- About this Journal ·
- Abstracting and Indexing ·
- Advance Access ·
- Aims and Scope ·
- Annual Issues ·
- Article Processing Charges ·
- Articles in Press ·
- Author Guidelines ·
- Bibliographic Information ·
- Citations to this Journal ·
- Contact Information ·
- Editorial Board ·
- Editorial Workflow ·
- Free eTOC Alerts ·
- Publication Ethics ·
- Reviewers Acknowledgment ·
- Submit a Manuscript ·
- Subscription Information ·
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 703626, 7 pages
Schiff Base Metal Derivatives Enhance the Expression of HSP70 and Suppress BAX Proteins in Prevention of Acute Gastric Lesion
1Department of Biomedical Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2Institute of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4Faculty of Dentistry, Universiti Teknologi MARA, 40450 Shah Alam, Malaysia
5Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 43400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Received 26 June 2013; Accepted 22 September 2013
Academic Editor: Ibrahim Banat
Copyright © 2013 Shahram Golbabapour et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- H. Khaledi, A. A. Alhadi, W. A. Yehye, H. M. Ali, M. A. Abdulla, and P. Hassandarvish, “Antioxidant, cytotoxic activities, and structure-activity relationship of gallic acid-based indole derivatives,” Archiv der Pharmazie, vol. 344, no. 11, pp. 703–709, 2011.
- M. T. H. Tarafder, M. A. Ali, D. J. Wee, K. Azahari, S. Silong, and K. A. Crouse, “Complexes of a tridentate ONS Schiff base. Synthesis and biological properties,” Transition Metal Chemistry, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 456–460, 2000.
- S. B. Desai, P. B. Desai, and K. R. Desai, “Synthesis of some Schiff bases,thiazolidinones and azetidinones derived from 2,6-diaminobenzo[1,2-d:4,5-d′] bisthiazole and their anticancer activities,” Heterocyclic Communications, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 83–90, 2001.
- A. A. Osowole, I. Ott, and O. M. Ogunlana, “Synthesis, spectroscopic, anticancer, and antimicrobial properties of some metal (II) complexes of (substituted) nitrophenol Schiff base,” International Journal of Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 2012, Article ID 206417, 6 pages, 2012.
- B. Duff, V. R. Thangella, B. S. Creaven, et al., “Anti-cancer activity and mutagenic potential of novel copper(II) quinolinone Schiff base complexes in hepatocarcinoma cells,” European Journal of Pharmacology, vol. 689, no. 1–3, pp. 45–55, 2012.
- K. Shanker, R. Rohini, V. Ravinder, P. M. Reddy, and Y.-P. Ho, “Ru(II) complexes of N4 and N2O2 macrocyclic Schiff base ligands: their antibacterial and antifungal studies,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 73, no. 1, pp. 205–211, 2009.
- R. A. Sheikh, M. Y. Wani, S. Shreaz, and A. A. Hashmi, “Synthesis, characterization and biological screening of some Schiff base macrocyclic ligand based transition metal complexes as antifungal agents,” Arabian Journal of Chemistry, 2011.
- K. S. Kumar, S. Ganguly, R. Veerasamy, and E. de Clercq, “Synthesis, antiviral activity and cytotoxicity evaluation of Schiff bases of some 2-phenyl quinazoline-4(3)H-ones,” European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 5474–5479, 2010.
- M. S. Alam, J. H. Choi, and D. U. Lee, “Synthesis of novel Schiff base analogues of 4-amino-1, 5-dimethyl-2-phenylpyrazol-3-one and their evaluation for antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity,” Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, vol. 20, no. 13, pp. 4103–4108, 2012.
- A. Jarrahpour, J. Sheikh, I. Mounsi, et al., “Computational evaluation and experimental in vitro antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral activity of bis-Schiff bases of isatin and its derivatives,” Medicinal Chemistry Research, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 1203–1211, 2013.
- A. Golcu, M. Tumer, H. Demirelli, and R. A. Wheatley, “Cd(II) and Cu(II) complexes of polydentate Schiff base ligands: synthesis, characterization, properties and biological activity,” Inorganica Chimica Acta, vol. 358, no. 6, pp. 1785–1797, 2005.
- S. Golbabapour, N. S. Gwaram, P. Hassandarvish, et al., “Gastroprotection studies of Schiff base zinc (II) derivative complex against acute superficial hemorrhagic mucosal lesions in rats,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 9, Article ID e75036, 2013.
- N. S. Gwaram, L. Musalam, H. M. Ali, and M. A. Abdulla, “Synthesis of 2′-(5-chloro-2-hydroxybenzylidene) benzenesulfanohydrazide Schiff base and its anti-ulcer activity in ethanol-induced gastric mucosal lesions in rats,” Tropical Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, vol. 11, no. 2, pp. 251–257, 2012.
- M. Ibrahim, H. Ali, M. Abdullah, et al., “Acute toxicity and gastroprotective effect of the Schiff base ligand 1H-indole-3-ethylene-5-nitrosalicylaldimine and its nickel (II) complex on ethanol induced gastric lesions in rats,” Molecules, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 12449–12459, 2012.
- R. Nirmal, C. R. Prakash, K. Meenakshi, and P. Shanmugapandiyan, “Synthesis and pharmacological evaluation of novel Schiff base analogues of 3-(4-amino) phenylimino) 5-fluoroindolin-2-one,” Journal of Young Pharmacists, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 162–168, 2010.
- M. Hajrezaie, S. Golbabapour, P. Hassandarvish, et al., “Acute toxicity and gastroprotection studies of a new Schiff base derived copper (II) complex against ethanol-induced acute gastric lesions in rats,” PLoS ONE, vol. 7, no. 12, Article ID e51537, 2012.
- M. S. Salga, H. M. Ali, M. A. Abdulla, and S. I. Abdelwahab, “Gastroprotective activity and mechanism of novel dichlorido-zinc(II)-4-(2- (5-methoxybenzylideneamino)ethyl)piperazin-1-iumphenolate complex on ethanol-induced gastric ulceration,” Chemico-Biological Interactions, vol. 195, no. 2, pp. 144–153, 2012.
- R. H. Burdon, “Heat shock and the heat shock proteins,” Biochemical Journal, vol. 240, no. 2, pp. 313–324, 1986.
- U. Jakob, M. Gaestel, K. Engel, and J. Buchner, “Small heat shock proteins are molecular chaperones,” Journal of Biological Chemistry, vol. 268, no. 3, pp. 1517–1520, 1993.
- E. A. Craig, B. D. Gambill, and R. J. Nelson, “Heat shock proteins: molecular chaperones of protein biogenesis,” Microbiological Reviews, vol. 57, no. 2, pp. 402–414, 1993.
- K. Hannavy, S. Rospert, and G. Schatz, “Protein import into mitochondria: a paradigm for the translocation of polypeptides across membranes,” Current Opinion in Cell Biology, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 694–700, 1993.
- Y. Shi and J. O. Thomas, “The transport of proteins into the nucleus requires the 70-kilodalton heat shock protein or its cytosolic cognate,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 2186–2192, 1992.
- R. Zimmermann, “The role of molecular chaperones in protein transport into the mammalian endoplasmic reticulum,” Biological Chemistry, vol. 379, no. 3, pp. 275–282, 1998.
- A. R. Clarke, “Molecular chaperones in protein folding and translocation,” Current Opinion in Structural Biology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 43–50, 1996.
- E. M. Creagh, R. J. Carmody, and T. G. Cotter, “Heat shock protein 70 inhibits caspase-dependent and -independent apoptosis in Jurkat T cells,” Experimental Cell Research, vol. 257, no. 1, pp. 58–66, 2000.
- D. D. Mosser, A. W. Caron, L. Bourget et al., “The chaperone function of hsp70 is required for protection against stress-induced apoptosis,” Molecular and Cellular Biology, vol. 20, no. 19, pp. 7146–7159, 2000.
- R. Al Batran, F. Al-Bayaty, M. A. Abdulla, et al., “Gastroprotective effects of Corchorus olitorius leaf extract against ethanol-induced gastric mucosal hemorrhagic lesions in rats,” Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 28, no. 8, pp. 1321–1329, 2013.
- I. F. Ismail, S. Golbabapour, P. Hassandarvish, et al., “Gastroprotective activity of polygonum Chinense aqueous leaf extract on ethanol-induced hemorrhagic mucosal lesions in rats,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 404012, 9 pages, 2012.
- K. A. Ketuly, A. H. Hadi, S. Golbabapour, et al., “Acute toxicity and gastroprotection studies with a newly synthesized steroid,” PLoS ONE, vol. 8, no. 3, Article ID e59296, 2013.
- Y. Tsukimi and S. Okabe, “Recent advances in gastrointestinal pathophysiology: role of heat shock proteins in mucosal defense and ulcer healing,” Biological and Pharmaceutical Bulletin, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 1–9, 2001.
- S. Golbabapour, M. Hajrezaie, P. Hassandarvish, et al., “Acute toxicity and gastroprotective role of M. Pruriens in ethanol-induced gastric mucosal injuries in rats,” BioMed Research International, vol. 2013, Article ID 974185, 13 pages, 2013.
- T. Strobel, L. Swanson, S. Korsmeyer, and S. A. Cannistra, “BAX enhances paclitaxel-induced apoptosis through a p53-independent pathway,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 93, no. 24, pp. 14094–14099, 1996.
- K. G. Wolter, Y.-T. Hsu, C. L. Smith, A. Nechushtan, X.-G. Xi, and R. J. Youle, “Movement of Bax from the cytosol to mitochondria during apoptosis,” Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 139, no. 5, pp. 1281–1292, 1997.
- H. Ohkura, D. O. Berbasov, and V. A. Soloshonok, “Chemo- and regioselectivity in the reactions between highly electrophilic fluorine containing dicarbonyl compounds and amines. Improved synthesis of the corresponding imines/enamines,” Tetrahedron, vol. 59, no. 10, pp. 1647–1656, 2003.
- P. G. Cozzi, “Metal-salen Schiff base complexes in catalysis: practical aspects,” Chemical Society Reviews, vol. 33, no. 7, pp. 410–421, 2004.
- M. Tümer, D. Ekinci, F. Tümer, and A. Bulut, “Synthesis, characterization and properties of some divalent metal(II) complexes: their electrochemical, catalytic, thermal and antimicrobial activity studies,” Spectrochimica Acta A, vol. 67, no. 3-4, pp. 916–929, 2007.
- S. C. Menon, H. B. Singh, R. P. Patel, and S. K. Kulshreshtha, “Synthesis, structure and reactions of the first tellurium-containing macrocyclic Schiff base,” Journal of the Chemical Society, no. 7, pp. 1203–1207, 1996.
- Y. Pérez, A. Oyárzabal, R. Mas, et al., “Protective effect of D-002, a mixture of beeswax alcohols, against indomethacin-induced gastric ulcers and mechanism of action,” Journal of Natural Medicines, vol. 67, no. 1, pp. 182–189, 2013.
- Y. Raji, W. A. Oyeyemi, S. T. Shittu, et al., “Gastro-protective effect of methanol extract of Ficus asperifolia bark on indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in rats,” Nigerian Journal of Physiological Sciences, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 43–48, 2011.
- V. Mishra, M. Agrawal, S. A. Onasanwo, et al., “Anti-secretory and cyto-protective effects of chebulinic acid isolated from the fruits of Terminalia chebula on gastric ulcers,” Phytomedicine, vol. 20, no. 6, pp. 506–511, 2013.
- R. Colucci, L. Antonioli, N. Bernardini, et al., “Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug-activated gene-1 plays a role in the impairing effects of cyclooxygenase inhibitors on gastric ulcer healing,” Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, vol. 342, no. 1, pp. 140–149, 2012.
- S. Mohan, S. I. Abdelwahab, B. Kamalidehghan, et al., “Involvement of NF-κB and Bcl2/Bax signaling pathways in the apoptosis of MCF7 cells induced by a xanthone compound Pyranocycloartobiloxanthone A,” Phytomedicine, vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 1007–1015, 2012.