- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 705862, 6 pages
HLA-B*40 Allele Plays a Role in the Development of Acute Leukemia in Mexican Population: A Case-Control Study
1Laboratorio de Sinovio Análisis Molecular, Instituto Nacional de Rehabilitación, Secretaría de Salud (SSA), Calzada México-Xochimilco Número 289, Tlalpan, 14389 México, DF, Mexico
2Departamento de Biología, Facultad de Química, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM), Circuito Interior, Ciudad Universitaria, Coyoacán, 04510 México, DF, Mexico
3Centro Nacional de la Transfusión Sanguínea, SSA. Avenida Othón de Mendizábal 195, Gustavo A. Madero, 07360 México, DF, Mexico
4Immunogenetics Division, Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Médicas y Nutrición Salvador Zubirán (INCMNSZ), SSA. Vasco de Quiroga 15, Col. Sección XVI, Tlalpan, 14000 México, DF, Mexico
Received 29 July 2013; Revised 7 October 2013; Accepted 16 October 2013
Academic Editor: Jorge Fabián Quarleri
Copyright © 2013 Javier Fernández-Torres et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- D. R. Miller and L. P. Miller, “Acute lymphoblastic leukemia in children: an update of clinical, biological, and therapeutic aspects,” Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 131–164, 1990.
- M. F. Greaves, “Aetiology of acute leukaemia,” The Lancet, vol. 349, no. 9048, pp. 344–349, 1997.
- M. Greaves, “Infection, immune responses and the aetiology of childhood leukaemia,” Nature Reviews Cancer, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 193–203, 2006.
- T. A. Graubert and E. R. Mardis, “Genomics of acute myeloid leukemia,” Cancer Journal, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 487–491, 2011.
- C. C. Kumar, “Genetic abnormalities and challenges in the treatment of acute myeloid Leukemia,” Genes and Cancer, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 95–107, 2011.
- M. Belson, B. Kingsley, and A. Holmes, “Risk factors for acute leukemia in children: a review,” Environmental Health Perspectives, vol. 115, no. 1, pp. 138–145, 2007.
- M. L. Pérez-Saldivar, A. Fajardo-Gutiérrez, R. Bernáldez-Rios, A. Martínez-Ávalos, A. Medina-Sansón, J. M. Mejia-Arangure, et al., “Childhood acute leukemias are frequent in Mexico City: descriptive epidemiology,” BMC Cancer, vol. 11, p. 355, 2011.
- L. L. Tirado and A. Mohar, “Epidemiología de las neoplasias hemato-oncológicas,” Cancerología, vol. 2, pp. 109–120, 2007.
- Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI) México, http://www.inegi.org.mx/sistemas/sisept/Default.aspx?t=mdemo107&s=est&c=23587.
- J. M. Mejía-Aranguré, M. Bonilla, R. Lorenzana, S. Juárez-Ocaña, G. de Reyes, M. L. Pérez-Saldivar, et al., “Incidence of leukemias in children from El Salvador and Mexico City between 1996 and 2000: population-based data,” BMC Cancer, vol. 5, p. 33, 2005.
- G. M. Taylor, S. Dearden, N. Payne et al., “Evidence that an HLA-DQA1-DQB1 haplotype influences susceptibility to childhood common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in boys provides further support for an infection-related aetiology,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 78, no. 5, pp. 561–565, 1998.
- S. P. Dearden, G. M. Taylor, D. A. Gokhale et al., “Molecular analysis of HLA-DQB1 alleles in childhood common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 73, no. 5, pp. 603–609, 1996.
- E. Thorsby, “A short history of HLA,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 74, no. 2, pp. 101–116, 2009.
- S. N. Mcadam, J. E. Boyson, X. Liu et al., “A uniquely high level of recombination at the HLA-B locus,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol. 91, no. 13, pp. 5893–5897, 1994.
- A. Acuña, B. Silva, M. Castillo, and J. Granados, “Variación del HLA-B en poblaciones Mexicanas,” Bioquimia, vol. 31, pp. 49–58, 2006.
- F. Lilly, E. A. Boyse, and L. J. Old, “Genetic basis of susceptibility to viral leukaemogenesis,” The Lancet, vol. 284, no. 7371, pp. 1207–1209, 1964.
- F. Lilly, “The inheritance of susceptibility to the Gross leukemia virus in mice,” Genetics, vol. 53, no. 3, pp. 529–539, 1966.
- J. R. Tennant, “Susceptibility and resistance to viral leukemogenesis in the mouse. II. Response to the virus relative to histocompatibility factors carried by the prospective host,” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, vol. 34, pp. 633–641, 1965.
- J. Dausset, “The major histocompatibility complex in man. Past, present, and future concepts,” Science, vol. 213, no. 4515, pp. 1469–1474, 1981.
- R. L. Walford, S. Finkelstein, R. Neerhout, P. Konrad, and E. Shanbrom, “Acute childhood leukaemia in relation to the HL-A human transplantation genes,” Nature, vol. 225, no. 5231, pp. 461–462, 1970.
- A. Svejgaard and L. P. Ryder, “HLA and disease associations: detecting the strongest association,” Tissue Antigens, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 18–27, 1994.
- E. Thorsby, “Invited anniversary review: HLA associated diseases,” Human Immunology, vol. 53, no. 1, pp. 1–11, 1997.
- C. Naugler and R. Liwski, “Human leukocyte antigen class i alleles and the risk of chronic myelogenous leukemia: a meta-analysis,” Leukemia and Lymphoma, vol. 51, no. 7, pp. 1288–1292, 2010.
- E. F. M. Posthuma, J. H. F. Falkenburg, J. F. Apperley et al., “HLA-B8 and HLA-A3 coexpressed with HLA-B8 are associated with a reduced risk of the development of chronic myeloid leukemia,” Blood, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 3863–3865, 1999.
- E. S. Cameron, W. B. Labastide, V. Wilson, W. Charles, Y. Holder, and H. F. M. Reid, “Immunophenotypic and HLA studies in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia in Trinidad, West Indies,” Leukemia, vol. 4, no. 9, pp. 615–619, 1990.
- W. Klitz, L. Gragert, and E. Trachtenberg, “Spectrum of HLA associations: the case of medically refractory pediatric acute lymphoblastic leukemia,” Immunogenetics, pp. 1–11, 2012.
- L. A. Barion, L. Tsuneto, G. Testa, S. Lieber, L. B. Persoli, J. E. Visentainer, et al., “Associação entre HLA e leucemia em uma população brasileira de etnia mista,” Revista da Associação Médica Brasileira, vol. 53, pp. 252–256, 2007.
- F. Rothhammer, C. Silva, S. M. Callegari-Jacques, E. Llop, and F. M. Salzano, “Gradients of HLA diversity in South American Indians,” Annals of Human Biology, vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 197–208, 1997.
- C. C. Villalobos, S. Rivera, J. Weir-Medina, M. Hassanhi, M. Montiel, and R. González, “HLA class I and leukemia association in mestizo patients from Zulia state, Venezuela,” Investigacion Clinica, vol. 44, no. 4, pp. 283–289, 2003.
- H. Haouas, S. Haouas, G. Uzan, and A. Hafsia, “Identification of new markers discriminating between myeloid and lymphoid acute leukemia,” Hematology, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 193–203, 2010.
- M. C. Béné and A. Porwit, “Acute leukemias of ambiguous lineage,” Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology, vol. 29, pp. 12–18, 2012.
- D. C. Anderson and K. Kodukula, “Biomarkers in pharmacology and drug discovery,” Biochemical Pharmacology, vol. 13, 2013.
- G. M. Taylor, S. Dearden, P. Ravetto et al., “Genetic susceptibility to childhood common acute lymphoblastic leukaemia is associated with polymorphic peptide-binding pocket profiles in HLA-DPB1*0201,” Human Molecular Genetics, vol. 11, no. 14, pp. 1585–1597, 2002.
- G. M. Taylor, A. Hussain, T. J. Lightfoot, J. M. Birch, T. O. B. Eden, and M. F. Greaves, “HLA-associated susceptibility to childhood B-cell precursor ALL: definition and role of HLA-DPB1 supertypes,” British Journal of Cancer, vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1125–1131, 2008.
- B. Uchanska-Ziegler, B. Loll, H. Fabian, C. S. Hee, W. Saenger, and A. Ziegler, “HLA class I-associated diseases with a suspected autoimmune etiology: HLA-B27 subtypes as a model system,” European Journal of Cell Biology, vol. 91, no. 4, pp. 274–286, 2012.