- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 704763, 10 pages
Role of Digoxin-Like Immunoreactive Substance in the Pathogenesis of Transient Tachypnea of Newborn
1Division of Neonatology, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Bornova, Izmir, Turkey
2Division of Pediatric Cardiology, Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Turkey
3Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine, Ege University, Turkey
Received 19 April 2013; Accepted 7 June 2013
Academic Editor: Emilia Lecuona
Copyright © 2013 Mehmet Yalaz et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- T. Hansen and A. Corbet, “Disorders of the transition,” in Avery’s Diseases of Newborn, H. W. Taeusch and R. A. Ballard, Eds., pp. 613–615, WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, Pa, USA, 7th edition, 1998.
- L. Jain and G. G. Dudell, “Respiratory Transition in Infants delivered by cesarean section,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 296–304, 2006.
- L. Bonafé and F. F. Rubaltelli, “The incidence of acute neonatal respiratory disorders in Padova county: an epidemiological survey,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 85, no. 10, pp. 1236–1240, 1996.
- M. J. Miller, A. A. Fanaroff, and R. J. Martin, “Respiratory disorders in preterm and term infants' transient tachypnea,” in Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine Diseases of the Fetus and Infant, A. A. Fanaroff and R. J. Martin, Eds., p. 1046, Mosby-Year Book, St Louis, Miss, USA, 6th edition, 1998.
- T. L. Gross, R. J. Sokol, M. S. Kwong, M. Wilson, and P. M. Kuhnert, “Transient tachypnea of the newborn: the relationship to preterm delivery and significant neonatal morbidity,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 146, no. 3, pp. 236–241, 1983.
- C. Dani, M. F. Reali, G. Bertini et al., “Risk factors for the development of respiratory distress syndrome and transient tachypnoea in newborn infants,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 155–159, 1999.
- H. L. Halliday, G. McClure, and M. M. Reid, “Transient tachypnoea of the newborn: two distinct clinical entities?” Archives of Disease in Childhood, vol. 56, no. 5, pp. 322–325, 1981.
- L. Jain and D. C. Eaton, “Physiology of fetal lung fluid clearance and the effect of labor,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 34–43, 2006.
- L. Jain and G. G. Dudell, “Respiratory transition in infants delivered by cesarean section,” Seminars in Perinatology, vol. 30, no. 5, pp. 296–304, 2006.
- C. W. Gowen Jr., E. E. Lawson, J. Gingras, R. C. Boucher, J. T. Gatzy, and M. R. Knowles, “Electrical potential difference and ion transport across nasal epithelium of term neonates: correlation with mode of delivery, transient tachypnea of the newborn, and respiratory rate,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 113, no. 1, pp. 121–127, 1988.
- M. Yurdakök, “Transient tachypnea of the newborn: what is new?” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 24–26, 2010.
- E. Aslan, E. Tutdibi, S. Martens, Y. Han, D. Monz, and L. Gortner, “Transient tachypnea of the newborn (TTN): a role for polymorphisms in the β-adrenergic receptor (ADRB) encoding genes?” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 97, no. 10, pp. 1346–1350, 2008.
- Y. Li, M.-O. Marcoux, M. Gineste, M. Vanpee, M. Zelenina, and C. Casper, “Expression of water and ion transporters in tracheal aspirates from neonates with respiratory distress,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 98, no. 11, pp. 1729–1737, 2009.
- O. Aydemir, C. Aydemir, Y. U. Sarikabadayi et al., “The role of plasma N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide in predicting the severity of transient tachypnea of the newborn,” Early Human Development, vol. 88, no. 5, pp. 315–319, 2012.
- K. A. Gruber, J. M. Whitaker, and V. M. Buckalew Jr., “Endogenous digitalis-like substance in plasma of volume-expanded dogs,” Nature, vol. 287, no. 5784, pp. 743–745, 1980.
- E. Berendes, P. Cullen, H. Van Aken et al., “Endogenous glycosides in critically ill patients,” Critical Care Medicine, vol. 31, no. 5, pp. 1331–1337, 2003.
- A. Dasgupta, “Endogenous and exogenous digoxin-like immunoreactive substances: impact on therapeutic drug monitoring of digoxin,” American Journal of Clinical Pathology, vol. 118, no. 1, pp. 132–140, 2002.
- E. Garbagnati, “Serum digoxin-like immunoreactive factor in children and its relation to sodium metabolism,” Acta Paediatrica, vol. 87, no. 5, pp. 500–504, 1998.
- H. Ebara, S. Suzuki, K. Nagashima, S. Shimano, and T. Kuroume, “Digoxin-like immunoreactive substances in urine and serum from preterm and term infants: relationship to renal excretion of sodium,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 108, no. 5, part 1, pp. 760–762, 1986.
- S. J. Phelps, E. B. Cochran, A. Gonzalez-Ruiz, E. A. Tolley, K. D. Hammond, and B. M. Sibai, “The influence of gestational age and preeclampsia on the presence and magnitude of serum endogenous digoxin-like immunoreactive substance(s),” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 158, no. 1, pp. 34–39, 1988.
- R. Valdes Jr., “Endogenous digoxin-like immunoreactive factors: impact on digoxin measurements and potential physiological implications,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 31, no. 9, pp. 1525–1532, 1985.
- J. S. Rawlings and F. R. Smith, “Transient tachypnea of the newborn. An analysis of neonatal and obstetric risk factors,” American Journal of Diseases of Children, vol. 138, no. 9, pp. 869–871, 1984.
- “Renal disease,” in Neonatology: Management, Procedures, On-Call Problems, Disease, and Drugs, T. L. Gomella, Ed., pp. 515–519, Appleton Lange, Stamford, Conn, USA, 4th edition, 2003.
- M. E. Koivunen and R. L. Krogsrud, “Principles of immunochemical techniques used in clinical laboratories,” Laboratory Medicine, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 490–497, 2006.
- W. L. Henry, A. DeMaria, R. Gramiak, et al., “Report of the American society of echocardiography committee on nomenclature and standards in two-dimensional echocardiography,” Circulation, vol. 62, no. 2, pp. 212–217, 1980.
- N. Silverman, “Quantitative methods to enhance morphological information using M-mode doppler and cross sectional ultrasound,” in Paediatric Echocardiography, N. Silverman, Ed., pp. 35–36, Williams and Wilkins, London, UK, 1993.
- Y. Song, N. Fukuda, C. Bai, T. Ma, M. A. Matthay, and A. S. Verkman, “Role of aquaporins in alveolar fluid clearance in neonatal and adult lung, and in oedema formation following acute lung injury: studies in transgenic aquaporin null mice,” Journal of Physiology, vol. 525, no. 3, pp. 771–779, 2000.
- C. Sartori and M. A. Matthay, “Alveolar epithelial fluid transport in acute lung injury: new insights,” European Respiratory Journal, vol. 20, no. 5, pp. 1299–1313, 2002.
- W. G. Olivera, K. M. Ridge, and J. I. Sznajder, “Lung liquid clearance and NA, K-ATPase during acute hyperoxia and recovery in rats,” American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, vol. 152, no. 4, part 1, pp. 1229–1234, 1995.
- D. Zuege, S. Suzuki, and Y. Berthiaume, “Increase of lung sodium-potassium-ATPase activity during recovery from high-permeability pulmonary edema,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 271, no. 6, pp. L896–L909, 1996.
- H. M. Qazzaz, Z. Cao, D. D. Bolanowski, B. J. Clark, and R. Valdes Jr., “De novo biosynthesis and radiolabeling of mammalian digitalis-like factors,” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 612–620, 2004.
- M. R. Pudek, D. W. Seccombe, M. F. Whitfield, and E. Ling, “Digoxin-like immunoreactivity in premature and full-term infants not receiving digoxin therapy,” The New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 308, no. 15, pp. 904–905, 1983.
- J.-M. Bertrand, J. P. Langhendries, A. Gras, and O. Battisti, “Digoxin-like immunoreactive substance in serum of preterm and full-term neonates,” European Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 146, no. 2, pp. 145–146, 1987.
- R. Valdes Jr., S. W. Graves, B. A. Brown, and M. Landt, “Endogenous substance in newborn infants causing false positive digoxin measurements,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 102, no. 6, pp. 947–950, 1983.
- B. Wolach, D. Carmi, L. Shilo, S. Dolev, and L. Shenkman, “Endogenous digoxin-like factor in neonates: effect of age and relation to serum bilirubin levels,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 364–368, 1989.
- T. J. Cole, J. A. Blendy, A. P. Monaghan et al., “Targeted disruption of the glucocorticoid receptor gene blocks adrenergic chromaffin cell development and severely retards lung maturation,” Genes and Development, vol. 9, no. 13, pp. 1608–1621, 1995.
- U. H. Thome, I. C. Davis, S. V. Nguyen, B. J. Shelton, and S. Matalon, “Modulation of sodium transport in fetal alveolar epithelial cells by oxygen and corticosterone,” American Journal of Physiology, vol. 284, no. 2, pp. L376–L385, 2003.
- E. Mildenberger, K. Oels, K. Bauer, M. Paul, and H. T. Versmold, “Digoxin-like immunoreactive substance in nonoliguric hyperkalemia of the premature infant,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 182–187, 2003.
- N. Tansuğ, N. Kütükçüler, R. Oral, M. Akisu, and N. Kültürsay, “Yenidoğanlarda atrial natriüretik peptid düzeyleri,” MN KlinikBilimler, vol. 1, pp. 169–172, 1995.
- N. Modi, P. Bétrémieux, J. Midgley, and G. Hartnoll, “Postnatal weight loss and contraction of the extracellular compartment is triggered by atrial natriuretic peptide,” Early Human Development, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 201–208, 2000.
- E. Pesonen, G. P. Heldt, T. A. Merritt et al., “Atrial natriuretic factor and pulmonary status in premature infants with respiratory distress syndrome: preliminary investigation,” Pediatric Pulmonology, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 362–364, 1993.
- E. E. Önal, U. Dilmen, B. Adam, C. Türkyilmaz, F. K. Uysal, and D. Oǧuz, “Serum atrial natriuretic peptide levels in infants with transient tachypnea of the newborn,” Journal of Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Medicine, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 145–149, 2005.
- S. J. Phelps, C. A. Kamper, M. B. Bottorff, and B. S. Alpert, “Effect of age and serum creatinine on endogenous digoxin-like substances in infants and children,” Journal of Pediatrics, vol. 110, no. 1, pp. 136–139, 1987.
- A. Clerico, A. Boldrini, M. G. Del Chicca, et al., “Correlations between digoxin-like immunoreactivity and electrolyte values in urinary samples of newborns,” Biology of the Neonate, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 27–35, 1986.
- S. W. Graves, B. Brown, and R. Valdes Jr., “An endogenous digoxin-like substance in patients with renal impairment,” Annals of Internal Medicine, vol. 99, no. 5, pp. 604–608, 1983.
- S. Coskun, H. Yüksel, Y. Bilgi, S. Lacin, N. Tansug, and A. Onag, “Non-invasive evaluation of the adaptations of cardiac function in the neonatal period: a comparison of healthy infants delivered by vaginal route and caesarean section,” Acta Medica Okayama, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 213–218, 2001.
- S. Kishkurno, Y. Takahashi, K. Harada, A. Ishida, M. Tamura, and G. Takada, “Postnatal changes in left ventricular volume and contractility in healthy term infants,” Pediatric Cardiology, vol. 18, no. 2, pp. 91–95, 1997.
- S. J. Clark, C. W. Yoxall, and N. V. Subhedar, “Measurement of right ventricular volume in healthy term and preterm neonates,” Archives of Disease in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. F89–F93, 2002.
- K. Heinonen, “Initial systolic time intervals as predictors of the severity of transient tachypnea on term neonates,” Acta Paediatrica Scandinavica, vol. 72, no. 1, pp. 111–114, 1983.
- H. S. Friedman, B. Babb, I.-B. Shim, G. Sotomora, S. M. Farrer, and B. C. Vasavada, “Demonstration of a relation between urinary digoxin-like immunoreactive substance and cardiac performance,” Chest, vol. 103, no. 3, pp. 878–881, 1993.
- V. Schreiber, F. Kolbel, J. Stepan, I. Gregorová, and T. Pribyl, “Digoxin-like immunoreactivity in the serum of rats with cardiac overload,” Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 107–110, 1981.
- W. Schoner and G. Scheiner-Bobis, “Endogenous and exogenous cardiac glycosides and their mechanisms of action,” American Journal of Cardiovascular Drugs, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 173–189, 2007.
- O. Giampietro, A. Clerico, G. Gregori et al., “Increased urinary excretion of digoxin-like immunoreactive substance by insulin-dependent diabetic patients: a linkage with hypertension?” Clinical Chemistry, vol. 34, no. 12, pp. 2418–2422, 1988.
- C. Palombo, C. Marabotti, A. Genovesi-Ebert, et al., “Acute hypotensive effect of calcium antagonists and endogenous digitalis-like immunoreactivity in human essential hypertension,” Journal of Hypertension Supplement, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. S461–S464, 1986.