- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 697279, 9 pages
The Stepwise Behavioral Responses: Behavioral Adjustment of the Chinese Rare Minnow (Gobiocypris rarus) in the Exposure of Carbamate Pesticides
College of Life Science, Shandong Normal University, Ji’nan 250014, China
Received 3 April 2013; Accepted 22 May 2013
Academic Editor: Qaisar Mahmood
Copyright © 2013 Zongming Ren et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- J. J. Menn and J. B. McBain, “Detection of cholinesterase-inhibiting insecticide chemicals and pharmaceutical alkaloids on thin-layer chromatograms,” Nature, vol. 209, no. 5030, pp. 1351–1352, 1966.
- J. E. Casida, “Esterase inhibitors as pesticides,” Science, vol. 146, no. 3647, pp. 1011–1017, 1964.
- P. L. Shaffer and H. J. Gold, “A simulation model of population dynamics of the codling moth, Cydia pomonella,” Ecological Modelling, vol. 30, no. 3-4, pp. 247–274, 1985.
- D. Hernández-Moreno, F. Soler, M. P. Míguez, and M. Pérez-López, “Brain acetylcholinesterase, malondialdehyde and reduced glutathione as biomarkers of continuous exposure of tench, Tinca tinca, to carbofuran or deltamethrin,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 408, no. 21, pp. 4976–4983, 2010.
- E. Maran, M. Fernández, P. Barbieri, G. Font, and M. J. Ruiz, “Effects of four carbamate compounds on antioxidant parameters,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 72, no. 3, pp. 922–930, 2009.
- A. E. El-Naggar, M. S. Abdalla, A. S. El-Sebaey, and S. M. Badawy, “Clinical findings and cholinesterase levels in children of organophosphates and carbamates poisoning,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 168, pp. 951–956, 2009.
- A. Kumar, H. Doan, M. Barnes, J. C. Chapman, and R. S. Kookana, “Response and recovery of acetylcholinesterase activity in freshwater shrimp, Paratya australiensis (Decapoda: Atyidae) exposed to selected anti-cholinesterase insecticides,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 73, no. 7, pp. 1503–1510, 2010.
- O. L. Bracy, R. S. Doyle, and M. Kennedy, “Effects of methomyl and ethanol on behavior in the Sprague-Dawley rat,” Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 21–25, 1979.
- T. Hanazato, “Pesticide effects on freshwater zooplankton: an ecological perspective,” Environmental Pollution, vol. 112, no. 1, pp. 1–10, 2001.
- A. Azizullah, P. Richter, and D. P. Häder, “Comparative toxicity of the pesticides carbofuran and malathion to the freshwater flagellate Euglena gracilis,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1442–1454, 2011.
- R. J. Kuhr and H. W. Dorough, “Mode of action,” in Carbamate Insecticides: Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Toxicology, CRC, Cleveland, Ohio, USA, 1976.
- A. D. Scarfe, K. A. Jones, and C. W. Steele, “Locomotor behavior of four marine teleosts in response to sublethal copper exposure,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 2, no. 5-6, pp. 335–353, 1982.
- A. J. Farr, C. C. Chabot, and D. H. Taylor, “Behavioral avoidance of fluoranthene by fathead minnows (Pimephales promelas),” Neurotoxicology and Teratology, vol. 17, no. 3, pp. 265–271, 1995.
- E. Kádár, J. Salánki, R. Jugdaohsingh, J. J. Powell, C. R. McCrohan, and K. N. White, “Avoidance responses to aluminium in the freshwater bivalve Anodonta cygnea,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 55, no. 3-4, pp. 137–148, 2001.
- M. Y. V. Bekkedal, G. D. Ritchie, and I. Rossi, “Behavioral sensitization following exposure to low doses of trimethylolpropane phosphate,” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 274, no. 1–3, pp. 119–123, 2001.
- A. K. Eriksson Wiklund, T. Börjesson, and S. J. Wiklund, “Avoidance response of sediment living amphipods to zinc pyrithione as a measure of sediment toxicity,” Marine Pollution Bulletin, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 96–99, 2006.
- A. Egea-Serrano, M. Tejedo, and M. Torralva, “Behavioral responses of the Iberian waterfrog, Pelophylax perezi (Seoane, 1885), to three nitrogenous compounds in laboratory conditions,” Ecotoxicology, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 1246–1257, 2011.
- R. Y. Sun, B. Li, Y. Zhuge, and Y. C. Shang, General Ecology, Higher Education Press, Beijing, China, 1993.
- A. Gerhardt, L. J. De Bisthoven, and A. M. V. Soares, “Evidence for the stepwise stress model: Gambusia holbrooki and Daphnia magna under acid mine drainage and acidified reference water stress,” Environmental Science and Technology, vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 4150–4158, 2005.
- T. L. Tao Liao, S. J. Shiwei Jin, F. X. Yang, Y. H. Yang Hui, and Y. X. Ying Xu, “An enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus) vitellogenin and comparison of vitellogenin responses in rare minnow and zebrafish (Danio rerio),” Science of the Total Environment, vol. 364, no. 1–3, pp. 284–294, 2006.
- X. Zhang, J. Zha, and Z. Wang, “Influences of 4-nonylphenol on doublesex- and mab-3-related transcription factor 1 gene expression and vitellogenin mRNA induction of adult rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus),” Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 196–205, 2008.
- Z. Qun-Fang, J. Gui-Bin, and L. Ji-Yan, “Effects of sublethal levels of tributyltin chloride in a new toxicity test organism: the Chinese rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus),” Archives of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 332–337, 2002.
- L. Yang, J. Zha, W. Li, Z. Li, and Z. Wang, “Vinclozolin affects the interrenal system of the rare minnow (Gobiocypris rarus),” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 104, no. 1-2, pp. 153–159, 2011.
- H. Tahedl and D. P. Häder, “Automated biomonitoring using real time movement analysis of Euglena gracilis,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 48, no. 2, pp. 161–169, 2001.
- G. Zhang, L. Chen, J. Chen, Z. Ren, Z. Wang, and T. S. Chon, “Evidence for the Stepwise Behavioral Response Model (SBRM): the effects of carbamate pesticides on medaka (Oryzias latipes) in an online monitoring system,” Chemosphere, vol. 87, no. 7, pp. 734–741, 2012.
- Z. Li, Z. Ren, M. Ma, Z. Wang, and R. Fu, “Research on the behavioral responses of Daphnia magna in the early warning of organophosphorous pesticide contamination,” China Water and Wastewater, vol. 23, pp. 73–75, 2007.
- T. Kohonen, Self-Organizing Mapse, Springer, Berlin, Germany, 3rd edition, 2001.
- Y. Wang, X. Liu, J. Hu, L. Li, and Y. Li, “The simulation and experimental study of conductance sensor's electric field distribution,” Petroleum Instrument, vol. 1, pp. 16–18, 2007.
- Z. Ren, Z. Li, M. Ma, Z. Wang, and R. Fu, “Behavioral responses of Daphnia magna to stresses of chemicals with different toxic characteristics,” Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology, vol. 82, no. 3, pp. 310–316, 2009.
- M. Sandbacka, I. Christianson, and B. Isomaa, “The acute toxicity of surfactants on fish cells, Daphnia magna and fish—a comparative study,” Toxicology In Vitro, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 2000.
- Z. Ren and Z. Wang, “Differences in the behavior characteristics between Daphnia magna and Japanese madaka in an on-line biomonitoring system,” Journal of Environmental Sciences, vol. 22, no. 5, pp. 703–708, 2010.
- L. Guilhermino, T. Diamantino, M. Carolina Silva, and A. M. V. M. Soares, “Acute toxicity test with Daphnia magna: an alternative to mammals in the prescreening of chemical toxicity?” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 357–362, 2000.
- F. Kong, D. Yin, and G. Yan, Environmental Biology, Higher Education Press, Beijing, China, 2000.
- J. Vesanto, J. Himberg, E. Alhoniemi, J. Parhankangas, S. Team, and L. Oy, “Som toolbox for matlab,” Tech. Rep., Helsinki University of Technology, 2000.
- Y. S. Park, N. I. Chung, K. H. Choi, E. Y. Cha, S. K. Lee, and T. S. Chon, “Computational characterization of behavioral response of medaka (Oryzias latipes) treated with diazinon,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 71, no. 3, pp. 215–228, 2005.
- J. J. Ward, “Hierarchical grouping to optimize an objective function,” Journal of American Statistical Association, vol. 58, pp. 236–244, 1963.
- D. Wishart, “An algorithm for hierarchical classifications,” Biometrics, vol. 25, pp. 165–170, 1969.
- L. R. Rabiner, “A Tutorial on hidden Markov models and selected applications in speech recognition,” Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 77, no. 2, pp. 257–286, 1989.
- Z. Ren, J. Zha, M. Ma, Z. Wang, and A. Gerhardt, “The early warning of aquatic organophosphorus pesticide contamination by on-line monitoring behavioral changes of Daphnia magna,” Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, vol. 134, no. 1–3, pp. 373–383, 2007.
- B. Xuereb, E. Lefèvre, J. Garric, and O. Geffard, “Acetylcholinesterase activity in Gammarus fossarum (Crustacea Amphipoda): linking AChE inhibition and behavioural alteration,” Aquatic Toxicology, vol. 94, no. 2, pp. 114–122, 2009.