp. 235–243, 2011.
- I. Ishige, T. Nagamura-Inoue, M. J. Honda et al., “Comparison of mesenchymal stem cells derived from arterial, venous, and Wharton's jelly explants of human umbilical cord,” International Journal of Hematology, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 261–269, 2009.
- S. Zhou, “From bone to brain: human skeletal stem cell therapy for stroke,” Central Nervous System Agents in Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 157–163, 2011.
- Y. Liu, S. H. Teoh, M. S. Chong, E. S. Lee, C. N. Mattar, N. K. Randhawa, et al., “Vasculogenic and osteogenesis-enhancing potential of human umbilical cord blood endothelial colony-forming cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 30, pp. 1911–1924, 2012.
- A. Moodley and L. Guardabassi, “Clonal spread of methicillin-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci among horses, personnel and environmental sites at equine facilities,” Veterinary Microbiology, vol. 137, no. 3-4, pp. 397–401, 2009.
- A. K. Batsali, M. C. Kastrinaki, H. A. Papadaki, and C. Pontikoglou, “Mesenchymal stem cells derived from Wharton's Jelly of the umbilical cord: biological properties and emerging clinical applications,” Current Stem Cell Research and Therapy, vol. 8, pp. 144–155, 2013.
- S. McGuirk, C. Fahy, D. Costi, and A. M. Cyna, “Use of invasive placebos in research on local anaesthetic interventions,” Anaesthesia, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 84–91, 2011.
- X. Fu, Y. He, C. Xie, and W. Liu, “Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell transplantation improves ovarian function and structure in rats with chemotherapy-induced ovarian damage,” Cytotherapy, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 353–363, 2008.
- H.-J. Lee, K. Selesniemi, Y. Niikura et al., “Bone marrow transplantation generates immature oocytes and rescues long-term fertility in a preclinical mouse model of chemotherapy-induced premature ovarian failure,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 25, no. 22, pp. 3198–3204, 2007.
- U. Nekanti, V. B. Rao, A. G. Bahirvani, M. Jan, S. Totey, and M. Ta, “Long-term expansion and pluripotent marker array analysis of Wharton's jelly-derived mesenchymal stem cells,” Stem Cells and Development, vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 117–130, 2010.
- J. H. Park, I. Hwang, S. H. Hwang, H. Han, H. Ha, et al., “Human umbilical cord blood-derived mesenchymal stem cells prevent diabetic renal injury through paracrine action,” Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, vol. 98, pp. 465–473, 2012.
- M. Latifpour, S. N. Nematollahi-Mahani, M. Deilamy et al., “Improvement in cardiac function following transplantation of human umbilical cord matrix-derived mesenchymal cells,” Cardiology, vol. 120, no. 1, pp. 9–18, 2011.
- Y. S. Chang, S. J. Choi, S. Y. Ahn, D. K. Sung, S. I. Sung, H. S. Yoo, et al., “Timing of umbilical cord blood derived mesenchymal stem cells transplantation determines therapeutic efficacy in the neonatal hyperoxic lung injury,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, Article ID e52419, 2013.
- L. Vergnes, J. Phan, A. Stolz, and K. Reue, “A cluster of eight hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase genes belonging to the aldo-keto reductase supergene family on mouse chromosome 13,” Journal of Lipid Research, vol. 44, no. 3, pp. 503–511, 2003.
- L. F. Gamwell, O. Collins, and B. C. Vanderhyden, “The mouse ovarian surface epithelium contains a population of LY6A (SCA-1) expressing progenitor cells that are regulated by ovulation-associated factors,” Biology of Reproduction, vol. 87, no. 4, 2012.
- J. B. Prins, K. A. Williamson, M. M. Kamp, E. J. Van Hezik, T. H. Vander Kwast, A. Hagemeijer, et al., “The gene for the cyclin-dependent-kinase-4 inhibitor, CDKN2A, is preferentially deleted in malignant mesothelioma,” International Journal of Cancer, vol. 75, pp. 649–653, 1998.
- S. K. Nabhan, M. A. Bitencourt, M. Duval et al., “Fertility recovery and pregnancy after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in Fanconi anemia patients,” Haematologica, vol. 95, no. 10, pp. 1783–1787, 2010.
- H. E. Daldrup-Link, M. Rudelius, R. A. J. Oostendorp et al., “Comparison of iron oxide labeling properties of hematopoietic progenitor cells from umbilical cord blood and from peripheral blood for subsequent in vivo tracking in a xenotransplant mouse model XXX,” Academic Radiology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 502–510, 2005.
- B. Ling, D. Q. Feng, Y. Zhou, T. Gao, H. M. Wei, and Z. G. Tian, “Effect of conditioned medium of mesenchymal stem cells on the in vitro maturation and subsequent development of mouse oocyte,” Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research, vol. 41, no. 11, pp. 978–985, 2008.
- T.-H. Hung, C.-C. Hsieh, J.-J. Hsu, L.-M. Lo, T.-H. Chiu, and T.-T. Hsieh, “Risk factors for placental abruption in an Asian population,” Reproductive Sciences, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 59–65, 2007.
- J. C. Hocking, C. L. Hehr, G. E. Bertolesi, J. Y. Wu, and S. McFarlane, “Distinct roles for Robo2 in the regulation of axon and dendrite growth by retinal ganglion cells,” Mechanisms of Development, vol. 127, no. 1-2, pp. 36–48, 2010.
- P. Lin, D. Correa, Y. Lin, and A. I. Caplan, “Polybrene inhibits human mesenchymal stem cell proliferation during lentiviral transduction,” PLoS ONE, vol. 6, no. 8, Article ID e23891, 2011.
- D.-H. Park, D. J. Eve, Y.-G. Chung, and P. R. Sanberg, “Regenerative medicine for neurological disorders,” The Scientific World Journal, vol. 10, pp. 470–489, 2010.
- N. Souidi, M. Stolk, and M. Seifert, “Ischemia-reperfusion injury: beneficial effects of mesenchymal stromal cells,” Current Opinion in Organ Transplantation, vol. 18, pp. 34–43, 2013.
- H. Lin, R. Xu, Z. Zhang, L. Chen, M. Shi, and F.-S. Wang, “Implications of the immunoregulatory functions of mesenchymal stem cells in the treatment of human liver diseases,” Cellular and Molecular Immunology, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 19–22, 2011.
- Y. Yan, W. Xu, H. Qian et al., “Mesenchymal stem cells from human umbilical cords ameliorate mouse hepatic injury in vivo,” Liver International, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 356–365, 2009.
- M. L. Weiss, C. Anderson, S. Medicetty et al., “Immune properties of human umbilical cord Wharton's jelly-derived cells,” Stem Cells, vol. 26, no. 11, pp. 2865–2874, 2008.
- M. L. Weiss, S. Medicetty, A. R. Bledsoe et al., “Human umbilical cord matrix stem cells: preliminary characterization and effect of transplantation in a rodent model of Parkinson's disease,” Stem Cells, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 781–792, 2006.