- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 702871, 9 pages
Analysis of Risk Factors for First Seizure after Stroke in Chinese Patients
1Department of Neurology, Shandong Provincial Hospital Affiliated to Shandong University, Jinan, Shandong Province 250021, China
2Department of Neurology, People’s Hospital of Binzhou, Binzhou, Shandong Province 256610, China
3Department of Neurology, Jinan Military General Hospital, Jinan, Shandong Province 250031, China
4Department of Neurology, PLA General Hospital, Beijing 100853, China
5Department of Neurology, Nanjing General Hospital of Nanjing Military Command, Nanjing 210002, China
6Department of Neurology, Shenyang Military General Hospital, Shenyang 110015, China
7Department of Cardiovascular Functional Studies, China Meitan General Hospital, Beijing 100028, China
Received 6 May 2013; Revised 7 August 2013; Accepted 15 September 2013
Academic Editor: Elisabeth Andreadou
Copyright © 2013 Guoqing Wang et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- W. A. Hauser, J. F. Annegers, and L. T. Kurland, “Incidence of epilepsy and unprovoked seizures in Rochester, Minnesota: 1935–1984,” Epilepsia, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 453–468, 1993.
- K. Luhdorf, L. K. Jensen, and A. M. Plesner, “Etiology of seizures in the elderly,” Epilepsia, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 458–463, 1986.
- J. Reith, H. S. Jørgensen, H. Nakayama, H. O. Raaschou, and T. S. Olsen, “Seizures in acute stroke: predictors and prognostic significance: the copenhagen stroke study,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1585–1589, 1997.
- B. Pohlmann-Eden, D. B. Hoch, J. I. Cochius, and M. G. Hennerici, “Stroke and epilepsy: critical review of the literature. Part I: epidemiology and risk factors,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 332–338, 1996.
- I. E. Silverman, L. Restrepo, and G. C. Mathews, “Poststroke seizures,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 195–201, 2002.
- J. M. Ferro and F. Pinto, “Poststroke epilepsy: epidemiology, pathophysiology and management,” Drugs and Aging, vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 639–653, 2004.
- O. Camilo and L. B. Goldstein, “Seizures and epilepsy after ischemic stroke,” Stroke, vol. 35, no. 7, pp. 1769–1775, 2004.
- C. Lamy, V. Domigo, F. Semah et al., “Early and late seizures after cryptogenic ischemic stroke in young adults,” Neurology, vol. 60, no. 3, pp. 400–404, 2003.
- E. L. So, J. F. Annegers, W. A. Hauser, P. C. O'Brien, and J. P. Whisnant, “Population-based study of seizure disorders after cerebral infarction,” Neurology, vol. 46, no. 2, pp. 350–355, 1996.
- T. S. Olsen, “Post-stroke epilepsy,” Current Atherosclerosis Reports, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 340–344, 2001.
- M. Feleppa, W. Di Iorio, and D. Mario Teodosio Saracino, “Early poststroke seizures,” Clinical and Experimental Hypertension, vol. 28, no. 3-4, pp. 265–270, 2006.
- J. Burn, M. Dennis, J. Bamford, P. Sandercock, D. Wade, and C. Warlow, “Epileptic seizures after a first stroke: the Oxfordshire community stroke project,” British Medical Journal, vol. 315, no. 7122, pp. 1582–1587, 1997.
- H. Butzkueven, A. H. Evans, A. Pitman et al., “Onset seizures independently predict poor outcome after subarachnoid hemorrhage,” Neurology, vol. 55, no. 9, pp. 1315–1320, 2000.
- J. Bogousslavsky, G. Van Melle, and F. Regli, “The Lausanne Stroke Registry: analysis of 1,000 consecutive patients with first stroke,” Stroke, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 1083–1092, 1988.
- C. F. Bladin, A. V. Alexandrov, A. Bellavance et al., “Seizures after stroke: a prospective multicenter study,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 57, no. 11, pp. 1617–1622, 2000.
- C.-M. Cheung, T.-H. Tsoi, M. Au-Yeung, and A. S.-Y. Tang, “Epileptic seizure after stroke in Chinese patients,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 250, no. 7, pp. 839–843, 2003.
- A. Arboix, L. García-Eroles, J. B. Massons, M. Oliveres, and E. Comes, “Predictive factors of early seizures after acute cerebrovascular disease,” Stroke, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1590–1594, 1997.
- Y.-K. Lo, C.-H. Yiu, H.-H. Hu, M.-S. Su, and S.-C. Laeuchli, “Frequency and characteristics of early seizures in Chinese acute stroke,” Acta Neurologica Scandinavica, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 83–85, 1994.
- C. R. Hornig, T. Buttner, A. Hufnagel, K. Schroder-Rosenstock, and W. Dorndorf, “Epileptic seizures following ischaemic cerebral infarction: clinical picture, CT findings and prognosis,” European Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences, vol. 239, no. 6, pp. 379–383, 1990.
- C. J. Kilpatrick, S. M. Davis, B. M. Tress, S. C. Rossiter, J. L. Hopper, and M. L. Vandendriesen, “Epileptic seizures in acute stroke,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 157–160, 1990.
- C.-Y. Sung and N.-S. Chu, “Epileptic seizures in thrombotic stroke,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 237, no. 3, pp. 166–170, 1990.
- C. J. Kilpatrick, S. M. Davis, J. L. Hopper, and S. C. Rossiter, “Early seizures after acute stroke: risk of late seizures,” Archives of Neurology, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 509–511, 1992.
- S. Berges, T. Moulin, E. Berger et al., “Seizures and epilepsy following strokes: recurrence factors,” European Neurology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 3–8, 2000.
- C. Bentes, J. Pimentel, and J. M. Ferro, “Epileptic seizures following subcortical infarcts,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 331–334, 2001.
- A. K. Dhanuka, U. K. Misra, and J. Kalita, “Seizures after stroke: a prospective clinical study,” Neurology India, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 33–36, 2001.
- S. K. Velioǧlu, M. Özmenoǧlu, C. Boz, and Z. Alioǧlu, “Status epilepticus after stroke,” Stroke, vol. 32, no. 5, pp. 1169–1172, 2001.
- M. I. Lossius, O. M. Rønning, P. Mowinckel, and L. Gjerstad, “Incidence and predictors for post-stroke epilepsy. A prospective controlled trial. The Akershus stroke study,” European Journal of Neurology, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 365–368, 2002.
- N. Afsar, D. Kaya, S. Aktan, and C. Aykut-Bingol, “Stroke and status epilepticus: stroke type, type of status epilepticus, and prognosis,” Seizure, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 23–27, 2003.
- J. De Reuck, M. Goethals, K. Vonck, and G. Van Maele, “Clinical predictors of late-onset seizures and epilepsy in patients with cerebrovascular disease,” European Neurology, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 68–72, 2005.
- H. Misirli, A. Özge, G. Somay, N. Erdoǧan, H. Erkal, and N. Y. Erenoǧlu, “Seizure development after stroke,” International Journal of Clinical Practice, vol. 60, no. 12, pp. 1536–1541, 2006.
- J. De Reuck, E. Nagy, and G. Van Maele, “Seizures and epilepsy in patients with lacunar strokes,” Journal of the Neurological Sciences, vol. 263, no. 1-2, pp. 75–78, 2007.
- D. M. Treiman, “Electroclinical features of status epilepticus,” Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 343–362, 1995.
- K. Minematsu, T. Yamaguchi, and T. Omae, “'Spectacular shrinking deficit': rapid recovery from a major hemispheric syndrome by migration of an embolus,” Neurology, vol. 42, no. 1, pp. 157–162, 1992.
- American Psychiatric Association, Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, American Psychiatric Association, Washington, DC, USA, 3rd edition, 1987.
- H. P. Adams Jr., B. H. Bendixen, L. J. Kappelle et al., “Classification of subtype of acute ischemic stroke: definitions for use in a multicenter clinical trial,” Stroke, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 35–41, 1993.
- G. L. Holmes, “The electroencephalogram as a predictor of seizures following cerebral infarction,” Clinical EEG Electroencephalography, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 83–86, 1980.
- J. De Reuck, M. Goethals, I. Claeys, G. Van Maele, and M. De Clerck, “EEG findings after a cerebral territorial infarct in patients who develop early- and late-onset seizures,” European Neurology, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 209–213, 2006.
- O. Mecarelli, S. Pro, F. Randi et al., “EEG patterns and epileptic seizures in acute phase stroke,” Cerebrovascular Diseases, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 191–198, 2011.
- C.-Y. Sung and N.-S. Chu, “Epileptic seizures in intracerebral haemorrhage,” Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 1273–1276, 1989.
- A. N. Pinto, P. Canhão, and J. M. Ferro, “Seizures at the onset of subarachnoid haemorrhage,” Journal of Neurology, vol. 243, no. 2, pp. 161–164, 1996.
- E. Faught, D. Peters, A. Bartolucci, L. Moore, and P. C. Miller, “Seizures after primary intracerebral hemorrhage,” Neurology, vol. 39, no. 8, pp. 1089–1093, 1989.
- L. Milandre, P. Broca, R. Sambuc, and R. Khalil, “Post-stroke seizures. A clinical study of 78 cases,” Revue Neurologique, vol. 148, no. 12, pp. 767–772, 1992.
- D. L. Labovitz, W. Allen Hauser, and R. L. Sacco, “Prevalence and predictors of early seizure and status epilepticus after first stroke,” Neurology, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 200–206, 2001.
- S. R. Gupta, M. H. Naheedy, D. Elias, and F. A. Rubino, “Postinfarction seizures. A clinical study,” Stroke, vol. 19, no. 12, pp. 1477–1481, 1988.
- A. Arboix, E. Comes, L. García-Eroles, J. B. Massons, M. Oliveres, and M. Balcells, “Prognostic value of very early seizures for in-hospital mortality in atherothrombotic infarction,” European Neurology, vol. 50, no. 2, pp. 78–84, 2003.
- T.-M. Yang, W.-C. Lin, W.-N. Chang et al., “Predictors and outcome of seizures after spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage: clinical article,” Journal of Neurosurgery, vol. 111, no. 1, pp. 87–93, 2009.
- M. E. Lancman, A. Golimstok, J. Norscini, R. Granillo, P. Genton, and C. G. Lipinski, “Risk factors for developing seizures after a stroke,” Epilepsia, vol. 34, no. 1, pp. 141–143, 1993.
- A. R. Berger, R. B. Lipton, M. L. Lesser, G. Lantos, and R. K. Portenoy, “Early seizures following intracerebral hemorrhage: implications for therapy,” Neurology, vol. 38, no. 9, pp. 1363–1365, 1988.
- L. A. Weisberg, M. Shamsnia, and D. Elliott, “Seizures caused by nontraumatic parenchymal brain hemorrhages,” Neurology, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 1197–1199, 1991.
- S. Passero, R. Rocchi, S. Rossi, M. Ulivelli, and G. Vatti, “Seizures after spontaneous supratentorial intracerebral hemorrhage,” Epilepsia, vol. 43, no. 10, pp. 1175–1180, 2002.
- D. Hasan, R. S. M. Schonck, C. J. J. Avezaat, H. L. J. Tanghe, J. van Gijn, and P. J. M. van der Lugt, “Epileptic seizures after subarachnoid hemorrhage,” Annals of Neurology, vol. 33, no. 3, pp. 286–291, 1993.