- About this Journal
- Abstracting and Indexing
- Aims and Scope
- Annual Issues
- Article Processing Charges
- Articles in Press
- Author Guidelines
- Bibliographic Information
- Citations to this Journal
- Contact Information
- Editorial Board
- Editorial Workflow
- Free eTOC Alerts
- Publication Ethics
- Reviewers Acknowledgment
- Submit a Manuscript
- Subscription Information
- Table of Contents
BioMed Research International
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 712678, 18 pages
Formulation Development and Evaluation of Hybrid Nanocarrier for Cancer Therapy: Taguchi Orthogonal Array Based Design
Department of Pharmaceutical Science, College of Pharmacy, University of Hawaii at Hilo, 34 Rainbow Drive, Suite 300 Hilo, HI 96720, USA
Received 1 May 2013; Accepted 13 June 2013
Academic Editor: René Holm
Copyright © 2013 Rakesh K. Tekade and Mahavir B. Chougule. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
- N. K. Jain and R. K. Tekade, Dendrimers for Enhanced Drug Solubilization. Drug Delivery Strategies for Poorly Water-Soluble Drugs, John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA, 2013.
- R. G. S. Maheshwari, R. K. Tekade, P. A. Sharma et al., “Ethosomes and ultradeformable liposomes for transdermal delivery of clotrimazole: a comparative assessment,” Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 161–170, 2012.
- B. D. Kurmi, J. Kayat, V. Gajbhiye, R. K. Tekade, and N. K. Jain, “Micro- and nanocarrier-mediated lung targeting,” Expert Opinion on Drug Delivery, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 781–794, 2010.
- P. Dwivedi, R. K. Tekade, and N. K. Jain, “Nanoparticulate carrier mediated intranasal delivery of insulin for the restoration of memory signaling in Alzheimer’s Disease,” Current Nanoscience, vol. 9, pp. 46–55, 2013.
- R. S. Dhakad, R. K. Tekade, and N. K. Jain, “Cancer targeting potential of folate targeted nanocarrier under comparative influence of tretinoin and dexamethasone,” Current Drug Delivery, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 486–500, 2013.
- R. K. Tekade, P. V. Kumar, and N. K. Jain, “Dendrimers in oncology: an expanding horizon,” Chemical Reviews, vol. 109, no. 1, pp. 49–87, 2009.
- M. Chougule, B. Padhi, and A. Misra, “Development of spray dried liposomal dry powder inhaler of dapsone,” AAPS PharmSciTech, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 47–53, 2008.
- R. R. Patlolla, M. Chougule, A. R. Patel, T. Jackson, P. N. V. Tata, and M. Singh, “Formulation, characterization and pulmonary deposition of nebulized celecoxib encapsulated nanostructured lipid carriers,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 144, no. 2, pp. 233–241, 2010.
- S. D. Steichen, M. Caldorera-Moore, and N. A. Peppas, “A review of current nanoparticle and targeting moieties for the delivery of cancer therapeutics,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 48, pp. 416–427, 2012.
- L. Yildirimer, N. T. K. Thanh, M. Loizidou, and A. M. Seifalian, “Toxicological considerations of clinically applicable nanoparticles,” Nano Today, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 585–607, 2011.
- R. K. Tekade, A. Agrawal, B. Arafat, E. Ebdelbari, A. D. Emanuele, A. Jain, et al., “Extraction and RP-HPLC determination of taxol in rat plasma, cell culture and quality control samples,” Journal of Biomedical Research. In press.
- R. K. Tekade and N. K. Jain, “Toxicity and biocompatibility of dendrimer,” Chemical Reviews. In press.
- P. S. C. Sarsambi, K. Chakravarthy, and K. P. Rao, “Spectrophotometric Estimation of Gemcitabine in bulk drug and its Formulation,” IJPI’s Journal of Analytical Chemistry, vol. 1, pp. 18–24, 2011.
- M. Jahanshahi, M. H. Sanati, and Z. Babaei, “Optimization of parameters for the fabrication of gelatin nanoparticles by the Taguchi robust design method,” Journal of Applied Statistics, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 1345–1353, 2008.
- S. F. Shi, J. F. Jia, X. K. Guo, Y. P. Zhao, D. S. Chen, Y. Y. Guo, et al., “Biocompatibility of chitosan-coated iron oxide nanoparticles with osteoblast cells,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 7, pp. 5593–5602, 2012.
- B. Wilson, T. V. Ambika, R. D. Patel, J. L. Jenita, and S. R. Priyadarshini, “Nanoparticles based on albumin: preparation, characterization and the use for 5-flurouracil delivery,” International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, vol. 51, pp. 874–878, 2012.
- S. Bae, K. Ma, T. H. Kim et al., “Doxorubicin-loaded human serum albumin nanoparticles surface-modified with TNF-related apoptosis-inducing ligand and transferrin for targeting multiple tumor types,” Biomaterials, vol. 33, no. 5, pp. 1536–1546, 2012.
- M. G. Anhorn, H.-C. Mahler, and K. Langer, “Freeze drying of human serum albumin (HSA) nanoparticles with different excipients,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 363, no. 1-2, pp. 162–169, 2008.
- B. Yu, Y. Zhang, W. Zheng, C. Fan, and T. Chen, “Positive surface charge enhances selective cellular uptake and anticancer efficacy of selenium nanoparticles,” Inorganic Chemistry, vol. 51, pp. 8956–8963, 2012.
- T. Osaka, T. Nakanishi, S. Shanmugam, S. Takahama, and H. Zhang, “Effect of surface charge of magnetite nanoparticles on their internalization into breast cancer and umbilical vein endothelial cells,” Colloids and Surfaces B, vol. 71, no. 2, pp. 325–330, 2009.
- H. V. Jagani, V. R. Josyula, V. R. Palanimuthu, R. C. Hariharapura, and S. S. Gang, “Improvement of therapeutic efficacy of PLGA nanoformulation of siRNA targeting anti-apoptotic Bcl-2 through chitosan coating,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 48, pp. 611–618, 2013.
- H. S. Lee, M. Q. Yee, Y. Y. Eckmann, N. J. Hickok, D. M. Eckmann, and R. J. Composto, “Reversible swelling of chitosan and quaternary ammonium modified chitosan brush layers: effect of pH and counter anion size and functionality,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 19605–19616, 2012.
- E. A. Azzopardi, E. L. Ferguson, and D. W. Thomas, “The enhanced permeability retention effect: a new paradigm for drug targeting in infection,” The Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, vol. 68, pp. 257–274, 2013.
- H. Maeda, “The link between infection and cancer: tumor vasculature, free radicals, and drug delivery to tumors via the EPR effect,” Cancer Science, 2013.
- S. Thakur, R. K. Tekade, P. Kesharwani, and N. K. Jain, “The effect of polyethylene glycol spacer chain length on the tumor targeting potential of folate modified PPI dendrimers,” Journal of Nanoparticle Research, vol. 15, article 1625, 2013.
- I. Asghari and F. Esmaeilzadeh, “Formation of ultrafine deferasirox particles via rapid expansion of supercritical solution (RESS process) using Taguchi approach,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 433, pp. 149–156, 2012.
- S. Venkata Mohan and M. Venkateswar Reddy, “Optimization of critical factors to enhance polyhydroxyalkanoates (PHA) synthesis by mixed culture using Taguchi design of experimental methodology,” Bioresource Technology, vol. 128, pp. 409–416, 2013.
- P. A. Nagarjun, R. S. Rao, S. Rajesham, and L. V. Rao, “Optimization of lactic acid production in SSF by Lactobacillus amylovorus NRRL B-4542 using Taguchi Methodology,” Journal of Microbiology, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 38–43, 2005.
- J. Varshosaz, S. Eskandari, and M. Tabakhian, “Production and optimization of valproic acid nanostructured lipid carriers by the Taguchi design,” Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 89–96, 2010.
- H. R. F. Masoumi, A. Kassim, M. Basri, and D. K. Abdullah, “Determining optimum conditions for lipase-catalyzed synthesis of triethanolamine (TEA)-based esterquat cationic surfactant by a Taguchi robust design method,” Molecules, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 4672–4680, 2011.
- M. Merodio, A. Arnedo, M. J. Renedo, and J. M. Irache, “Ganciclovir-loaded albumin nanoparticles: characterization and in vitro release properties,” European Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 12, no. 3, pp. 251–259, 2001.
- S. Venkata Mohan and P. Chandra Mouli, “Assessment of aerosol (PM10) and trace elemental interactions by Taguchi experimental design approach,” Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety, vol. 69, no. 3, pp. 562–567, 2008.
- W. Lin, M. C. Garnett, S. S. Davis, E. Schacht, P. Ferruti, and L. Illum, “Preparation and characterisation of rose Bengal-loaded surface-modified albumin nanoparticles,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 117–126, 2001.
- P. Nandal, S. R. Ravella, and R. C. Kuhad, “Laccase production by Coriolopsis caperata RCK2011: optimization under solid state fermentation by Taguchi DOE methodology,” Scientific Reports, vol. 3, article 1386, 2013.
- P. F. Porciani, C. Perra, and S. Grandini, “Effect on dental stain occurrence by chewing gum containing sodium tripolyphosphate—a double-blind six-week trial,” Journal of Clinical Dentistry, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 4–7, 2010.
- M. B. Chougule, B. K. Padhi, K. A. Jinturkar, and A. Misra, “Development of dry powder inhalers,” Recent Patents on Drug Delivery & Formulation, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 11–21, 2007.
- N. Ichite, M. Chougule, A. R. Patel, T. Jackson, S. Safe, and M. Singh, “Inhalation delivery of a novel diindolylmethane derivative for the treatment of lung cancer,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 3003–3014, 2010.
- M. B. Chougule, B. K. Padhi, and A. Misra, “Nano-liposomal dry powder inhaler of amiloride hydrochloride,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 6, no. 9-10, pp. 3001–3009, 2006.
- M. Chougule, B. Padhi, and A. Misra, “Nano-liposomal dry powder inhaler of tacrolimus: preparation, characterization, and pulmonary pharmacokinetics,” International Journal of Nanomedicine, vol. 2, pp. 675–688, 2007.
- B. Kumar Padhi, M. B. Chougule, and A. Misra, “Optimization of formulation components and characterization of large respirable powders containing high therapeutic payload,” Pharmaceutical Development and Technology, vol. 11, no. 4, pp. 465–475, 2006.
- S. Wadher, P. Pathankar, M. Puranik, R. Ganjiwale, and P. Yeole, “Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of paracetamol and metoclopramide hydrochloride in solid dosage form,” Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, vol. 70, no. 3, pp. 393–395, 2008.
- P. Kesharwani, R. K. Tekade, V. Gajbhiye, K. Jain, and N. K. Jain, “Cancer targeting potential of some ligand-anchored poly(propylene imine) dendrimers: a comparison,” Nanomedicine, vol. 7, no. 3, pp. 295–304, 2011.
- R. K. Tekade, T. Dutta, V. Gajbhiye, and N. K. Jain, “Exploring dendrimer towards dual drug delivery: PH responsive simultaneous drug-release kinetics,” Journal of Microencapsulation, vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 287–296, 2009.
- R. N. Prajapati, R. K. Tekade, U. Gupta, V. Gajbhiye, and N. K. Jain, “Dendimer-mediated solubilization, formulation development and in vitro-in vivo assessment of piroxicam,” Molecular Pharmaceutics, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 940–950, 2009.
- M. E. Ramos-Nino and B. Littenberg, “A novel combination: ranpirnase and rosiglitazone induce a synergistic apoptotic effect by down-regulating Fra-1 and Survivin in cancer cells,” Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, vol. 7, no. 7, pp. 1871–1879, 2008.
- H. Maeda, “Macromolecular therapeutics in cancer treatment: the EPR effect and beyond,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 164, pp. 138–144, 2012.
- S. A. Krovi, E. P. Swindell, T. V. O'Halloran, and S. T. Nguyen, “Improved anti-proliferative effect of doxorubicin-containing polymer nanoparticles upon surface modification with cationic groups,” Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol. 22, pp. 25463–25470, 2012.
- H. Maeda, H. Nakamura, and J. Fang, “The EPR effect for macromolecular drug delivery to solid tumors: improvement of tumor uptake, lowering of systemic toxicity, and distinct tumor imaging in vivo,” Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol. 65, pp. 71–79, 2013.
- S. Dreis, F. Rothweiler, M. Michaelis, J. Cinatl Jr., J. Kreuter, and K. Langer, “Preparation, characterisation and maintenance of drug efficacy of doxorubicin-loaded human serum albumin (HSA) nanoparticles,” International Journal of Pharmaceutics, vol. 341, no. 1-2, pp. 207–214, 2007.
- S. S. Vaghani and M. M. Patel, “PH-sensitive hydrogels based on semi-interpenetrating network (semi-IPN) of chitosan and polyvinyl pyrrolidone for clarithromycin release,” Drug Development and Industrial Pharmacy, vol. 37, no. 10, pp. 1160–1169, 2011.
- Y.-I. Chung, J. C. Kim, Y. H. Kim et al., “The effect of surface functionalization of PLGA nanoparticles by heparin- or chitosan-conjugated Pluronic on tumor targeting,” Journal of Controlled Release, vol. 143, no. 3, pp. 374–382, 2010.
- H.-Y. Xue and H.-L. Wong, “Solid lipid-PEI hybrid nanocarrier: an integrated approach to provide extended, targeted, and safer siRNA therapy of prostate cancer in an all-in-one manner,” ACS Nano, vol. 5, no. 9, pp. 7034–7047, 2011.
- L. Li, K. Y. Mak, J. Shi, H. K. Koon, C. H. Leung, C. M. Wong, et al., “Comparative in vitro cytotoxicity study on uncoated magnetic nanoparticles: effects on cell viability, cell morphology, and cellular uptake,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, vol. 12, pp. 9010–9017, 2012.