- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Recently Accepted Articles ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 698674, 8 pages
Is the Second Sodium Pump Electrogenic?
Laboratorio de Fisiología Molecular, Centro de Biofísica y Bioquímica, Instituto Venezolano de Investigaciones Científicas (IVIC),
Apartado 20632, Caracas 1020 Districo Capital, Venezuela
Received 11 August 2012; Revised 11 November 2012; Accepted 22 November 2012
Academic Editor: Michael D. Coleman
Copyright © 2013 L. E. Thomas et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- L. Schild, “The epithelial sodium channel and the control of sodium balance,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1802, no. 12, pp. 1159–1165, 2010.
- S. Bröer, “Amino acid transport across mammalian intestinal and renal epithelia,” Physiological Reviews, vol. 88, no. 1, pp. 249–286, 2008.
- V. GN. Ganapathy and R. G. Martindale, “Protein digestion and absorption,” in Physiology of Gastrointestinal Tract, L. Johnson, K. Barret, F. Gishan, J. Merchant, H. Said, and J. Wood, Eds., pp. 1667–1692, Academic Press, Meryland, Md, USA, 4th edition, 2006.
- E. Wright, D. Loo, B. Hirayama, and E. Turk, “Sugar absorption,” in Physiology of Gastrointestinal Tract, L. Johnson, K. Barret, F. Gishan, J. Merchant, H. Said, and J. Wood, Eds., pp. 1653–1665, Academic Press, Meryland, Md, USA, 4th edition, 2006.
- P. R. Kiela, H. Xu, and F. K. Ghishan, “Apical NA+/H+ exchangers in the mammalian gastrointestinal tract,” Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, vol. 57, supplement 7, pp. 51–79, 2006.
- G. Whittembury, “Sodium and water transport in kidney proximal tubular cells,” Journal of General Physiology, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 303–314, 1968.
- G. Whittembury and F. Proverbio, “Two modes of Na extrusion in cells from guinea pig kidney cortex slices,” Pflügers Archiv European Journal of Physiology, vol. 316, no. 1, pp. 1–25, 1970.
- J. R. del Castillo and G. Whittembury, “Na+, K+ and Cl- transport in isolated small intestinal cells from guinea pig. Evidences for the existence of a second Na+ pump,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 901, no. 2, pp. 209–216, 1987.
- H. N. Nellans and S. G. Schultz, “Relations among transepithelial sodium transport, potassium exchange, and cell volume in rabbit ileum,” Journal of General Physiology, vol. 68, no. 4, pp. 441–463, 1976.
- J. R. del Castillo and J. W. L. Robinson, “Mg2+-ATP-dependent sodium transport in inside-out basolateral plasma membrane vesicles from guinea-pig small intestinal epithelial cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 812, no. 2, pp. 402–412, 1985.
- J. R. del Castillo and J. W. L. Robinson, “Na+-stimulated ATPase activities in basolateral plasma membranes from guinea-pig small intestinal epithelial cells,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 812, no. 2, pp. 413–422, 1985.
- F. Proverbio and J. R. del Castillo, “Na+-stimulated ATPase activities in kidney basal-lateral plasma membranes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 646, no. 1, pp. 99–108, 1981.
- J. R. del Castillo, R. Marín, T. Proverbio, and F. Proverbio, “Partial characterization of the ouabain-insensitive, Na+-stimulated ATPase activity of kidney basal-lateral plasma membranes,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 692, no. 1, pp. 61–68, 1982.
- F. Proverbio, M. Condrescu Guidi, and G. Whittembury, “Ouabain insensitive Na+ stimulation of AN Mg2+ dependent ATPase in kidney tissue,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 394, no. 2, pp. 281–292, 1975.
- L. E. Thomas, L. Burguillos, and J. R. Del Castillo, “Backdoor phosphorylation of basolateral plasma membranes of small intestinal epithelial cells: characterization of a furosemide-induced phosphoprotein related to the second sodium pump,” Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics, vol. 419, no. 2, pp. 190–197, 2003.
- M. A. Rocafull, F. J. Romero, L. E. Thomas, and J. R. Del Castillo, “Isolation and cloning of the K+-independent, ouabain-insensitive Na+-ATPase,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1808, no. 6, pp. 1684–1700, 2011.
- M. A. Rocafull, F. J. Romero, L. E. Thomas, and J. R. Del Castillo, “The Second Sodium Pump: from the function to the gene,” Pflugers Arch, vol. 463, pp. 755–777, 2012.
- F. Proverbio and G. Whittembury, “Cell electrical potentials during enhanced sodium extrusion in guinea pig kidney cortex slices,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 250, no. 3, pp. 559–578, 1975.
- L. Cariani, L. Thomas, J. Brito, and J. R. del Castillo, “Bismuth citrate in the quantification of inorganic phosphate and its utility in the determination of membrane-bound phosphatases,” Analytical Biochemistry, vol. 324, no. 1, pp. 79–83, 2004.
- K. G. Gadd, “Protein estimation in spinal fluid using Coomassie blue reagent,” Medical Laboratory Sciences, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 61–63, 1981.
- M. A. Rocafull, L. E. Thomas, G. J. Barrera, and J. R. del Castillo, “Differential expression of P-type ATPases in intestinal epithelial cells: identification of putative new atp1a1 splice-variant,” Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 391, no. 1, pp. 152–158, 2010.
- A. M. De Souza, T. L. G. Carvalho, P. M. Sabino et al., “Characterization and partial isolation of ouabain-insensitive Na+-ATPase in MDCK I cells,” Biochimie, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 1425–1432, 2007.
- J. H. Kaplan, “Biochemistry of Na,K-ATPase,” Annual Review of Biochemistry, vol. 71, pp. 511–535, 2002.
- A. Dagenais, R. Fréchette, Y. Yamagata et al., “Downregulation of ENaC activity and expression by TNF-α in alveolar epithelial cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 286, no. 2, pp. L301–L311, 2004.
- H. Mairbäurl, K. Mayer, K. J. Kim, Z. Borok, P. Bärtsch, and E. D. Crandall, “Alveolar epithelial ion and fluid transport hypoxia: decreases active Na transport across primary rat alveolar epithelial cell monolayers,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 282, no. 4, pp. L659–L665, 2002.
- B. E. Cohen, “Amphotericin B membrane action: role for two types of ion channels in eliciting cell survival and lethal effects,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 238, no. 1–3, pp. 1–20, 2010.
- S. A. Lewis and N. K. Wills, “Apical membrane permeability and kinetic properties of the sodium pump in rabbit urinary bladder,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 341, pp. 169–184, 1983.
- B. J. Harvey and B. Lahlou, “Ion-selective micro-electrode studies of the electrochemical potentials in trout urinary bladder,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 370, pp. 467–488, 1986.
- K. U. Petersen and L. Reuss, “Cyclic AMP-induced chloride permeability in the apical membrane of Necturus gallbladder epithelium,” Journal of General Physiology, vol. 81, no. 5, pp. 705–729, 1983.
- R. F. Husted, M. J. Welsh, and J. B. Stokes, “Variability of functional characteristics of MDCK cells,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 250, no. 2, part 1, pp. C214–C221, 1986.
- M. C. Broillet and J. D. Horisberger, “Basolateral membrane potassium conductance of A6 cells,” Journal of Membrane Biology, vol. 124, no. 1, pp. 1–12, 1991.
- S. F. Hsu and R. R. Burnette, “Characterization of the effects of amphotericin B on ion channels in MDCK cells using the patch-clamp technique,” Biochimica et Biophysica Acta, vol. 1329, no. 1, pp. 26–38, 1997.
- J. Beron, L. Mastroberardino, A. Spillmann, and F. Verrey, “Aldosterone modulates sodium kinetics of Na,K-ATPase containing an α1 subunit in A6 kidney cell epithelia,” Molecular Biology of the Cell, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 261–271, 1995.