- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 709037, 6 pages
A Comparison between 18F-FDG PET/CT Imaging and Biological and Radiological Findings in Restaging of Hepatoblastoma Patients
1Positron Emission Tomography Centre, IRMET S.p.A., Euromedic Inc., 10136 Turin, Italy
2Co-ordinator of PET Pediatric AIMN InterGroup, 10136 Turin, Italy
3Associate researcher of Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies, National Research Council, 00185 Rome, Italy
4Department of Nuclear Medicine and PET/CT Centre, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland, 6500 Bellinzona, Switzerland
5Pediatric Unit, Hospital Cirie' ASL To4, 10073 Cirie' (TO), Italy
6Department of Radiological Sciences, HSR Giglio, 90015 Cefalù (PA), Italy
7Paediatric Oncohematologic Unit, Department of Paediatric Oncology, Regina Margherita Children’s Hospital, 10126 Turin, Italy
8Department of Haematology, Oncology, Immunology and Infectious Diseases, Regina Margherita Children’s Hospital, 10126 Turin, Italy
9Nuclear Medicine Unit, La Maddalena Hospital, 90146 Palermo, Italy
10Nuclear Medicine Unit, Department of Biomedical Sciences and of Morphologic and Functional Images, University of Messina, 98125 Messina, Italy
Received 29 April 2013; Accepted 20 July 2013
Academic Editor: Sherif Heiba
Copyright © 2013 Angelina Cistaro et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- C. E. Herzog, R. J. Andrassy, and F. Eftekhari, “Childhood cancers: hepatoblastoma,” Oncologist, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 445–453, 2000.
- J. B. Litten and G. E. Tomlinson, “Liver tumors in children,” Oncologist, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 812–820, 2008.
- E. M. Chung, G. E. Lattin Jr., R. Cube et al., “From the archives of the AFIP: pediatric liver masses: radiologic-pathologic correlation part 2. malignant tumors,” Radiographics, vol. 31, no. 2, pp. 483–507, 2011.
- J. J. Gregory Jr. and J. L. Finlay, “α-fetoprotein and β-human chorionic gonadotropin. Their clinical significance as tumour markers,” Drugs, vol. 57, no. 4, pp. 463–467, 1999.
- J. Zsíros, R. Maibach, E. Shafford et al., “Successful treatment of childhood high-risk hepatoblastoma with dose-intensive multiagent chemotherapy and surgery: final results of the SIOPEL-3HR study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 28, no. 15, pp. 2584–2590, 2010.
- L. F. Avila, A. L. Luis, F. Hernandez et al., “Liver transplantation for malignant tumours in children,” European Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 411–414, 2006.
- M. Hertl and A. B. Cosimi, “Liver transplantation for malignancy,” Oncologist, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 269–281, 2005.
- B. Parikh, A. Jojo, B. Shah, R. Bansal, P. Trivedi, and M. J. Shah, “Fine needle aspiration cytology of hepatoblastoma: a study of 20 cases,” Indian Journal of Pathology and Microbiology, vol. 48, no. 3, pp. 331–336, 2005.
- S. J. King, P. S. Babyn, M. L. Greenberg, M. J. Phillips, and R. M. Filler, “Value of CT in determining the resectability of hepatoblastoma before and after chemotherapy,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 160, no. 4, pp. 793–798, 1993.
- D. Iacob, A. Serban, O. Fufezan et al., “Mixed hepatoblastoma in child. Case report,” Medical ultrasonography, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 157–162, 2010.
- G. Perilongo, E. Shafford, and J. Plaschkes, “SIOPEL trials using preoperative chemotherapy in hepatoblastoma,” Lancet Oncology, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 94–100, 2000.
- M. S. Figarola, S. A. McQuiston, F. Wilson, and R. Powell, “Recurrent hepatoblastoma with localization by PET-CT,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1254–1258, 2005.
- L. Abbasoǧlu, F. Gün, F. Tansu Salman et al., “Hepatoblastoma in children,” Acta Chirurgica Belgica, vol. 104, no. 3, pp. 318–321, 2004.
- S. Sironi, C. Messa, A. Cistaro et al., “Recurrent hepatoblastoma in orthotopic transplanted liver: detection with FDG positron emission tomography,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 182, no. 5, pp. 1214–1216, 2004.
- K. K. Y. Wong, L. C. L. Lan, S. C. L. Lin, and P. K. H. Tam, “The use of positron emission tomography in detecting hepatoblastoma recurrence—a cautionary tale,” Journal of Pediatric Surgery, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 1779–1781, 2004.
- I. Philip, A. Shun, G. McCowage, and R. Howman-Giles, “Positron emission tomography in recurrent hepatoblastoma,” Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 341–345, 2005.
- R. J. Mody, J. A. Pohlen, S. Malde, P. J. Strouse, and B. L. Shulkin, “FDG PET for the study of primary hepatic malignancies in children,” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 51–55, 2006.
- D. C. Aronson, J. M. Schnater, C. R. Staalman et al., “Predictive value of the pretreatment extent of disease system in hepatoblastoma: results from the International Society of Pediatric Oncology Liver Tumor Study Group SIOPEL-1 study,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 23, no. 6, pp. 1245–1252, 2005.
- J. Pritchard, J. Brown, E. Shafford et al., “Cisplatin, doxorubicin, and delayed surgery for childhood hepatoblastoma: a successful approach—results of the first prospective study of the International Society of Pediatric Oncology,” Journal of Clinical Oncology, vol. 18, no. 22, pp. 3819–3828, 2000.
- P. O. Alderson, D. F. Adams, and B. J. McNeil, “Computed tomography, ultrasound, and scintigraphy of the liver in patients with colon or breast carcinoma: a prospective comparison,” Radiology, vol. 149, no. 1, pp. 225–230, 1983.
- M. A. Amendola, C. E. Blane, B. E. Amendola, and G. M. Glazer, “CT findings in hepatoblastoma,” Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1105–1109, 1984.
- A. Horie, Y. Kotoo, and T. Hayashi, “Ultrastructural comparison of hepatoblastoma and hepatocellular carcinoma,” Cancer, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 2184–2193, 1979.
- K. A. Warfel and M. T. Hull, “Hepatoblastomas: an ultrastructural and immunohistochemical study,” Ultrastructural Pathology, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 451–461, 1992.
- N. Shiojiri, “Enzymo- and immunocytochemical analyses of the differentiation of liver cells in the prenatal mouse,” Journal of Embryology and Experimental Morphology, vol. 62, pp. 139–152, 1981.
- C. D. Patel and R. Kumar, “Positron emission tomography and positron emission tomography-computerized tomography in pediatric patients,” Journal of Indian Association of Pediatric Surgeons, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 120–124, 2007.
- W. T. Yang and P. J. Johnson, “Monitoring response to treatment in liver tumours,” Bailliere's Best Practice and Research in Clinical Gastroenterology, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 637–654, 1999.
- F. Bertagna, E. Orlando, G. Bosio et al., “Incremental diagnostic value of F-18 FDG PET/CT over MRI in a pediatric patient with suspected hepatoblastoma and histologic diagnosis of focal nodular hyperplasia,” Clinical nuclear medicine, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 305–308, 2011.
- E. J. Groen, A. Roos, F. L. Muntinghe et al., “Extra-intestinal manifestations of familial adenomatous polyposis,” Annals of Surgical Oncology, vol. 15, no. 9, pp. 2439–2450, 2008.
- G. Perilongo and E. A. Shafford, “Liver tumours,” European Journal of Cancer, vol. 35, no. 6, pp. 953–959, 1999.
- M. B. McCarville and D. J. Roebuck, “Diagnosis and staging of hepatoblastoma: imaging aspects,” Pediatric Blood & Cancer, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 793–799, 2012.
- F. A. Falix, D. C. Aronson, W. H. Lamers, et al., “DLK1, a serum marker for hepatoblastoma in young infants,” Pediatric Blood & Cancer, vol. 59, pp. 743–745, 2012.
- A. Shammas, R. Lim, and M. Charron, “Pediatric FDG PET/CT: physiologic uptake, normal variants, and benign conditions,” Radiographics, vol. 29, no. 5, pp. 1467–1486, 2009.
- J. P. Finn, M. A. HaIl-Craggs, C. Dicks-Mireaux, et al., “Primary malignant liver tumors in childhood: assessment of resectability with high-field MR and comparison with CT,” Pediatric Radiology, vol. 21, pp. 34–38, 1990.
- G. J. R. Cook, E. A. Wegner, and I. Fogelman, “Pitfalls and artifacts in 18FDG PET and PET/CT oncologic imaging,” Seminars in Nuclear Medicine, vol. 34, no. 2, pp. 122–133, 2004.
- W. Huda and A. Vance, “Patient radiation doses from adult and pediatric CT,” American Journal of Roentgenology, vol. 188, no. 2, pp. 540–546, 2007.
- F. H. Fahey, “Dosimetry of pediatric PET/CT,” Journal of Nuclear Medicine, vol. 50, no. 9, pp. 1483–1491, 2009.