- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 692751, 8 pages
Efficacy of Iranian Traditional Medicine in the Treatment of Epilepsy
Research Institute for Islamic and Complementary Medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Jomhuri Avenue, P.O. Box 1145847111, Tehran, Iran
Received 30 April 2013; Accepted 10 June 2013
Academic Editor: Javeed Iqbal
Copyright © 2013 Mehri Abdollahi Fard and Asie Shojaii. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- M. J. Moshi, G. A. B. Kagashe, and Z. H. Mbwambo, “Plants used to treat epilepsy by Tanzanian traditional healers,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 327–336, 2005.
- The World Health Report, Mental Health: New Understanding New Hope, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland, 2001.
- J. Engel Jr., “Current concepts: surgery for seizures,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 334, no. 10, pp. 647–652, 1996.
- A. Gorji and M. Khaleghi Ghadiri, “History of epilepsy in Medieval Iranian medicine,” Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 455–461, 2001.
- M. A . Arzani, Tebb-E-Akbari, vol. 2, Institute of Medical History, Islamic and Complementary Medicine, Iran University of Medical Sciences, 2005.
- M. M. Tonkaboni, Tohfeh Al-Momenin, Edited by R. Rahimi, M. R. Shams Ardekani, and F. Farjadmand, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran, 2007.
- M. H. Aghili, Makhzan-Al-Advia, Edited by R. Rahimi, M. R. Shams Ardekani, F. Farjadmand, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran, 2009.
- M. H. Aghili, Moalejat-E-Aghili, Research institute for Islamic and Complementary Medicine Publication, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Bavardaran Press, Tehran, Iran, 2nd edition, 2008.
- J. Debnath, U. R. Sharma, B. Kumar, and N. S. Chauhan, “Anticonvulsant activity of ethanolic extract of fruits of Terminalia chebula on experimental animals,” International Journal of Drug Development and Research, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 764–768, 2010.
- S. M. A. Zaidi, S. A. Pathan, G. K. Jain, et al., “Anticonvulsant and neuropharmacological studies of Anacyclus pyrethrum root extract,” Neuroscience Research, vol. 65, supplement 1, S250 pages, 2009.
- O. P. Gautam, S. Verma, and S. K. Jain, “Anti convulsant and myorelaxation activity of Anacyclus pyrethrum DC. (Akarkara) root extract,” Pharmacologyonline, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 121–125, 2011.
- M. Pahuja, J. Mehla, K. H. Reeta, S. Joshi, and Y. K. Gupta, “Root extract of Anacyclus pyrethrum ameliorates seizures, seizure-induced oxidative stress and cognitive impairment in experimental animals,” Epilepsy Research, vol. 98, no. 2-3, pp. 157–165, 2012.
- M. Pahuja, J. Mehla, K. H. Reeta, M. Tripathi, and Y. K. Gupta, “Effect of Anacyclus pyrethrum on pentylenetetrazole-induced kinding, spatial memory, oxidative stress and rho-kinase II expression in mice,” Neurochemical Research, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 547–556, 2013.
- M. H. Pourgholami, S. Majzoob, M. Javadi, M. Kamalinejad, G. H. R. Fanaee, and M. Sayyah, “The fruit essential oil of Pimpinella anisum exerts anticonvulsant effects in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 66, no. 2, pp. 211–215, 1999.
- M. H. Heidari and M. Aieli, “Effects of methyl alcoholic extract of Pimpinella anisum L. on picrotoxin induced seizure in mice and its probable mechanism,” Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1–8, 2005.
- D. Karimzadeh, M. Hosseini, D. Mangeng, et al., “Anticonvulsant and neuroprotective effects of Pimpinella anisum in rat brain,” BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 12, article 76, 2012.
- A. Shojaii and M. Abdollahi Fard, “Review of pharmacological properties and chemical constituents of Pimpinella anisum,” ISRN Pharmaceutics, vol. 2012, Article ID 510795, 8 pages, 2012.
- M. Sayyah, J. Valizadeh, and M. Kamalinejad, “Anticonvulsant activity of the leaf essential oil of Laurus nobilis against pentylenetetrazole- and maximal electroshock-induced seizures,” Phytomedicine, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 212–216, 2002.
- D. N. Deshmane, C. H. Gadgoli, and G. V. Halade, “Anticonvulsant effect of Origanum majorana L,” Pharmacologyonline, vol. 1, pp. 64–78, 2007.
- D. Biswas and D. Guha, “Nigella sativa: its role as an anticonvulsant in pentylenetetrazole induced seizures,” Biogenic Amines, vol. 21, no. 1-2, pp. 66–76, 2007.
- A. Ilhan, A. Gurel, F. Armutcu, S. Kamisli, and M. Iraz, “Antiepileptogenic and antioxidant effects of Nigella sativa oil against pentylenetetrazol-induced kindling in mice,” Neuropharmacology, vol. 49, no. 4, pp. 456–464, 2005.
- J. Akhondian, A. Parsa, and H. Rakhshande, “The effect of Nigella sativa L. (black cumin seed) on intractable pediatric seizures,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. CR555–CR559, 2007.
- H. Hosseinzadeh and S. Parvardeh, “Anticonvulsant effects of thymoquinone, the major constituent of Nigella sativa seeds, in mice,” Phytomedicine, vol. 11, no. 1, pp. 56–64, 2004.
- H. Hosseinzadeh, S. Parvardeh, M. Nassiri-Asl, and M.-T. Mansouri, “Intracerebroventricular administration of thymoquinone, the major constituent of Nigella sativa seeds, suppresses epileptic seizures in rats,” Medical Science Monitor, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. BR106–BR110, 2005.
- J. Akhondian, H. Kianifar, M. Raoofziaee, A. Moayedpour, M. B. Toosi, and M. Khajedaluee, “The effect of thymoquinone on intractable Pediatric Seizures (Pilot Study),” Epilepsy Research, vol. 93, no. 1, pp. 39–43, 2011.
- M. R. Juvekar, M. P. Kulkarni, and A. R. Juvekar, “Anti-stress, nootropic and anticonvulsant potential of fruit extracts of Piper longum L.,” Planta Medica, vol. 74, Article ID PA244, 2008.
- S. Pattanaik, D. Hota, S. Prabhakar, P. Kharbanda, and P. Pandhi, “Effect of piperine on the steady-state pharmacokinetics of phenytoin in patients with epilepsy,” Phytotherapy Research, vol. 20, no. 8, pp. 683–686, 2006.
- G. M. P. da Cruz, C. F. B. Felipe, F. A. Scorza, et al., “Piperine decreases pilocarpine-induced convulsions by GABAergic mechanisms,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 104, pp. 144–153, 2013.
- R. D'Hooge, Y.-Q. Pei, A. Raes, P. Lebrun, P.-P. van Bogaert, and P. P. de Deyn, “Anticonvulsant activity of piperine on seizures induced by excitatory amino acid receptor agonists,” Arzneimittel-Forschung, vol. 46, no. 6, pp. 557–560, 1996.
- M. Sayyah, M. Kamalinejad, R. B. Hidage, and A. Rustaiyan, “Antiepileptic potential and composition of the fruit essential oil of Ferula gummosa boiss,” Iranian Biomedical Journal, vol. 5, no. 2-3, pp. 15–16, 2001.
- M. Sayyah, A. Mandgary, and M. Kamalinejad, “Evaluation of the anticonvulsant activity of the seed acetone extract of Ferula gummosa Boiss. against seizures induced by pentylenetetrazole and electroconvulsive shock in mice,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 82, no. 2-3, pp. 105–109, 2002.
- M. Sayyah and A. Mandgary, “Anticonvulsant effect of Ferula gummosa root extract against experimental seizures,” Iranian Biomedical Journal, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 139–143, 2003.
- Z. Kiasalari, M. Khalili, and H. Heidari, “Investigation of Anti-convulsant effect of alcoholic Ferula assa foetida Gum extract ptz-induced kindling model in mice,” Daneshvar Medicine, vol. 18, no. 90, pp. 25–32, 2010.
- Z. Kiasalari, M. Khalili, M. Roghani, and A. Sadeghian, “Antiepileptic and antioxidant effect of Brassica nigra on pentylenetetrazol-induced kindling in mice,” Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 11, no. 4, article 26, pp. 1209–1217, 2012.
- K. Nazeerullah, K. Sunil, S.R. Pal, and D. Neelam, “A pharmacognostic and pharmacological overview on Caesalpinia bonducella,” Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 440–496, 2012.
- A. H. Gilani, N. Aziz, M. A. Khan et al., “Ethnopharmacological evaluation of the anticonvulsant, sedative and antispasmodic activities of Lavandula stoechas L,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, vol. 71, no. 1-2, pp. 161–167, 2000.
- F. Keihanian, M. Rostampour Vajari, A. Saeidynia, and A. Elmieh, “Effect of Ruta graveolens hydro-alcoholic extract on pentylenetetrazole-induced seizure in male mice,” Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 30–36, 2012.