- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 695935, 5 pages
Rehabilitation of Children with Hemiparesis: A Pilot Study on the Use of Virtual Reality
Don Carlo Gnocchi ONLUS Foundation, Piazzale Morandi 6, 20121 Milan, Italy
Received 23 April 2013; Revised 29 August 2013; Accepted 1 September 2013
Academic Editor: Jacob J. Sosnoff
Copyright © 2013 Ivana Olivieri et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- K. Himmelmann, G. Hagberg, and P. Uvebrant, “The changing panorama of cerebral palsy in Sweden. X. Prevalence and origin in the birth-year period 1999–2002,” Acta Paediatrica, International Journal of Paediatrics, vol. 99, no. 9, pp. 1337–1343, 2010.
- L. Sakzewski, J. Ziviani, and R. Boyd, “Systematic review and meta-analysis of therapeutic management of upper-limb dysfunction in children with congenital hemiplegia,” Pediatrics, vol. 123, no. 6, pp. e1111–e1122, 2009.
- S. Miller and D. Reid, “Doing play: competency, control, and expression,” Cyberpsychology and Behavior, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 623–632, 2003.
- K. Laver, S. George, S. Thomas, J. E. Deutsch, and M. Crotty, “Cochrane review: virtual reality for stroke rehabilitation,” European Journal of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 523–5530, 2012.
- L. Mitchell, J. Ziviani, S. Oftedal, and R. Boyd, “The effect of virtual reality interventions on physical activity in children and adolescents with early brain injuries including cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, vol. 54, pp. 667–671, 2012.
- M. Wang and D. Reid, “Virtual reality in pediatric neurorehabilitation: attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, autism and cerebral palsy,” Neuroepidemiology, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 2–18, 2011.
- J. Galvin, R. McDonald, C. Catroppa, and V. Anderson, “Does intervention using virtual reality improve upper limb function in children with neurological impairment: a systematic review of the evidence,” Brain Injury, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 435–442, 2011.
- D. Green and P. H. Wilson, “Use of virtual reality in rehabilitation of movement in children with hemiplegia—a multiple case study evaluation,” Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 34, no. 7, pp. 593–604, 2012.
- R. Palisano, P. Rosenbaum, S. Walter, D. Russell, E. Wood, and B. Galuppi, “Development and reliability of a system to classify gross motor function in children with cerebral palsy,” Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 214–223, 1997.
- D. Russell, P. Rosenbaum, L. Avery, and M. Lane, Gross Motor Function Measure (GMFM-66 and GMFM-88) User's Manual, Mac Keith Press, London, UK, 2002.
- L. Piron, A. Turolla, M. Agostini et al., “Motor learning principles for rehabilitation: a pilot randomized controlled study in poststroke patients,” Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 501–508, 2010.
- M. J. Randall, L. Johnson, and D. Reddihough, The Melbourne Assessment of Unilateral Upper Limb Function: Test Administration Manual, Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia, 1999.
- R. W. Bohannon and M. B. Smith, “Interrater reliability of a modified Ashworth scale of muscle spasticity,” Physical Therapy, vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 206–207, 1987.
- R. S. Kalawsky, “Exploiting virtual reality techniques in education and training: technological Issues,” SIMA Report Series, Loughborough University of Technology, Loughborough, UK, 1996.
- M. Chiappedi, I. M. C. Baschenis, R. Dolci, and M. Bejor, “Importance of a critical reading of neuropsychological testing,” Minerva Pediatrica, vol. 63, no. 3, pp. 239–245, 2011.